Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Xaris posted:

reality is business, and people are cooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
double digits already. rofl

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Horseshoe theory posted:

CATO wife man is right that most of them are grifts themselves (i.e, The Worst Person You Know).

glad to report that Cato wife nato life came from this thread's lineage

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Has anyone said CATO wife, NATO life yet? I don't want to be repeating anyone, so please let me know if someone has said it already. Otherwise I am going to

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Glumwheels posted:

I can’t help but think Peter thiel caused this mess for a specific reason, he did cash out Wednesday and started the bank run

Then all his cronies and PayPal scumbags started shrieking about bailouts

can't thtop the thiel!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
cosmic crisp etc. are controlled by the Monsanto of apples
WSU Sues Yakima Grower Over Alleged Apple Patent Infringement - Northwest Public Broadcasting

www.nwpb.org posted:

Washington State University has filed a lawsuit in federal court against a Yakima grower for allegedly infringing on its patent of an apple.

The apple in question is WA 2, known to consumers as Sunrise Magic. WSU claims that Yakima apple grower Pro Orchard Management and affiliated packer Apple King infringed on the patent by growing and selling Sunrise Magic without a license. The university also claims both companies provided budwood to unlicensed persons who asexually reproduced Sunrise Magic apple trees.

WSU began its apple-breeding program in 1994 to grow apples unique to Washington. In 2011, Sunrise Magic was the first apple made available to Washington growers through license agreements.

Representatives for both WSU and the apple growers declined requests for comment.

This isn’t the first time WSU has sued to protect its apple patents. In 2018, the university sued biotech company Phytelligence for allegedly infringing on its patent of WA 38, better known as Cosmic Crisp, which was unveiled to consumers last December.

Phytelligence had previously sued WSU for allegedly blocking it from licensing the new variety. The company is appealing that case in federal court.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

nexous posted:

wait what did they do to honeycrisp. still delicious when they are in season

they're genetically engineered to have massive cells filled with hfcs

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Vox Nihili posted:

Actually I'm not done with this post yet. Describing regular cultivar breeding as "genetic engineering" is also dumbass bullshit. Thats just basic agriculture.

were you genetically engineered to post this way?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Maed posted:

all types of selective breeding are genetic engineering, just slower and more haphazard, it’s why being scared of GMOs is so dumb

tired of this monoculture war bullshit

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

noo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
crips pink

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
you know what's really hosed up? they didn't genetically engineer the grapple to be half Apple half grape... they just soaked it in grape soda flavoring

quote:

Grāpple (/ˈɡreɪpəl/ GRAYP-əl) is the registered brand name for a commercially marketed brand of Fuji or Gala apple that has been soaked in a solution of concentrated grape flavor (methyl anthranilate) and water in order to make the flesh taste like a Concord grape.

also it's hosed up they pronounce it "grape-le" and not "grapple." wtf

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

you ever try those cotton candy grapes?

those are a real mindfuck

just once a long time ago. they were good, not a big grape fan but i should get some more.

there are some sweet mini cucumbers that are so good btw. love cucumbers but not the massive American/emglush ones

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

Peeps or those circus peanut eggs and bunnies

they made a peeps Pepsi this year ... they didn't call it "Peepsi"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Crispr yourself into the sonic nightmare you long to be

Cosmic CRISPR

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
lol web3
Actions that define CEO leadership in 2023 | McKinsey

www.mckinsey.com posted:

In his 2017 book, Hit Refresh, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella writes that great leaders “recognize the true signal within a lot of noise” and act accordingly. Fast forward to 2023, and the torrent of trends, ideas, and information that leaders now face makes knowing what matters more difficult than ever.

It’s against this backdrop that McKinsey conducted its latest CEO Excellence Survey, to take the pulse of leading CEOs’ evolving priorities and the actions they’re taking in response. We started by asking a group of the world’s top-performing CEOs (see sidebar, “Survey methodology”) which trends will have the biggest impact on how they lead their business in 2023 compared with past years. Their answers suggest that three “true signals” matter most: digital disruption, the economy, and geopolitics (exhibit).

Second, we asked about the specific and pragmatic actions they are taking as a result of these signals. Here we found that a consistent mix of defensive (protecting against risks) and offensive (capturing new opportunities) maneuvers create a powerful playbook for leaders in 2023, the details of which we discuss in this article.
. . .

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Grapplejack posted:

This is insane to me because cooking is literally chemistry it's almost a 1:1, you have to be legendarily bad to know how all this works and gently caress it up

you have to know what tastes good, what things go well together, how to discern ingredient quality, where you can experiment a little and where you probably shouldn't, and the reasons for all the above

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Mustached Demon posted:

that's exactly chemistry though

you aren't going to learn how to choose a good tomato or why like 90% of good food starts with chopping an onion from Walter White

it's culture not stem!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
music is just physics

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

V. Illych L. posted:

i also wear a watch

it's a handy way to check the time without being hypnotised by the demon box that is my smart phone

the measure of time is a capitalist pastime and possibly heretical.

quote:

quote:

Keep up a high esteem of time and be every day more careful that you lose none of your time, than you are that you lose none of your gold and silver. And if vain recreation, dressings, feastings, idle talk, unprofitable company, or sleep be any of them temptations to rob you of any of your time, accordingly heighten your watchfulness.
“Those that are prodigal of their time despise their own souls” says Matthew Henry (“Worth of the Soul,” Works of the Puritan Divines, p. 315). Protestant asceticism is moving also here in its old tried and proven pathway. Today we are accustomed to observe that the modern professional “has no time” and to measure (as did even Goethe in his Wilhelm Meister’s Years of Travel) the degree of capitalist development according to whether the clocks strike every quarter hour (as Sombart notes in his Der moderne Kapitalismus)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Consummate Professional posted:

hopefully they’ll let you donate PTO too

Nothus posted:

