Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Nyoro posted:

collei is very cute but that is not the kind of voice I expected from her at all

Yeah, her English VA definitely got a "...huh" reaction out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

In that scene where Ayaka offers to have some clothes made for you, there was a fraction of a second where I thought they might actually give me an alternate outfit for the Traveller. FF14 has set my expectations too high.

Yeah, same. I was like, "Ooh, are they finally going to do- oh there it is, of course not."

There being no customization options for Traveler makes the least sense even over the super popular 5 stars; not everyone has a Kazuha, but everyone has a Traveler, and they're probably tired of seeing the same outfit all the time. You could sell even a basic color swap option that would easy to make (Lumine in black/Aether in white) and that would probably do well

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kale posted:

The Zhongli we know apparently wasn't always even this way and just used to be a brute before the goddess of dust Guizhong apparently evened him out and civilized him.

Yeah, and I like how you hear that side of him when you're using him in combat; I'm basing this on the English VA, but he sounds almost like a different person when he's fighting compared to when you're just chatting with him, which I think is a really nice touch.

I've been avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers, but I'm trying to make one more run at snagging Nahida before she disappears and I should be caught up soon (I had guaranteed pity when she first dropped, so of course I pull Jean instead of her). I feel cursed when it comes to pulling Archons; Raiden's still the only one I've pulled at this point :sigh:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Excelzior posted:

beautiful animations and design work on Layla

shame I'll have to go without

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I have Yae and don't really care for Childe, so this is a good time for me to save up some primo

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Nyaawn posted:

do you think they'll ever raise the adventurer cap above 60 or the level cap above 90?

I figure now that we have Dendro, we'll either get new level caps or new weapon types next

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Eimi posted:

Also just the entirety of Liyue's subtext was about how a singular "divine" perspective was actually something to be left behind for a more human hand in rule, which is interesting in the lens of how the CCP would view themselves there. Zhongli is one of the more interesting archons entirely because he willingly surrenders his authority.

I can see that, and I feel like there was some slight criticism of the CCP in Sumeru's arc, in regards to the Akademiya suppressing the religious beliefs of Lesser Lord Kusanali's believers and heavily regulating public art performance. Nothing explicit you could point to and say that it's about the CCP if confronted, but it's what I thought of first during my playthrough

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
The only thing I feel like I can comment about on that list is how do you put Electro Traveler over Geo/Ameno Traveler. I think I tried Electro Traveler for like five minutes before I went "lol nope" and took her back to Liyue to correct that.

I do agree that Dendro Traveler is the best Traveler so far

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Aside from Cyno mentioning it a bunch you can actually see some of the Eremites playing it in Sumeru before you aggro them, that's good enough for me to say it's popular.

Yeah, like even during the slime event Cyno mentioned wanting to play Yae Miko in the letter you get from him towards the end, which makes me think that Cyno is the Kaiba of the Genius Invocation world.

Yae is Pegasus

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kale posted:

I can also picture something like:

Raiden: So this is that game of trading cards that Miko is also talking about....:is having my face on a card possibly a sign of eternity? :confused:

Raiden being the most clueless entity alive outside of things that involve fighting and honor and maybe building robots is just how I see the character at this point

lol I was picturing Raiden as the tutorial character you beat up on to learn the basics

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

give them all the awards, i want primos

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Nyaawn posted:

Uh Jean has pants

Now that I think about it, Jean might be the only woman in the game (including NPCs) who wears pants. I'm kinda surprised her new default outfit didn't change her pants into stockings and shorts to fix that.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I like this one

Okay, that's cute and I hope that artwork makes it into the card game proper

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I do appreciate that Diluc's first reaction to seeing himself on a character was to try and figure out where it came from, while Sucrose didn't even react to hers.

Also, Genshin, you don't have to make everyone say "Genius Invokation TCG" every time they mention it. It's near the top of the list of unnatural sounding dialogue in the game

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
They were saying "TCG" so much I started to assume that marketing had gotten involved because there's going to be either a print edition or a stand-alone app for it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
The streamer I was watching the Game Awards on is huge into FFXIV and was pumped that it won over Genshin. Meanwhile I'm just here going, "who gives a poo poo, I got free primo!"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Also Kaveh and Mika.

Sooner or later, they're going to introduce a new character with a Vision and unique model and kill them off in the story instead of making them playable, but I don't think that day has come just yet.

Would Signora count for that?

Eimi posted:

If Dehya dies I will riot. If anything bad happens to her I will kill everyone here and then myself.

:hmmyes:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

lol fits him perfectly

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

I would guess they pronounce it "ewe-lah"

Yeah, this is how I say it.

