Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Medenmath posted:

(I don't like the thread poll because it won't let me pick all four options. :mad: )
:hmmyes: The lack of an "all of the above" option is criminal.

Murdstone posted:

The current storyline is a story being told to the Phantom of why he should not go rescue an old ally of his from prison. Somehow this rescue is supposed to lead to the end of the Phantom line, but they're taking their time getting to how that happens. It's kind of annoying, since none of this is actually happening but the strip reads like it is and eventually Phantom is just going to go rescue her anyways.
Pretty sure revealing this poo poo to Savarna is going to be the cause somehow. Except in a break in this story, the phantom already revealed the stuff to his wife so he wouldn't be concerned about it if he ended up at the doctor for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crankshaft has kept acting like Covid is over, though. According to rumors, Batuik operates with a one-year buffer, so whenever he's doing something topical he's loving guessing.

... And doesn't revise it when Covid turns out to be Very Much Not Over by the time the strips run.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts:

It's Peanuts but back when it was actually funny.

And when Snoopy was a dog.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

IT'S NOT loving OVER BATUIK YOU loving HACK :argh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

To be honest it's almost entirely a dunk on Mark Trail, which sucks

but also I do think if your chosen format is irreverent gag-a-day, visual metaphor for your emotional state or pop culture reference, that doesn't exactly qualify you for the kind of basically serious, straight-faced, storyarc-based adventure strip I personally have in mind.
You're aware that there are a lot of serious story arc based webcomics out there right

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unfortunately the previous strip is Estelle going "guess I should page him" so him being missing will be noticed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Calaveron posted:

...oh my god you're right, Wilbur is the only interesting character in this stupid comic. Moy can't kill him off because then what's left? The fat old guy professor who thought the college girl actually wanted to get with him? His stupid, stupid wife? Wilbur's daughter, Wilburina?
Zombie Aldo Kelrast.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Same thing happened to Harry Dinkle. Started out as a regular band leader with foibles.
No I'm pretty sure he started out a a comically ridiculous band teacher when the strip was a wacky gag strip set in high school.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

rannum posted:

Seeing Inari with ChaCha reminds me: didn't chako send him to chacha in one of the first chacha chakos

how'd that work out if she's in another dimension
ChaCha is around food people too, I assumed they were just very far away from each other on the same planet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bimmi posted:

Just the dumbest way to tell a story. What's the endgame supposed to be, here? Phantom reads the whole thing and goes "welp, guess I won't," rendering this entire arc pointless? Or forges ahead anyway with a two-panel "And He Did" anticlimax? Or some SHOCKING TWIST only made possible by this ridiculous, straight-rear end-seeing-the-future deus ex machina poo poo? I'm just invested enough in the outcome to be really loving annoyed with how they've chosen to get there.

in mozz's story he thought he was dying and was the only person who knew how to contact his son, so he told savarna how.

After reading part of the story he told his wife the information. We've already derailed mozz's prophecy but mozz doesn't know that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

Wilbur washed ashore on an island like 12 hours after falling off the boat
Wilbur almost immediately realized it was a resort island
Wilbur apparently has not attempted to contact anybody in the last week

This plot was painstakingly workshopped to be a dumb as possible.
Hopefully it's an abandoned resort island.

also gently caress you crankshaft STOP DOING COVID STRIPS

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Medenmath posted:

If the social media accounts can be managed by two employees on a part time basis, why do you need a separate LLC for this? Is this some kind of weird tax dodge or something?

Holbrook also doesn't seem to know what a "side hustle" is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman

Also, y'know, HIPAA?
The last panel is outside, while the first two were inside. Clearly, Parker didn't go anywhere, these two walked outside before saying that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

As this continues, I'm still struggling to think what the kid did wrong.
Apparently he was not supposed to get on the freeway? I mean, he was not making another stop which is what I think of when I hear "straight home" but they're acting like it was a mistake.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Christmas is coming!

The title is a reference to a 19th century poem about four generations of women musing on the following day's holiday and their lot in life - child and mother are looking forward to tomorrow, for grandmother it's a day of work like any other, and great-grandmother feels on death's door. Then lightning strikes and kills them all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

were funky or les even in the band when the strip was still about bull cramming them into lockers? some terrible part of me wants to hunt down the collections and start posting funky day one just to see how much he has retconned about everyones personalities. but they are hundreds of dollars on ebay so gently caress that

also don't let the smugness of funky cover his crimes in crankshaft, like how he inserted crankshafts son-in-law into the kent state shootings
I know the band director existed in the high school years. Not sure if Funky or Les were in it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Green Intern posted:

I think Funky was a student when Dinkle was band director?
It being the band, not the strip. "Funky Winkerbean" and "Les Moore" are names from when it was a goofy gag strip in a high school, yeah.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

You left out the part where said villain was a Bigfoot/Yeti conspiracy nut, who claimed that said cryptid took his leg, but it was actually juvenile diabetes. Also, dude died in an avalanche. Alone. It was a fuckin trip.

