Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

SgtSteel91 posted:

Witch Queen also introduced Hive Guardians, which was a really interesting addition to an existing faction and lore in general.

The Tormentor seems like an interesting boss character for the “Witness” faction, but it’s being stapled to the Cabal
So a Cabal that's got additional darkness powers (resonance, strand, ice, something like that?) as opposed to a Hive that's got additional light powers. That'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mazerunner posted:

There are more grenades that will unlock in the future. Grapple also isn't hunter exclusive. Also you are using the enhanced melee at the end right?

They digitized in response to the pyramids so they wouldn't be bored in bunkers or have civilian in warzone
Once you're done with the campaign, you can buy the other grenades for 50 strand essence a pop at the Pouka pool.

Legend campaign isn't that bad, but once you hit Calus do yourself a favor and group up with two other people from D2LFG or OverChill or something. I tried several times with different builds on my Hunter, and couldn't crack that particular nut. Attrition during the first phase, or getting repeat dived in the second phase, with each dive doing 80%+ damage, even with 100 res/conc/melee resists. With three people, despite the additional health pool, Calus was confused the whole fight as to who to shoot, and once we hit phase 2 he was, again, lost, switching targets at random and failing to swing at us even once. It can't be overstated how nice it is to not have to do 20+LL worth of grinding right out of the gate to hit hard cap.

Even with the additional infusion materials during the campaign, I kept hitting moments where I felt I needed to swap gear around to run something that would be more effective (shoutouts to bringing a smg/wave frame/parasite into the final boss room and finding that 50% of the floors let grenades/waves pass through them, and tormentors ignore damage from wave frames completely) and just couldn't because I had worked myself into a corner with my infusions. We just came off of a season with scaling difficulty that, while it wasn't perfect, still felt like it was more skill/build related than "did you put in the time and get lucky with your drops".

The post campaign experience was and has been the same gameplay loop, with the lingering dread of needing to do certain activities at like 40-50 LL under to get the LL increases. Again, incredibly unpleasant if you want to do anything on Neomuna, as everything late-game is floating at around 1800/1810

I hope they accelerate their plans to remove light level from D2, or mitigate the loss of light sources post expansion launch.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

syntaxfunction posted:

I thought the mod system was horribly nerfed and we were underpowered? Wasn't that the whole thing for a while here?
From what I've been able to tell, there's specific builds that are absurdly, wildly effective due to Strand (and Suspension in specific) being a powerhouse in PvE.

Glaives triggering unpowered melee exotics (necrogrips/karnsteins and others), Glaives now making orbs of power and triggering volatile rounds (this is new - i didn't see patch notes for it), the strand subclass rewarding suspension kills with class ability energy and grenade energy for ticks of damage (a feature heavily leant on by striga or necrogrips or both). It's very synergistic.

I will say that it requires kills. In content where you're overwhelmed by slightly beefier enemies, I don't think the necrogrip build holds up. Legend Nightfall this week (Heist: Mars) kicked my rear end a bunch during the door hacking portion, due to ranged ineffectiveness and beefier shielded adds. 20 under light with Empath means that sword knights can one-shot you with melee, as well.

Certain "engine" subclasses like Solar survived the changes pretty well. Exotics that cheat cooldowns heavily like Omnioculus and Young Akamhara's Spine feel great in this new sandbox.

My stasis hunter and warlock feel gutted after the changes. No shards -> armor charge mod means that I can't leverage grenade kickstart as easily as other subclasses, the cooldowns got much longer, and duskfield lockdown (Hunter) or stasis turret lockdown (Warlock) feel woefully inadequate compared to the 5-7s suspends that Strand is pumping out.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

MJeff posted:

What's the new perk that's Incandescent for Volatile? I'm waiting for a gun that can roll that AND Repulsor and I will be so horny when it happens.
Raid shotgun, Seasonal grenade launcher.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Decided to delete it rarely-played Hunter and make a new one to play all the campaigns though with a hand cannon and Lucky Pants.

It seems like Hawkmoon doesn’t benefit from them? Or does it just not gain a benefit from the final round with Paracausal Charge stacks? I like it, Ace of Spades, and Crimson, but quick googling seems like hawkmoon doesn’t get much of a boost from the pants.
When they specifically changed how Lucky Pants worked, there was a patch note explaining how Hawkmoon's damage bump would be exempt with lucky pants.

