Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Close dnd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:cheers:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

speng31b posted:

while hand curated SYQs have been rich cultural tradition within cspam going as far back in time as anyone can remember, we are now moving into an age of automation and can't be stuck in the past.

As such, I'd like to propose a system of auto-SYQ that chooses posts to SYQ at random from other subs and brings them into CSPAM threads at random as well. I think this would bring a number of benefits.

For one, many of our posting brethren feel unfairly targeted for their takes. This would create a fair system that eliminates bias, and helps to restore the dignity and honor of cspam as a result.

For another, SYQs are often focused on d&d and GBS, which both creates animosity and also misses out on a huge opportunity to mine hilarious SYQs from largely untapped sources, such as the pet subforum or crafts subforum, etc.

now i recognize that the effort to automate this process will be time consuming and not a high priority at first, so here's the last part of my proposal and really the key part. Let's prototype the concept using a low fidelity substitute for complete randomized automation. We'll need a forums poster who is utterly committed to the syq as a tradition and art form, and also a poster who has the ability to become indistinguishable from the content of a bot. in other words, catpetter, let's usher in the future together.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mods my feedback is less posts like that one.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

CoolCab posted:

i legit would rather drink paint than go through another round of this particular discourse, frankly. it's dingable, it gets dinged. like a couple of other places on this website there are subsections where this is policed harder or softer. we tried harder policing and it didn't make it better, and this is the compromise.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

speng31b posted:

what kind of contest

Fyad has random numbers and it's worked for them for decades

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The mods should come up with a misspelling of trump and whoever guesses it first gets to ik the trump thread that week

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Azathoth posted:

Not getting Alec off the forums faster is one of my greatest regrets as a mod. Let me give some background from someone who was as neutral between the two of them as possible.

Didn't read

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

NeatHeteroDude posted:

but it sounds like you'd get more interesting and thoughtful engagement with this post in D&D.

NHD murdering dudes, drat didn't know he had it in him.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Then get someone else to be an ik? Make Paul an ik or something.

VideoKid posted:

or just tell people to grow up and get a hobby instead of melting down over a sixer

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

demod and ban NHD, for being cringe

This, but all mods and admins

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

These are too many words. Though I was not a fan of him, if cumshitter did not doxx then he should be made to pay a $10 tax for threatening it and be allowed back. Now we should move on to making Paul_soccer12 an IK.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Do the opposite of whatever this whiner says

You have a good signature, but unfortunately you need to put words in your post as well.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

vyelkin posted:

imo there's more to it than that. Alec should have been permabanned before cumshitter melted down about it, there's no doubt about that in my mind. To put some flesh on the bones Az mentioned, we had been talking about what to do with Alec for about a month at that point, including giving him bans and increasingly lengthy probations for his unhinged posting. From October 25th 2021 to his eventual permaban on January 9th 2022, Alec was banned twice and spent a month and 21 days on probation. Az was also going back and forth with cumshitter in private and with Alec in private and in public to try and get them to stop feuding. We were talking about Alec being on a short road that ended in a permaban, but at the time the guidance we were getting from the admins was that since he was just being persistently annoying rather than actively harmful, we should just start banning him every time he was particularly annoying.

Cumshitter didn't like that state of affairs and had a meltdown where he threatened to doxx Alec. These were the posts in question, so that we can all be on the same page for this discussion rather than playing telephone about what was actually said and done:

cumshitter claims that they never actually sent anything to the school board, but they very clearly and repeatedly threatened to do so, essentially blackmailing Alec via the repeated and insistent threat of doxxing him if he didn't do what cumshitter wanted.

This is a difficult situation, because what cumshitter wanted was correct: for Alec to leave him alone, stop being the main character of the Trump thread, and ultimately be permabanned, which we finally accomplished like a week later. But the way he went about it is absolutely unacceptable. You cannot threaten other posters with doxxing to get your way on this website, and that has to be non-negotiable from a mod or admin standpoint no matter how much the target sucks. If you do, it's a permaban even if you PM a mod afterwards and say "pssst hey my very public repeated threats of doxxing my posting enemy is just an empty threat, don't worry about it". That is a kind of posting that absolutely can't be tolerated for reasons that I hope are very obvious, even though in this case the target of that posting was someone that the would-be-doxxer was right to want gone. Historically, on SA, that kind of behaviour is a permaban offence because we have a zero tolerance attitude to anything close to doxxing, and this was well over that line. And honestly I think this would be a much worse forum if we didn't have that kind of zero tolerance attitude towards both doxxing and doxxing threats.

While these were a lot of words, I read them and have now sided against freeing this poster. However, Paul must still be made IK

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I agree that goons post too much PII, I think it rocks that we have a thread full of people that think it's okay to doxx someone using that information.

Yeah... its pretty hosed up that people are like well what did he expect? No poo poo you shouldn't do that, but it's not an excuse to then take the information and threaten them with it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Red Baron posted:

aww honey being the word we cannot say and being smooth of brain are so obviously different that if you can’t make out the difference you must the word we don’t say

moron

:gas:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think this thread is setting a pretty good example for why the Trump thread should be moved/gassed.

Willing to meet the trump thread halfway and gas the glenn thread as well in a show of solidarity.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

gas the glenn thread
gas the trump thread
ik paul_soccer12

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Please chain probe them until they stop posting on this forum.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Dreylad posted:

CSPAM is going to abandon marxism and adopt anarchism as our official ideology.

No need, CSPAM is already filled with liberals

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mod feedback, I should be allowed to call French people frogs, Italian people meatballs, and British people garbage.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

as i understand it, and as the guys in fyad call him, koos is ‘le epic’

Le epic fail more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014