Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Peacemaker, and I was really hoping it would turn out that the show is set in the Berenstein universe.

Missed opportunity, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Going to be hilarious when people balk at paying money for this poo poo, and the trend either dies overnight or just transfers over to a free clone site.

The whole thing runs client-side, so you can just save the web-page and have your own wordle.

https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/1488275144069898240

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1491509925763338251

Here we go again...

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What the goon consensus on the "His Dark Materials" show, now that the two first seasons are out? I remember the initial reception being pretty muted, and there was barely any discussion of season 2. Worth a watch?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of, I saw that they have Moonbeam City on the service and while that show wasn't good per se it did have some high points. Like Will Forte just continuously naming fake albums in a bid to seem cool.

Moonbeam City had a rough start, but it improved quickly, and I thought the second half was legitimately great. I would have loved to see what they could have done with another season.

It also had a banger title theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz57_qdRSxc

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

I'm 4 episodes into Severance and gently caress me is this a beautifully made television show. Whether or not you're into dramas, thrillers, comedies, or anything made by Ben Stiller, this is worth a look for the direction and cinematography alone. Get your hands on it however you can, it's gorgeous and the title sequence gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

My only inkling of doubt is that they manage to land the seasonal plot. There's still 3 episodes left un-aired so there's no way of knowing if this is just one big edge-job or they manage to build something with proper closure and only a keyhole forward to a second season. I've been really hung up on improperly built seasonal television these past few years so I'm on guard for a possible let-down.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/severance-review-1294293/

Alan Sepinwall watched the whole season, and he says it sticks the landing and that he forgot to breathe during the season finale.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I peaced out after the first episode but following reactions of the show on the larger net and here was a loving delight. The escalating disappointment and then howling rise in derision was perfect.

I've said it before but season 3 of The Killing is a legit great stand-alone crime drama, and it is a pity that everyone was turned off by the first two season. It was fascinating to see the SA thread turn from a mock thread into genuine admiration. Here are some goon reactions:

Alan Smithee posted:

So I checked the AVclub and it's all A's what the hell The Killing? Did Veena Sud get the wheel taken from her what's going on ?

qbert posted:

This season is by far the best of the three and quite standalone. It does feel like a completely different writing staff at times. I've been impressed with some of the story/character choices made this season.

Exploder posted:

I just checked Wikipedia, and it looks like it's pretty much the same writing crew, including Veena Sud. It's night and day between the Rosie Larsen debacle and this. Like I said earlier, I think the writing staff learned their lessons from the first two seasons, which is very rare in television. I can't think of another show that transformed from quite literally the worst thing on television into must-watch television within a year. Just forget the first two seasons happened, check it out, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I just hope they don't screw up the final two episodes.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh wow, that was incredible. I had to stop watching for a while and then come back. I don't think I've been that uncomfortable with television since the ending to the first season of Homeland.

Listerine posted:

Yeah if you ever needed to look to a piece of fiction to convince people the death penalty is a mistake, this would be it. Sarsgaard was exceptional.

Number19 posted:

This season has redeemed the show in my opinion. It's no longer "watch to see how bad it is". It's really good and bordering on great.

If you gave up on this show, watch this season. It's better in every possible way. This last episode was incredible.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

That was one of the best episodes of television ever made, in my opinion. Some show called Bar Rescue is stickied but this wasn't?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/vfarmstrong/status/1519022468282953732

https://twitter.com/DavidOpie/status/1518996537690492928

https://twitter.com/erinmartina/status/1518940732744155137

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1518948007521234951

The new season of Undone is out! I was worried how they were going to handle the ending to season 1, but I watched the first episodes, and my doubts were put to shame. I just hope they go back to the other timeline at some time.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 29, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I also wasn’t really into the idea of a continuation but the premiere was great. More promising than Russian Doll s2 so far. I’m glad I didn’t watch any trailers because I was expecting no Odenkirk whatsoever and even if he goes away later this is already a great amount of him

Odenkirk wasn't in any of the trailers or teaser clips at all. I guess they wanted to keep it a surprise.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Greenwood rules.

It's about time we had a Nowhere Man revival.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

In medias res drives me absolutely nuts.

Tokyo Vice had it too!

I guess it's the natural evolution of the "first 5 seconds of the trailer" thing

In Medias Res is just fine if you start in the middle of the action and then keep going, letting the viewer figure out the background through context and dialogue. "Three weeks earlier" poo poo isn't proper in medias res; It is showing the viewer a trailer for the show they are already watching. It is such a lazy storytelling technique.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I started watching "The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey", and I am pleasantly surprised that it is basically turning into Flowers for Algernon with memory instead of intelligence. The plot is a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. Walton Goggins has invented a drug that cures dementia but only for about four weeks. Samuel L. Jackson must use this brief respite to figure out who killed his nephew.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

I'm just shocked to learn that Laura Dern was only 23 when filming Jurassic Park.

