Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

Some lol takes from the latest yougov/economist poll:

Also, more Dems than Republicans think there will be a peaceful transfer of power after the 2024 presidential election, but overall most voters think it'll be fine:

Yeah, broadly speaking a year out from it happening, America in general seems to be actually kind of a-okay with the coup when it all shook out, and that actually the folks who tried it had some pretty cool ideas and should be given the power to act on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's a semi-normal thing for high-profile trials.

Oprah did an entire hour-long primetime interview with all of the O.J. Simpson jurors in the 90's.

Most of the jurors in the recent high-profile police cases have talked to the press afterwards.

Yeah, one of the Zimmerman jurors went on CNN while people were protesting the verdict live on camera and basically "gently caress, I should have said 'guilty', why didn't I say 'guilty'? I wanted to say 'guilty' but my brain no work good daaaaaaaa." Just to add to the outrage and embarrassment of the whole ordeal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

They've been telling us this since before I was able to vote, and I'm old.

Good news, after this and most definitely the 2024 election, you will never hear it again :ssh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Remember when George W. Bush used one of his State of the Union speeches to promise to ban experimentation and research on creating human-animal hybrids for medical purposes and everyone laughed at how silly it was?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1480646441420873730

We should have listened, because 18 years later, the first genetically engineered human-pig hybrid has been created and its heart now beats in the chest of a human/human hybrid. It's only a matter of time until the human-pig hybrids get tired of being used as organ donors.

And here I was thinking the world’s first actual animal-human hybrid would be some super hot sexually confusing lion or tiger guy, not some fat dude with a pig heart.

Reality continues to disappoint.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kanos posted:

Yeah, space heaters are ludicrously dangerous fire generating death boxes even when they're brand new, and a lot of people will leave them running for long periods of time or even fall asleep with them on.

I remember as a young kid my sister and I had a pair of soft fuzzy kiddie chairs that we'd sit in in the family room in the winter when we'd watch family movies and we had a space heater behind them, like one of the early model ones that was basically a giant suped up open-air toaster with the metal strips that heated up. One of us, I can't remember who, leaned back too far one time and the heat that thing put out was so intense, the chair caught on fire and we had to scramble to put it out. The whole family learned a valuable lesson real fast.

I've never trusted a space heater since then.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lil poopendorfer posted:

I remember all the hullabaloo about stem cell research, and here we are 20 years with a big fat nothing.

Yes, I know research is ongoing and “promising future developments” are on the horizon but man what a wet fart all that was

And a big part of that was the US outlawing it and stymieing global research efforts by a probably couple decades itself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's been jokes about elder abuse for ages, and are probably also on the money.

Funny thing is between Harris being obviously both callous and wildly incompetent, and Pelosi probably also being senile, there really is probably no one actually in charge of the US right now. Which explains a lot.

Mitch McConnell is currently running the United States, but because he’s also a decrepit old gently caress who doesn’t want to do anything and only wants to see things get worse, there is still functionally no one running the United States.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

Has this been weaponized into a right wing talking point yet?

https://twitter.com/CNBCtech/status/1482083244669648898

BIDEN-FLATION!!!! (shakes fist)

The only time the right wing cares about Netflix is for culture war bullshit and screaming about how woke everything is becoming now because women and black people are showing up on their TV screens more often and it makes them mad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the CIA's record on this the more plausible lol answer is that they developed a magic ray gun and they've been using it on each other for pranks

Honestly, the idea that the CIA and/or DARPA has some sort of poo poo Your Pants Gun is the most plausible part of this whole nonsense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Manchin is still fairly popular in West Virginia.

Sinema, I am not sure what exactly her plan is.

https://twitter.com/kerryeleveld/status/1484209026095214593

Sinema’s plan is chuckling vacantly like clown on LSD and then walking directly into the nearest closed door. Her bank account is already loaded with all the bribe cash she needs to survive on once she gets booted out of office… in another four years. Her job is done.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dubar posted:

Do you actually believe that the democratic party is not incompetent enough to ever field Sinema as a presidential candidate? She might be galaxy brain

Sinema is probably Dunning-Kruger stupid enough to try and run for president, but literally no one is going to vote for her. Not even herself, probably.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VorpalBunny posted:

In the Current Events thread, we aren't taking about the revelation of the Giuliani/GOP paper trail to coordinate with the Trump Campaign and GOP officials to submit forged election files just before 1/6?
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/20/politics/trump-campaign-officials-rudy-giuliani-fake-electors/index.html

I’ve been watching Rachel Maddow cover this story on and off for the last week and a half and she’s been like “Okay, this stuff is clearly co-ordinated and coming from a single source. Just who’s behind it all?”