One of the better fits for the pants is Malfeasance, I use it with voltshot weapons on an arc hunter, and applying jolt then going for Malf procs a significant amount of damage.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 12, 2023

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Why can’t I get the catalyst for my Osteo Striga? Internet says I just need it to get to level 10, but it’s currently 13 and it doesn’t even have a catalyst slot.
Shouldn't you be able to reshape it to give it a catalyst at the Enclave?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried the godmode cheese to get the Master version of this week's story mission done. Without needing to care about my life, it took about 12 minutes to get to where I could be invincible, and about 35 to finish the mission. It's a brutal combination of arguably four of the most dangerous enemies in the game (Hydras, Overload Minotaurs, Wyverns, and Tormentors) that take way too long to kill even if you don't miss shots or make mistakes due to being mortal, with all three champion types. If you bring something like a glaive or sword you're consigning yourself to suicide if you end up point blank against any of them.

You can also, at the finish line, get stuck in the ceiling on the floor below the vent floor, or the vent floor itself. I got lucky and could get out of being stuck in the top floor ceiling, but the lower floor one I was permanently stuck - someone else on the fireteam got to the finish line.

I'm not tremendously under light, I'm at 1820, the light level it caps you at, and I was doing close to nothing to a lot of the adds.

With all that being said, I think the real clincher for why all of this content feels so out of wack is that we can't measure up to it at light parity. The 5-under and 10-under experiment from last season was workable, but 15-20 forced under hasn't been experienced outside of a GM, and GMs are 25 under this season. Prior legend/master content was geared to players who could match the light level.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kith posted:

Yes it was actually Legendary this time, I got the triumph for it and everything :cripes:

The majority of the difficulty for most people seems to be the how prevalent the adds are, and my build is... let's say friendly to the role of add-clear.

With adds being effectively a non-issue for me, the only things that really give me any trouble in Avalon are Wyverns (:argh:) and Brakion's third phase being insanely loving aggressive in an area with almost no cover (:argh::argh::argh:). I would've given up on solo legendary if not for discovering a hidey-hole in the corner that he can't path to or properly aim at.
One of the nice things about your build (and your addiction to fighting lion) is that it's bugged to do something like 100k to adds atm. It deletes red bars.

On a separate note, I have failed the 200k NF achievement 3 times. Most recent was due to a person pushing the blights too quick and despawning adds, taking a run that was aiming for 200k and dropping us to 189k.

It's a loving awful achievement, and I hope they adjust it. Chain rezzing for 10 minutes straight to hit a threshold where 200k is possible is not fun.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Jack B Nimble posted:

I played this game at launch and enjoyed it well enough in terms of playing through the campaign, and now I'm starting to hear from podcasts that the game is actually pretty good now at being something where you can play through a new mission every week? That sort of small, drip feed content sounds perfect for me, something novel I look forward to every weekend with a pretty clear "you've seen the new stuff, come back next time" limit. Is that how the game works now? Do they add one new story strike ever week or something, at least when the DLC is new? If so, I'd like to get back into the game. I downloaded the Steam client and the gunplay, of course, is still great. But I had a couple questions:

First, I don't have access to that old character anymore, because I foolishly let the Blizzard account transfer window pass - so should I buy lightfall, or the bundle of previous DLC. Does the old DLC suffer from being incongruous with the current state of the game that I'll see at the tower or anything like that? Will I still have plenty of people for strikes?

Second, in my original character I'd run Zavala strikes until I had the same red and white armor and assault rifle that my titan had started the tutorial with. I'd liked that, a little arc where I'd gotten back the old gear that was kind of a badge of office. I saw another NPC guardian in the same gear during the Lightfall cinema, so I'm guessing it's still a visual shorthand for "yup, that's a guardian". Anyway, I'd like to get that gear again, is it still available?
D2's big yearly campaigns are currently do-at-your-own-pace story driven affairs. You can complete the most recent one (Lightfall) it in about 8 hours of playtime. The Seasonal questlines are drip-fed week by week with additional seasonal activities. This season, for example, has a handful of small missions and cutscenes that were drip fed for about 5 weeks, and currently we're in the tank waiting for the conclusion of the season. Usually whenever you finish the main campaign or seasonal storyline, the post campaign shenanigans for exotics, strand fragments, weapon patterns, armor rolls, transmogs, and such take up your time. There are additional things like secret missions that crop up from time to time (Currently we have one called Avalon). Occasional events like Guardian games or Dawning (christmas) break up the monotony with additional weapons to chase, different ways to play, cosmetics and so on. People have mentioned the Guardian Rank System, and I think that's an excellent checklist of things to do in the game that can guide you towards different activities and give you something to do. After you're done with New Light, the main campaign and not sure what to do next, the GRS can point you towards accruing light, learning about the mod system, snagging upgrade materials, nightfalls, dungeons and raids.

