Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Robert Zemeckis

Yeah, everything else he did pales in comparison to Beowulf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I agree that Zemeckis has a steep decline in later years after Cast Away, but I don't think it matches with Burton.

Polar Express was at least a major technical innovation, even if the technology's impact is debatable. Beowulf, Flight, and even Marwen have some defenders, and I think the consensus of Allied is that it's fine (I liked it), and all of those are pretty different from each other in terms of plot, tone, and actors. It's really just his last two movies that are unambiguous shits.

Contrast that to Burton where for the last fifteen or twenty years it feels like he's put out pretty much the exact same sort of movie with the exact same actors and exact same atmosphere and tone, and nothing really innovative or even unique among them. Plus he propped up Depp more than arguably anyone else and also pioneered the Disney live action remake trend, which are ethically and creatively worse than anything Zemeckis is guilty of IMO.

I think Burtons biggest problem is that his best movie (Ed Wood) flopped and his worst movie (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzAOV7uxw0) made like eleventy billion dollars, so now hes stuck like this forever

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sourdough Sam posted:

Big Eyes was pretty well regarded right? It's based on a true story about Walter Keane the "artist" being a fraud. No Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter or any garish CG to be found.

I liked it alright but I remember a lot of people trashing it. People, maybe correctly, criticized it because it focused on the dude being a fraud and not Margaret Keane. I get what they were saying but also it’s a movie and there needs to be some conflict, I think most people prefer biopics that center around one interesting event in someone’s life to a filmed bullet point list of accomplishments.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Escape from LA is better than Escape from NY.

you’re a wild one Hundu

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shageletic posted:

naked lady shooting lazers out of her hands as she flies past the crystal fortress of solitude

there's more stuff that happens too

Captain Picard kisses a dude

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It was funny to hear him on Joe Dante’s podcast a few years ago absolutely making GBS threads on a bunch of beloved classics. Not from any reasonable angle you usually hear either, like he was making GBS threads on those big panoramic scenes in Lawrence of Arabia because he thought camels are boring iirc.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 8, 2023

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I forget if it was that or Marc Maron's podcast where he was going on and on about why the protagonist using a bunch of racial slurs in French Connection was really vital and it was just showing the gritty truth. I know on the Dante podcast he was going on about Trump being pretty great and a smart guy and also denigrating Jackson Pollock with "anybody could do that."

Bad news for you about Friedkin's money...

Yeah he definitely was defensive about Trump in the Dante ep. The thing I remember most about the Maron ep was him going on about how real and moving the shroud of Turin was even though he said he wasn’t Catholic and was born into a Jewish family.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I love low budget direct to video schlock

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

. Uwe Boll's Auschwitz

Had no idea he made this lol. I don’t think I’d be able to sit through it now

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Does the new one at least have him have the mustache? The 2nd one ended with him recognising him keeping it is his internalising his ww1 trauma, which is frankly ridiculous, and then it ended with a stinger of him having it shaven off

I have no idea why they thought Poirot of all people needed to be a veteran with PTSD. The whole reason why he’s in Britain in the first book is because he’s fleeing the war. I’m not someone who freaks out about small deviations from source material but making him a wounded warrior who’s uncomfortable in his own skin is way out of character. That being said if they keep making them I’ll keep watching them because I’ll apparently watch any old mystery movie they put out.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m going to watch the Zelda movie the way I watched the cut scenes in TOTK, by skipping it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Hannibal was on free to air in the US? Hahah, gently caress. Like those gothic murder scenes. Like pretty sure that show was far gorier that hellriser.

Although wait are all those incredibly stupid NTIS, NTIC, what ever, gory detective shows on free to air? I guess they must be. Not... to much worse then that.

Swearing or nudity, oh no! Piles of skinned people filmed in excessive detail, all okay!

Correct, all the sinful flesh is removed so it’s kosher

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ccs posted:

Oh i just watched this movie a month ago, surprisingly entertaining for a WS Anderson movie. Wish they had gotten to go even weirder and Hellraiser-esque with it.

They actually did, there’s a big chunk of the hell stuff cut out and lost. There was some rumor about it being found years ago but nothing ever materialized

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Zaslav is a true believer in what he's used to- that is, reality TV. I think he's genuinely thrown that people are actually invested in scripted media and don't treat it like interchangeable slop, and that talent actually cares if what they spend months and years working on gets thrown down the drain for pennies.

The important thing is that he was rewarded for turning TLC into a 24 hour a day quiverfull cult pedo enabling channel by becoming one of the most powerful people in media. America is a meritocracy after all.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah what is up with The Rock, I feel like he’s fizzling

Maybe he’ll get desperate enough to try acting for once.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked Napoleon, gently caress the haters.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

live with fruit posted:

It's a little terrifying how many people are mad about this movie but it also highlights why this movie is so great.

Who knew there were so many bonapartists around

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i forgot good burger 2 was a thing. was it any good?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

From what I’ve heard, it’s total dogshit.

I saw it and it’s painful and bad. The only thing I can say for it is that it felt like it was by and for 11 year olds which is how I remember All That feeling like so maybe it was intentional. I watched it with my wife and she has a lot of nostalgia for the original but she didn’t like it either.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A Good Burger sequel sounds like the most depressing thing ever. Two middle aged guys stuck in the same job when they were teens. Abe Vigoda's bones gathering dust in the corner of the kitchen.