That seems to be a mistake. Laura Dern was born in '67, and Jurassic Park was released in '93. She would have been 26.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching "Boss" with Kelsey Grammar, and this show deserves more attention. It's like House of Cards if Frasier had to pull off the master plan while fighting dementia. I don't know how it flew under my radar for so long.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 12, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

“What if Lodge 49...”

Sold! Too bad it doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere in Denmark.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Netflix has released a bonus Sandman episode, adapting A Dream of a Thousand Cats and Calliope.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob_afyQgEXQ

New Nicholas Winding-Refn show incoming:

Copenhagen Cowboy posted:

Copenhagen Cowboy is a thrill-inducing, neon-drenched noir series set across six episodes which follows enigmatic young heroine, Miu. After a lifetime of servitude and on the verge of a new beginning, she traverses the ominous landscape of Copenhagen’s criminal netherworld. Searching for justice and enacting vengeance, she encounters her nemesis, Rakel, as they embark on an odyssey through the natural and the supernatural. The past ultimately transforms and defines their future, as the two women discover they are not alone, they are many.

I liked parts of Too Old to Die Young, but didn't manage to actually finish it, so we will see if this does a better job. If nothing else, there should lots of beautiful neon.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Throw me some impressive dialogue, and evidence of a structured thesis expressed through the construction of an episode, and I'll genuinely give it a fair shake. I'd love to watch a good space opera. But what little I've synthesised from the show just makes it sound like it's more handsome than a lot of the other D+ fare, with a stronger set piece or two and a different tone.

Here is some dialogue. You can judge for yourself.

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1575164294999973889

I do agree that making the story basically three-episode movies is mildly annoying. The fourth episode in particular just ends abruptly with no sense of closure.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If people like Frasier, I highly recommend watching "Boss", with Kelsey Grammer as the mayor of Chicago, houseofcarding his way through local politics while struggling with early-onset dementia.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 6, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't forget Life on Mars and The Prisoner.

God, the US versions of those were loving GARBAGE.

EDIT: Really the only successful US adaptation of a British show was The Office and even then it was less of an adaptation and more of a completely different show that happened to share the same name.

I really liked the US Prisoner, for what it is worth. It is not remotely in the same league as the UK show, but they did their own thing and told their own story, and I enjoyed it a lot.

I particular loved the twist they did on the non-linear storytelling thing that is ubiquitous in tv shows nowadays: Throughout the show, scenes in The Village are intercut with what appears to be flashbacks to the protagonist's earlier life. It is eventually revealed that these events are actually occurring simultaneously. Because The Village is in the collective subconsciousness, you see, and people in the real world are being subconsciously affected by their village experiences. A lot of people found this to be a lame twist, but I loved it. Non-linear storytelling turning out to be secretly linear is something I haven't seen done before or after.

I will probably catch some flack for defending the show, so I just want to point out that the original SA thread was very positive as well.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Avatar 2 is gonna be fuckin awesome. I did not think so until I went to a rerelease of the first one and they showed a clip at the end. The amount of which those few minutes totally poo poo all over the nearly 3 hours we had watched previously was ludicrous

But did they fix the font?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one disappointed that Weird isn't a completely serious biopic about Weird Al's actual life?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

How can anyone see vampires considering that eyes are the mirrors of the soul?

In the British vampire show "Ultraviolet" with Idris Elba (not to be confused with the movie of the same), there is a scene in which a woman asks a vampire what it feels like to not be able to see yourself in a mirror. The vampire replies: "When I look into your eyes, I don't see myself; there is only you."

Anyway, Ultraviolet is highly recommended. I don't think it is streaming anywhere, but try to track down the DVD's.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/shadowandbone_/status/1600520509757698048

I quite enjoyed the first season, so I am really looking forward to this. Sure, the main plot was super tropey, but it had enough fun b-plots and side characters to make it stand out from the crowd.

It is also nice to see a fantasy show set in a world with WW1 levels of technology, where wizards have to deal with the fact that machine guns are just as effective as fireballs.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

There's actually going to be a second season of Perry Mason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdzl1LjoExQ

I guess he will actually be a lawyer this time, then? Making Perry Mason a washed-out private detective who cheats his way through the bar exam was certainly an interesting choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Peripheral had some issues - in particular the over-the-top James Bond villain dialogue - but the world is interesting and it has a lot of great side characters. I thought they couldn't top Bob, the Geriatric Irish Hitman, but then they introduce Transgender Cyborg Hercule Poirot!

Definitely worth a watch.