Eula's my favorite character in the game (first character I made an effort to get to lv. 90!) but my usage of her has fallen off a lot recently, due to my Ayaka working better with my Kazuha. I definitely need to reevaluate the artifact set I have on her, but man do I hate messing with those

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Endorph posted:

incidentalyl leaks are saying itll be alhaitham + xiao, not ayaka

which sounds bizarre but running the ayaka skin without an ayaka rerun is the exact kind of move id see from mihoyo

Yup, that sounds about right

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

No Wave posted:

C14 yanfei??? I see why you took a break.

Ngl, I hate rolling on any banner that has Yanfei on it because it feels like she ends up being the only 4 star I pull. I'm pretty sure that if I haven't entered double digits with her yet, I'm on the cusp of doing so

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yae loves to bully Gorou, the fox boy who doesn't cover up his ears.

At some point we need to have an all-out snark war between Yae and Tighnari.

A snark war between Yae and Tighnari with Gorou stuck in the middle, unable to tell if they're just teasing or actually flirting with him

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they need more horrible gremlins who are also adult women

right now the representation in that quarter is basically just Yae, and she's amazing, but there should be more

Alternatively, we can just have more Yae. She's free to leave Inazuma now, she can take over the rest of Teyvat!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I still think the Yelan/Itto part of the Chasm storyline is the best the story has ever been in Genshin.

It made me realize that Genshin would be a lot better if it was a true party of characters and not just the Traveler/Paimon going from location to location and constantly dumping their travel companions as they move on.

I dunno what it is on PC or mobile, but the load screen after you boot up Genshin on PS4 is still this image of Aether, Jean, Diluc, and Venti, and it took my getting through Mondstadt to realize that they weren't actually the main cast of characters going forward.

(Also hadn't seen the version of it with Lumine until I searched for it for this post, and now once again I'm annoyed that Hoyoverse doesn't customize the game art for the Traveler you choose.)

I don't think it would have been a bad idea to have a true party. You could still have the Traveler being largely uninterested in whatever plights are occurring in the nation they're in but getting involved because of their friends (since the Traveler cares about the people they know), so you wouldn't need to have someone gaslight them into acting.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Wasn't the Itto/Yelan chasm bit a one off event? Honestly they really should re release those old events because it seems wasteful...

I feel like any event that introduces a character probably should be permanent ones. Scaramouche appearing in Inazuma didn't mean anything to me because I missed the event he first appeared in

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Consider though that Collei is cool and my friend.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

It's super interesting seeing my wife start the game because the VA for Paimon was a lot softer with her voice early in the game and she's only become more goblinized over time.

I think it helps that Corina Boettger (the EN VA of Paimon) is a goblin themself. I've watched most of the Among US collabs a bunch of the EN Genshin VA do monthly, and they're some of the best parts of those

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kale posted:

Yeah it's fine honestly, it was just noticeably longer than any other story quest I can recall, though it's the first one I think I've done since Yae's back during 2.5 as well so it may just be recollection bias. As I sort of expected to the moment I finished it Liyue Harbour went into an automatic loading screen and just transformed into Lantern Rite mode around me. I was kind of figuring that was going to interfere a bit with the event that started on Thursday I believe, since Yelan is obviously in said event, but I didn't think it would keep the whole thing from even starting at all.

Yeah, I had the same problem and had to finish Yelan's quest, too (just finished it this morning lol). I also thought it was a bit longer than most character quests, but I did enjoy the dark turn it took, even if it was predictable. Between this and multiple Sumeru quests interfering with each other, I think I've finally learned not to unlock a quest until I'm actually going to sit down and play it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Sumeru; Only partially through but Nahida immediately moves into S-tier archon by “occasionally doing small things for people when she can summon the power”, the absolute pinnacle of positive divine intervention shown so far.

Nahida will probably remain the high point, too. We know the Cyro Archon sucks, and the Hydro Archon will probably be some sort of heavy-handed archon in the vein of the Raiden Shogun (but in a different way). The Pyro Archon has a shot at being cool, but who knows, a consistent theme of Genshin is that the gods are awful

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Tree Reformat posted:

If Inazuma is any indication, the devs have a strong anti-war bent (which is good). So given that the Pyro Archon's domain is War, and considering there's been literally no Natlan npcs in the game at all so far, Murata might actually end up being The Actual Worst of the Seven, even compared to the Tsaritsa.

Yeah, that's a good point. Like I said, I think Nahida will remain the high mark for Archons, and that's only because she's a child relative to the others.