Well you see Kel’s character owns the company at this point and only flips burgers for the love of the game. Kenan’s character has lead a whole life as an important big shot but that blew up so he’s going back to Good Burger hat-in-hand.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dinosaurs! posted:

We’re all so old now that 2008 probably feels like yesterday, but he could do a current day roided up Alpha Male™ version of The Wrestler. That feels beneath Benny Safdie, though.

I haven’t watched a lot of The Rock’s movies, but I thought he was legit great in Pain & Gain. If this has a dark humor bent I think he could do pretty well.

I think it’s his only good movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

an oompa loompa tv show? why?

probably my decades long letter writing campaign

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the man knew that his career was hanging by a thread and said gently caress it I'll do a 2.5 hour long Hammer flick. Thank you Gore Verbinski.

It’s also surprisingly gross which is another plus.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

McGregor is an awful person and apparently an awful actor.

His beer sucks too

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Beetlejuice 2 is officially called Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and releasing September 6th

is he going hawaiian at all?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

Big Fish, for sure. I know people who defend Sweeney Todd even though it’s him throwing a bone to Carter and Depp, but I think they made it work. Dumbo’s a resentful curiosity, that Alice in Wonderland live action fiasco was like watching a diorama that loved to inflict violence against eyes, and… I didn’t hear awful things about Big Eyes? Someone I used to talk to indicated a lot of his past success was built on the foundation of collaborators he’s steadily alienated, but that sounds catty as hell. Here’s hoping Beetlejuice Beetlejuice will be more than I expect.

I’m a mild defender of Big Eyes, it’s an ok rainy sunday boring movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Competition reality TV is okay because there's at least an end goal. The ones where they just follow around rich people is gross human zoo poo poo.

What you don’t find cosmetic surgery consultations entertaining?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m starting to think that Spider-Man is the character most people care about in Spider-Man.

Spider man is a menace

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
There are two types of movies: cranks and manks. choose wisely

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I hate The Beatles

Whoa whoa settle down there Allen Sherman, people aren’t ready for truth bombs like this

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

An intelligent creator designed cars 130 years ago. The idea that cars evolved from simpler machines is heretical.

But is car Jesus coeternal with the creator? Or was he begotten by Him?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Like if you want to see Nielsen in a serious performance that's not for laughs, I'd recommend looking into Nuts. It was only a year before the first Naked Gun movie and probably his last serious role.

I recommend Day of the Animals, he fights a bear with his shirt off

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

Yeah, the Razzies aren’t grounded in a good-natured acknowledgement of how movies sometimes turn out badly, or even an effort to laugh when things go tits up. They’re tedious and hateful and frequently go after people who have a history of struggling with personal issues.

gently caress the Razzies, is what I’m saying.

They had the great timing to make a separate category for those straight to streaming cash-in movies Bruce Willis was doing right before news of his aphasia diagnosis came out.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

seriously what is this. why would you make Harold an adult instead of just, y'know, adapting the goddamn books

Maybe they shouldn’t make it at all?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I mean just basic stuff like there’s a scene where the character does a blood test on herself to illustrate the effect that quantum alien magic has on people’s cells. This illustration gets cellular biology wrong, and gets the mechanics of the movie’s own magic system wrong. So, like, is the character hallucinating at this point?

That’s not a useful ambiguity, because you’re now introducing this idea that random shots might be dreams - or telling your audience not to think too hard about what they’re shown. (Or both.) And, like, doing this scene required time and money. The cells under the microscope are a digital effect that artists had to work to create.

This isn’t fair, every science fiction movie I’ve ever seen that touches on cell bio, genetics or whatever is total gibberish. I mean what are we even talking about here.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m trying to think of a single bio terror sort of scifi movie that I’ve seen where the “science” isn’t totally silly magical nonsense and I can’t. Not even trying to defend Garland here because I don’t care that much but I’m not going to fault him for dropping in technical terms willy nilly because everyone does that.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 18, 2024

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't watched The Andromeda Strain.

Does Contagion count as sci-fi in a post-COVID world?

I know it gets praise but no, a movie about an infectious virus that is sensitive to very small changes in blood pH but would thrive in a nuclear explosion is not realistic. Actually I don’t think I ever saw the movie but I read the book, and I mostly only remember the Sterno addict twist so maybe I’m off base here

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's specifically a white blood cell and, unless I've been really misinformed, you wouldn't see any division outside a bone marrow sample or something.

Yeah you’re not wrong but like I was saying this kind of stuff is in literally everything and most of the time you don’t have magical reality bending alien energies at play so it’s a bit unfair to hold Annihilation up to this standard imo. I get way more annoyed at the way the entertainment industry depicts science as a profession than any specific pseudoscience they make up to fit a cool looking visual effect. I mean someone said Andromeda Strain was realistic and it depicts a bsl 4 lab equipped with anti-personnel lasers and a nuclear self destruct sequence.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sirotan posted:

No, I was listing it as an example of a film where the science depicted isn't "totally silly nonsense". I'm not sayin The Andromeda Strain is a completely realistic movie. Also you ignored my other suggestion which is even more realistic in its portrayal.

Also I dunno what else to tell you other than turn off your brain. I work in cybersecurity and I am not gonna go on a rant about how unrealistic my profession is depicted in media, lol.

Not specifically criticizing you or Andromeda Strain, sorry it probably sounds that way. I was just saying it’s not fair to criticize Annihilation for silly science crap because it’s so common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Monica Bellucci posted:

Areola is just another word for halo.

That’s simply all it is, nothing at all weird about Areola the Warrior Nun