Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

mutata posted:

Hey, I'm gonna be driving through Kelso on Wednesday. Gonna grab me some iron ore.

America is becoming a survival crafting game before our very eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Seph posted:

Personally I like to loudly say “slainte!” every time someone brings me a beer. If they ask what I’m saying, I use that as an opportunity to give a detailed explanation about how my great great grandfather immigrated here in the 1850s. You see, it’s a proud Irish tradition to drink beer and say slainte! I am interesting and cultured.

Same but I tell them about the tragic past of Bennigan's and the lost cultural heritage of the Monte Cristo sandwich.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Morrow posted:

Yeah, we found a new low below Four Seasons Landscaping.

Turns out 4 seasons landscaping is like the Triatram cathedral in that there's many levels below.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

I'm in a hospital waiting for my dad to go into surgery and they have loving newsmax playing in the waiting room. It's not even on mute so I have to sit here and listen to the anchor loudly complain about LGBTQ people. What the gently caress.

Unplug the TV.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Kalit posted:

Yea, he seemed to be. One of my friend's dads who grew up in the Cleveland area despised Kucinich, despite aligning close to him politically. He had met him a handful of times and said he was just an rear end in a top hat of a person :shrug: I realize this is second hand, so if someone who's personally familiar with Kucinich wants to correct me, please do so.

Regardless, if I had this knowledge in 2008, I still wouldn't have changed my mind on supporting him.

Me and a documentary producer friend had drinks with Dennis and Elizabeth Kucinich in 2016 and my impression was that they were both really nice, funny people. Dennis had kind of a sarcastic self-effacing style but seemed disenchanted with the democratic party. They didn't say anything about vaccines or alternative health.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Incoming "WOKE MILITARY!!! How dare you Joe loving BIDEN!! How can men expect unit cohesion with these rules STRANGLING THEM!! Rape is the historical reward for a soldier!!!!"

...oh....oh no I just realized someone, some unhinged freak out there, will say this unironically.

I'm not even sure it needs to be said ironically as preemptive satire.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

Ron should do something totally not desperate like announce his VP running mate.

Trump should do this but pick more than one for an apprentice-style show where he makes Ron and Mike bring him coffee and compete in corny-yet-incriminating challenge games like a document destruction derby or ring kissing contest.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Name Change posted:

I'm not sure anyone who knows much about Florida has seen it as a battleground state for the last 10+ years. Democrats can win statewide races against stronger candidates than DeSantis in battleground states.

If dems ran a decent candidate with a good messaging campaign in FL then they could do well. Andrew Gillium lost by like 30k votes out of more than 8 million cast. Maybe things have changed with the influx of conservatives coming into the state but I think that the problem is just the state party and Crist definitively not being that guy.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Gyges lives in NE FL (if I remember right) and will back me up that the Florida Dem Party may as well not even exist. I've even tried to volunteer for them before and all they seem to want, besides my money, is for me to basically telemarket to get other people to give them money. I've offered my graphic design skills for mailers, logos and signs and poo poo but nope.

I've heard this too from FL friends. If the state party was competent/interested in winning I think we'd have seen a vastly different political landscape in FL the past two decades. It was only like 2 years ago that Republicans surpassed dems in voter registration.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 7, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
edit: apparently I was a few pages behind when I started my rambling contribution to the stuff about capitalism and social isolation and the thread has since moved on, sorry! I'm leaving it here anyway.

The multiplication and fragmentation of identity and discourse that unfolds under capitalism (largely but not entirely) due to the commodification of the very meaning frameworks people rely on for social cohesion is, imo, a substantial part of why we have more isolation. There's a lot of ideological mismatches which crop up as people consume and adopt narratives about the nature of social life and construct their own systems out of contradictory components. This ideological mismatch happens between individuals and institutions like religions too, causing friction and contributing to church attrition.

On top of that, capital has commodified physical spaces in a way that has attracted a huge glut of investment capital and created a scenario where there's a high fiscal barrier to creating shared social spaces in many areas, especially around anything that's not directly encouraging 'economic activity'. Good luck starting the modern equivalent of something like an Elks Club or Mason lodge when it's over a million dollars for a 1000sq ft building!

Then you get into the previously discussed counterfeiting/displacement of physical social activity (via gaming, media consumption, social media participation, etc.) which largely happens in the home or in shared-but-marginally-social spaces like movie theaters. Phone engagement moreover seems to reduce social interaction with proximal people even in explicitly social spaces like bars.

