Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sydin posted:

So I've only done the wind and fire temples but both of them effectively being timers because of their environmental effects sucks. Oh you only brought four resist potions and couldn't solve the dungeon in 30 minutes? Eat poo poo and die I guess.

Both towns sold the resistant armor but the prices are insane, it's like 3000 rupees for a full set of each.

Having a lot of fun with the game but this particular aspect sucks poo poo.

If you've got the ingredients but don't have the meal, use one of the one use zonai cooking pots. I always have a full inventory of meals specifically because it's still funny to me how much of a cheat code tier 3 defense and good armor is, but I ran out too where you did and just ducked into a covered room to cook up another 12 minutes worth

edit - it helped in that case that there's a spicy pepper bush every 5 feet for the first 10 hours of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Popped into a cave that ended up being enormous, and ended with a pillar suspicious enough I ascended through it, ended up in a nightmare PTSD room from the first game, barely made it out alive ascending again through a pillar with 1 heart left, and into the middle of a labyrinth. 1 rocket jump and a bit of walking and looking down later it's solved, and my reward is - in part - an easier way to access the nightmare hell room. What a game this is, holy poo poo. BotW's combat and weapons systems were very clearly rough drafts for a masterpiece of a final product now. Still finding fun new combinations, like how boomerangs are great now and no amount of rupees is worth more than what a topaz can do offensively.

Thanks to like 500 hours in Elden Ring I'm also a lot better with two-handed weapons and just better in general since BotW/TotK combat is essentially carefully fishing for a stagger and then going apeshit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

Would I be crazy for mostly dismissing the ghost things? I don’t like seeing them around all the time.

Also, what is the big deal about the wind sage power? It seems much worse than Ravali’s gale in basically every way.

I'm the same, I wish I could dismiss them but still have access to their power. The one I've got at least is pretty useful in a fight but I'm having the same issues I had in Elden Ring where just enough of the time they make the enemies behave unpredictably which gets on my nerves because by the time I got it I didn't actually need help in most fights anymore. You can activate them while in the air so I just keep it off and turn it on as needed. I also keep thinking it's an enemy sneaking up on me lol

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm open to being sold on it. But you can use monster parts in elixers or sell them for cash. Why use a horn for plus 8 damage or whatever when I have a zillion comparable weapons lying on the ground for parts?

Maybe once in a while for variety, but enemies drop horn weapons too anyway. I'm saying it in a lighthearted way, but the game really doesn't give me a reason to spend my horns on a sword thus far. I do stuff for fun like a bouncy mushroom weapon etc from time to time though.

And for sure I've been buying lots of capsules, but it's just funny that I may not use them for 100 hours. I figure why use them if I don't need to, and game DNA teaches us to keep our stuff since we don't know what's around the corner. Granted, it is a bit silly, but I guess not using these items much (yet) also adds a little bit of custom difficulty challenge or something. I'll try to treat myself to using one or two here and there.

By the way, a grappling hook would be something. I could see that coming back into the mix at some point. Ascend and the tools here are a lot of fun and creative though.

It's just like any other resource now, if you're getting a lot use them freely and if it's high damage and rare be more selective. My bread and butter weapon this playthrough has been just sticking a construct horn on whatever polearm I find laying around because as a weapon it is rock solid because even small damage boosts are big when you attack 155 times per second at incredible range, and also I get loads of horns so if I've got to toss it I'm not going to sweat it. Horns add so much damage and drop from drat near everything that it definitely feels like fusing is their primary purpose.

Killing any constructs you see also has the side effect of having lots of charges to turn into zonai devices. Killing the hoarder in my brain was hard work but it's been very rewarding since 99% of the time it's faster to just get more of X resource in the off-chance you run out than it is to not use it when you need it, especially since you can save scum so it's not like a Souls thing where you can just lose it and still need to do the fight.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 19, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ran into my first Lynel in the depths just now and by god, they're actually kind of fun to fight now

RandolphCarter posted:

Some enemy complaints: silver bokoblins seem to have a billion health, and the talus with their weak points on there backs suck

polearm with a smashing type horn on it is my go-to for the annoying taluses, you've got the reach to actually hit it from both the ground and on top of it, and you typically have time to fully charge it before it knocks you off so it does a crapload of damage

Any regular mob that's giving me trouble gets the ice sword, ice is just insanely powerful and the frost breath lizalos horns seem to last a good while, though it's not like ice fruit is rare

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finally got my twin fan air scooter going, and folks it is worth any amount of frustration to get it going. Effortlessly zooming around the last couple sky islands I hadn't done yet, and onto the depths to get it lit up next

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Can someone repost the video of this? I can’t get this right and need to rewatch it.

I ended up just putting two fans down side by side and rotating the control panel 45 degrees between them, the only real trick is ensuring the panel itself is actually in line with the first fan and that both fans are connected in the same spot in the same way on their side. It'll be 10+ minutes of being thrown around wildly but of all the setups I found this one easiest because there's only one fiddly part. I'll try to find a video of someone doing it how I did if somebody else doesn't first

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same but now it’s making me want to focus on building more cells because I want all the energy for all the flying.