Technically we don't know that he died, Mark and company did not look for him. At all. They just watched him run off and the avalanche and went "well, sucks to be him" and went home.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days July 31, 1958

What is with Beeman and his concern over his words being recorded and used against him in court? Why does this keep coming up? This is feeling like how the Onion political cartoons keep having things that are very personal treated as general concerns, but not a joke.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Beeman is old enough to remember when "breach of promise" lawsuits were a big deal (at least in the media).
Is that link supposed to be to the "reply to my post" link? Did... did I breach a promise?? :ohdear:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The planet Chako lives on is a melon???

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

No, she's basically looking for something to distract Chako so she stops inadvertently destroying the world out of boredom.
Ah, I see.

And she chose a melon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

ChaCha Chako

End chapter 12! (Of 15 - we're coming in to the home stretch.)
... Chako's what-ing whats?

Which one of these things involved in the process is the hazyhorn

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

When did the Trails get a flying car?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ardeem posted:

As awesome as this interspersed flashback is... how the hell did Moz write it down?
He's drawing a comic, obviously.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

oh jesus what the gently caress is wrong with that dog's muzzle

It's hollow.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oh god Tinkerson's Dad don't do that

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikl posted:

And over two hundred grandchildren, according to a previous strip.

Please pay no mind to the implication as to the effects of a population of human-sized creatures growing hundred-fold in numbers over two generations would have on ecology, society, politics, and pretty much everything else.
Holborook sure doesn't. Hell, Living in trees is a local fad, there's still cities with skyscrapers and poo poo. And, you know, cars that run on gasoline, and all the associated industries. But the comic still tries to poo poo on our earth for polluting and such. despite having all the same technology.

Congrats Kudlick now you're down in the list as "was answered by a human".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Fuckin' tabloids, my granddaughter only murdered 75% as many people as they say she did!
No, she did murder as many people she just ALSO sometimes eats vegetables.

Hwurmp posted:

Calvin's classmates yelling at him in unison but instead of "BATS AREN'T BUGS" it's "RABBITS ARE RODENTS"

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

LOL at that fancy cigarette holder, wow. I had somehow managed to forget the detail about how she was just trying to butter him up for a good grade.
It might be a vape thing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Absolutely. I'm just not sure if it'll be her long lost twin that died, or if it'll be something even crazier.

Okay normally I have this strip's back on customers being unreasonable, and admittedly getting upset with the worker isn't helpful, but what's wrong with what this woman's saying? It feels like it's being presented as inherently wrong somehow but it isn't. She doesn't want to kill a tree, so she wants to get a fake one that biodegrades so it also won't harm the planet. That's a completely consistent and logical desire. There's nothing contradictory about it.

e: I guess manufacturing/packaging even a biodegradable tree would still create a lot of carbon emissions so it's kind of contradictory to an extent, and I guess the joke is supposed to mostly be "but an actual tree is the most biodegradable thing of all" but eh, I dunno.
what are you proposing to make the biodegradable tree out of?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 05, 1950)
Boltar is great. :allears:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Guessing Marigold turned herself to stone to hide better and didn't consider how to turn herself back.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Mokke's Calamity

What's Monobun saying?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

He's saying "hai" ("yes") - the original panel is this:

And I thought the strange unreality of it was important.
:hmmyes: Carry on, then.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba
Those of you who were making predictions can be forgiven, as Maruoka Kuzo clearly has no idea how drug dealers work.
:prepop:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gleebster posted:

And on Sunday:

A skateboard is in a closet, but these two kids have never heard of skateboards? What the hell is up with this thing? I can get a slow reveal, but this is just too much.
I haven't been keeping the greatest track of this one, but I'm getting the feeling the reason we never see adults is that there aren't any around.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

This is how I eat sushi, I had no idea that it was wrong:ohdear:
I don't care this is how I eat it too. :colbert:

MagpieConcept posted:

I think (and food nerds correct me if I'm wrong) this is because ginger is supposed to be a palate cleanser when going from one type of sushi to another.
I don't generally order more than one or two kinds anyway as a side, so. Gotta do something with the ginger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Isn't the Classicer Mandrake storyline supposed to be set in the then-present of the 50s?