Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aardvark! posted:

Maybe this will be good? A Netflix dark comedy starring Kristen Bell. Comes out this month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vik0kdPIxF8

Veronica Mars season 5 taking a very dark and depressing turn :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Definitely Peacemaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIdbMgGHlsQ

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tequila25 posted:

There were quite a few fans that were super upset because they saw the final episode of The Good Place as everyone choosing to step into a suicide machine. I personally loved the whole thing from beginning to end.

Turns out the only good person was Tahani

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

I thought the first episode was a little flat, but really dug the second. The show isnt quite clicking because they're making present day Boba's true motivations a mystery box, so there isn't much for us to connect with in that plot. Also, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, they could really stand to take a lesson from Arrow and have the flashbacks more closely inform what's going on in the present day (also, I totally wouldn't mind hear Boba say someone has failed this desert). At the moment you've got these two stories running on parallel tracks and there doesn't seem to be anything linking the, together. Which again goes back to the mystery nature of the present day story. I suppose.

For me, the flashbacks are failing because why are they only flashing back to this Tusken poo poo(and why is he still hanging out with people who basically captured / enslaved him) when they could go to literally any part of his life before this. Might even help to give him any sort of motivation for what he's doing. Arrow style flashbacks would have definitely been an improvement.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1480335825221169155?t=odDOCMvppHviuPQyz9uRPw&s=19

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_P9DPMuy8

I forgot this was a thing. And it had production problems unrelated to covid so who knows how good it's going to be.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Peacemaker is good. John Cena is killing it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SimonChris posted:

I just finished Peacemaker, and I was really hoping it would turn out that the show is set in the Berenstein universe.

Missed opportunity, IMO.

Where do you think the butterflies are coming from??? :tinfoil:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

Have you people watched the trailer like 8 times or something? Where are you seeing plastic looking CGI?

The final shots with him beating that guy and where he looks at the camera?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQP4VVuyrY
Full trailer for the Apple TV+ series Severance.

This trailer has me way more interested than the first one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

I know the SWAT guys in this show were loving psycho cowboys, but can any Americans with law enforcement knowledge clarify whether it's normal to put 20 rounds with high calibre rifle into each person they take down? I understand the whole "shoot to kill/aim for centre mass" philosophy, but it seemed like overkill. How many clips of ammo do these guys even carry?

Is this a thing played up for Hollywood, a comment on the particular characters in the show or entirely normal behaviour from real life SWAT guys?

Police absolutely magdump at whatever they are shooting at.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He's what Deadpool would be if Deadpool was good and not extremely annoying. So basically not really Deadpool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Man, how bad is it

that the best episode of Book of the Boba Fett so far doesn't have the title character.

It's amazing what happens when the main character has motivation and goals. Also isn't a big dummy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He gets his quests from Navarro. He goes to some desert planet to get baby Yoda (which also has Jawas lol). He also goes to Tatooine later. It's a small galaxy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope it's a show about Javelin.

He got better :v:

Alternate option: Weasel spinoff

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROhH8yBVrns

This somehow looks expensive and low budget at the same thing. Truly impressive.

e: I think it's the lighting. Or also it being uncanny valley. idk

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

‘Halo’ Showrunner to Exit Paramount Plus Series After Season 1

quote:

“On June 25, 2021, it was reported that both Kane and Killien would be exiting as show runners following the completion of season one. Killien had left prior to the start of production, due to him feeling like he wasn't able to fulfill the duties of showrunner, with Kane taking the reins as lead show-runner until post production work had been completed. However, should the show get picked up for a second season, Kane would not return.”

Well this helps explain why that trailer looked kinda lovely.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

I don't like that the trailer didn't have a shot of the titular Halo ring. Like, just give me Master Chief and that cool ringworld thing. Have all the scenes CGI the world curving up in the background.
I haven't even really played the games all that much, but that's the parts I wanna see.

They didn't even use the theme song. Just :psyduck:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5EV2I8Ps7Y

I thought they cancelled all the Joe Exotic related projects. I guess not.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm still in the first episode and it's already great. The little girl tries her hardest to get in a routine where he scrambles to spare her from the truth. But he's just having none of that and dishes out the hard truths!
"Well, the lady can't go back together, because what happened is the magician really sawed her in half, cut through skin, ligament, muscle, bone.
She had instantaneous, probably 90% blood loss and then she went into that black void known as death. Where there is no return. She's gone. Gone forever. She's dead! She's so dead!"
"Yeah, I know. That's what grown-ups call a lie.

I guess he sort of has a modicum of experience with improv.

Turns out this exact scene is also on youtube :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byUHkrl-2sI

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I see they are still doing that extremely busy and terrible space battles. Looks like something out of Revenge of the Sith

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Is this the same Reacher from the Tom Cruise movies? The show description does sound incredibly generic but seems to have great reviews (yours notwithstanding) so I might give it a shot now that i finished Archive.

It is

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7rlZLw9m10

She certainly has the eyes and voice down. Still not sure who wanted this series though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

isaboo posted:

Reacher is ok but the best thing about it is that it made me start watching Banshee again

Haha I was just gonna say that Reacher felt like budget Banshee.

Man I miss Banshee :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I assume this is going to end up as a Raised By Wolves situation where he mostly just directs some and the other person does the heavy lifting.

