Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
John Waters would be really disappointed in y'all for saying Vince looks like Garage Sale Vincent Price with that mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Great post.

Would the timeline be right for Little Shop of Horrors to serve as a possible explanation for the evil dentist gimmick? I can only imagine what Vince might have thought when he saw Martin's sadistic dentist on screen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Prof. Crocodile posted:

And as a result of that fateful meeting, sports entertainment was born. Just think, without Gorgeous George there would be no Connor McGregor press conferences or Skip Bayless TV shows.

Terminatoring up here and setting my time machine to "Gorgeous George's first match"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crowetron posted:

did they let Statler and Waldorf commentate?

I don't think so, but Sheamus reunited with his cousin Beaker.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Ironically the same list of stuff I posted.

Honestly, I think between the concussion issue in pro wrestling and 'you are what you pretend to be', I think Terry Bollea is less a liar and more he can no longer really tell the difference between his recollections, stories, and lies and the actual truth. It all just slushes together in his brain. I mean, hell, look at the last page's examination of Ric Flair's sad state. It's the same thing: Ric Flair utterly consumed Richard Felair and Ric Flair is not a way for a person to live. Same with Ultimate Warrior: the gimmick ate him alive.

That's one part of wrestling being 'fake' that the bad faith critics never consider: these men and women are stuck in their roles for longer than any other acting type. I mean yeah, you can point to say, Daniel Day Lewis and his insane method acting, but he only lost himself inside Bill the Butcher or Abraham Lincoln for several months at most, then he got to change roles or be himself if he wanted, and any sane person doesn't expect an actor to be the same as their character all the time (at best you might get them to briefly pull them out, like Giancarlo Esposito occasionally slipping into Gus from Breaking Bad's skin for a few seconds for a selfie bit) But wrestlers have to be 'the gimmick' so much more, and everyone expects them to be that way. And the quote is dead accurate. Be careful who you pretend to be, because you are who you pretend to be. Mixed with human failings, and well...

Hogan's instincts as a politician/bullshit artist probably aren't helping. They are the kind of deep-seated behavior/character trait that can persist even in people whose brain is mostly mush. There have to be some lights in Hogan's brain whenever someone asks him a question that make him go "Got to spin this, brother!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GolfHole posted:

wrestling is fake, the muscles are inflated, the 'snake' on santino marella's hand is just a well-trained ferret, vince drew that mustache on with a pencil, the undertaker did not throw mankind 16' off the cage it was actually just 16",

Undertaker threw Mankind off Hulk Hogan's penis???

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Watching it again I'm not sure how he was supposed to conceal a pipe considering he had no sleeves so I may be mistaking what actually happened.

I think there was no attempt at subterfuge, he straight up was supposed to have the pipe in his hand and straight up lost it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I've wonder how schools like that would fair today in the age of social media and not just word of mouth and name recognition. When all you know about it is Chris Jericho and guys like Cornette, who never attended and I don't think ever actually trained, telling secondhand stories, it's going to sound like the golden age. The nature of the business, even more so back then, didn't allow people to say anything negative about established people like Hart, who also ran a promotion, because it could end your career. While I think Stu was definitely among the better trainers and people from his era, it was a low bar and I'm sure he definitely wasn't the saintly grapple grandpa people make him out to be.

I mean, the schools being like that back then was a result of and contributed to the business being and staying carny as gently caress. It is a vicious circle that can only really be broken out of by calling attention to it, lots and lots of attention. It wouldn't change from within, because why change what's clearly working? Just ignore the pile of dead drug addicts over there...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

You probably had to be mindful of your momentum, too. Fail to go upwards in WCW, you are very likely to fall downwards. It's an absolutely toxic working environment that encourages absolutely bullshit behavior, but I imagine Nash was very aware that if he didn't take on the job as booker and just do whatever, they might have a feud with Hacksaw Jim Duggan ready for him, fighting for the custody of Duggan's secret child... Kevin Nash!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Let's go xpack!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

If Kevin Nash was a Game of Throne character, and he might very well have been in WCW, his house motto would have been "après moi, le déluge".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Gone, whatever it was.