First point: Lightfall gets you the current offerings and you can also snag the new Seasonal offerings to keep up to date on the smaller story movements. Older DLC has storylines that play into the current story but aren't necessarily super important to know about. When you purchase older content, you're mostly paying for access to the story, the weapons, the armor, and the activities that those particular pieces of DLC had. Each big content drop came with revamps to parts of the entire game. Lightfall adds Strand, a new subclass. Witch Queen added craftable weapons with foundry perks (a trend continued in Lightfall) and a revamp of all light subclasses. Beyond Light added Stasis, a new subclass. Shadowkeep added Armor 2.0 (which, all the armor is armor 2.0 now). Forsaken readded special weapons to the game and added the new light class supers (which are so standard that they're not offered for free to everyone). The quality of these DLCs vary a bit, but I think Witch Queen and Lightfall have solid campaigns gameplay-wise, with Witch Queen having some stellar storytelling. I'd pick up the most recent DLC (Lightfall) and Witch Queen and just sorta pick up the others over time depending on what you'd want, equipment and ability wise.

Second point: The "parade armor" that you see in the character creation menu is a world drop at the moment, and you can snag those items and then, using bounties from Ada-1, add them to your transmog pool. You can make all your armor look like that if you like.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Jack B Nimble posted:

So just to follow up on the "red and white titan armor" thing, that's not "Noble Constant Type 2 Armor Set"? Or is that outdated information? "Parade Armor" seems to be more of a...cosmetic?
Yeah, Noble Constant Type 2 for Titan. Frumious armor for Hunters. Ego Talon for Warlock. The world drop purple armor shares the same look as the white armor.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I haven't stepped foot in Neomuna Patrol once I got the title and weapon frames done. Even if I enjoyed the area, everything takes too long to kill, and the random Thresher or Wyvern murdering you is more annoying than challenging. It's some of the worst enemies in the game, with massive health pools, that do tons of damage, which reward close to nothing for killing them. I hope this experiment doesn't sour them completely, however. With adjustments to patrol difficulty and rewards I think the concept of having certain places feel more dangerous could open the door to revitalizing any number of current patrol destinations.

Remember Flashpoints? A pinnacle for completing bounties, lost sectors, patrols and public events on a specific planet each week. If the difficulty of a patrol zone was bumped to a -5 or -10 LL malus with additional rewards for engaging with Patrol Zone Stuff on the planet (chances at exotics, upgrade materials, whatever), it might encourage people to dick around in patrol a bit more.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

None of this removes the thresher from being a threat in play, now does it my friend?
Both threshers can be shot in the engine around a corner out of LoS of the cluster missile launcher. Your screen shakes a little and you get a bit of splash damage sometimes, but all it takes is time with any given primary of choice.

The Tormentor room requires one person to deal with acolyte eyes, and some form of CC/Suppression trivializes the tormentor handily.

I think the problem I have with Lake of Shadows is the final boss room having little to no cover, knight fire/boomer shots doing an egregious amount of damage, and being hit by tether + spawning enemies meleeing you is pretty much death. Wiping in the boss room is made especially painful because it respawns two unreachable champions before the playable area you're currently in, dropping your rewards to silver/gold.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It..... What....? I take it back, this is now the best strike because that's hilarious.
It's why if I'm doing it on Heroic with pubbies I do my best to bring a build that has a significant amount of self-sustain, CC and a machinegun at the moment. The pubbies usually beeline for the boss and burn him, which spawns several waves of thrall, multiplying psions, and knights, with encroaching black gunk restricting the combat arena. I have to be entirely devoted to add clear and surviving or else it's usually a wipe as the two randoms get overwhelmed.

