Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bees x1000 posted:

There's a lot of little and big things I don't like about the Angels, but the Nevin hire is breaking my brain. This is blatant punting and really hard to spin as anything other than wasting another year of Trout and Ohtani.

They should simply trade them both to the Yankees for Tyler Wade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't think Correa is necessarily more cocky than any professional athlete, he's just really awkward when he talks about it. Like, the whole Dior thing is a pretty obvious analogy delivered in the least relatable, easiest-to-make-fun of way.

Also yeah, the whole 2017 Astros thing colors all of it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Bregman poo poo on alt right Nazi types then someone replied that he was costing himself jersey sales and he said gently caress you I don't want you buying my jersey so he's alright with me

He is Jewish, which always buys athletes entirely too much goodwill from me and made the people being like "Wow you're being political!" even funnier.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

this strolled across my timeline so why not, I've never seen it before and maybe someone else hasn't either

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1581788877185961985

what a hose

Bo is seriously underrated.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Part of the problem is that I believe Fanatics has a monopoly on most league merch now

Yep, I think all of the current stuff goes through them and all of the "throwback" stuff is Mitchell & Ness who don't seem to do any MLB hats anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

YankeesFans is king for sure. My personal fave is still

It's the head tilt and looking off into the middle distance that's so perfect and relatable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Oh that reminds me, the dads disproved Ewing Theory in addition to breaking the Dodgers streak

Or, hear me out here, are the Braves the Ewing of the NL, so them not being there made the Padres and Phillies even stronger? I'll discuss it more after Pearl Jam.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I mean to be fair Cashman flat-out said Gio "is no Josh Donaldson" about the trade so were I in his shoes I'd be taking a little victory lap too.

Turns out he was right.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

idk about Boone but I think at least right now the disconnect between fans and industry people regarding Cashman is that Cashman has historically been one of the best GM's in the league, but he honestly kinda stunk it up this year in some very visible ways. The Donaldson-Gio swap turned out to be a straight downgrade, big name SS's like Seager/Story/Correa were passed up in the offseason for a cheaper IKF trade who Cashman assured everybody would break out and then he didn't, the whole missing out on Castillo but still trading away Montgomery fiasco, and trading away one of their better and MLB-ready pitching prospects in Wesneski for Effross, only to see Effross quickly go down for 18 months needing TJS while Wesneski excelled with the Cubs down the stretch. And those are just the ones I remember as a casual outside observer, I'm sure mcmagic could crack open the ancient book of Yankee fan grudges and pile more on.

I've never seen every single trade* absolutely blow up in a team's face like they did for the Yankees this year even as they generally got good grades at the time. Andrew Benintendi broke a bone that he had removed in college.

*Harrison Gooder excepted, obviously.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I do not recommend watching the video of his injury.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Niwrad posted:

Can someone explain how Rizzo is eligible for a QO? Isn't this his 2nd or 3rd MLB contract? I thought that only applied to your first contract after the arbitration years ran out.

I thought it was just that you can only get one QO in your career, not that you had to get it at a specific point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I thought they didn't trade him because they were hoping to keep him

If that was the case they didn't do a very good job.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fast cars loose anus posted:

yeah at this point getting a single meaningful major league inning out of him and not just one last "gently caress it throw him out there and see" try would be a miracle

TINSTAAPP but also their REALLY isn't any such thing as one when they've been through as much as Whitley

I've heard the org is also very much over his bullshit in a way that makes me shocked he hasn't been traded.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sab0921 posted:

Pena killed it in the postseason, but was an average hitter during the season - his OPS+ was 101. Correa was 140.

We love our World Series MVP but he isn't close to what Correa is.

He had a big swoon in the summer, but overall he still looks pretty legit. I'm mad that the Astros just have a seemingly endless pool of these dudes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This is kind of wild, right? Won the WS, got a one-year offer?!

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1591123075361275911?s=20&t=otdzEZV8T4ZkDN0-IpKJQg

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

I guess Crane thinks he can get David Stearns. I have no idea otherwise.

Didn't Stearns already say he's not leaving Milwaukee for at least another year?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

People say a lot of poo poo. Stearns is Luhnow's protege and Crane can throw insane money at him. Or maybe he names Dusty GM and I put my head through a wall

Honestly, Click couldn't assemble a team to go undefeated in the postseason and well that's unacceptable.

Yeah but I thought he was still under contract, they just changed his title.

Yankees should promote Cashman to something fancy and hire Click imo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Supposedly one of the things Click did that Crane didn't like was hire more scouts, thus raising the payroll of the FO, which is just a hilariously pathetic showing for Crane

No fuckin' way.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oh I remember reading about them bringing back scouts, I just never thought it would be a fireable offense, those guys get paid like garbage!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

Why don't these fans simply boo their own team, and hate them?

No see, you can't do that either. Just stand perfectly still at all times in silence.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Shame on the Astros for being the one place where an employee who would later be fired for it acted like an entitled rear end in a top hat

Popete made a totally reasonable statement that the Astros FO seems like a lovely culture and you are now going out of your way to defend them which seems like a poor use of time? He didn't conflate being a fan of the team with being a fan of the FO.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 11, 2022

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sab0921 posted:

So Kershaw is going to get re-signed for less $20MM which feels like a loving steal for a guy who pitched 120 innings last year with a 184 ERA+ and a WHIP less than 1.