And it turns out the answer is literally just “It was Rudy.” Holy poo poo lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

Imagine you're a reporter and you last name is slang for a turd.

Not only that, you're the SON of a report whose last name is slang for a turd. So not only is he the Dooce, he's also Dooce #2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

:allears: I can't imagine how that could possibly backfire!

It already did. The Obama Administration all-but kicked Fox out of the briefing room because it was a right-wing propaganda machine that in fact had no business being there among legitimate news sources, and the "legitimate news sources" went to bat for it and bullied the White House into taking questions from Fox against everyone else's better interests and judgements because corpo media is all secretly right-wing and pro-disinformation at their core.

Any chance to properly de-legitimize Fox has long since blown away in the wind.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Abner Assington posted:

Hamilton comes off as a crazy "nobody really likes this fuckin' guy except Washington, and even then that's questionable" kind of guy in the series. I feel like John Adams has overall aged pretty well.

Honestly the best part of Hamilton in my opinion is "The Adams Administration". Just a solid minute of everything going to poo poo for Hamilton after Washington leaves office punctuated by "Sit dooooown John, YOU FAT MOTHERFUCKER! :byodood:" Which, again, plays into the view that Hamilton really was just this unhinged motherfucker, especially when it came to John Adams and would light himself on fire if it meant he could burn John Adams down too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SpeakSlow posted:

We could build the perfect candidate, but the needed combination of political ideals, background and backing would be considered offensive as gently caress if it didn't happen naturally.

Yeah, anybody coming at Nanny P with eyes to take either her seat or her leadership role would be purity tested into oblivion from the left and whatever molecules survived that would be obliterated by corporate cash and messaging doctrine from the center. It's a no-win scenario.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bishyaler posted:

Who can live up to her legacy of clapping at Trump, tearing up a speech, mocking climate change legislation, and insider trading

Not a clue, but whoever tries will be ripped to shreds to the Dem machine trying to save her rickety rear end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah people think those old giant cars would protect you instead of the new "plastic crap".

Click here to watch a 2009 Malibu absolutely obliterate a Bel Air

I felt so bad for the test dummy in the red Rover 100 whose head COMPLETELY missed the airbag and went directly into the side dashboard. Like it inflated too late to cushion the impact, but juuuust late enough to guide the driver's head into the absolute worst possible spot that it could go in an accident. Holy gently caress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Maybe I'm cynical, but I can't even think of a political zinger/rhetorical argument that would really motivate or change a significant amount of votes anymore.

Outside of just bringing up something horrible the other candidate did and doesn't actually deny, like Roy Moore or Christine O'Donnell.

I guess you gotta fill those scheduled tweets with something, though. It feels like a lost of wasted typing just going into the aether.

Edit:

John Fetterman is a confirmed Goon.

Meeting the President, at a disaster site, in the snow, and wearing gray cargo shorts, a hoodie, and slip-on dress shoes.

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1487149491643838464

He looks like the rural version of Kingpin from Into the Spider-Verse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The FBI has found the people who called in the bomb threats to 20 different historically black colleges and universities to "celebrate" the start of Black History Month.

Apparently, they are a bunch of lovely 17-year olds who spoofed cell phone numbers over VOIP.

If this were 20 years ago, this would scream "4chan," but I don't know if the kids have an equivalent place for lovely computer nerds to become Nazis and call in bomb threats or SWAT teams today or if they still use 4chan.