More sinisterly, capitalism has commodified the dislike of 'other' as well as fear and mistrust in myriad ways. This has contributed to a general tenor of unease among some people about engaging outside their sphere. Something like fears of crime victimization sell security systems and true crime podcast patreon subs, but also create apprehension in getting to know ones neighbors - a situation that's devastating to forming community when housing/work is insecure and people need to relocate often.

Discendo Vox posted:

The serial killers all got too fat, couldn't chase their victims anymore.

They spent too much time as cereal killers

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 9, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Does twitter save drafts of unsent tweets?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Building new cities with forward thinking urban planning wouldn't be the worst thing if it meant getting around NIMBY bs and designing without car-centric hellscapes. Not that Trump's plan would be such cities and of course ignoring that cities exist where they are for a host of geographic and geological reason.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Who says I know where my next meal is coming from? It could be Arby's, it could be Taco Bell, it could be Domino's....

I thought the new dipping taco from bell tasted *vaguely* like a real taco if you completely drown it in in the red sauce. It was super weird and made me wish there was a taco stand locally.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 10, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Cryptozoologists deserve to be hounded by bitcoin freaks. And vice versa, honestly.

They're the fun and quirky end of the kook spectrum and should be playfully encouraged as diversion from toxic conspiracy thinking, imo. Reminds me of a simpler time when outsiders would call Coast-to-Coast to share stories about angel abductions, chupacabras in the garage, or gnomes stealing pies while they cool.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Bigfoot is one thing since you can't prove it doesn't exist, but isn't flat-Earthism inherently reactionary? There is widespread, demonstrable proof the Earth is a sphere. You must reject objective, obvious facts in order to hold the belief.

Same with believing aliens are real, that's not predicated in outright rejecting falsifiable evidence.

Yeah that's where I draw the line, if it's a 'let's go wander in the woods and hope to see a bigfoot!' it's alright. If it's denying science or creating conspiracies about people it's on track to be hosed up. Alien stuff kind of walks that line because of all the 'area 51 coverup' narratives and history of ties to antisemites like David Icke.

A little playful magical realism is a fun way to use the imagination, but overindulging requires either possessing (or worse, actively cultivating) credulity in a way that could make one more vulnerable to more malicious discourses that hook into the same impulses.

selec posted:

Yeah, crank magnetism at work! It’s why teaching people that knowledge isn’t power, it’s just a toy now, is ultimately where we should go. People get intoxicated on the idea that these ideas are powerful, but no idea is powerful anymore. Drain the mysticism from knowledge and you drain away that seductive “what’s the next thing they don’t want me to know” feeling. I think in a post-Kojima world it’s the only sensible approach. You can’t know your way out of material circumstances until you know your way into them, which very few people have ever done, compared to the vast inertial mass of humanity that makes up the overwhelming majority of us.

I think this is interesting but kind of myopic. If we're talking simply about possession of facts or beliefs, sure, that's often not a huge direct material advantage. However cultivating a complex of thought processes capable of warding off attempts of others to pull you into scams, hate thinking, or to resist personal despair / self motivate IS important and many bits of knowledge come in handy for navigating the situations a human may or may not encounter. Yes, there's a lot of knowledge that only ends up being an end in itself rather than a means to power, but treating all knowledge as solely a toy is way too caviler when 'ironic' racism/sexism/homophobia is a common onboarding path to radicalized ideology with serious outcomes for society.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 12, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Just gotta kill time untill the AI Philosopher King is developed.

Bad news, these models are being trained on content from the Internet.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I can only imagine what kooky conspiracy theories would show up if trump had a health issue in custody.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
The dvd streaming selection absolutely made the streaming selection look pathetic so I completely understand getting rid of it. That said, they could have kept it going and even grown it substantially. It's not like they even tried low hanging fruit moves like: letting users browse and order through the TV app, integrating with letterboxd/IMDb for impulse/list based ordering, letting prospective customers browse the catalogue before signing up, etc.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Beastie posted:

I know, and apparently a doc about the whole thing was cancelled.

Also, physical vs streaming: I still need my xbox to connect to the internet to play a BluRay. So that doesn't change much in my mind. I buy a ton of movies on sale from Microsoft though.

Only the first time you install the DVD player app.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Well...except for one well known deviant

"Well, when the President does it, that means that it is not deviancy"

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

nerox posted:

Finally, I can get my meat mountain on a footlong instead of a hamburger bun.