But yeah, if you're taking it slow on Legend or Master it'll take you 25 minutes to get to the boss room, only to mess up and lose any possibility of good rewards.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

fast cars loose anus posted:

good to see the excellent programmers at Bungie still havent fixed the launcher/stream/elevator thing in this weeks mission from dumping you into the void randomly

e: aaaand the servers died right as I was about to finish the mission and get my seasonal challenge done, christ all loving mighty I hate this game sometimes

e2: it wasn't the servers lol this loving sack of poo poo game booted me for some battleeye bullshit (I dont cheat or use any mods or anything) and now the login servers are throttled so I guess I probably won't get back in until the mission is done so then I'll have to do that whole long buggy mission again
turn down your fps to 30 or 60 and the gravlifts will not deposit you into the void

also yeah, it seems like Destiny 2's having some connection issues atm - I had battleye take a dump as well

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
If you're willing to grapple into an enemy's face and punch them to death in high end PvE, getting rewarded with two orbs and a bit more super is a valid tradeoff. I don't agree with this change.

However 100% uptime woven mail from triple grenade kickstart hitting grapple points with Facade was probably a bit much. Same with infinite grapple flight.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

MJeff posted:

At about what level are you guys finding LLS stop being a complete pain in the rear end?
1820-ish? Depends on the lost sector.

This season, as long as I'm not doing the Neomuna lost sectors, everything goes quite smoothly.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

neutral milf hotel posted:

I ran the guardian games competitive strike yesterday, got a platinum score and then found out I can glow at the last city. Oh and I got awarded something like 8 masterworked taraxippos

Pretty cool

But I'm not too fond of having to run a few games of supremacy to get the Champ title. I think I'm gonna skip out on chasing that title
It takes about 7? 8? Supremacy matches to cover the entirety of the Champ title as well as get the Platinum rewards for this week. Not the worst thing in the world.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

haveblue posted:

For most people it will take a lot longer than 7-8 matches to get the weekly bounty

Also odds are a few of those matches will have your team get <30 crests in total
oh the weekly bounty. I was talking about the stuff in the card, not the bounty. Don't need the bounties for the card. Also I have no idea how the scoring for the card works, because I did a Supremacy match in the class-locked playlist and we won with 150 points, and it rewarded me 230 "widgets" towards the platinum weekly rewards...?

I did enough matches to go from 0->782 crucible points. It's not as many matches as you'd think, it was way longer to complete the nightfall challenge.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 3, 2023

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Also, wtf is Behemoth’s purpose? I liked my stasis warlock, but I genuinely have no idea what a stasis Titan brings to the table.
Crystals that you shatter to make shards to make overshields. Crystals that make you resist more damage. Super + RMB spams a field of crystals that, when they explode, do a ton of AOE damage to bosses.

And I guess there's diamond lance builds in there too if you like. It's a strange setup/payoff class.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
There's neat tricks like the aforementioned Wave Frame GL + Stasis Grenades affecting certain immune enemies with physics. The Nessus battleground, you can yeet the immune wyverns off the cliff with a well placed Glacier Grenade + Dead Messenger combo.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Shockeh posted:

Fuuuuck is GG really highlighting Class PVP balance woes.

Here's Guy. Guy gets a multitude of OHK melees, overshields, roaming supers with armour and options to control map flow, maps that not only have sight line control importance but also spawning Heavy ammo spots!
Now here's... this other guy. He... gets to turn invisible, kind of? I mean, not do anything, obviously, that'd be silly, and not actually invisible, we can't have that...
... which one-hit melee abilities are you thinking of, sans Peregrine Greaves?

Plenty of good stuff scattered between classes, but the entry point for fragging with Titan's pretty low due to Arc or Void's base kit. However, you operate on a very flat, lateral plane of combat within specific ranges to make that work. Hunters and warlocks perform better on the z-axis and can break your ankles in several different fun ways.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Scout rifle cascade point is hilarious. Coolguy has a video showing hitting people with one shot in the head in PvP with Trinity Ghoul ADS instantly proccing Cascade Point, and then mowing people down.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

syntaxfunction posted:

Bombardiers poo poo do their effect instantly. That'd make the exotic pants really fun. Also I guess fix the weird verb thing it's got going on. Arc doesn't actually blind, Void has "lite suppression" (tho they could just make it weaken), Stasis applies and refreshes slow, but without adding slow stacks. But Solar adds scorch and Strand applies sever fine. Weird.

I could see where it might get a bit bonkers tho. If it applies the verb instantly you could get some silly things like Stasis auto freezing on dodge (if it added slow stacks with the aspect that slows on dodge) altho in PvE that'd be pretty amazing. Severing and blinding enemies instantly on a dodge would be a bit nuts too.