A Japanese fan telling Jon Moxley that his tattoo was misspelled and meant "bath wrestling" or something. Which is probably a Thing and I find it impolite to try and call out Moxley for his kinks.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Deki posted:

Chikara seems like it was a loving trip.

When I win a few million dollars, I will hire Robert Rodriguez to turn some of Chikara's Wikipedia pages and posts like that into a movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fair, especially with how much of that is just plain tied in with toxic masculinity and rich and famous lifestyle expectations of that generation. But I think Vince's whole thing of never really turning the gimmick off until it takes over his life has probably been a considerable influence on these loud muscle men apparently getting the same problem, which becomes even moreso when you forgot you're only supposed to pretend to have brutal blood feuds.

There is also the business aspect where wrestling "was" really loving carny and insane behind the scenes too, promotions snatching stars from each other, wrestlers protecting their image or status every way they could, even if they had to break someone's leg or shoot them or hit them with a squeegee. How do you remain normal in the face of a boss who just beat up a rival promotor with a sock filled with pennies?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The saga around the legal battle with Warrior's lawyer is what brought me to SA's frontpage.

Thank/gently caress you, Warrior!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

that time vince tried to hold the saudi government up for more money and had multiple wrestlers got taken hostage in an airport by the saudi government lol

The Bludgeon Bros' hammers were taken to safety on Vince's private jet. Not the Bludgeon Bros though, they sat in the hostage plane.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gavok posted:

I have my own strange armchair theory about Hogan's racist statements. The short of it being, "Hulk Hogan doesn't actually hate black people, but he WILL tell the wife of an rear end in a top hat shock jock that he hates black people because he thinks that will make him look cool in the moment." It's still racism, but it's more in line with the sad way Hogan's mind works.

Plus part of it is that I just can't see him keeping that kind of behavior under wraps so well for years. He pissed off a lot of people and you'd think somebody would have referenced it against him.

Occam's Scott Hall suggests that they were all racist too and didn't even notice that Hogan was being problematic. But yeah, given Hogan's pathology, he'd easily be racist just to impress.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Nic should wear Old Lifted Man Vince make-up even when playing teenage Vince.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vandar posted:

The man is a legit hard worker. He sleeps like three to four hours a night at best and is working for the majority of his waking hours. He's never taken a vacation. He micromanages everything, and on top of all his wrestling work he's constantly tried to expand out into other businesses.

He's like a goddamn machine that has it's off button broken.

Too bad he's poo poo at working, the stuff he micromanages is noticably worse for his influence.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well yeah. He's the very common kind of micromanager control freak that needs to have literally everything be His Work and have his mark on it regardless of whether it's any kind of improvement, and has to make sure nobody gets to succeed or accomplish anything in a way that he can't take credit for. Actual success is worthless if it's not his success, done his way.

He even does the classic move of finally hiring someone to do x to shut up the people telling him he needs to delegate, and then makes sure they have no actual power or contribution by continuing to override or micromanage everything they do until they give up and become a yes-man or quit.

That's a great way to describe that type of person. I am feeling a little uncomfortable with leaving it at "He's a really a hard worker" because of the positive connotations that description carries. Vince is a work-hoarder; around two thirds of the work he is doing could and should be left to other people.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

He enjoys every time he farts, which is probably what was going on during that du-rag strut

Enjoying farting but despising sneezing, the man is a hypocrite!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gavok posted:

Tonight on AEW, actual slasher movie villain Leatherface did a run-in during a Jeff Hardy vs. Jeff Jarrett match.

Tonight on TNA, you mean.

Right?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Well, the CM certainly doesn't stand for Counselling and Mediation

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he has to go back to ufc and get his rear end kicked by a rookie again theres nowhere else for him

Isn't UFC merged with WWE now?

