Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Since its a state school those are MY apple patents and I support ruthlessly enforcing my IP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

hungry for apples rear end slogan

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Zantie posted:

I work at WSU. Funds from the sales of Cosmic Crisp apples helped pay for a portion of our new science building!

did the apple get naming rights

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The bank run never would have happened over Teams. Slack needs to be shut down.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Citi?! Is my Costco credit card safe???

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Jon Irenicus posted:

the mall about ten minutes away has officially become Teen Fight Club where all of the poorly behaved students go to gently caress around on the weekend and routinely get in fights. one kid even got stabbed. thus the mall is trying to crack down and literally ban unaccompanied minors

20 years ago or so the Mayfair Mall outside Milwaukee instituted either youth need to be accompanied by an adult at all times or possibly later in the day due to "riots" by inner city kids. This mall was juuuuuust outside the city of Milwaukee but at the end of many bus routes and had a big movie theater in it. Coincidentally, a mall further out in the suburbs put their foot down about buses.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

actionjackson posted:

my dad worked for both duetsche bank and UBS in the 90s as a computer toucher lol

he worked on some moon language system called Open VMS that was used mainly in the financial sector

we have some sort of small scanner in one of our labs that we just spent several hundred thousand dollars on upgrading that uses Open VMS.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Off-duty cop rear-ends man stopped at traffic light, kills him - 08/22/2022
https://www.wtae.com/article/driver-involved-in-westmoreland-county-crash-that-killed-pitcairn-man-is-a-pennsylvania-state-trooper/40953118

Family of man rear-ended and killed by off-duty cop wonders why nothing has been done - 03/14/2023
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/family-pitcairn-man-hit-killed-031330093.html

https://publicola.com/2023/03/09/ca...estrian-nearby/

Recently in Seattle a cop ran over and killed a pedestrian while responding to a "priority 1 call." The weeks following the death had the cops and fire department covering each others asses as they went around in circles claiming the cop was responding to a call for assistance on a drug overdose and heavily implying it was an opioid overdose. The fire department backed them up by saying they often need cops to deal with unruly homeless people being resuscitated but it turns out the call was because some downtown resident took too much coke or speed and was freaking out thinking they were having a heart attack or something. Still no dashcam video released.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

is pepsi ok posted:

I did this and I'm honestly kinda underwhelmed compared to torrents. The only real benefit has been that my ISP no longer sends me vaguely threatening letters when they catch me pirating something.

Maybe the search engine I use just sucks. I went with NZBGeek and while it's great for any recently released TV show or movie it sucks for anything else and if it's something that was posted more than 3 years ago it's like 50/50 whether it will actually complete the download.

If your download fails it isn't because of your NZB indexer, it's because whatever usenet service you use doesn't have it. Real usenet-heads will sometimes have multiple usenet providers to improve reliability.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

When I bought my house last year we had a mobile notary come to the house for the signing and they made some off hand comment on how many houses in Jacksonville they were doing closings on. We're in the PNW.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/where-wa-schoolchildren-walk-next-to-busy-traffic/

quote:

The district proposed building a shortcut using the perimeter of the 37-acre dog park, and to include fencing and a segment through the parking lot. But the city of SeaTac opposed that path, after hearing from Dogs of Grandview Supporters, a nonprofit that maintains the dog park.

“It would not be suitable under ANY conditions to build a school walk trail in the park” for the safety of students as well for dogs, Elynn Miller Clayton, president of DOGS, said by email. “They taunt the dogs, throw rocks at dogs and park users, prop the gates open so dogs can escape.” Students have dropped candy toxic to dogs, or stuck their fingers through fences, she said. Vinson, whose home is near the park entrance, said children have pestered dogs.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

fits my needs posted:

better to be a dog, than a child it seems, lmao

quote:

especially in serving the Grandview Apartments, a large affordable housing complex just over a half-mile south of campus.

Seems like everybody is on the wrong side of the tracks one way or another

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Father Wendigo posted:

Isn't selling estate property at a discount considered tax fraud?

