Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FishBulbia posted:

This is reminding me of when Abe was "alive" in the hospital with no vital signs for 7 hours.
Are you saying she was blasted in half too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of which....

(Guardian article on the plans for the Queen's death, if you're playing the home game.) https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge
I read that as 750g of morphine, which I feel they should have tried now they had the chance.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You grind that hair up and snort it and you will become immortal, king bits can do that I heard.
Actually, you use to create clones of Charles to replace him whenever he gets a bit too rowdy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Can we offer you a queen in these trying times?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu8rNMr9RTI

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Give it a couple of hours and you should be ready to go again.
I was just about to make a reflectory period joke!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

M_P_R posted:

The death of Diana in 1997 caused a similar level of hysteria but it seemed more of a ground swell of genuine public emotion (she was young, and died in an accident so more of a shock etc etc).
The death of Diana also affected people outside the UK/Commonwealth, which to me would indicate a much greater level of genuine public emotion, since it was hardly state sponsored like it is for the Queen. Based on my experience at the time, the level of reaction to her death was about the level of 9/11 here in Denmark. Obviously 9/11 hysteria was not allowed to die out, but the reaction people had in the immediate aftermath was quite similar.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah basically. AIUI the monarch has power to reject any of the actions of Parliament etc. and they have to appoint the new PM etc. but if they actually exercised that power to overrule anything there'd be massive outrage.

Though the Queen and Charles have privately lobbied for politicians to change laws/not to change laws to benefit themselves, e.g. around tax rules etc. and there hasn't been uproar about that because we are a supremely cucked nation.
I feel like this post isn't quite connecting the dots enough. The very fact that exercising that power would cause a ruckus means Parliament is also strongly encouraged to not do anything that would make the monarch exercise it, basically legislative self-censorship.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

Imagine having LITERALLY the most charmed life you could possibly have and LITERALLY having everything handed to you on a silver platter for your entire life, plus untold private millions and tax breaks, and still being a grumpy old oval office.
In fairness, I think it's hard not to be a little miserable with that family. Like, the whole thing is just institutionalized child abuse designed to make monsters out of men.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

crispix posted:

it was shown on channel 4 news

it's not even the first time in the last few days he's hosed up signing his name
This is why he goes by Charles, no way could he learn a new name.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

StarkingBarfish posted:

In a similar vein BOC just got in touch with us that due to the CF Ammonia plant in Billingham shutting due to gas prices, CO2 is getting a surcharge of GBP1540/tonne. Expect fertiliser, fizzy drinks, and loads of other stuff to become phenomenally more expensive over the coming months.
I feel like you should include beer in your examples, given that it's also dependent on CO2 production, and losing it would be a bigger blow to public order than fizzy drinks.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Only for you piss loving lager drinkers, where the carbonation is added afterwards, to make up for your weak and tepid yeasts. For the glorious ale master race there's no issue because most bottle finished ale carbonates itself.
When you drop the supply of one good, replacements will shoot up in price. The price of ale might increase by an order of magnitude if not more.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've been thinking of starting to brew my own since Christmas is gonna suck if it starts costing like £20 for 4 beers or something, and I could gift people beer. Cavemen figured it out, why not me (they did a lot of things I couldn't figure out, I'm gonna gently caress this up)
If you gently caress up a sourdough starter you get alcohol, if you leave some fruit in the jungle it turns into alcohol, pretty sure it's basically impossible to not make beer if you put some carbohydrates in water.

smellmycheese posted:

Putin will end up not only converting Europe to green energy but also entire nations into CAMRA neckbeards
We can only hope.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

I do not get this peasant mindset.
This is a ridiculous comparisons, peasants were never as brainwashed as these people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The way I have always understood it is that the bi in bisexual refers to both heterogenous and homogenous attraction, those being the other two common categories and which, importantly, include literally every form of attraction because "like myself" and "not like myself" are two sets that include every possible thing that exists. And that's why I still use the word, because the idea that it refers only to two very specific presentations is transparently stupid because even within the subset of men and women you have a wide variety of presentations and we don't use separate words for any of them.
We're actually in a transitional period where men are being subdivided, the most obvious replacement term being chad.

happyhippy posted:

More likely its the cheapest thing they can put on knowing it will get 0 views on.
Or get the majority of views
It kinda sounds like the Puppy Bowl except for funerals.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Breaking news: King Charles has just snubbed the future queen of Denmark, a native daughter of Australia and heir to a proud Scottish maritime legacy, uninviting her from the funeral.

darkwasthenight posted:

The robotic arm Quin is fine but Islam managed to perfect the art years ago: the Jamarat Bridge is designed for crowd flow of 500,000 people an hour with no robots or moving walkways involved.