Good news then about how much easier exploring the Depths is with one! I'm still perfecting a ground vehicle with an emphasis on it being cheap to build, but in the process of doing so I've amassed a huge amount of zoanite lol. I only use the large for energy cells since the return on the smalls is so bad and they make building easier but that may have to change

Khanstant posted:

I got all the Poe armor so I'm just saving up Poes for the boss run and I'll buy the whole set of Legacy Weapons to fuse good parts to.

I've also come to love 2 handers, which also means more room for rocket shield stock. No more awkward go to block a hit and JK I'm going to the moon lol.

The charge attack on 2 handers is just so good at creaming bosses. I think flux construct are the ones I prefer to go at with a 1 hander because you often don't get time and space for the long shotput spin. Hinox are also like free loot bags, pop on attack armor and just charge with a spear or 2 hand sword and half the time they're dead as soon as the boss health bar shows up.

Shout outs to the Hinox with wooden flammable ankle guards, death via rear end pokes while they do the on-fire jitterbug.

I started to really like 2 handers when I started treating them like a Souls game and made sure to always open with a sprinting attack or jumping attack, both of which come out quick and ready your weapon for the spin to win

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Need to add acorns to their feed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I joke but knowing as much as I do about the game now theres a very real chance that works

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A roomba with a construct head with 5 beam emitters is shockingly lethal for how silly it looks, and only at the cost of a bit more than two of the fan segways.

Does every part of an autobuild just cost 3 zoanite except the batteries?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm really hoping for a Snowrunner collab

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pro-tips for any flight enthusiasts I've heard or discovered for myself exploring the depths -

1) I've found the bicycle dual fan scooter setup to be a bit better than the segway style one, but it's also quite possible that it's just that I built that one a bit better. Both are good but if you're actually wanting to explore or collect resources, a tricycle of 3 small wheels with a control stick on top is 100x better

2) If you just hit X but don't move from the control stick you won't take damage on the landing, thought this often requires nerves of steel in the Depths, and

3) If you've got a lot of momentum, after you hit X use Recall on your ride then immediately cancel it. It kills all momentum and you'll drop straight down. Has made keeping the same one for awhile a lot easier. You can also do this to cheese some puzzles

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are there any good elixir recipes I should know about? haven't really experimented much with those or could really tell what to toss in to make a good one.

Seems like just using 5 banana's or porgies or specific weather food until you got clothes is easy enough to understand and gets the job done fine.

The only really fancy one I use is 2 high quality meat and 3 of the sunblooms, which will first heal your corrupted hearts and then heal them as normal hearts, fantastic space saver for the Depths. Beyond that I always have my prepared meals tab full but it's always "what do I need? 5 of that please"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For the Deku Tree Hands, and Hands in general;

Aside from what everyone else has suggested, just use Spears on them. The long reach keeps the Gloom at the base of them away just out of reach of you as you jab the poo poo outta them. Also make some Sundelion-enhanced food to treat the Gloom'ed hearts.

I've killed a few now and have had a lot of success with frost for phase 1, the hands freeze easily and it chunks them, and you freeze multiple at once which keeps them from grabbing you. Phantom Ganon does indeed go down swiftly to a polearm with a good horn on it, on account of that weapon typing being by far the most powerful thing in the game lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like the story, but I'm a sucker for the stuff that annoys people and consider most of it including the disjointed way you're likely to discover things that happened a staple of the time fuckery genre in the same way that you know you're gonna see some badass pistols when you pick up something that's cyberpunk. Everything else is just the merry tales of the beautiful idiots that are the Hylians

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

External Organs posted:

Fused a lizafalos tail to something for the first time last night, cool!!

Also poked my head in the colosseum. Uhhhh I'll come back later.

Next try it on a boomerang and give it a throw

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Those puff mushrooms are incredibly powerful, I'm making short work of camps of silver enemies even by dropping onto them and opening with a puffball, killing 3/4 of them, then blitzing down the big guard that most of the time still can't even find me.

It's not entirely foolproof though when you can't see the explosives strewn about the place

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Remember to strap every crazy thing you come across to your weapon just in case

So far every dumb rear end idea I've thought up has worked and worked well, it's incredible. I keep 2 smashers and 2 choppers at all times and beyond that I just pick up whatever and slap something on it and it works. Even if the combo kind of sucks it doesnt matter because arrow fusions are even more busted than weapon ones

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Koroks respawn instantly I'm pretty sure. You're really close to something that will let you back track but dont ever sweat an individual seed, they're all over

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've killed probably 15 Hinox now and still only 2 guts. I don't like the look of the only other armor with that much defense but I just got the set and it seems like a much easier farm lol

Hawkperson posted:

Man I really should not have leveled up my mobs so much before thinking about tackling Lurelin :smith:

Open with a puff mushroom and a bunch of backstabs, makes things waaaaay easier and I've had much better success with it than with the muddlebuds. Arrow fusions are insanely strong and getting in the habit of using them whenever the opportunity presents itself will make things nice and easy again. A nice thing is you can just buy them for Poe so you can go crazy with them. The throw attack on a sapphire fused magic rod is also a freeze nuke which is crazy powerful and a good cheap oh poo poo button, and magic rods are buyable as well