??????? who the gently caress decides this? "As u can see ur honor the Zestimate™️ is 20% over what the buyer paid"

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

whew!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Literally my mom has asked me twice in the last two weeks if she should worry about her money because she keeps seeing "banks are safe" headlines everywhere.

nobody trusts the media anymore smh

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

considering how much of a tax base they are for city revenue, look to 1970s NYC

can I get an infographic on this

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

skooma512 posted:

Landlords in general are just parasitic drag on the whole economy. Business mostly rent their spaces and then they have to keep up with the rentier's demands for more money for absolutely no value-add, meaning they pass those costs on and go out of business because folks don't want to or can't pay the higher prices.

triple net commercial leases really broke my brain

zetamind2000 posted:

The city will pay the landlords if that program in san francisco is any indication

Seattle is about to start doing the same thing to try to reactivate downtown

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ChatGPT is the new twitter CEO

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

He's right, food in Japan kicks rear end and is cheap as hell, particularly if you are spending dollars. We went when it was around 140 yen per dollar and ate like kings. Pretty much every restaurant is like 3 tiers better than the equivalently priced establishment in the US. One of the first things you learn abroad is how much we overpay for our awful garbage food in America.

god drat minimum wage laws!!!!!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Beached Whale posted:

West coast chuds moving to Texas realizing freedom isn't so free

https://twitter.com/profplum99/status/1658453438114545664

lol how can your property taxes go up 15k in a year? Did they just not pay property taxes in 2021 so their escrow didn't collect any for 2022?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Knight posted:

It was interesting being at one friend's house where their toddler watches Nick JR and sees advertising focused on children and families (toys, diapers, snacks, vehicles with child safety features), where another friend lets their toddler watch absolute garbage on Youtube and the ads are for insurance, makeup, and pharmaceuticals. Still, they would both go into a panic when commercials started.

Web advertising is sold as being so refined but it's just spam with a cheaper price structure

sad they're willing to sacrifice their childs future rather than pay for Youtube Premium

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

i am harry posted:

who needs dinner when you’ve got evening cereal

the fourth mealification of cereal

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I get Max for "free" through my cell phone plan so it's the streaming service I use most often, and seeing the amount of Reality content being pushed since the switch from HBO Max to Max is pretty disheartening

I had discovery plus for a few months a year or two ago but I elected to pay the extra like 5 dollars or something for ad free. It became immediately evident that these reality tv shows are just re-cutting poo poo that happened earlier in the episode after an ad break but the ads sort of break it up in your brain so you don't notice as much.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

holefoods posted:

I almost wonder if they didn’t announce this so far in advance so they can use the backlash as an excuse to can it

You can't just can One More Thing!!!!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

err posted:

i watched some homeless cleanup recently and it's crazy

15 city workers standing around watching 1 worker go through blankets and picking up trash with a grabber while getting yelled at by the people living there. and they do spot cleaning so the people living there just walk 50 feet away and set up their stuff just outside of the area and move back after they leave

it's totally ineffective

If some of those 15 city workers aren't cops they will be soon

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Glumwheels posted:

Were coolers always so expensive? I don’t remember them being so expensive and now even at Costco they sell coolers for well over $100. I always blamed it on loving Yeti driving up the prices because once other brands saw idiots paying so much they decided they could do it too.

Rotomolded coolers are all pretty expensive. If you want a lovely Igloo cooler Walmart has you covered.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol wirecutter's (peak yeti customer demo) recommended cooler is an $80 coleman, yetiheads losing their minds over this

I got this cooler because of the Wirecutter and its fine. I should have bought the one from costco that has wheels and a handle. Biggest pet peeve is the lid doesn't fully close without pressing it down which would normally not be an issue except I often camp with children who can't be loving bothered after rooting through it for no loving reason.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1668634451088392193

lol

if they'd just make the strike indefinite it could do some real damage to the internet

the cached google version works great AND it probably doesn't give reddit page views if that's what you're after.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

isn't that most coolers?

