Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Shame Boy posted:

y'know i hate when anyone uses the term 'waifu' but i hate it when dumpy middle-aged dudes use it the most i think

what about when i became actual waifu radia for a few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Roosevelt posted:

did u get dumped already for another more titillating waifu?

no I didn’t want the joke to get old

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

and he was right

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

absolutely loving not, old rich fat tech rear end in a top hat celebrity expressing halfbaked opinions on tv (what even is the point being made here?). certainly not about to cheerlead.

it's ok. it won't affect anything if youj laugh and enjoy it. it wont make the AI ghosts come get you or me or anyone. it is just a funny thing. that's all. 0 stakes

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

we wont make fun of u for laughing and enjoying it. really.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

4lokos basilisk posted:

isn't the american problem more like needing to cover sprawling areas where you pretty much plop down more bus routes and more buses because the density for subway or light rail just does not exist

density exists in select places but there's no will from city governments to invest in real infrastructure, let alone just infrastructure maintenance, in said areas.

the suburban sprawl is its own issue but funding for that can come from the state which makes it more palatable for some

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Shaggar posted:

oh sorry i thought we were making jokes cause you recommended bicycles as transportation

gently caress lol

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a convincing breakdown on why subways in America were so comparatively expensive.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

It’s kind of absurd how many problems here boil down to “we are afraid of giving people money”. just loving relocate folks and build your poo poo. make sure they can afford it. ffs what a dumb country

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

inspirational heroes are still out there...

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

allen iverson hasn't been in the league in 15 years foo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

wendy's spicy chicken sandwich is the best available. the disappointment the first time i tried chik-fil-a and realized it was just homophobia propping it up was demoralizing. i just wanted spicy chicken nirvana

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I understand this is the wrong answer and the woke moralists will cancel me

but red lobster biscuits are the best biscuits of all time. of all time

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

when i was a starving homeless teen i would eat the pillsbury things out of the can. u cant judge me only God can judge me

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Midjack posted:

they're okay but i won't call them "biscuits"

spoons are for cowards

oh yeah to be clear it was Bread Jello. not a biscuit

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

so here's my whole thing

i think that buttermilk biscuits are fine. but really it's red lobster biscuits, or an english muffin toasted in ur air toaster is probably better

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Achmed Jones posted:

*eating biscuits and gravy in orange county* i guess i dont like southern food!

aight hold up lol

biscuits and gravy isnt that hard. sausage gravy is the "hard" part.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

taking a hard turn as i realize all of us could mean very different tasting gravies in our biscuits and sausage gravy and there may be No Way to Know

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

infernal machines posted:

fyad serves as a check against the worst impulses of the rest of the forums. it just also reads like 2003 era SA. if you don't go there, or SAD, you probably wouldn't even know it exists for all they interact with the rest of the forums

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

FYAD is the immune system of SA, YOSPOS is the retirement home

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

akadajet posted:

it’s purpose was being a place lowtax could post gross anime and the n word. it has no purpose anymore

well it also was what drove lowtax out. maybe it will protect us from future low taxes

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Internet Janitor posted:

an artifact was recovered from deep space

nestled within unrecognizable wreckage of exotic materials was a simple thin disc plated with gold

a long, thin spiral groove was carved into the disc's surface

microscopic variations in the geometry of the groove encoded an elaborate payload of information

a message, and system of messages

this was once a powerful culture

this was their legacy, left to us

after careful scanning, this pattern was reproduced as vibrations in atmosphere

the disc's ancient, alien voice intoned incomprehensible words that nonetheless managed to convey a palpable sense of dread and disgust:

"CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE THE TEN MILLIONTH VISITOR TO THIS SITE! CLICK HERE NOW TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ADINSX posted:

The team that sent the pissy rto email intentionally excluded our managers and skips, and I’m a relatively senior guy here (L6 in Amazon speak). We got the email directly and they were notified after. It caused a huge stir and my manager said that was a miscalculation on their part but I think they knew exactly what they were doing: they were signaling that your manager can’t save you from this, you have to come in.

When they had those layoffs months ago those people were not selected by their managers, the names were handed down from on high. So the idea that Amazon has some list of people they’re gonna fire based on attendance with no direct manager oversight is a real concern to me

im being told to loving move or find a new job lol so im right there with ya buddy

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Internet Janitor posted:

i use duckduckgo as my primary search engine, which is also bing, and at this point google's results have gotten so lovely there isn't even a discernible difference anymore

GIS is better than bing/ddg image search though (for now), but boy would i love to banish pinterest to the depths of hell

yeah it's remarkable how quickly duck duck go got parity with google by google declining in quality

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

haveblue posted:

even on things women do not directly buy, you have "wife acceptance factor" which we should probably rename in 2023

wet rear end factor

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

we're a ways away from wet bulb temperatures outside of already relatively uninhabitable/scarcely inhabitable areas

however, i openly look forward to Detroit's resurgence as America's Constantinople

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

that one had a racial component i thought?

the whole teacher belittling the student with prescriptivism over an incident of common use in a college classroom, did i imagine that?

it’s more widely generic slang but it’s somewhat racial yeah. like a lot of American poo poo it’s impossible to decouple the classism from the racism here

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

ive started it a few times

lol

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

lord fifth posted:

so im hearing reports that this year the grace hopper conference, meant to celebrate women and nonbinary people in tech, is somehow full of undergraduate men who are pushing, shoving, cutting in line, etc to get the chance to speak to recruiters. there are videos of hordes of very male presenting dudes waving resumes at recruiters, not a woman in sight

probably doesnt mean anything about the state of the tech industry :allears:

i couldnt attend this year because it's in a state trying to kill me. so this isn't super surprising to read

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i think they said they're moving it next year, so i'll try to attend that one if they do.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

google says orlando but i didn't actually verify that :shrug:

anyway the cities are still mostly Fine for now if you ever do have to come visit but i totally understand wanting to stay as far the gently caress away as possible

it's partly the principal. also when i hear people say the cities are still Fine it's ended up that the hate crime doers were just more subtle. idk it's fine not your fault, but Florida is probably the worst state in the country by far

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

principle? who cares. eat arby's

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

sat on my keys! posted:

as a Woman in tech ive found you'll have a much easier time if you accept that most institutional DEI stuff is about appearing to Do Something and getting the people who are already underrepped to do a bunch of extra, uncompensated labor.

yeah it owns lol. in a previous org i tried to get mine to Do Stuff and they basically told us we needed to create documentation to better help employees influence local politicians. it was great and very cool. then they announced that the company did this great work providing that documentation

now im mad. gonna get another coffee.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Sagebrush posted:

Well it depends. Are we above or below the Arctic circle?

lol. be careful, you'll summon her...

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

smoka could be an rear end in a top hat but she had a good unique perspective on a lot of stuff too

well. that's my story

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

The Fool posted:

she drove elle off for months

yes this was awful and bad :smith:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

haveblue posted:

new york also has a steam distribution system, when it springs a leak you get one of those iconic orange and white exhaust pipes in the middle of the street blocking traffic

detroit has this too! it's been going away slowly over the last couple decades but downtown still gets the iconic steam plumes too

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

haveblue posted:

what's the problem, we've got more than enough hogs

feels like there's a lot more cops than that

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

nuclear power is bad dumb and unsafe and I’m glad it has failed. topic locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

sure, and if people were treating them equally that'd be fine, but there's this overriding trend of "nuclear will save us and anyone who disagrees for any reason is just an uninformed idiot who's afraid of radiation" among nerds that really gets my goat, idk

me too. It mostly just makes people mad when I say it, which only increases my own energy supply