Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Get your popcorn ready"

- Terrel Owens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've spent many hours reading this thread (history in real time after all), and am super impressed with the real time updates, videos, links, and topical analysis. Incredibly informative.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

buddy we've been dead all along

The secret to Bushido

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mikojan posted:

what about the tiktok brigade?

They just rolled up for a chance to look tough and then just thumbed their phones for a few hours on the sideline?

Made some sick new videos

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fumble posted:

Thanos got all 5 stones but was too limp to snap.

Should have gone for the head.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

the only real communist country is star trek

Not at Quark's.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

My impression is that it's mostly to play tough guy back at home. Sweden isn't getting invaded because Finland is in the way, EU has a mutual defense clause, and Uncle Sam would immediately jump in regardless. So yeah I don't think they have any leverage here to get any actual concessions but Erdo/Orban can go talk about how they're standing up to "the west".

That made some sense before the elections, but Erdogan won. What's he got to play tough guy for this now? For more $$$$?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Down the memory hole. Pooty Tang really trying to use that reality stone.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

These daily Ukraine gaines sounds like if Twitter existed during WW1.

"Regained Trench AB-3 after heavy fighting, 30 yards of territory under control"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grape posted:

Priggy's coup in retrospect feels very Burn After Reading.

"Accidental almost coup to make an awkward statement" is definitely a Coen plot anyway.

So what did we learn Palmer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VjPM5CeWs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tai posted:

Russia and tankies love her lol. Going to lol when it turns out she pulls a Nigel Farage and gets busted for getting paid by Russians

And she'll feel no shame and it won't impact her chances of re-election.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mr Lanternfly posted:

They look like 90's action figures.

COBRA Command!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

https://twitter.com/jensstoltenberg/status/1678484703060324359

Seems like Erdogan finally remembered on which team he is supposed to play in, after meetings today with EU representatives about restarting the Turkey's admission process to EU.

Good news, but the article I read in WaPo stated that Erdogan said he'd support Swedish entry last year too, so....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"reformatting of Ukraine"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

TBH it's outrageous that the vatican is allowed to have sovereignty. What about the priceless historical records that are too embarrassing to the church to release??

It's a sweet little country though. I went to go see the Pope speak on a Sunday in Peter's Square. Packed. Tons of fans with different Saint flags and stuff, like a big sporting event. Songs. Food vendor carts on the outskirts of the big crowd. Great way to run a country IMO.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

is austria like a german belarus? the only thing i know about austria is that its where the terminator is from and apparently their accent sounds sweet

Austria is to Germany as New Jersey is to New York.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Who is new jerseys hitler?

Trump

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CRAB MEN CRAB MEN

*PINCE PINCE PINCE

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bad_fmr posted:

I think you mean sphincter maneuver.

Turtle up Lads

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I hope it's true and the end of the war. Who cares what gangster is actually in power if they withdraw from all of Ukraine.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Runa posted:

To be quite honest I don't care what excuses Russia puts up if, at the end of the day, they all decided to pack up and leave Ukraine, including Crimea.

Peace should be the ultimate goal and, as the aggressors, Russia has the power to end the war at any time.

Let Russia declare victory and roll back to their own borders claiming they've secured the country from NAZIS.

As long as they actually get the gently caress out.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Proton, Neutron, Zelensky

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EorayMel posted:

You'd think more communists would be all for an impoverished agricultural society banding together to rebuke a much larger capitalist power that wants to eradicate what it cannot abuse in the name of Number Go Up but alas...

Do Communists even try and pretend Russia represents them these days?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Ukraine and Ukrainians, being non-Americans, naturally have no agency, goals, or desires of their own and only react to the actions of America.

All Praise to The Empire!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Armies that have mobile crematoriums rolling behind the main forces are definitely forces for good.

"Mobile Crematoriums" is a good name for something.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

Have you not read the classic novel On the Forum? All it will do is buy us another few months

We need to move operations to the ISS

All that will do is buy us a few months...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

As a Cold War kid it's amazing to watch Russia get destroyed, and all we as Americans need to do is approve the next weapons or aid transfer. It's great!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

beer_war posted:

I would never stop laughing. Any Western European country would do, really.

Imagine not that long ago being the richest, most important person in the world. You could go anywhere, do anything.

Now, however.....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

We have been, its hard when they're a deathcult religion fueled by contrarian spite that would have another go at couping the government if they got the chance again. Instead of basement tankies if their parents who actually do have money and actually both vote and wave guns around in public at people and are not arrested for it.

Indeed. Just that little hard truth. Sorry Europe, Ukraine.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gently caress that bridge

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mortimer Knag posted:

I get being against war and whatever, I get wanting America to take care of it's people instead of spending 99% of it's money on new weapons, but like, the weapons are already built, the ones that aren't built yet will still continue to be built no matter who's invading who. You can't feed the weapons to people, so what do these pro-russian "leftists" want? They want America to just horde it's pile of exploders like another form of currency? That doesn't seem very left-leaning... Stopping an invading country from genociding another country seems like the best moral use of these weapons possible to me

Are you trying to understand right wing opposition to supporting Ukraine?

If so, it can be boiled down to two points: The Liberals are for it, so Republicans MUST be against it. Second, Republicans are owned by Russia, so of course they would oppose this glorious destruction of their patron.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

brushwad posted:

It looks like "One Crazy Summer" starring John Cusack, directed by "Savage" Steve Holland.

Part of the "Better off Dead" trilogy! That only had two movies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The_Franz posted:

Sure there are, but Putin doesn't care about any of them like his beloved Kerch bridge. It's the one grand work Putin has to show for his presidency, especially after the rest of the world spent the entirety of the olympics and world cup laughing at how Sochi was a cesspit of tarps, dogs, weird toilets, corruption, and misery.

Remember Bob Costas Pinkeye?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

This is the season of Russians migrating to Crimea

It was preemptive

They'd already been doing that for years. I doubt this year (or last) has increased it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

William Bear posted:

I am now imagining a post by Zelensky on /r/personalfinance asking if it was smart of him to buy an Abrams tank for $0 down, 72 month term, 21% APR. He's getting an $8.9 million tank for only $218k a month!

If you can afford debt, it's smart.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

gotta paint confederate flags on top of every car in case they need to jump the ramp, i supposei

THEM DUKE BOYS!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

That's the strangest part of war in 2023. Instant live updates from the battlefield, often issued by the combatants...
I imagine landsknechts would have incredible posting energy, had they been exposed to social media.

WW1 Threads

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Crimean Beach Party 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ded posted:

come for the beach, stay because you got conscripted

It's the Summer to Remember!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Not right away, but what do we do when Russia starts lobbing missiles at apartment blocks on NATO soil? It's a scenario where neither side can afford to not escalate.

Well that's a pretty big line to cross.