Admittedly large numbers of people have traditionally died on that part of the Hajj, but these would be Monarchists so I don't really forsee any massive loss.
I mean, as has already been pointed out, it would be far more efficient to move the coffin than the crowd. The queue is like what, 4 miles long? Split that in two by placing people on both sides of a road, and you're left with 2 miles of mourners. Even someone moving her in a wheelbarrow could clear that in an hour. Obviously more people might show up if you did this, but that would easily be solved by having the coffin just do loops around like Hyde Park or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

High humidity in winter can be dealt with by airing out the room occasionally, doesn’t require spending money. As long as the outside temperature is lower than the inside temperature, that is.
Of course airing out when it's cold out is gonna be increasingly expensive.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

A minute or two is enough to lower humidity without lowering temperature. Most of the heat energy in a room is in the walls and furniture while the humidity is in the air.
Right, we are talking British brick houses. Yeah, not that big of a deal there.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

bessantj posted:

I heard one reporter call the queue a "healing moment" so now the queue itself has become holy.
Each year from now, Queuemas will be held in September. By 2030, the first Queuemas decorations will start going up at the start of summer.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Please explain it to me then, coz it is totally mysterious to me. I cannot begin to imagine why anyone would fanny about in a queue for 18 hours, or pay hundreds of pounds for the wrist band of someone who did, just so I could tell people I was there. Because a) it's on the telly, I can already see it isn't remotely interesting & b) I never knew the Queen, she never impacted on my life. I've shed a tear when family & friends died, I've been moved by the death of artists & creators who have changed my life through their art, even in a small way. I do not understand the performative morning for someone who has...I dunno, wave at people?
In a positive way. She has probably helped change your life in innumerable ways, all of which were for the worse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Good god no, the fbpe brigade are liberals, they absolutely hate change, the queen is a noble servant of our country and we should show her proper respect etc etc, as dunt says she's an institution and they loving love institutions.

The queen is like, the most decorum thing to ever exist, of course they loving love her.
Yeah, the ideal for these people is having the right autocrat in charge, not anything approaching democracy. The right autocrat being the one that keeps things the same while presenting the serious image of competence they imagine represents themselves.

Like, didn't they actually ask the Queen to stop Brexit?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

As far as I can tell the royal family have a shared money pool as long as they're part of the direct line, which is why Harry stepped down as a senior royal in order to make money on his own.
Monarcho-Communism

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Haystack posted:

That actually touches on part of the issue. "Female" as a noun as has a clinical vibe to it.
Because that's how it had come to be used by the start of the 20th century. And even though it started as a noun like seven centuries ago, for, well, human females, it was almost immediately appropriated for use in husbandry and poo poo. The clinical use of the term seems to have been part of pushing it over the edge though, because apparently it was fine to use for both female humans and goats before.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Anyone who thinks that 'ethnic tensions' or outside agitators are necessary for Leicester to riot ought to be reminded that the largest riot (outside of actual civil war) was over a rumour that a big balloon was actually a slightly smaller balloon so as a city we're quite capable of ruining our reputation ourselves.
Hmm, I'm not reading that story the same way as you. It seems more like some dude claimed that the balloon they were seeing sucked, and someone else could have made a better balloon instead of wasting everyone's time with a lovely one.

It definitely reads like something that would happen today though, even if not with a balloon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

They should have demanded a bigger coffin at the funeral IMO.
You're hiding her! This is the lovely small queen for plebs, not the real queen.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My partner recently said she was glad I’m not into football. I pointed out that football is only 90 minutes, whereas a bike race can be 4-5 hours, but she was still pleased with my choices
Bike races lets the casual viewer see a variety of landscapes, funny-looking fans, and the occasional crash. Not sure how it is in the UK, but here in Denmark, our long time Tour de France commentator basically did a live documentary about the places along the route, which also greatly improved the quality of the whole affair. I'm thinking you might have one of those commentators as well, as the guy turned out to have had underage sex-slaves in Haiti.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

To be fair, a lot of her former subjects might be watching just to make sure she's actually dead.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Not gonna lie I had my eyes locked on when the pallbearers were carrying her up the stairs. If Royal Coffin Floppers was going to happen I was not going to loving miss that
I am assume there's a delay on the broadcast to prevent this sort of thing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Would have won eurovision if we'd entered that.
I don't know. The television vote for sure, but the eury would gently caress it up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Usually based on the order of succession, so if Harry turned it down it'd be King Baby and Regent Andrew, the one thing we didn't want to happen.
There are literally three kids ahead of him in the order of succession.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah "the king is only 5 so let's make his younger sibling regent" doesn't work too well.
He's 9 now! The Black Prince was put in charge when he was 8, no reason George couldn't rule.

