Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

My primary concern with Elden Ring is that I'll boot it up, realize it needs really intense focus, so I'll play it for 2-3 sessions and then keep finding excuses not to play it. :negative: (someday I'll return to you Nioh...someday...)

Or you’ll play it for 2-3 sessions and become absurdly hooked and fall in love with it.

It’s real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Foul Fowl posted:

i'd recommend playing through the games in order if you're interested in the franchise as a whole since they form a nice coherent skill curve from 1 to 2 to 3 to elden ring.

Actually you should start with kings field 1 so you really understand everything that came before.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd heard the Golden Idol was comparable to Obra Dinn. Is that true? Cause it's an easy purchase if so.

Not quite as good, but comparable yea.

It’s shorter and easier, but it’s the same deductive logic puzzles that you complete in Obra Dinn. If this is John, which we know because John has glasses and this guy has glasses, then that must be Jake, John’s older brother, which means Roger is the dead guy, etc.

It’s a more conventional narrative than Obra Dinn too, which I know some people prefer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Agreed, children are stupid. That's why they enjoy children's media like video games rather than enjoying more mature forms of leisure.

Like whiskey and cheating on your spouse

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Could anyone give some recommendations for good deck building games on Steam? I've really enjoyed Slay the Spire, but I'm hoping to branch out a bit to other games that still involve a deck building element.

Monster Train is probably my favorite. Roguebook is good too - it’s less about building a streamlined machine of a deck, and more about managing the mess.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Orvin posted:

Can I dive straight into Legend of Grimrock 2? Would I be missing anything by skipping #1. I have limited enough time for gaming, so might as well jump straight to the best one if that is a valid option.

You can dive right into Grimrock 2.

Agree with the person above, one of my favorite games ever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finished up Kona earlier this week. It’s a game that reminds me very much of Firewatch, albeit not quite up to that level of polish. You’re a hard boiled detective going to investigate a murder in a small Quebec village in the 60s. 4 or 5 hours to beat. Unlike Firewatch there is some extremely light combat, but otherwise it’s pretty basic exploration and environmental puzzles as you suss out the story.

The thing that sets Kona apart is the voice acting and the setting. I don’t know how many other games have real good Quebecois characters, but they got Guy Nadon to narrate the main character and the writing is extremely rural Quebec. It’s very good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fwoderwick posted:

I think I liked Kona less as it went on. It had a bit of a Long Dark feel early on (not in any game mechanic sense, more of a location vibe I guess) but as the story took it's turns it lost me a bit.

I definitely enjoyed my time overall with it but I absolutely loved Firewatch and Kona is a few steps below in my opinion.

I agree with this, but man Kona nails rural Quebec if you have any inclination toward a story in that setting.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like the Find All games. I picked them up in some bundle, and my wife and I played 1 and most of 2 in bed with the Steam Deck. Very chill, replaces crosswords or whatever that we would sometimes do.

Desktop dungeons is also great on the steam deck. It’s surprising that this was a dead end design that hadn’t been followed up on, given how compelling this game is.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anno posted:

At the very least I’m glad that Arkane Farcry is overtly political rather than so mealy mouthed about everything. I think Harvey Smith was basically like “yeah the vampires are all basically Peter Thiel” which is going to make it much more fun to stab them.

This is the only thing I’ve heard about the game that makes me remotely interested.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

Desktop Dungeon's metaprogression of just unlocking more and weirder classes and items to use is the best way to do it imo

Sure you can win with the easy human fighter. Can you win with the goblin transmuter or figure out how to leverage the transmutation scroll instead of the +4 starting weapon?

This is the only meta progression I’m ok with. But I also think I should be able to click “unlock all” if I want too. How ToME did it, basically.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Random question. I don’t know if I’m tired or what, but I’m playing a demo for Islands of the Caliph and there are only keyboard shortcuts right now, no mouse. They use wasd and letter keys for most actions. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what keys “cul” and “cur” refer to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hwurmp posted:

just a wild guess but could it be { and }

Argh, yeah that makes sense. Thanks

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tape to tape is probably the best hockey game on PC right now. Which makes me sad. It’s good, but I wish NHL 20x was on PC.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I remember seeing videos of that and thinking the whole roguelite framework aspect felt completely unneeded and that I would've been more interested in a game that just tried to recapture the magic of 90s console hockey games like its actual match gameplay seems to.

