Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Discord arbitrarily hosed over a lot of people whose public-facing username does legitimately matter to them, like artists and streamers. Because now the "real" one could well be username123, or therealusername, etc, instead of username simply because they lost out on that lottery.

And they did it because a minority of users had trouble with the #0000 system. Literally their explanation was "40% of users we queried had trouble understanding it". Guess what's a bigger percentage than 40%, Discord?

I prefer the old username system but I feel I should point out that UX isn't democracy. A feature that causes problems for 40% of users is a badly implemented feature. The scale here isn't most users but enough users.

Not exactly equivalent but if you read that 40% of people got cancer living near a factory you wouldn't be going "Guess what's a bigger percentage than 40%, environmentalists!"

I feel there could have been a better middleground - like I think trying to even find those 4 digits was a bit of a ballache, right? For example on the battle net app you click your name on the top right to see your numbers while in Discord you had to open discord your settings tab iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Nope, just click on a person's name and it shows up on the little pop-up.

I'm talking about your own name. The use case they mention is "how do I tell my friend my discord username" and two main barriers were finding the four digits and getting capitalisation right.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Quote != edit

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 7, 2023

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're looking at 40% of an arbitrary sample group who'd willingly participate in a survey for Discord, and extrapolating out from there.

That 40%'s not gonna be even close to actually 40% of your actual demographic. Especially when the universal response has been "What the gently caress are you doing, Discord?!"

That's how all statistics works. It's what everything from medical testing to screen testing is based on. Is it ironic that we just had a conversation about anti-vax people being dumb and now we're using the same anti-vax talking point on the impossibility of full population testing?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is if you want consistent branding and visibility for your art or modelling work, or streaming socials, and someone else snags your username first.

This is part of why I said I prefer the old system and said I felt they should have done a better job finding a middleground. You don't need to convince me we have the same opinion.

Our only difference is that I understand that problems don't need to impact a majority of people to be a problem that needs fixing. I'm not going to defend their bad attempt at fixing, I just felt it was important to call out such a weird position as "if a majority does not have a problem it's not really a problem." If a big enough group has a problem it's a real problem that needs to be fixed. Ideally fixed in a way that doesn't cause problems for another large group, which we both agree that Discord failed to do.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Scrolling up to see that the parent tweet shows a journalist casually talking about how he never mentioned in his original article that he witnessed the sub getting lost for 5 hours and Internet was shut off to stop people tweeting. :dafuq:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

waffle iron posted:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1671257730646958084

It disables all the attention monitoring/warnings/alerts.

the verge posted:

the hacker states that the system still seems to change lanes randomly and ends up driving slow on the highway.

Maybe a rogue dev at tesla implemented a special mode for Elon with no warnings and bad driving on highways as part of a convoluted murder plot.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I looked at a submarine tweet and got hit with blaring audio from an ad. I don't usually use twitter but is this normal? I thought the world got together and eliminated the idea of Internet ads with auto playing audio like 20 years ago.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I have some shocking news for you about Twitter

Just when I thought I understood how bad it is I learn I can still be surprised by its awfulness.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Renreeja posted:

so, at those pressures is there any tests etc. with ballistic gel, like are we talking your whole body gets smashed into a thimble sized ball with the remainder just a red cloud? I was thinking even a scrap of skin at those pressures would just, i dunno, dissolve?

Based on math someone did in the main thread:

You'd get turned into a fine red mist almost instantly, to fast for your nervous system to tell your brain that you're hosed. The rapid pressurisation would heat the remaining air to about 20,000 C, which would cause the fine red mist to ignite kind of like how the piston in a diesel engine works. The force of the ignition would still pale in comparison to the 160 atmospheres of pressure and everything that was inside the sub would get squished into a small area.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Oh, maddox. There's a name I haven't seen in a long time.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The Verge posted:

[Musk] has talked about being in “real hard-core street fights” when he was growing up in South Africa.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Can someone ask Elon's Mom to intervene here like she did with the cage fight?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Didn't Elon's Mum stop the fight or is it back on now?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I think one issue with all the rate limit fixes getting posted is people still don't understand that that Elon is lying about it being a daily limit. Usually these systems just block you for a few minutes or whatever, which is about as long it takes to perform the "fixes."

It's like if you saw lightning once and did a little dance before the thunder came and decided that the dance is what caused the thunder.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Amphigory posted:

While you're all laughing at the bird site you're missing this beauty:

https://www.reviewgeek.com/158156/introducing-the-tesla-reacher-a-ridiculous-uk-exclusive/

He's not making Teslas for the UK market anymore, so instead we get "The Reacher" - an over engineered rubbish picker, for grabbing car park tickets you can't reach from the driver's seat...