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

my xiangling is level 40 and only c2

i feel like i've failed her since apparently she's still one of the best pyro units in the game

Don't feel bad, my Fischl is still sitting at Lv. 1, but I didn't get her until very recently

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Getting around to doing Lantern Rite stuff, and is this the first time we've seen Cloud Retainer's human form and Ping's adeptus form?

If it is and it's meant to be a tease for them becoming playable later down the road, I would definitely pull for Cloud Retainer. I love that bird

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Tree Reformat posted:

the traveler is just subjecting paimon to all their messed up schizophrenic hallucinated friendship delusions, and she's just desperately trying to play along with all of them

The real reason Paimon is taking the Traveler around to meet the Archons is in hopes that one of them will be the one to take the Traveler down

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

sushibandit posted:

She's gimmicky and not all that good to begin with, especially compared to the other Cryo archers, and having no cons means there is no way to improve her mediocre performance aside from infinitely grinding artifacts, which is effort far better spent on better characters (like the other Cryo archers). Her being a supposed 5* doesn't help, neither does her signature bow only being given out / functional on Playstation.

It was just a really half-assed crossover that sucks all around. If you're more a fan of HZD you're angry she's underwhelmingly lame in Genshin. If you're more a fan of Genshin you're angry she can't perform at a 5* level thus is a waste of resources.

Yeah, I came back to Genshin after falling off it during its launch because of Aloy; I had just finished HZD for the first time thanks to Sony giving it away earlier that year, and then they made the announcement that she was coming to Genshin. I got her and didn't really have the material at the time to level her up, and by the time I did I had already figured out that she wasn't a good character for me.

Plus, while I like her character art, I think Aloy's character model kinda sucks

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Just finished up the Lantern Rite epilogue. Really enjoyed the Venti/Zhongli interactions, and wow does Paimon get mad when you insult her sense of time. Lantern Rite is almost always the best event of the year.

Also found Beidou and Ningguang together and now I'm sure they're loving and Ningguang is fine with other people watching.

Kale posted:

Good thing I can always count on the internet having every bit of voiced dialogue in every language somewhere because I missed the first few days of the new event doing my own thing and didn't realize Lisa moves around based on server date and not player progress based on the day which they triggered the flag.

Oh, really? That's pretty annoying, I usually wait until the last few days of an event to do it so that all the time-locked events are unlocked. Is this a common thing in Genshin that I just haven't been aware of until now?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah but Oceanid sucks, all my homies hate Oceanid, always bring your big brother to beat up Oceanid.

I needed to grind Oceanid last week, and while Dendro makes the fight better (especially against those loving birds), it's still not good

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I didn't see this posted, but for anyone who is interested and might have missed it, there's been an update on the Elliot Gindi situation:

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1626046205280112640

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Meanwhile, I still don't have Diluc, Keqing, or Tighnari, but two of my last four pities have been Jean

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Radical posted:

It sounded like she wasn't very popular internationally but I'm just speculating. I find it very unlikely they would have added a second pyro claymore to standard as part of some longterm plan.

Maybe that's why they decided to put her banner after a Hu Tao/Yelan rerun, they were seeing numbers that made them think she'd be unpopular and put her in a spot where they expect low turnout

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Has there been any event that's completely changed the dialogue in other quests? Closest thing I can think of is erasing Greater Lord Rukkhadevata from history, but that seems to have affected mostly item descriptions and the Archons' character stories involving her, and not any quests

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Captain France posted:

Paimon should get angry more. At least in English, Normal Paimon's voice ranges from "annoying" to "meh," but angry Paimon is loving hilarious.

I feel like there's been a lot more events with Paimon just being tired of people's poo poo lately, and it's been pretty enjoyable

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I can't find much hard data on Dehya actually. There is a character popularity poll posted on reddit from just last month -- but this one only has playable characters so no Dehya. Beidou and Xinyan are two of the bottom three, which tracks with the CN playerbase disliking strong and/or darker-skinned women. (Dead last is Aloy)

There's also this popularity poll from Mihoyo's official forums in CN about 6 months ago where only about 4% of CN players voted for Dehya as their favorite among the Sumeru cast.

Nihou is way more popular than I would have expected

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

lol I just noticed Ei standing behind Yae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Endorph posted:

i like eula but her story quest is pretty dumb and over the top. she has an interesting conflict at her core but they basically play her as a joke character there. she was a lot better done in the event where she had albedo and amber to bounce off of.

Yeah, Eula's one of my favorite characters in the game, but she works better in an ensamble. Amber really is a good character to pair her with as a nice contrast, fan shipping aside