The FBI is considering them hate crimes.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1488936795194724355
https://twitter.com/LukeLBarr/status/1488651083685797889
https://twitter.com/LukeLBarr/status/1488969305991569412

Probably Discord. Discord is loving chock to the gills with Nazis, Nazi-adjacent individuals, and Nazi recruiters. Hell, any nerdy shut-in teenager on the internet these days sits on the precipice of a straight vertical slide into white supremacy. All you need to do is start watching a few videos about nerd-oriented content on YouTube and within an hour the algorithm has landed you on some seig heiling Wolfenstein cosplayer's channel that's gonna teach them the 14 Words and gently suggest that "something should be done about" [insert minority here].

Steve Bannon showed folks the playbook and they've been out there like an evil version of the Catcher in the Rye, grabbing as many at-risk kids as they can and turning them into little fashy drones like these little pubes behind the bomb scare plot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SourKraut posted:

And the Kardashians

edit:

I don't at all disagree with your post, but you do, uh, realize that Wolfenstein's whole thing is killing Nazis?

For the sake of clarity I should have said "Wolfenstein Nazi-cosplaying". The E-fash these days love the Techno-Nazi look of Wolfenstein and are quite vocally mad about how the game demonizes Nazis for some inconceivable reason :thunk:

Case in point, this doomcock:

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1313291961877495809

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Capitol Police are apparently having a busy day today.

https://twitter.com/ReporterCioffi/status/1489302921892311052

Allegedly, someone sent in a threat and another person went through the metal detector with a gun. They aren't sure if they are related or if the threat is real.

Don’t most Republican house members carry guns through metal detectors and threaten to shoot up the place on a weekly basis these days? Does anyone know where Majorie Taylor Green or Lauren Boebert are?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The American remake of Squid Games is a lot less creative.

https://twitter.com/artnet/status/1488945096192143368

brb, gonna go rent a flatbed and steal a cube

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

Nicole Wallace regularly floated him as a potential dark horse presidential candidate.

The C-SPAM Bastapocalypse is still the best mass banning event in SA’s history.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pure Liquid Ice posted:

Trump is anti-charisma.

Reagan was charismatic.

Bush Jr is charismatic.

Trump cannot be described as charismatic any more than Gilbert Gottfried.

Trump has the ability to grab control over attention and command a room through sheer bellicose brute force, but that does not make him charismatic. Not in the slightest.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Majorian posted:

Really? In my mind, that absolutely makes him charismatic. To me, that's a textbook example of charisma.

You can be a loud attention grabbing boor without being charismatic. Trump has the charisma of an exploding potato. It's loud and makes you look in its direction to see the chunks flying, but there's no there there, especially after the explosion is finished.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

So you'd say Hillary is charismatic too?

By this standard, literally anyone capable of filling up a moderately sized room and then talking for any length of time without people walking out in droves is charismatic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Orange County Sheriff's Office released Bob Saget's autopsy results.

He died from head trauma. He fell, hit his head, went to sleep, and died in his sleep.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/09/entertainment/bob-saget-cause-of-death/index.html

That was the same thing that almost killed Michael Hogan from Battlestar Galactica two years ago now. He was at a convention, fell and hit his head and suffered traumatic brain injury and is now paralyzed on the entire his left side of his body. It's kind of scary how this kind of stuff can take you right out. I think he also just tried to sleep it off instead of going to the hospital immediately and by the time he woke up the next day it was too late.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 10, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seriously, I want to take this picture back to like September of 1980 and run it on national television just saying "This is image is from 40 years in the future. This is what electing Ronald Reagan leads to. Good luck, America." and see what happens.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Not as apocalyptic as that one time

Ask anyone living in Northern California if the last few years have been apocalyptic enough yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

I await my eventual disappointment.

Somehow he'll weasel his way out of this.

Eric pled the fifth over 500 times in a deposition from the same prosecutors on the same case. Expect Ivanka, Junior, and Donnie to do the same and the legal system to just shrug and go "I guess we can't prosecute them because they didn't say anything" like the January 6th Commission did with all the stooges who also pled the fifth or just didn't show up.

Then again Alex Jones tried this level of bullshit with the Sandy Hook defamation case it absolutely backfired on him catastrophically. But Jones is just some moderately rich crank who hocks pills filled with sawdust, he's not actually "powerful" rich like Trump is, so we'll see if that cushion of inertia that Trump rides around on and gets away from everything scot free on is still as frictionless as it was a year and a half ago.