Sicko poo poo. And I thought my wife's employers PTO pool was disgusting

the notion of fungible PTO that you can donate or exchange, that you are allowed or even encourage to donate to a coworker who has run down their own days due to illness, is incredible

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Stereotype posted:

it's shocking when you try to find something on the internet that you know exists and it is unfindable. Google, who has a monopoly on indexing, long ago decided that the internet belongs to those who can play their opaque and entirely financially driven algorithmic game. legitimately interesting content that was intentionally left un-monetized is gone, forever. real knowledge and information is so completely obscured by an impenetrable fog of identical easily digestable factoids that it is deemed empirically incorrect in the eyes of those newly exploring the topic. we live in an eternal September except for truth itself.

it sucks so much. the tail end of it sucked up all the other culture, so like the used bookstores and record shops forced out of business aren't there to pick up the slack. archive everything you can, content is gonna be poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Shipon posted:

if you dont' want to live near other people you are deeply antisocial and society shouldn't indulge you

*seizes native land*

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Lpzie posted:

working hard, saving up money again. eating as little as possible, very frugal. motivated by the thought that every meal i skip is more money i can dump overseas..... 12 months to go!

stay hungry, stay foolish

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
China wants to take deflation home

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

FistEnergy posted:

bbby just cancelled their next shareholder meeting and got the nasdaq delisting notice, almost simultaneously

Towel Boys in shambles, another big box chain is dead

outlived by Jimmy Carter, who was governor of Georgia when bed bath was founded

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

HallelujahLee posted:

what in the world

#firstworldproblems

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

actionjackson posted:

$70 is insanely cheap when you consider how much time people put into these games. gamers just love to loving bitch and whine about everything becaus they are small children

why should you have to pay more to some bad company cause you play the game for 100 hours? you're not getting expensive hardware cartridges or thick manuals. the games are buggy and fixed well after release if ever. it's not like the higher price is helping the hardworking gamecrafters.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

that's very generous, and a very rare case. what happens most of the time is that people play the game for a few hours, think "ok this is fun and has promise, i'll wait until they add more content and polish" and it never happens

yeah I stopped gaming because of this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A3W-r9IobwI

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Spaced God posted:

At least they didn't argue the hours played/price ratio like other gamers so that got us these 90 hour bloated grindathon experiences

that's what I thought "how much time people put into these games" meant but it could be read several ways

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
they say a "mohamed data" will someday arise to topple the false idol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
lol how much faster can they run the country into the ground https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1664625114850242561

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
playtime never stops in Houston
Houston leads nation in dogs biting letter carriers | Federal News Network

federalnewsnetwork.com posted:

• Postal Service data shows employee dog-bite incidents are on the decline. USPS is reporting that 5,300 employees were attacked by dogs in 2022 while delivering the mail last year. That is about 100 fewer incidents than the year prior. With 57 cases, Houston is once again the city with the most USPS employees being bit by dogs. Los Angeles and Dallas are also dog bite hotspots. USPS said California was the state with the most USPS dog-bite incidents, with 675. The agency tells households to keep dogs inside the house, away from the door or on a leash when letter carriers are on their routes. (U.S. Postal Service releases dog bite national rankings - USPS)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Trial run for the rest of the country.

https://twitter.com/RedistrictNet/status/1665054036637233154

Soon they will get votes proportional to how many employees they have on payroll.

it costs like $90 to register an LLC in Delaware.

quote:

This bill would allow the City of Seaford to authorize artificial entities, limited liability corporations' partnerships, and trusts to vote in Municipal elections held in Seaford following the principle of "one person/entity/one vote".
so you can tip the scales enough to win a mayoral election for under $10,000. lol

Letter to the Editor: More voters for Seaford doesn’t mean more are voting (2022)

baytobaynews.com posted:

Seaford needs to increase very poor municipal elections’ voter turnout. As previously emphasized, thanks to the actions of the mayor and City Council, the number of registered voters for Seaford elections jumped dramatically by approximately 3,500 from 2020 to 2022.
However, the increased number of registered voters did not result in more voters. Only about 600 voters showed up for both elections.

There were 594 voters who determined the outcome of the 2020 election for mayor, with the winner garnering 47 votes more than his opponent. For some, especially those retaining power, the 2020 municipal election was likely deemed a “success.”

However, when such “success” is measured against the number of citizens who could/should have been eligible to vote if the Delaware registration system had been in use, the 2020 election was a virtual disaster. Only a pitiful 11.9% of the approximately 5,000 potentially eligible to vote in Seaford went to the polls in May 2020.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
pre:
        F
         L         
          O
R I C H A R D
          I  A

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

this happens every time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

genericnick posted:

I'm still completely puzzled why all the VR trailers always have some dumb nerds looking like dorks in the vr gear. Sure, it's a challenge to show what your game would be like on a screen, but there must be a better way.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

that thumb is the tether you plug in

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

this mf paid for twitter

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

i am harry posted:

jesus gently caress, if you haven’t already, I implore you to get to know your immediate neighbors and cultivate relationships with them if possible asap…community is all we have in this hellworld - mine was struggling with unhitching his trailer, and I went out there to give him a hand…figured out the problem and managed to sort it, then we sat down on his porch to smoke a j and he started having a loving stroke right in front of me…

I live in a big apartment since February and have never seen my neighbors op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Vox Nihili posted:

The Reddit CEO is doing an AMA about how, specifically, they plan to self-immolate: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddit/comments/145bram/addressing_the_community_about_changes_to_our_api/
this sounds familiar:

quote:

Welp, lord u/spez is too tired to reply right now, maybe you can try again in the next AMA scheduled to a decade?