Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Wow, he's a climatologiat too??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

E the Shaggy posted:

"Don't be trans, otherwise bigots like me won't hire you. INTERESTING!"

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1676636069083709455?s=20

Guy is just such a loser. Just come out and say exactly what you mean you fuckin pussy.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
The sheer volume of mentally ill people on the internet never ceases to amaze me

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

This is barely even English, does he not even vet his botnets anymore?

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
This guy is such a fuckin loser. Free speech etc!

Last night when the clock struck midnight, nearly 13,000 workers at Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis went on strike after the so-called "Big Three" car companies failed to reach an agreement with United Auto Workers (UAW). By Friday morning, UAW discovered that X, the platform formerly known as Twitter—in what appeared to be a petty move by platform owner and Tesla CEO Elon Musk—had stripped their account's verified status, The Intercept reported.

The move seemingly makes it harder for UAW to maximize reach for its posts on X, just as workers have begun striking, demanding better wages and other benefits.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/09/musks-x-revokes-paid-blue-check-from-united-auto-workers-after-strike-called/

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

holtemon posted:

Just found out that my 79 year old neighbor is very anti-Elon and that made me chuckle today lol

I have an 80 year old South African neighbour who loves electric cars and he loving hates Elon too.

A few years ago when I moved in I cracked a joke about his "countryman" he scowled and said, "do you know anything about the area Elon is from? It is full of incredible racists and I will bet money that if he hasn't shown it yet, it will come out soon enough."

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 19, 2023

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Yeah, Vercingetorix yoinked J. Caesar around for a while, but then was paraded in the Forum in shackles and choked to death. What's the zinger here?

Also confused on this

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
I dunno why you guys are mad he's going to a payment scheme, it fixes twitters two biggest problems all at once. Now there will be no more bots, and the general public will stop using it entirely.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Someone do a misleading post about a massive telsa fire hazard recall and he'll fix poo poo right away

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Kingo Ligma posted:

They were just normal memes, Elon. Just innocent memes

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

pre-elon, twitter was reasonably open about a lot of its internal workings. here's an article saying there's about a million lines of code involved, trending down
https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/topics/infrastructure/2017/the-infrastructure-behind-twitter-scale

it's not small, but also not obscene for an app of this size. it wouldn't take a huge team to trace through most "shadowblocking" scenarios.

musk is implying there's a bunch of hidden code somewhere that they don't have access to ... which is just not how it works. once he bought the company he has the keys to the kingdom and could get into everything that's possibly in scope sort of some secret squirrel backdoors put in by malicious woke developers.

"secret code doing bad stuff " was a very effective way to pass blame when he first bought it and was playing the white knight here to save free speech.

Now that he's had it for a year, pretending there's mountains of rogue code just makes his team look incompetent.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Waffle House posted:

...not even diagonally? What the gently caress lol

I like to poo poo on the cyber truck as much as anyone, but you guys do know that how mountain bikes are transported, right?

Usually there's a bib over the tailgate to prevent scratching, but that's a pretty normal setup.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Slo-Tek posted:

Yes, but you can do the exact same thing with more bikes in a Ridgeline, which was the previous low bar for "lovely truck why bother". So, being worse than a ridgeline at a thing a ridgeline is demonstrably bad at, while also weighing 5000lbs, costing 100k, and not existing, seems like a relevant thing to point out.

Dunno, I saw it, and I thought it looked lame as gently caress, and also scuffing the bottom tube against the back gate is a combination of stupid and "this truck and this mountain bike are both props for somebody who will never ever do anything cool or even appropriate with either of them"

That's fine, I was responding to the goon suggesting the bike should be diagonal in the bed, as though the wheel was hanging over just because it didn't fit.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Nm. Covered on previous pg

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 17, 2023

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Price difference aside, I can't help but think ICE vehicles seem very primitive now that I've seen what a high end EV can do.

In 100 years, the kids will look back in disbelief that our primary mode of transport was powered by tiny, well-timed explosions driven by refined fossil fuels that put out little puffs of toxic smoke as we puttered around the city.

It's just such a brute force way to get from A to B in my head, and I own two ICE vehicles. Meanwhile we have EVs coming in the scene that required substantially less upkeep, they're smoother, better torque, quieter and clean. They're demonstrably better in every way except the battery tech, and our infrastructure is build for ICE, rather than EV.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

TotalLossBrain posted:

So how long until everyone loses interest and all those big companies quietly resume advertising on that hell site.

Because IMHO this is what will happen, like several times previously

Probably not too long. This whole forum spends half their time talking about how abhorrent an individual Elon is and screaming about companies advertising, yet it's clear they're still on Twitter for 2 hours a day scrolling through all the bullshit.

If Elons biggest haters can't even bring themselves to cut their addiction I doubt average Joe will.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Scratch Monkey posted:

Iterating on designs after rockets blew up is how Falcon 9 became the most successful and cost effective rocket ever made. Elon is a huge racist piece of poo poo, but SpaceX knows how to design good rockets even when he’s getting in the way.

It is kind of funny reading goons frothing at the mouth over SpaceX being nothing more than a route to Elysium.

Reliable, cost effective access to space is objectively a huge boon for humanity as a whole, suggesting humanity needs to "fix things at home first" before stepping off-world is the biggest cope I've ever read.

Where do you think most of our climate model data comes from? Satellites. How do you think we track methane emitters? Satellites. How do we further our fundamental understanding of physics? Telescopes on satellites. How do we monitor illegal fishing? Satellites. There are endless tangible benefits to becoming a competent space fairing civilization.