Finally curly fries instead of a bag of chips.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Sundae posted:

They worshipped a being called IZOD...

"My name is IZOD... for ZUMIEZ I am an exterminator"

I watch the Bright Sun Films channel sometimes, but there's a lot of great 'wow guys lets gawk at this creepy decaying mall' content on youtube. Some of it has good historical context for the structures, but it would be neat to see someone mix in more economic and class discussion into their mall spelunking.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 28, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Queering Wheel posted:

Okay then prove it you rear end in a top hat.

gently caress. I'm so loving tired of religious people that want to force this poo poo onto everyone.

There's nothing I've seen from this guy that says 'sincere religious person trying to push their faith' to me, fwiw. I get a lot more 'demagogue trying to send out specific signals' vibes. I think there's a substantial difference in the Wilhoit's law sense where the norms of religion don't bind someone engaging in that kind of activity in the same way they would a person who's sincerely trying to act as a religious agent.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 28, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
So when you combine nobody at the wheel with no safety oversight it's called Elon mode?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
University should be the norm and people should be paid a living wage to attend. Job training should happen after and also be paid.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I'm currently reading Zealot by Reza Aslan. It's a historical history of Jesus.

In it he talks about the ridiculous story of how the bible white washes Pontious Pilates actions (he was notoriously terrible and was documented as so apparently) and instead transposes the final decision of crucifixion onto the Jews themselves. Which makes no sense whatsoever of course.

He talks about how this is likely because once the Christian movement moves out into Rome... they had to retcon the Romans as "not evil" and instead put that blame on the Jewish population with a nonsensical story.

Feels like that's the origin story for all of this.

A running theme of the four gospels is criticizing fundamentalism and religious scenarios where tradition is made more important than people. Like Socrates' death, the protagonist of the story being killed because of offending religious sensibilities is probably more the point of the text than a incoherent retcon to please an outside power. I don't think Pilate comes off very well at all though. He tortures Jesus, offers the crowd a sadistic trolly problem between two prominent members of their society, and then mocks him before ordering his execution. The trauma and fallout of the First Jewish–Roman War was fresh among the diaspora (including the emergent Christian movement) when the gospels were authored, so I don't think the intended audience had any trouble seeing Pilate and the Roman authorities as absolute monsters.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

But we already have Litecoin

Meet the "Incoindescent" fork

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That is one hell of a placebo effect then because I’ve taken this many, many times and felt like it worked.

Didn't this get marketed because they started regulating pseudoephedrine as part of the war on drugs?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

World’s richest man

World’s most divorced man

Who’s askin

Being the world record holder for 'most time stuck in the K hole by the CEO of a major company' is a personal legacy, of sorts.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 12, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Biden replacing Harris would be a bad look. Otoh, a good VP candidate would go a ways towards addressing the age concerns maybe.

He could alleviate the fallout of replacing Harris by replacing himself too. Might even help with the age concerns.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 14, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Fetterman should be dressing like Wilson Fisk/Kingpin and also carrying around big loving cane with a skull on it or something.

Great name/post combo.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Is spending 300k at Morton's spinnable into supporting small farms? Asking for a friend.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Pulling the fire alarm as a tribute to first responders

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

IMO the Speaker should be selected each week: the departing speaker tosses the gavel and whoever catches it is the next speaker.
(It is the departing speaker's choice whether to throw underarm or overarm)

I'm picturing a Hammer Brother or Bowser when he starts throwing them in SMB1.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

nachos posted:

Shouldn’t have had that second cheeseburger

Speaker credentials burnished.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
If you grow up in a landlocked state most famous for it's giant fishless lake then some ignorance of piscine preparation is acceptable, but really it's not too much to ask that a Senator refrain from putting ketchup on salmon.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Only one guy has gone from the House of Representatives to the White House: Garfield.

Abolishing Mondays is probably even more popular than fixing daylight savings.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Nervous posted:

He's not giving Elon the satisfaction. Supposedly he hated him.

It's also probably a tactical choice. Trump knows that he can get an attention boost/news cycle out of returning to Twitter and I'm guessing he's saving that for if/when he needs it.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

rscott posted:

This response is certainly coming original

This derail is a beautiful disaster.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
It's also kind of unintuitive to imagine the government taking a side decisively against capital interests at this point.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Control rent by forcing landlords to compete with free government provided housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Redeemed.