Honestly it'd be hella fun in PvE but might break PvP lol

Secondary thought is change Stasis and Void effects to add full Overshield of each type (also please buff Stasis overshield DR to 50% like Void) and Strand adds Woven Mail. That'd be stupid and I'm here for it.
Having a delay would make the pants have some form of counterplay in PvP. Bungie has also shown that they can balance differently between PvE and PvP for exotic functionality, so a full suppression, blind, or more slow stacks to give that Shroud + Bomb freeze would be fine for PvE, it'd just be adjusted down a bit in PvP to nearly get there. Bombardiers are demanding a cooldown near a combatant to get an effect that you can get much easier by running something that'd be more straightforward.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Shockeh posted:

An Arc season is going to make Crucible absolute loving misery though. Hope you like never going near any corners, ever!

*Gets Dunemarcher Shotgun/Charged to the moon*
Dunemarchers is eating a significant nerf next season: (from here)

quote:

DUNEMARCHERS
Reduced the range of the chain damage from 20m to 12m and PvP damage from 85 to 50.
Knockout is eating a nerf: (from here)

quote:

Knockout currently offers a large number of easy-to-activate, powerful effects—the most prominent of which is its long-duration melee lunge bonus which has proven to be extremely difficult to combat as a potential target. To bring this Aspect’s potency closer in line with that of its peers, we’re reducing the melee lunge bonus it provides from 2 meters to 1 meter. To offset this change in PvE, we’re also increasing its uncharged melee damage bonus vs. PvE targets from 60% to 100%.

Knockout
Lunge range reduced from 6.5m to 5.5m.
Uncharged melee PvE damage bonus increased from 60% to 100%.
Shoulder charge is eating a nerf to prevent infinite mobility: (from here)

quote:

With Update 3.4.0, we made shoulder charge abilities (Seismic Strike, Shield Bash, and Hammer Strike) significantly easier to use and increased their viability as a movement tool, at the cost of the ability to one-shot other players without intentional buildcrafting. As Subclass 3.0 has rolled out and shoulder charge abilities are no longer locked to specific subclass diamonds, it’s become clear that the extreme mobility enabled by the energy cost of shoulder charge is too high.

While we’re comfortable with players having strong movement capabilities at their disposal, these abilities should have a meaningful tradeoff for their use and shouldn’t be always-on. To that end, we’re adding a small melee energy cost to shoulder charge abilities on activation, regardless of whether a target was hit. We realize this is a big shift and don’t want to punish players who use these abilities primarily for offense, so we’re offsetting this change with a decrease in their base cooldown.

Seismic Strike, Shield Bash, Hammer Strike
Now cost 15% melee energy on activation.
Base cooldowns are now standardized at 91 seconds (previously ranged from 101s to 114s).
Striker Titan is still considered Best All-Rounder in PvP, and several hits to the remainder of its kit are being considered: (from a firing range podcast, summarized by Aztecross here)

quote:

Striker Titan is hot. It's too good. The best subclass in the game. Changes to knockout should help, but further adjustments using crucible Data will be slated for a midseason patch.

please read patch notes, chicken little.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah, that's fair. I wouldn't be surprised if it remained as somewhat of a comfort pick after Tuesday anyways. If it somehow survived Shoulder Charge not 1hkoing (not counting Peregrine Greaves), a Storm Grenade nerf, Citans Nerf, a Knockout Nerf, Empty Shoulder Charge Nerf, Dunemarchers Nerf and so on, I have no idea what they'd have to do to gut it further.

With the shift to objective gamemodes for a lot of endgame PvP, I can also agree that you'll see a lot more titans in general.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

ponzicar posted:

The game right now has several raid secret chests that can be opened 3x a week with no encounter completions required, a Twitch bounty that gives you enough trials rep for a free engram at low levels, and gives enough pity exp on losses that solo queue players can get a few tacky golden guns through just participation. I don't think that trickle of free samples is making much of a difference.
DSC Chest: Must have completed at least one (1) encounter to get any of the items unlocked to come from the chest. Otherwise you get nothing.
Vow Chest: Same. Requires at least a small chunk of combat to be completed solo.
Last Wish Chest: Requires you to know how to platform/skate backwards from a checkpoint that you snag via the wishwall.

Twitch Bounty is Twitch Bounty, integration with Amazon and Twitch has always been really awkward and hamfisted, but it's to encourage people to stream or watch trials.
You still need to participate to get pity xp for loss engrams. Do poorly enough in Trials and a loss will not count at all, as it assumes you're full AFK.

None of the above are adept versions of the weapons, either, unless I missed something.