There is such thing as nuance in this world guys. Two things can be true, Elon is a huge racist twat that deserves to be launched into the sun, and SpaceX has significantly furthered humanity's technological potential. There's a reason every other superpower is trying to build reusable rockets right now, it's a huge game-changer.

Best case scenario is Elon is booted and SpaceX continues doing cool poo poo. Without them we'd still be paying the loving Russians for rides to the spacestation on Soyuz rockets built in the 60s.

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 18, 2023

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

PostNouveau posted:

Thank god Elon Musk invented the satellite. Truly we'd be lost without his guiding light.

The entire premise of the post is discussing the value of reliable, cost effective access to low-earth orbit ya dweeb

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 19, 2023

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Three Olives posted:

uBlock Origin blocked ads on Twitter perfectly for me up until about 30 minutes ago. Did something break on my end or did Elon figure out away around it?

baha this guy is still on Twitter

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
This is almost as funny as that time Elon made blue checks available to anyone for $8 so everyone made fake billion dollar corporations say poo poo like I Love Mommy Milkers.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Media Matters is a non-profit and therefore cannot be trusted because they take money from Soros.

NewsGuard is for profit and therefore cannot be trusted because they take money from corporations.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
And it has the biggest, dumbest windshield wiper you've ever seen

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

happyhippy posted:

You've never seen Elon in a Tesla.

He drives around in them all the time, but as a car service with a professional driver at the helm.

I would love nothing more than for Elon to prove his self driving car works than by livestreaming a trip of him letting it take him across the city.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

mobby_6kl posted:

Starship is to SpaceX what the Cybertruck is to Tesla. Clearly Elon's idiotic idea. The stupid launch pad was also his decision.

I'm not so sure about that. They had a pretty successful first launch/land of the starship w/out the booster, then a low altitude explosions and a high altitude explosion with the booster attached. People poo poo all over SpaceX when they were blowing up Falcons too and those have turned into extremely reliable and safe vehicles.

Again, lots of things to poo poo on Musk for but going after SpaceX for blowing up things up has made a lot of people look dumb in the past. I think they can make it work, but whether it turns out to be the financial boon they're hoping for is another matter.

I'm sure they're not immune to his influence, Glynn Shotwell has proved the best at "working around" Elon by a huge margin. There's a ton of stories about how he's kept busy whenever in site in order to keep his fingers out of the important things.

All that being said, gently caress Elon, I hope the US govt forces him out.

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 27, 2023

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Guy is so deep in his echo chamber that all the chuds have him convinced Disney is being boycotted and "earth" thinks he taking the righteous path.

Disney is eternal my man, bend over for the mouse.

He's gonna walk off stage and immediately check Twitter, where he'll be inundated by the Charlie Kirks of the world gassing him up for being red-pilled. No chance he can put the breaks on now, he's too deep.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Absolutely zero chance of those production targets.

I'll be shocked if they make 10k cybertrucks by 2025

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
There is a 100% chance that a couple of those Doge/Tesla accounts the Elon responds to is a state actor. Can you imagine being the guy running some foreign propaganda Op shop, and seeing how easy it is to not only get in the good graces of the richest man in the world, but actively influence his worldview through personalized memes about him?

The guy is the biggest mark out there. Looking forward to reading the book on all this one day.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Sir Tonk posted:

A generic democrat jumping right into the tech won't save us series is going to break their brain, Oliver should be a much better way to hold their attention and then allow them to listen to Marx without instinctively blocking all criticism of the meritocracy.

I would say I am not a "generic democrat," but to me the Marx pod was a bit too personal vendetta-y to be taken without a grain of salt. Opening every podcast with "I'm Paris Marx, some have called me the Left's Leading Muskologist" is super cringy and does not give me the sense I'm about to listen to rigorous journalism.

He clearly hates the dude, which is understandable, but also does not give the impression that it's an unbiased look at Elon.

All that to say, it was an interesting series and Elon is a douche, but I think I prefer sources that are a bit less "mad" about their topic.

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 18, 2023

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

shyduck posted:

There's a 38 item FAQ and it's great

"Our previous experience bringing a complex electromechanical..."

"We failed miserably and blew a bunch of cash on something almost as dumb a few years ago and will now only move forward with an angel investor dumb enough to finance us."

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Why would anyone care about fauci or covid when new cases will be approaching 0 by April

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
:five:, because my brain forced me to read that in a screeching bird voice

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

A revenue-neutral carbon tax is exactly what the Trudeau govt brought in, and our America owned media companies (and conservatives) are still throwing a shitfit to this day about it.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

This guy has the weirdest uncanny valley vibes in his videos.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
BRB, going to change my massively popular burger franchise to be more like the famously profitable tech company uber

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Tangentially related to Elon, CBC's Frontburner just did a podcast on the Saudi's use of Twitter botnets to steer the conversation during the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard shenanigans a couple years ago.

Turns out at least 50% of the tweets on the subject were Saudi bots, all because Depp's recent movies were financed by SA and he is personal friends with MBS.

Just in case you had any remaining doubt why the Saudis were so excited to buy into Elon's misadventure.

Great podcast, highly recommend.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcasts/209-front-burner/episode/16047180-johnny-depp-amber-heard-and-a-legion-of-saudi-backed-bots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
That reads as satire to me.