Milky snake replicant???

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/HaloTheSeries/status/1493705080012427267

lol ALL IN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The only bad thing I can think of for Fillion is him not saying anything after one of his costars on The Rookie quit after a season due to racism on set and he didn't say anything. Or maybe he did eventually but he didn't at the time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

I think this was all from one quote from a random crew member and neither actor has commented/confirmed it.

It was definitely true. At least they were adults about it and told the showrunners before signing on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IRQ posted:

I love Walton Goggins but they are absolutely going to make a very bad tv show with the Fallout license.

The showrunners are the same ones from Westworld so it's basically guaranteed. 99% chance it has to do with EVIL AIs too since that's the only thing they know how to do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of, I saw that they have Moonbeam City on the service and while that show wasn't good per se it did have some high points. Like Will Forte just continuously naming fake albums in a bid to seem cool.

That show could've used a second season. It's certainly better than Archer which has been nothing but callbacks and references to itself for most of it's run now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Raised By Wolves is 100% made by people who a) know they're being cancelled and b) see this as a joyous opportunity.

It is amazing and I am totally here for this wild ride.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SYFYWIRE/status/1500921629282639878

Didn't Negan beat Glenn to death with a baseball bat? I have questions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope this wild show gets a third season, especially after we got some answers and things are starting to come together.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

False posted:

I realize I'm late to the party but were there problems behind the scenes on The Book of Fett?

I just watched the first two episodes and ep 1 was bad to the point it felt like the production got cut short and they had to cut in half-shot scenes in order to hit mandatory universe tie-ins. Like on top of the "bad," some scenes didn't make any sense.

On top of that - just a perfect storm of bad. A weak lead, mediocre foil without much to work with, bad scripts, bad direction, etc.

It was probably just a first draft script because there are a lot of things that don't really make sense like you said. But the real problem is that it makes Boba Fett look like a moron.

One example is that at one point he basically says "I have a lot of money but no hired guns." And then Ming Na Wen informs him that he can solve this problem because money can be exchanged for goods and services. Dude was a bounty hunter his whole life. :psyduck:

Or that other time he decided to dive back into the sarlacc pit wearing his robes because he thought his armor was down there. Which makes no sense because even if he can't remember that his armor was stolen, did he think that he stripped it off before climbing out of the pit? Why would it be down there Boba?

My canon is that the sarlacc pit melted his loving brain. And then melted it some more during his return visit because Boba is very loving stupid.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

consensus is that the show was made because Pedro was doing something else. a villain in the final episode asks, "one thing I don't get: what's your angle in all this?" which is a great meta commentary on the show. the show had no reason to exist and never found one.

:agreed:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

btw the fandom has retroactively decided that the lightspeed ram scene is bad because they're starting from the conclusion that the movie contains nothing of value it "breaks the canon" or whatever

It's bad because it makes no sense that people aren't doing that poo poo all the time since it's a thing that's possible apparently. Both factions would absolutely have fanatics or people desperate enough to volunteer.

Chairman Capone posted:

There is a lot of good with Last Jedi (especially visually) but also a lot of not as good elements (terrible pacing, around half of the character arcs). Ultimately I think you can tell that Rian Johnson was most interested in the Rey/Kylo/Luke/Snoke storyline and everything else got less attention. But I do think that the fact that the fact that everyone thinks the movie was super transgressive is undermined by the movie itself rejecting most of its criticisms.
:words:

:agreed:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

This is a fundamentally backwards way of looking at storytelling. It's a good moment because it made me feel things, any attempt to strip it of meaning because of the logic of the universe is grognard horseshit.

The scene makes perfect sense, and I also don't need some idiotic overexplanation or justification for future non-use of it because who cares?????? Even Rise of Skywalker understood this, because they just basically went "wouldn't work if they're expecting it" and that's a FINE justification for why you can't do it again!

It was a neat scene and certainly got the intended reaction. Then I thought about it after I left the theater and the whole thing fell apart and it became extremely stupid.

I'm glad it works for you though.

Arist posted:

Love that any discussion of this movie turns into people going "that thing you loved when it happened, that made the entire theater go silent with shock and sheer awe, it was actually objectively bad and you didn't like it"

lmao

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Yeah that was some Omaha Beach poo poo.

One review I read said that it looked like the CGI models were missing a texture filter and yep

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1507366043911663638

Oh? Was the showrunner for the Chevy Chase Show unavailable?

Is there some behind the scenes drama or something? Being a showrunner for a late night talkshow seems like the easiest loving gig in the world.

"Just follow the format Jimmy. Monologue, talk to your band once in a while, laugh at all the dumb jokes from your guests."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HOLY gently caress posted:

Happy to hear that Killing Eve is having a good start to the new season :buddy:

Also I’m a few episodes into Raised by Wolves and I can’t stop thinking about how expensive it looks. Like movie-level expensive. Even when I’m not 100% sure what’s happening it’s nice to look at. I’ve read here that it starts to suck after awhile but I’m going to stick with it as long as my lovely attention span lets me

It never starts to suck. If anything, it gets better. And actually answers some questions in s2

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Not Wesley :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Isn't he still friends with the abuser Chris Hardwick? That's enough reason to dislike him.