Agreed. The run based roguelike stuff is ok but I’d prefer having a GM or season mode.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

kazil posted:

Key to Elden Ring is if something seems too hard or is just kicking your rear end too much, go somewhere else. It's a very large game.

The chest pretty close to the start of the game laughs at this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

I don’t remember who it was that recommended the Balatro demo ITT but

a.) drat you
b.) They reset the demo limit as part of a patch to make Steam track it to prevent trickery, so you can play it a little more
c.) drat you

I played the last play test and my feedback is: it’s so loving good, take my money now.

e: also

Brocktoon posted:

Just wanted to point out my brother’s chill cartography puzzle game CACHE GRABBERS is 50% off, if you may be interested in that kind of thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2258260/Cache_Grabbers/

Thanks for posting this. This looks to be very much my jam

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 2, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Halls of Torment feels pretty good to me, though I’m struggling a bit with making meaningful progress.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

I for one will play BG3 definitive enhanced goty all-DLC edition like 4-5 years from now when it's at a 75% sale, just as Gabe intended.

I’ll get to it as soon as I finish this first time playthrough of Fallout New Vegas, and then maybe Cyberpunk 2077. And Divinity Original Sin 2. And and and

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ShadowMar posted:

upon starting king's field 4, if you take a single step forward, the floor will collapse and you will fall in lava and instantly die.

from software games are downright welcoming nowadays by comparison and sometimes you just want that flavor of rear end kicking

It’s like the only place that does that though. It’s a weird way to start a game. KF4 is mean but not harder than souls games at all.

I played KF4 on steam deck around the holidays last year with completely remapped controls and it was awesome. There’s really not much out there like it. It shares a lot with the souls games that would come later, but it’s more claustrophobic and the only souls game with exploration to match is the first half of DS1 in terms of interconnectivity and a coherent geographic space. It does the souls style storytelling too, with obscure quests and descriptions but I think the world is a bit more well formed and easy to follow, maybe because it’s more generically just dark fantasy.

The combat is not as deep mechanically as Souls and because of that I don’t think it would stand up to replays as well as Souls does, but there’s an enjoyable rhythm to it once you get the pace of it. Souls is also a bit of a power fantasy where you start getting bodied by tutorial enemies, and KF has that as well. You start barely able to swing a club and by the end you’re killing god kings with your laser swords.

I don’t know where it ranks in my soulsborne ranking but I think it’s not the bottom game and I highly recommend it. With remapped controls.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i dunno how likely that is since they made a big deal of the remake being playstation exclusive
but ps3 is emulatable nowadays so you could in theory play the original DeS right now

You can even play online using an emulator and the custom server. It’s great!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That makes me a bit disappointed. I really enjoyed the slower and more methodical pace of Blasphemous 1.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

Dev's Twitter says it's the final DLC.

gently caress :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Whitehurst is a private capital ghoul and industry outsider, so him as interim CEO won't restore anyone's confidence in Unity. As seems to be par for the course, they couldn't have hosed this up harder if they tried.

He was a tech ceo for more than a decade. Honestly he or someone like him makes a lot of sense for unity, given they aren’t just a games company anymore.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jusant is really good. I’m excited for the full release.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I like audiobooks for light/low-focus material. It doesn't really hurt my focus to listen to the Dresden Files (though I dumped that series) or whatever. If it's anything I would need to focus on then nah.

Best audiobook I listened to was Anthony Bourdain narrating Medium Raw. Just telling wild stories and making GBS threads on overrated food personalities.

In game news, anyone try Par for the Dungeon? If I have a chance to play the demo today I will, but it comes out tomorrow. This YouTube review makes it seem real interesting.

https://youtu.be/o9e_6arMasA?si=T0Jod2DbZgIIiolh

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shard posted:

I'm gonna get my son a steam deck for his birthday. I already have like 692 games but I'm always open to suggestions. Are there any particular games anyone finds really fun or better to play on the deck?