Kershaw's stats on a per-inning basis have barely changed since his peak, it's amazing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fast cars loose anus posted:

Did we talk about the Feds maybe needing to check if Steve Cohen is involved in some really lucrative investment schemes

Putting all of the saved money into crypto.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lumpy posted:

I heard Aaron Judge is out of work right now, they should give him a call.

Brian Cashman doesn't have a contract either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Oh hey weird, we spoke his name and then this just dropped:

https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status/1591810648261918722

Cool Kyle should be looking for ways to shed more velo, dammit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Happy that Rizzo is back and the contract seems pretty much perfect. Now go get the other half of Jizzo back.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Fingers crossed for Abreu now

I get the feeling they'll just bring Yuli back and hope his playoff run was more indicative of what he has left than his regular season

Bell seems like more of an Astros guy than Abreu.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Anderson is an oft-injured soon-to-be 33 year old coming off the absolute best year of his career in terms of IP, ERA, and FIP, conjured up by Dodgers pitching magic. Signing him seems like an absolute trap so I am not at all surprised the Angels jumped the market for him.

I think there are teams that could have kept that plate spinning but the Angels are not one of them. (To be a little self-aggrandizing, I picked one FA for every team the other week at PL, I'm 0-fer so far...)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 16, 2022

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Former Guardians top prospect Nolan Jones just got traded to Colorado

Guy they're getting back has no power but never strikes out. They definitely have a type.

Popete posted:

Hyde or Servais should have won over Francona. The AL Central is just not competitive.

I would have gone with Servais but Francona is a great manager so I can't get too mad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

They might try and move Gleyber for a pitcher and play DJ at 2nd. They do still need an outfielder too, and the rumor is they like Yoshida. I'd be down with that as they definitely need more contact in the lineup if he got posted and wants to play there

I saw a Twitter post that they've also checked in on Nimmo and I'm into it.

I'm really surprised they left spots on the 40-man given some of the dudes that are Rule 5 eligible though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

If there’s a deal there for a quality SP I can definitely see them moving Gleyber and using the trio of rookies and DJLM. But I don’t think it happens to make it happen. And I don’t see them including any of those kids. And I think Cashman is timid about SP trades at this stage. So I dunno. It’s definitely possible but I’m not sure who we’re talking about. If it happens I assume it happens at the Winter Meetings.

When I was at First Pitch AZ I asked the prospect panel about the Yankees SS situation and they said they thought Volpe was probably ticketed for 2B long-term (arm isn't good enough to stick at SS, not that he's bad defensively overall) and that Peraza might not be able to hit well enough for the Yankees. Their solution was to just sign Correa but everybody agreed that Volpe looks like he's going to be an impact player on both sides of the ball, which is nice.

At the very least, if they move on from Gleyber, they could have Volpe play 2B with SS on the side, and have DJ fill in for 2B/3B/1B as needed, because I assume the Yankees are going to try to do more load management with him at this point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

I think there’s a nonzero chance that be the end of next season the Yankee If is Cabrera at 3B, Peraza at SS, and Volpe at 2B. But Volpe has never had a major league AB, Peraza didn’t do much in his first foray, Cabrera is like a pixie dream super utility player at this stage, and Torres had a good season as much as Yankee fans are determined to pretend otherwise. So I don’t see it being a plan going into spring training. It’s just depth chart speculation for injuries, struggles, or if a tempting trade does come up.

And I just don’t see this team abandoning the plan to try the kids and signing Correa, X, or Turner. The only scenario where I see that happening is a chaos one where they lose Judge, fire Cash, and all hell breaks loose as the ghost of The Boss and a million sports radio idiots possess Hal Steinbrenner.

It does feel like there's more smoke to the Torres trade rumors this calendar year than in the past:

https://twitter.com/NYYNick_/status/1592672878046367744?s=20&t=s8dNKPRbIPnpAapFGcXQeQ

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

He should be able to return as a DH near the beginning of the season if all goes well.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

It rules that the Wilpons are still out here loving with the Mets.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They should absolutely not be trading Kirk from that trio, either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I had a great time at Wrigley, I just wish they would make it so the bleachers aren't a whole separate thing, I would totally go hang out there for an inning if I could then go back to my seats.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

more falafel please posted:

You can do the other way -- if you have a bleacher ticket you can get into the grandstand and go back. It's a little weird, but the bleachers are more of a destination at Wrigley than they are other places, and they're usually sold out. There's not really standing room in the bleachers except the concourse behind them, so if you let anyone wander back there it would become a mess real quick.

Ah, I guess that makes sense. I'll have to just sit out there next time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I think they all look very good but I really love the Twin Cities alt. I guess I'm just easy to please.

Kirios posted:

Why does it look like the Marlins M

The hat is definitely iffy, makes me think Seattle and Miami first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Oh whoops for some reason I saw Los Angeles and just went straight to Dodgers instead of actually reading, lol.

I gues he's an upgrade at SS, goddamn I cannot believe a .767 OPS was a 121 OPS+ this year. Goddamn offense was depressed to hell and back.

He's not a particularly good SS defensively, but Rendon will be hurt a bunch so he'll play 3B most of the time anyway.