Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
poo poo, I didn’t know Xenoblade was so close, although I’m pretty ambivalent since XB2 didn’t grab me:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

wuggles posted:

It's pretty cool how this happened. Splatoon was originally slated for July and Xenoblade for September. Splatoon wasn't ready, but Xenoblade was, so they swapped the dates. Pretty cool when you announce games close to when they're done and don't hype people up for three years for nothing!

It feels like the same thing happened with Mario Odyssey, and yeah, I’m pretty cool with just popping in and announcing you have a new game to release in less than half a year, but idk if anyone but Nintendo has enough loyalty/ubiquitousness to do that and not worry about needing advertising time.

…really wish the BOTW team just said they were working on “stuff” until they were done.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The next batch of jobs should help a lot with your problem, you get Not-Bard/Not-Viking/Chemist and a counterattack-centric job, but Valkyrie is so good for physical setups that it’s kinda hard to ignore it. Also not-Viking helps with other jobs’ fragility iirc since they get to draw aggro, unless I’m remembering wrong.

Also just turn off random encounters, or at least scale them to 50%.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Bravely Default is probably worth experiencing but I’m gonna be like 100% real and admit I cashed out at the “bad” ending that seemed better than the true ending on top of being not a slog. BS did a much better job of holding my interest partly because it just knows what it’s about and embraces it 100% wrt writing and also because the main story is like half weird new jobs.

Also Catmancer. It’s just a blue mage that punches but it’s called Catmancer and summons cats to do blue magic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

You missed out on the best boss fights of any jrpg

Bloodborne is a JRPG.

Also yeah I’m aware, but slogging through the four elemental bosses again and again wasn’t worth it, but maybe I’ll try again eventually.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ema is pretty cool in AA6 but iirc she’s just constantly surly and bitchy in AJ which makes sense in context but I’m glad they made her more like her kid self in Spirit of Justice.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walla posted:

Also I'm playing Conquest with the Hoshido Recruitment Mod and drat is this kind of weird. A lot of the meta completely gets rewritten and it's very much uncharted territory here.

How’s that play? Hoshido has so many weird/mediocre units compared to Conquest, it feels real easy to end up with a bunch of losers at endgame.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I just made Kiryu rub his face on panties and I gasped because I didn't think he'd actually do it and I'm legit embarrassed to talk to Koyuki ever again lol

This is what reloads are for.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Goddamn Sekiro is good. I’m kinda bummed that it’s (seemingly) so short (just reached Real Corrupted Monk) but I really wanna do a NG+ run which is weird because the game is just Weeb Punch-Out compared to Soulsborne games where you have all these different build options. But with the prosthetic upgrades being so janky and having to hardcore grind to get all the skills on a first play through I guess things’ll be a little different anyway!

Glad I dumped all my money into spirit charms early though, because yikes at that inflation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I sure am loving how in AI: Somnium they have TIMIES but won’t let you use them on the 45+ second stuff. Yep. So fun. So cool.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

I'm... pretty sure you can? In fact I'm pretty sure at least one psync has a 999 interact that actually requires it.

DemoneeHo posted:

Are... are your buttons properly working? You should be able use them as long as you don't have negative TIMIEs, and if you have those, use the negative TIMIEs on an action with a short time duration.

Idk guys, all I know is that if I do something that takes a significant chunk of time like 60 seconds and select one the game tells me “TIMIE will not be used? Proceed anyway?”

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

If you're playing the first game you need to select the timie you want to use and then press a button to activate it.

Yeah I’ve been doing that, I use them for smaller stuff just fine but that message comes up specifically if I select a TIMIE for big stuff but not if I don’t select one at all for the same section.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Will there be a crash 5 or are the devs making CoD weapon skins now

Probably the latter, same with Spyro 4 :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s pretty cool that Sekiro has pocket sand as an attack that’s hideously overpowered on the vulnerable targets. I just realized I had that as an option and just started throwing clumps of it along with fireworks to ignore the third phase of a lategame boss.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there's a boss whose speedrun strat is just a pattern of like, cut, cut, pocket sand, cut, cut, pocketsand

I’m morbidly curious what a Sekiro speed run even looks like, I assume it’s lots of glitch exploits but the actual fights that can’t be cheesed must be beautiful.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Someone did a blindfolded run at the last AGDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQeeRBtQgzE

Holy loving hell.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t played Doom Eternal but those new momentum killing enemies are pretty infamous, god drat they must suck.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can’t tell if y’all are making an unused stand name joke or if that really happens

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I found a glitch in Sekiro, there’s a boss from Dark Souls that found its way into Sekiro even though it’s a really bad fit for the gameplay and you have to kinda just sprint around it until it does one of the moves you can punish? It’s named Demon of Hatred and I’m really sure it was supposed to be a Dark Souls III boss but the game just poo poo itself?

demon of hatred is the worst kind of bad fight, a boring one, is what I’m getting at

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Slightly disappointed it’s not a fighting game with the Forgotten Land engine but that looks cute/fun enough for a budget game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Also between Kirby Dream Buffet and this I wonder if there might be a couple more trailers in the pipeline, since those two seem like things that would be in a Direct.