Good luck not dropping your bank card as you try to pay for parking. Can't wait to be stuck behind these fuckers trying to exit a car park

This makes me genuinely worried that none of the US tech bros working on AI driving are considering how to handle driving on the other side of the road. I expect they won't think about this issue until a Tesla in the UK immediately switches lanes and smashes into oncoming traffic.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

You say this like you think it’ll stop Musk/some other techbro from suggesting exactly that.

No one could have predicted that our AI driving software couldn't parse bɘƨolƆ bɒoЯ

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The threads logo looks like an & and an @ both walked into that machine from the fly.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

That lepers colony has sold me on bluesky.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think these privacy labels come from a good place but are misleading. If I install an adblocker it’ll give me a big warning message about how the adblocker needs access to my browsing data and what have you. At first glance it sounds horrible but if you think about it the adblocker needs to have access to the websites your visiting and the html content the website is showing you in order to do its job.

I knew a guy who wrote a big gotcha rant on Facebook about pokemon go spying on people because he "dug deep into its permissions" (aka checked the install pop up) and saw it requested location data.

You know, that app whose entire gimmick was controlling landmarks in your city using pokemon you caught walking around? Apparantly it was a surprise that it'd use your location to do any of that.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I'll admit, I never understood the character limit on Twitter,

History lesson time! Twitters initial idea was texting but on the Internet. The initial character limit was how long a SMS text message could be and at the time it was a constraint non-Internet people were used to so it was an easy adjustment. In some countries you could tweet by texting a phone number and I think you might have been able to get tweets as texts too maybe? I believe that's part of how twitter was used during Arab spring to organise resistance movements following Internet censorship.

People don't really use SMS to talk to each other anymore and they upped the limit once already, so that history is no longer relevant. I feel like nowadays it was meant as a "constraints breed creativity" thing to force people to be succinct, but then it ruined everything by making it so anything nuanced enough to need more than 200-something characters to explain was impossible to convey.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Federation also has some serious reliability risk that is 100% going to bite it in the rear end if it starts to scale, which is really the biggest problem with Mastodon. It has no central account infrastructure, you can only transfer your account if the instance you're signed up on is still operating, so an instance abruptly shutting down means all of the accounts on it go poof, and if there's one thing you don't want to live by on the Internet, it's the motivation of unpaid server admins.

They really need to get public-key-based account identification and recovery or something, it's a solvable technical problem, but right now it's just a ticking bomb.

Ths more I hear about how mastadon and other fediverse projects work the more it sounds like someone went "hey you know how reddit is built on volunteer mods creating spaces and then ruling them with an iron fist? What if we gave those people no oversight, genuine responsibilities and the power to decide what you can see outside of the their space?" and no one saw how that could become a problem.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I wonder how on track threads was before Elon poo poo the bed over the weekend versus how much devs had to throw together for an MVP because they wanted to capitalise on the opportunity.

Like I can totally imagine a project manager going "it'll take how long for GDPR compliance?! gently caress it just delay launch in Europe."

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Geez how they heck did Meta manage to hire dozens of former Twitter employees???

Later in the article it says that the threads team has no former twitter employees on it.

Twitter has fired so many people that their lawyer felt that simply assuming that some are on the team wasn't that much of a gamble.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

What show had a character who blocked his wife getting a divorce attorney by seeing every divorce attorney in town in order to create conflicts of interest?

It seems like twitter's plan is basically that. Fire so many people that they have a basis to blindly accuse ex-employees of leaking secrets to their new employers.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

Bluesky has about 200k people to Instagram's 30 million.

We're talking about employees.

Iirc threads team is like 30 people apparantly.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Profanity posted:

That was Succession. Wouldn't surprise me if Elmo watched that show and furiously took notes, thinking everyone depicted were meant to be genius titans of the industry.

So what's the over/under on him mailing frozen bricks of his blood to grimes?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Fobby posted:

I think we're all assuming he's just being anticompetitive but maybe his legal department (if he didn't fire all of them) dug up some ex-employees' LinkedIn accounts and saw specifically that they went to Meta.

It was alleged in an earlier article linked here that no ex-twitter employees worked on the threads team. There is likely ex-twitter employees at meta in other projects but at this point every tech company probably has ex-twitter employees. I think the lawyer is bluffing and thinks showing some of the many, many people they fired is employed by meta is enough to build a case around.

It's a very desperate play that is unlikely to go anywhere. I feel that even if the entire threads team was ex-twitter that they'd still have a hard time getting traction.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was going to call bullshit on tech eavesdropping on general conversations, but that makes a certain amount of sense. I've never allowed Facebook on my phones, nor any other Meta products, so perhaps that's a protective factor.