All of these things require a fair bit more effort than "be in a clan with people who do activities you don't like and sponge off of their completions via Hawthorne."

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

PERMACAV 50 posted:

The Shuro Chi chest does not require skating, what are you talking about? The first jump might require some extra mobility mods and/or a jump exotic but besides that it’s extremely simple. At this point you’re complaining about having to play the game to get loot.

I farmed that thing for a solid year before the stupid bow dropped and I don’t even know HOW to sword skate
Platforming or Skating, one of the two. Movement exotic, heat rises, strand, OOB if you don't own the raid, whatever. There's still a knowledge check and some gameplay required rather than "be in clan, talk to hawthorne by the end of the week"

An oversight for what is, currently, powercrept loot. It's from four and a half years ago and I don't think it equates to the free raid loot that Hawthorne was giving for year one of Destiny 2 for a clan completion of the raid (five and a half years ago, mind).

You can see how Bungie adjusted this over time to require at least one completion. Everything up to Crown, IIRC, gave you whatever from the chests. Garden of Salvation only dropped armor and was after encounter 1. Deep Stone only drops things you've found, and it's remained as such since.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

syntaxfunction posted:

I think people overvalue the benefits of end game weapons. It's like an instrument. Yeah, if you're an expert the differences in performance will be noticeable and appreciable, but if you're an amateur or just a normal player then you probably won't see any real benefit.

People don't need a god roll Rufus over a crafted Perpetualis any more than the average guitar player needs a $5000 guitar over the nice one they already have.
Yes and no. Certain perk combinations make certain builds work better.

For this season, Rufus' Fury vs Perpetualis is an excellent example. If I have a swarmer build on a warlock, Rufus' can operate far better because it can set up with resource generating perks and hatchling at the same time, while perpetualis only gets the choice between damage, hatchling and demo in slot 4, with only reload and consistency perks in slot 3.

I've used both, I have a fully crafted and masterworked version of both, and I would rather have had a second fully crafted Rufus with a different perk selection than the Perpetualis. The reason being is that the swarmers made by the Rufus with resource generation perks will trigger those resource generation perks.

You can make just about anything "work", but it'll feel less effective than the real deal.

Immortal vs Synchronic Roulette is another example for this season, but it's even more absurd because Immortal's the better archetype, has the better stat package, and arguably better perks overall.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

PERMACAV 50 posted:

"Watch a 90-second youtube video" is a knowledge check now? You're being an incredible baby.

Chappy posted:

As someone who only plays a hunter, I’m able to get to the chest without any of the things you mentioned.

Have you maybe tried, getting good?
... you guys do realize that I'm agreeing that you need to do the activity to get the loot, right?

I'm saying that it required more than simply being part of a clan that did poo poo and receiving free raid loot for being a warm body in a clan. It's not particularly difficult, and since the loot is from 4.5 years ago, it's not particularly rewarding either.

The thread of conversation started with someone equating needing to do some platforming from a checkpoint to being handed free raid loot by hawthorne a la Year 1 from D2, and the free raid loot was a good thing.

Bungie disagrees, and if Last Wish gets a revamp, I would imagine those chests' functionality will change.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 22, 2023

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mazerunner posted:

twas actually a mini-boss from the old Nokris strike!

and Ecthar was from the D1 exotic sword quest
That's a really neat touch.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm really glad I didn't buy Lightfall and just the 30th anniversary pack to get back into things tbh

The price is absurd to keep playing now
...? I paid $100 for an entire year's worth of content. Where are you getting bled dry?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Meiteron posted:

Given traditional AAA development timelines there is a 0.0% chance Marathon wasn't being worked on by the studio alongside Destiny and whatever their mystery third title is. Bungie hasn't been working on one game for years, they're just not announcing that fact publicly until, well, just now I guess.

And yeah, the one complaint I have never, ever understood getting as much traction as it does is there being no refresh of the core activity vendor sets this year. They are adding two raid sets, two dungeon sets, four seasonal sets and four seasonal ornament sets every year and somehow the idea that they're not adding yet another strike-cru-gambit set is a capital-B Betrayal of the playerbase. Who even remotely gives a poo poo.
We get actual farming for specific rolls of nightfall guns using the vanguard engrams, and can pull anything you want from the vendor-specific pool with engrams. There's a vendor-specific pool, even, we didn't even have that a year ago! That's a vast improvement over just hoping you get a thing.