Maybe he gets to get his skinny fat rear end kicked by Loser Paul. Battle of the failures.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Who's he gonna apologize to in the WWE locker room next, only to be kindly asked to leave after Paul calls his boss?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'm rather quick to point and laugh at Punk because, lol, but I'll admit that I just did some cursory googling about what happened. Does anyone have any details on hand yet what happened and how much of a dipshit Punk now definitely proved himself to be?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gavok posted:

It was kind of amazing watching Dynamite, taking place in Chicago, after the All In incident and not hearing a single "CM PUNK" chant. People are just loving tired.

people like to make fun of Cody and they should, but I feel like completely ignoring Punk for this bullshit is infinitely more cruel and more deserved and also way funnier.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SatansOnion posted:

ngl, it bums me out a little because I'd hoped--foolishly, it would seem--that Punk might come to understand that carrying all that paranoia is destructive to him and everyone around him, and that it wouldn't, in fact, kill him to chill out and unclench for a fuckin minute

but to hell with all that, Pepsi Phil's Big Bridge Torch goes brrrrr phwoooomf. and in the face of that, what's left to do but lol, and then lmao

You'd think the affirmation he'd get from being one of the top dogs of a rising company would give him enough to maybe outweigh his issues, and that maybe age and wisdom had calmed his temper... but he apparently only has gotten worse in every conceivable way over time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The best revenge is living well, and AEW has proven to be really good at revengening.

CM Punk will probably go back to WWE someday out of sheer spite, and WWE will take him out of sheer spite. Neither party really knowing whe the spite is directed at.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

X JAKK posted:

They should make a movie about that.
Call it Coliseum Entertainer
Starring Dean Ambrose.

Death Circus

and its sequel

Death Circus II

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Well, sure, I get it. I mean that's why I don't want to just call him a wuss. But realistically Punk probably wasn't going to strangle him to death in front of witnesses. Although, he IS a wrestler...

This is a really stupid way to look at such situations and makes you look like a huge Internet Tough Guy.

:goonsay: Surely a rational person would know that physical interaction with lethal outcome is highly unlikely in that situation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Well I see where this is going but I do maintain CM Punk murdering Tony Kahn seems highly unlikely

Nobody is saying it is likely.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cubone posted:

if you watched the footage it super looked like nothing but I guess those equipment boxes weigh like ten thousand pounds and the edges are made of swords

Good against COVID, those boxes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jim cornette and cm punk have a lot in common they both get into physical altercations over stupid poo poo and take the most minor and stupid poo poo about wrestling dead serious even when no one else gives a poo poo ... two sides of the same coin

It would be one thing if people like Cornette and Punk were the only alternative for how entertaining wrestlers can be and act. Like, there are so many examples of great wrestlers with toxic personalities that one is tempted to suggest that being great at wrestling requires being a total shithead.

But then you watch New Day playing some video games or Daniel Bryan doing anything and you quickly realize that Punk and Cornette have no excuse. They are assholes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can’t listen to Jim Cornette because the constant throat clearing makes me feel like I need a lozenge.

I don't listen to Cornette at all but this makes me want to hear him in a dual lecture with Zizek where the constant hrmpfs and snorts would drive any listener insane.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This was kind of where I was going with my original comment. This story paints the dude as someone who is so accustomed to and/or uncomfortable with face-to-face confrontation that his mind immediately goes to 'OMG I'm gonna die' at the first sign of physical conflict. And if that's true it would make him a wuss by definition.

What happened was a little more than that. Being uncomfortable in the face of violence should be the norm, and that is what had happened. Punk choked someone and then got in the face of someone else. Being afraid doesn't make that someone a wuss, come the gently caress on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I absolutely believe that Tony absolutely did not fear for his life and he’s just doing PR right now.

I don’t think Wrestling is a good audience for this kind of PR but that’s Tony for you

Mostly because the Wrestling audience is going to call him a wuss for what happened while shriveling into a pile of sobbing flesh when met with even the slightest form of social push-back.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

If anyone lunges at me I will suplex them, put them in camel clutch, break their back, then gently caress him in rear end and THEN they will be HUMBLE. But I am no...uh, Michael Jacksons. Yes, God bless. Thank you Gene Mean.

Nah, you will calmly assess that this situation will not require such action and then communicate those plain facts to the aggressor, disabling them with your superior perception and reasoning power.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cubone posted:

that's punk's gimmick

To say this happened and everybody got up and clapped, sure. The thing is there is a concerning number of goons (i.e. bigger than one) who will actually suggest there is some merit to this bullshit view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cubone posted:

I don't find it that concerning. what are they gonna do, be wrong to death?

Give others the idea that this is a healthy way to look at things.