Alternatively location tracking knows he's in a location where people speak a certain language.

The scary thing about location tracking is it doesn't even matter if you turn it off personally. The phones around you give a list of MAC Addresses and Bluetooth device IDs they see to the lovely data harvesting apps they've installed. Unless you leave your phone in aeroplane mode or deactivated all the time chances are your location is known.

Edit:

Sentient Data posted:

You're legit thinking too small. They don't only know about you, they also know almost everyone you've been in contact with. Ads can literally spread through the same paths as covid

What's really creepy is when you realise that you aren't being listened to but the data they have is enough that they can successfully guess what you're talking about.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 7, 2023

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

To go repeat to what I said earlier - we live in the even creepier reality where the advertisers don't have to bother listening to us to know what we're talking about.

Outside of clear malware I'm not aware of any security researcher that detected potential audio data being collected, processed or sent from mobile devices prior to voice assistants. I specify the voice assistants because they almost immediately discovered those QA clips getting sent by those apps, which goes to show how hard it is to hide this kind of monitoring.

Meta using text from Facebook and Instagram DMs to profile ads, yeah I can buy that. Using your Facebook app to monitor your microphone to listen silently in a way that no security researcher is yet to detect over the past decade+? Doubtful.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Sounds like you followed bigots, or at least people that engage with bigots, over from Twitter lmao

I guess people whose only data is they click on a lot of links to transphobe tweets from threads like this are giving a bunch of algorithms the wrong impression.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

"Due to the unwillingness of the legal profession to defend the First Amendment right to post its own work product—legal documents—PlainSite is no longer available to the general public as of July 7, 2023 pending further notice. We sincerely apologize."

:argh:

Wait what happened, that was up this morning? Did Elon threaten to sue them for sharing the docket?

Edit: Oh this is Aaron Greenspan's website, who was banned from twitter last month for criticising Elon too much. So yeah that must be exactly what happened lol. I guess this is Elon's frivolous lawsuit arc.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 8, 2023

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

emSparkly posted:

Oh yeah I tried making an instagram account so I could use threads in the first place and I got autobanned upon login for signing up with a pseudonym. I am not letting my real name out on the internet outside of like, linkedin or something where my loving idiot takes won't be tied to my real identity.

Insta isn't like checking IDs or whatever, I know plenty people using pseudonyms there.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

emSparkly posted:

I guess it was too stupid of a name then?

I found like 100+ accounts displaying "Master Chief" as their real name. The bar is pretty low.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Pontificating rear end posted:

TO ACCESS A WEBSITE?

No to access an app that was launched a month earlier than originally planned. I think it's pretty obvious that there's gonna be a website closer to the intended launch.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

What about the fact that Threads is not launching at all in the EU, due to their management of private data? Isn't this a major issue for adoption of Threads? Or nobody cares about the European market?

I would expect the only obstacle is they don't have the "request my data" and "delete my data" automated pipelines built for GDPR compliance.

Remember threads launched like a month earlier than planned because Elon breaking twitter last weekend presented a golden opportunity. What we have right now is the MVP they could cobble together in like 3 days. GDPR is an area you don't want to rush at the last minute.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Withnail posted:

How is there no web site for threads? Do people not use computers anymore?

It was launched a month earlier than planned.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Imagine if Elon's Dad declares that he's going through a mental health crisis and forces him into a Britney Spears-style conservatorship to take control of his assets.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

That is also all over Twitch, used by people who would not associate it with 4chan at all. I've given up on seeing that one as indicative of anything.

I feel that frog could be considered as reclaimed from the chuds at this point, yeah.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Or in Jack Dorsey's case, you make bank selling your Nazi bar, then open a new place which people say is great because it has no Nazis (yet) and your old bar got even worse in the meantime. I have zero confidence that Jack won't turn bluesky into chud central if he thinks it'll turn a buck.

From what I understand Jack owns very little of bluesky and likely has no real decision making power.

However, the point of bluesky the company isn't to be the next twitter but to built the framework that people can use to make a bunch of twitters. I would expect a bunch of innocuous instances get spooled up by Nazis playing the long game, kind of like how nazi early adopters on reddit snagged the xkcd subreddit and used it to promote holocaust denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Musk thinks we live in a simulation, he concludes that this means he can hack it and become neo. That's what xAI's goal is.

However he doesn't understand that if this is a simulation then we're literally just NPCs in a really lovely video game. We probably don't even have free will and if we did we're not going to be able to like run cheat codes or whatever since an interface for NPCs to interact like that isn't part of the codebase. Worst case the Sci-Fi nerd running the simulation goes "ah gently caress it's bugged I guess" and turns off our universe.