I guess not since the aforementioned costco cooler does

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

triple sulk posted:

it took me a few weeks of poking around with the openai apis to just realize that aside from all the made up info and legal issues, it's not economically feasible for anyone

at this rate it'll all be dead in the water by the end of the year, maybe a little longer

Amazon CEO is making every department include some AI bullshit in their yearly planning documents lol

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I was talking to my mom the other day and apparently this great garden and pet store near her closed and it got turned into a loving brew pub but this is Wisconsin so everything turning into a bar isn't that surprising.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

triple sulk posted:

if you ever see a cart like this, you must get food from it

Seattle requires food trucks to do all their prep in a commissary kitchen, must be within a hundred feet of an accessible bathroom, and cannot be within some limited distance to existing restaurants. As a result they are no cheaper than anything else

Over the course of about four years, every McDonald's downtown here closed over "crime" (visible poors)

The last one that closed had the building taken over by a bank branch within weeks

This reminds me of when a beloved local record store location was closed 10 years ago and they put a Chase in it. That Chase location is now closed.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Car Hater posted:

Brb getting my own tapioca warmer and plastic lid sealer to make boba tea at home

Costco sells a kit

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Xaris posted:

it's not a rule, infact, drive-thru orders are prioritzed but they're on a very limited throughput on how fast drive-thru can move so there's a lot of capacity for dine-in orders to just get whipped up quicker than waiting in a 90 minute line full of ford f950 freedom rancher 9/11 edition trucks and Excursion LTE HDR 4K MAXX SUVs

most FF places were set up with an ideal mix of heavy dine-in rate based on table-space and turnover rates, with a known through-put in the drive-thru of 0.5/minute kinda thing, and that used to be case but americans have gotten lazier so a lot of the kitchen capacity for dine-in aren't being used so it becomes quicker to do that. the way most places handle increased drive-thru demand but stale dine-in demand is just understaff the kitchen/cashiers because it's not needed

what absolutely gets my goat is when I'm at Jimmy Johns getting my lovely sub and I place my order and have to wait 20 minutes for them to finish a large phone or catering order because they only staff enough people to cover one line.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

net work error posted:

Sounds like there's 0 freaking going on at the fast

You joke but I grew up in Milwaukee and we've always had JJs and when I was in my drunk 20s the couple of locations we had would be open late and those guys could make and wrap a sub before you finished paying. You had to be ready for them to chuck it at you.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

We have our own ToS with them that doesn't allow this :smug:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Xaris posted:

correct. can’t believe goons are so oblivious to shareholders that I’ve had to repeat this like 50x already

zoom is doing bad profit wise so they’re doing desperate attempts to cut heads and pivot toward ai data whatever. everyone is using Teams now

Amazons next step in this process is going to be forcing teams to be in the same office rather than letting you use the nearest office to you. Fingers crossed my wifes office isn't suddenly in LA!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The average new car payment is ~$725 a month and public transit / car-free options are worse now than they were twenty years ago. The majority of Americans consider living without a car to be utterly unthinkable, something only the poorest of the poor do, and they certainly aren't poor so they'll keep paying 30% of their net income on their car.

transit in seattle is worse than it was 4 years ago! we're having lines cut or reduced and nobody is doing poo poo about it.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

A friend that works in Amazon HR heard a rumor they're gonna try 5 days back in Feb lmao

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

anime was right posted:

thats basically what happened. the upper cost houses stopped selling and more people fight for the "median" house due to limited supply. so the really expensive houses are just sitting on the market which has brought the cost down. also people are buying houses in places that are cheaper rather than buying in a place like california in general.

seattle and SF i believe have shrinking populations atm (not by a lot) and people are moving into the burbs and the southeast.

I can see SF shrinking but just a few months ago I saw between 21-22 Seattle increased by ~2.5%

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

wolfs posted:

except perhaps aquaculture i think that’s more accessible and profitable now

what changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Within the last year or two I remember seeing a news report locally that they had determined particles from tires were responsible for the drop in salmon spawning in rivers here in the PNW. Crickets since.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/tire-dust-is-killing-salmon/