I’m playing Prodigal right now on the deck and really enjoying it. My favorite games on the deck this year are probably emulated Kings Field 4, an indie JRPG called Ara Fell, and Assassins Creed Brotherhood.

In general anything a few years old that plays well with a controller is going to be great on the deck. Newer stuff can be good too but it depends a bit more.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/oled

gen2 steam deck is official, gen1 models got a price cut

Well I’m buying one. Hell yeah

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I beat Legends of Amberland today and am eagerly anticipating the sequel in December. Just a fun streamlined throwback to Might and Magic 3-5. Works great on a steam deck too!

It’s not as good as those games, but it’s probably the best clone of them that I’ve found.

Only note was that it was very easy on normal mode, so I might be stepping the difficulty up in 2.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno about the libertarian poo poo but Jason Schrier’s book Press Reset talks about the Bioshock development saga and Ken Levine comes across as a tremendous self centred rear end in a top hat.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Owlcat games also go into bundles and on pretty deep discounts if you don’t intend to play it right away.

Unrelated to that, I started playing CrossCode and drat, this is really fun. I hear the puzzles get a bit out of hand but I think I’m ok with that. I probably should have tried this one sooner.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

I didn't read that huge block of text at first as I already love the poo poo out of Avernum, but I just browsed it now and man, you made a dedicated thief? They have always sucked, sorry. I just put a bunch of trap skill on the #2 melee bruiser.

SilkyP, if you are gonna pick up the game, just roll a pretty vanilla party of some burly guys up front, a mage, and a priest. Getting fancy with the party comp results is challenge runs. Also, welcome, the series's creator Jeff Vogel once said "innovation is overrated", as he churns out the 20th of the same game in as many years. He's not wrong! Sometimes you just wanna dungeon crawl in intricately bespoke worlds, and graphics can take a back seat.

I wish he churned out clones of the original exile series. I bought exile 2 over the phone with my mom’s credit card and I loved the hell out of that game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bounty of One is a VS-like that I played a bunch of over the holidays with my son. I don’t think it would be my choice for solo play, but it was a blast for multiplayer. It’s fast and the combos you can create are a ton of fun. If you’ve got multiple people who want to play this type of game, I’d recommend this one.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s wild how popular Hogwarts was and how everyone agreed to just not talk about it.

(e: wild and good)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

How will it handle it if say, I’m playing Infinite Wealth on my Steam Deck, suspend it, a family member boots up the game on their PC, and then I wake up my Steam Deck?

Probably the same that happens now. It kicks one person off steam theoretically. In practice it doesn’t seem to behave that way consistently. It usually affects you when you go to start a new game and need to log back into steam.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ineffiable posted:

What is the plan for when you have more than 100 games on the wishlist? Are you just waiting for if they hit 75-90% off?

I feel like if a game hits that and you don't buy it, you probably didn't want it that bad anyway and should purge it.

I keep games I’m kind of interested in on the wish list to flag when bundles come up that include them.

Like Strix, I own more games than I’ll ever play, but that’s fine. I have more money than time at this point in my life and I get enjoyment out of the possibility of playing stuff. It’s the same reason I own so many books.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best part about blighttown is how once you’ve been through the game a couple times it become a walk in the park to get down there and navigate the space. That’s the best part of Souls, tbh. The feeling of mastery extending beyond the moment to moment gameplay to the space itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

Anyone get Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms? When No Rest for the Wicked came out I was reminded that this game was on my radar at one point because each seem to have the same kind of combat. It looks super neat and the idea that there are also other heroes running around solving the world's problems so you can't dilly-dally around sound rad.

Devs on the Steam forums basically said the game is done and they're just keeping it in early access to tune the game up and finished up the roadmap they have set for themselves before doing a 1.0 so to speak and a console release.

I did, I found it a bit wonky to control, but haven’t put enough time into it to really give it a fair shake.