I feel that a lot of the complaints are just dogpiling on the flavor of the week brand of negativity. You see a clip of cheaters still in the game, and start seeing people post about how Bungie doesn't care anymore, all their PvP related staff left to work on Marathon, etc, and they start reminiscing about the good old days of 30th Anniversary Edition meta, back when they only had the in-house anticheat that didn't stop poo poo. The instability affects us one day out of 2-3 weeks for notable improvements in overall stability of the game in general, and people complain about that marginal downtime, completely forgetting the shitshow that the game used to be on major launches such as Beyond Light. There's a bingo card of various things to bitch about in Destiny 2, and it's a cycle between them almost on repeat with the content creation fucks, usually after the shine of the new season has worn off and the only way to create the traffic is through drama farming.

The game isn't perfect, but it's serviceable.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Pirate Jet posted:

Battleye launched with Season of the Lost three months before 30th Anniversary, the game has seen multi-hour downtimes multiple times a week recently, and Destiny typically has very smooth launches.

I feel like there has to be a happy medium between “this game is hosed and we should be ashamed of playing it” and this weird-rear end thing this thread is doing now of “the game has zero problems whatsoever and gently caress you for remembering promises Bungie made themselves.” I’m not trying to talk anyone into hating the game unless you’re insane but I also remember periods where I didn’t have to roll the dice and if I got snake eyes then the servers would be down that day. There are several significant ways this game is behind the pack in the MMO genre and pointing that out doesn’t instantly make you influencer trash or whatever the gently caress, especially for a game that’s gotten exponentially more expensive as time has gone on.

You really do not have to treat Bungie with kid gloves. They got bought by Sony for $3.6 BILLION dollars. I could understand making a lot of excuses when they were independent, I did myself too, but now they’re owned by one of the three major console manufacturers and have their nigh-unlimited resources at hand.
drat, my timeline is off. Thank you for the correction.

The occasional downtime is a cost of trying to fix poo poo that's broken. Does raw deterioration from a digital perspective make any sense? It isn't like the foundational code gets worse and worse over time the more you use it, I don't think it obeys the same laws of entropy as, say, a physical object would. If things are breaking, it's because feature adjustments to the game itself on a seasonal basis, as well as adjustments to the backend systems to handle that load are constantly warring with one another. The downtime isn't a symptom of Bungie not giving a poo poo, it's showing that their hair is on fire trying to fix the problems we're encountering.

Money doesn't solve problems, there's a time and expertise function associated with it. I give them the benefit of the doubt regarding their intentions for the game. I doubt Bungie devs are keen on having cheaters or error codes impacting the game.

However, constantly being fed a stream of negativity that assumes the worst about the devs is just painful negative clutter in the thread. What benefit to discussion does that negativity bring? We can't fix it, only commiserate, and it makes the tone of the thread pretty bad. Just makes people who aren't interested in that kind of negativity stop participating in the thread, making it a black hole of crap that feeds itself.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
i log in occasionally for what I need, I did all the seasonal widgets I needed to and got what I wanted out of solstice.

D2 doesn't provide an infinite font of content for all time, and it's ok to take a break. dunno why there's so much wailing and gnashing of teeth about grim realities regarding what Bungie is deciding to focus on

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
The armor focusing sucked because you needed 20+40+60 dust to get an armor piece fully juiced (which is equivalent to the number of leaves you're running with).

Drops at the end of each run were heavily skewed towards armor, I got multiple armor pieces from the bonfire and a handful of guns.

I don't hold anything against Solstice as a particular add-on to seasonal stuff, grinding up more stuff as you're doing other grinding, but as a thing to do for the sake of doing it? It was pretty bad.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

who the gently caress at bungie thinks its acceptable for nightfalls to be so ridiculously variant in difficulty week to week

Not like grandmasters idgaf but just normal-rear end nightfalls. This week's is a loving torture chamber, why? Who the gently caress asked for this
Every person that's stated that the game was too easy dutifully completes one (1) of these GMs to get their gilded conqueror (if they can be bothered) and then never touch it again.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Waroduce posted:

Well you're wrong. People enjoy this poo poo and I am one of them. I'm actually like 3 for 12 (it took 6 to get my first RIP) and really enjoyed the experience of figuring out how to beat it. I also know plenty of people with way more clears than me. People run multiple times for fun and to help their friends gild. Especially the first few days after a new GM hits the rotation the discovery experience is really enjoyable for me. Oh what'd you clear on, where'd you stand? how did you handle this part? How did you open this room? Oh well did you know when he phases he does this, or that you can actually get away with X instead of Y?
There are people that enjoy the harder content. The strategy to run the GM involves the handful of sources of infinite invisibility, or standing on a platform plinking the boss with Wish Ender. The Mars GM from last season involved running back and forth between two pylons at the front of the room to kite the boss back and forth, then using invis to dunk orbs on the center. The Lightblade GM needs infinite invis for the boat section (Shoutouts to Omnioculus), as well as kiting for the final boss to glitch him out of his ranged attack. The corrupted requires good positioning and sequencing, but there is a fallback spot that avoids the adds and can offer some cover from the boss.

If you're sensing a theme with any of these GMs, it's abusing blind spots in the boss's AI and slowly whittling them down over time.

That's not limited to the difficult ones, look at Disgraced (sit on the catwalk to avoid thrall while plinking the boss), or SABER (sit to the right side of the room behind a pylon for the first half of the fight, and on the left side in a nook for the second half of the fight) or Devil's Lair (Train wreckage for first room, Long range plinking for second room, left side tiny room for third). This is mostly because you don't have the ability to res people quickly, and being clipped by a Wizard Barrage while trapped in a fart cloud, or a SABER railgun shot ends your life without any real questions. You can't scrap it out, your best strategy is mitigation, and the most powerful way to do that is by abusing these blind spots.

However, the difference between the "easy" GMs and the difficult ones, in my opinion, come from enemy type and variance. The Psyops Moon GM is absurdly high variance because the ritual room has pseudorandomized infinite add spawns, multiple acolyte lightbearers (Blade barrage can target wildly different targets from who the acolyte is focusing on), and Savathun Stormtrance shuts off entire chunks of the map, seemingly at random. Compare that to the fixed spawns of SABER or Disgraced, or the funneling of Devil's Lair, that chaos can be more easily controlled.

I'm there for the rewards. If I run grandmasters, its for materials, exotics, or the weapon of the week. If the fireteam scrubs out, we get nothing. I don't like being forced to take a week off from efficient material farm because the NF is far, far less efficient or has a significant amount of variance. I will say that if you play your life on Hero and bring appropriate antichamp stuff, it's not too bad, but it's the difference betwen a 8-12 minute NF and a 22 minute NF for, at the beginning of the season, a high likelihood of getting two tokens and a blue (because plat rewards was bugged)

oh, and doing it on legend still gives ascendant shards - you're really only losing out on the adept osprey. It's just a difference between a 15 min GM for 2-4 shards vs a 40 min GM for the same reward.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 13, 2023

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The one enemy i truly respect and do not gently caress around with.
Absolutely. I find myself saying "use your utility" every time I run into Hive Acolyte or Knight Lightbearers. Suspend, freeze, super, heavy - whatever, they gotta go. Every time I ignore my own urging I get snagged by a suppressor grenade or blade barrage and die.

made me furiously annoyed this week. Like for a GM that would be fine as thats the top tier difficulty sure bust people's balls but like maybe tone that down one notch on the lever for "anyone can queue for this and we wont even check if they have anti-champ stuff"
From a friend that's been attempting it all week: "Dunk 1, hoard 3 then complete, melt the shrieker, rotate and melt both acolytes, then gather up another 8 (depositing one on the left ritual) and complete both rituals at once"

This despawns all champions, so this is more for completion, not for platinum rewards.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 14, 2023

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh, nice, Wicked Implement is getting Headstone as part of the catalyst too! Ultimate stasis synergy gun.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

haveblue posted:

You are a dead thing made by a dead power in the shape of the dead. All you will ever do is kill. You do not belong here. This is a place of life.
the end of the light and darkness saga is recognizing that, without a distinct other to fight, we are undying monsters, capable of incalculable cruelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like frenzy is very much a "you are not shooting target dummies" sort of perk - Focused Fury might be better on paper, but you can also gently caress it up. Frenzy is hard to gently caress up.

What about something like Frenzy vs. Swashbuckler, as on Mykel's Reverence? Frenzy feel like it's a bit more flexible then worrying about racking up melee kills.
It's more than just damage too, it buffs handling and reload speed as well. Just great for overall combat uptime and flow.

An additional benefit is that, if you've got multiple weapons with Frenzy, one weapon's frenzy activates other weapons frenzy as well. Can't share kill clip, swashbuckler, or B&S that way, to my knowledge.