Someone mentioned that SaGa Frontier 2 Remastered leaked early on PlayAsia, so maybe they’re gonna announce that too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tunic looks pretty cool, hope it gets a Switch port at some point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wish I could nominate Sekiro for a GOTY contender because it’s real good for sure but it has some badly done parts that drag it down like how burn/terror inducing enemies work. Would be my all time favorite From game without that stuff. :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Happy birthday!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Puzzle Leauge/Panel de Pon is a super good puzzle game, it’s genuinely perplexing you don’t see more ports of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m just about finished with my first playthrough of Sekiro, and it’s a heavily flawed masterpiece. Still an 8.5/10, don’t get me wrong, but the entire campaign is intermittently littered with janky choices that make the game less fun for like no reason like Burn attacks, apparition enemies, and prosthetic upgrades, culminating in a fantastic final boss that feels like it’s testing everything you learned…but also the arena impedes your ability to read enemy attacks for half the fight.

It kinda sucks that I chose this to play after Elden Ring so I could get used to the “standard” souls control layout because this is just Elden Ring but with a grappling hook instead of weapon sets. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Infinitum posted:

1 month till Saints Row

poo poo, for real? Tentatively excited for that one

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walla posted:

My son is all in on the Ace Attorney lore and apparently the original trilogy was supposed to be the end of Phoenix's story but Capcom insisted on shoehorning him into Apollo Justice and then gave the series to a different director afterwards.

Honestly I like how they handled Phoenix in the 3DS games, which I was surprised by. Without going into spoilers he basically serves as an NPC mentor figure in Dual Destinies until the very end and the main narrative conceit of Spirit of Justice means it doesn’t feel forced that he has to deal with adversity in his trials because the system is so hedged against him.

Heck, I think 6-1 might be my favorite first trial in the series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

i have never noticed the difference between 30 and 60. considering how much people complain about 30, i consider this a superpower

It’s easy to notice when there’s a comparison, like if Hades ran at 30 FPS at launch I doubt I’d notice but playing the DS2 remaster right after Sekiro for a few minutes was pretty jarring wrt how “smooth” the latter felt. Same with the Ratchet and Clank 1 PS4 remake when you play most of the other games.

That’s just me though, also it probably affects PC gamers more since you can choose to play every From game at 60 FPS besides Bloodborne.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Metis of the Hallways posted:

important announcement everyone: my dog is pregnant

Congratulations on being a grandma! I think that’s how it works with pets at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m playing that Live A Live game, it’s a cool old school JRPG. I was a caveman kid who saved his girlfriend from a giant dinosaur and then a cowboy who saved a small town from a horse. Now I’m gonna be a martial arts grandmaster looking for disciples. More JRPGs should really just be weirdass vignettes like this (and do it well, unlike Octopath Traveler).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh if it’s in the context of emulation the 3DS version seems definite insofar as the bad parts of the remaster were fixed by fans already. Man, now that I went through the trouble of home brewing my 3DS i need to replay MM…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

One thing I don't miss from the PS1/PS2 era: mandatory side activities that are nothing like the main game and often hard as balls

It’s funny you use that specific screenshot because Insomniac actually made a rule after Going Commando saying “if it’s not what the player signed up for don’t make it that hard” so I guess they learned their lesson at least. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walla posted:

That's awesome, I love it. I can't afford a print right now, but it's my background on my phone now.

When my son first started Somnium Files I told him Mizuki was the best character in the game. He eventually agreed.

I bitterly regret getting the “don’t fix Mizuki’s repressed trauma” route first because the scene where she just goes to loving town on a bunch of goons with a pipe was so sick, and now I’m busy with Live A Live so I have to wait a while to do the other route.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

AI 2 Devs: "We gotta have a guy stalking an 18 year old girl in this game too, for some reason"

Still haven’t finished AI1 but there was not only Ota being just a weird lame otaku boy (I guess man since he’s like 22 iirc) harassing a mentally unwell girl on the internet to gain clout with her when he used his alt twitter account to white knight her but also the kinda lame yakuza guy, so I guess they just think it works.

Man, typing that out I should really just kinda hate Ota instead of being ambivalent/mildly amused by himZ

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

That's the magic of ushikoshi. Everybody is an unlovable lover but you love them anyway

hosed up opinion imho, I liked like everyone in VLR besides Dio Brando (and Sigma was kind of a dick).

Speaking of VLR, I found out Zero III was the same actor as Lady Butterfly in Sekiro, which was really weird/neat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Looper posted:

i just finished the live a live remake and i'm pogging out here, it's such a fantastic touch up for this old gem

I’m still working through it but it’s so cool, I wish Octopath Traveler had just gone all in on its premise and just been this

Edit: hades was real real loving good, that’s my hot Hades take

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 29, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, realistically, nothing else this year really has the singular heat to touch Elden Ring.

Eeeh, I loved a lot of my time with Elden Ring but it really was too freaking big, and it’s not like you can just cherry-pick not-chalice dungeons relevant to your build without being glued to a guide. Definitely a strong GOTY contender but I probably enjoyed Kirby about as much because it was just maybe 20 hours long to 100%

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sekiro is not as good as some of the thread thinks but it is amazing when it is on point like 80% of the time and a relatively short journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I also started stranger of paradise today and after playing through the first level... I'm not entirely convinced

The demo is a pretty decent chunk of game, imo it’s worth trying more since you’ll eventually unlock more weapon types/job options pretty quickly.