OwlFancier posted:

If you had enough babies you could probable create a greater aggregate intelligence than most individual members of the aristocracy, probably not even that many babies tbh.
I feel like a 9 year old would really rise to the occasion if threatened with having their 7 year old sister or 4 your old brother be put in charge if they didn't behave in a manner befitting their station. He's probably not even scared of cling film.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I clicked this, and a video came up about resetting the algorithm to 100% lizards.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Can people clarify the VAT thing? Does this mean someone with an Irish passport can go into the shops and pay 17% less than their neighbors, despite being permanent residents of the UK?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

piano chimp posted:

My pet theory is that Truss is actually a sleeper accelerationist working from within cos I can't explain her behaviour any other way.
She killed the Queen to test the worth of the UK, and found its people wanting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve only seen a shoplifter justifiably caught once and that’s because the prick assaulted one of the guys I worked with in the act (asked to see something from one of the locked cabinets all the small but expensive poo poo was kept in, then grabbed the back of his head and smashed his face into the top of the cabinet just as he unlocked it), so watching the security guy come flying out of nowhere and tackle him hard enough to pop the sliding doors he was trying to escape out off their hinges just felt like karma rather than heavy handed capitalist enforcement.
I think that's just a robbery.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/Effiedeans/status/1573631348190986241

20 meals at 184 cals per meal. And few vitamins and minerals.
If you use the oats to attract a horse, you could easily get 100-150kg of prime chevaline. You have to watch out in Scotland though, as you get far less bang for your buck if you manage to attract a Scotsman instead.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

qhat posted:

Texas' electricity comes from mostly natural gas, which the USA has absolutely no shortage of, and coal and wind with some nuclear and solar on the side. None of these things are going anywhere.
I think the point is that the US does actually have issues with energy, it's just the logistics instead of the supply. No amount of natural gas will bring a broken pylon online.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mebh posted:

Huh, it was fine over summer and the heatwave even though it definitely got above 45. The internal temp didn't waver. Its a socking great big, silver floor to ceiling fridge tho from Spain. Guess I'll keep dig out the user manual and see if they have guidelines
Even if internal temperatures were fine, the environment you describe would require roughly twice as much cooling compared to usual, and more expensive cooling to boot given that heat pumps become much less effective when ΔT goes up like that. Aside from that, I would just be worried about wear and tear if the heat pump is being asked to run outside its regular design range.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

I know all about that actually and it's not really a problem with a good burning setup and particularly not in a non urban area.

I know most firewood stoves outside the nordics are polluting inefficient shits so I can understand someone not from here would have a different view.

Going from a local renewably sourced fuel to a fossil fuel is absolutely the worst thing I could imagine.
We're discussing making firewood stoves illegal in Denmark in suburban areas, due to the pollutants being a risk to your surrounding environment.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Count us in among the "bought a house with insane radiator placement" though. One in the hall right by the front door, one in the living room right behind the only sensible place to put a sofa so you just block the majority of the heat, bedroom ones right under windows, kitchen one at the very far end of the room basically next to the back door... most of it is loving pointless.
Radiators right under windows is literally the ideal location, especially if you have lovely windows, since they counteract downdrafts.

Guavanaut posted:

I got one of those painted fibreboard covers for the one that's not in a stupid place.

Far as I can tell, that one is in a stupid place. Internally located radiators exacerbate the effects of cold outer walls and windows, creating an updraft that speeds up the downdraft near cold surfaces.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Biggus Dickus posted:

Yeah, my plumber told me that radiators were traditionally positioned under windows to prevent circular convection draughts. Not sure how relevant that is with more modern double-glazing, though.
It's still relevant, since the radiators will reinforce even the lower draught of "modern double-glazing", though I suppose the British might just be more accepting of draughts given their existing housing stock. Like, if you're used to single-glazed, then double-glazing is an amazing improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If people can't pay a mortgage of X, they won't be able to rent it for X either. They'll have to rent them at 80% X or whatever, and that means they have to downvalue the property to it's rentable value, same way they value a BTL. Meanwhile the bank-landlord is now liable for a bunch of costs and maintenance that homeowners pay themselves.

Well, if their auditors are being competent they would. Given the current scandals in the big 4 auditing industry, that may not be the case...
Yeah, the banks might not want to actually own those properties. A colleague of mine put in a low bid on a property he knew through the rumor mill was gonna get foreclosed on, which the bank pretended to be gravely offended at. A week later he got the property at the price of his original offer, 1/3 of the price it was originally bought at by the previous owner. Now this was a lovely-rear end property that would need a lot of repairs, which the bank obviously realized, but the general logic of them not wanting to sit on an asset which might depreciate dramatically due to previous neglect kinda goes for housing in general. Given all the speculation they do, even taking a 20% loss on a property might still be preferable to them, just because it lets them invest that money into whatever insane schemes they're now involved in.