Once you can put silver bokoblins down with ease things get a lot easier, their horns as as silly as they are powerful and you get a lot so you can just slap them on everything

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finally finished the 2nd dungeon, the Fire Temple, and I really like that the devs seemingly intentionally let you think like a Goron or think like a Link. Being able to just ignore the mine cart part and instead spend probably even more time climbing and ascending to get around them made it a lot more fun. New sage has made me appreciate Tulin more, with how he keeps a distance and his power can be activated remotely

So far I've liked the dungeons but I also view the "dungeon" as more than just the final location, which just like in BotW they're a bit underwhelming in the same way a classic zelda dungeon would be if it was just the part where you're about to bring the pillars down and confront the boss. IMHO it starts when you get the dungeon gimmick tool.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just realized that the only Lynels I've run across so far have been the armored silver gloom ones in the depths. Kinda curious if I just skipped straight to the hardest variant and the rest are gonna be piss easy now, or if there is a surprise yet in store for me. These fuckers take a lot of killing I tell you what.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

yes

although I kind of almost like those because the armor pops off with a flurry rush from a good hammer and then you get a free spanking out of it and something to throw on your shield

Yeah armor isnt hard at all in my experience, but I'm also a mega caveman and always have half my inventory as two handed hammers despite polearms being the clear winner in terms of power. It's mostly my completely inability to side dodge and their health pool that make them a challenge for me

Did manage to independently confirm that their AI isnt so great if you're just spinning to win at their side at their hind legs.

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't think there has ever been a game where swimming has been fun, going all the way back to Mario Bros 1

Subnautica

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Love Subnautica, and have hundreds of hours into it and the sequel. But the swimming sucks in the game, it's why they introduce vehicles almost immediately. And it's first person.

Yeah that's how you make a good swimming game, which is the same way you make a good open world game - fun traversal options where their removal is a deliberate zone or encounter choice.

We've already got a shrine that lets you do buoyancy stuff, it's coded into the game in some capacity, give us a Terror from the Deep DLC where we're piloting a submarine to clear Zonai cruise ships of gloom lobster men with a temple on the ocean floor!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah considering she's basically the Hyrule equivalent of a lady wearing a ripped up "I'D RATHER BE REBUILDING A MAGITECH ENGINE" t-shirt, a deep woods Appalachia accent would've been fantastic. She travels the lands talking food and ranching to anybody she shares a campfire with and when given a choice, lives in a well because it's good enough. She's got a real hillbilly core that should get some time in the sun.

I didn't mind the Goron's VA much but I did keep hearing "WHY'D YOU DO THAT?" which, well, fair.

Mostly whenever a cast has a big variety of accents versus "everybody is Welsh", I just wait until I hear my good pal Bender "Bending" Rodriguez and get sad if I don't

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

her entire character is about the conflict between her hands-on interests and her aristocratic upbringing so maybe not so much

Ain't just the British that have these things

edit - or whatever it's intended to be, her VA is more breathy than anything else to me and I'm no linguist

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sonatinas posted:

What’s the optimal 2 fan traveling build? Mine keep on being uncontrollable. Maybe my alignment is off. I guess I can spend more than 5 min experimenting.

The air bike setup is best I think, but either option is fiddly to get just right. It's worth spending 10-15 minutes getting it perfect because you can save it

I'm actually having a lot more trouble getting a good ATV going. The obvious options are all more than I'd like to spend per build given that it's going to despawn if you move more than 10 feet from it but getting a good stabilizer+big wheel+control stick setup going has been tricky to say the least

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Scholtz posted:

This is my go-to

Same, it's also relatively easy to get going because the build starts with a fan on the ground and the control stick being moved a standard 45 degrees

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

This is me at 110 hours. Lord but I've played this game a lot.

Does anyone know how many diamonds are needed for all quests and armor upgrades? The lady is offering to buy diamonds this time around, and even though it's only 10 for the sell price of 11, it's a lot of money and it'll free up whatever she wants to buy next.

Just do a couple rounds of animal slaughter around the stable near the Rito, almost everything there drops gourmet meat and 5 of those cooked up sells for 315 rupees. Gems are actually useful for things now so I haven't sold hardly any. Diamonds are how I replace my favorite bow.

You can also sell the prime meat you get for a bit less but a still solid amount but I usually keep it for filling my inventory with healing meals

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Going to the Depths to play Monster Hunter for a bit is by far the best way to upgrade batteries, and also just fun in general. Combat and enemy variety went from one of my least favorite things in the original to one of my favorites here, crazy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The hell they ain’t:
- Glide suit negates fall damage
- Froggy suit make climb jumping in rain not slip
- whatever the gloom resist armor gives gloom attacks (from anything in the depth) resistance
- the climbing one I think gives you more stamina or better jumps

The froggy one alone is worth getting to lvl 3

The nice thing about boring high defense armor is that it's way easier to upgrade, defense is insanely good at high levels, and I have like 200 bananas I can use for an attack buff any time I like. The only annoyances with the two highest armor sets is drop rates on one (but it's an enemy you see a hundred of) and enemies with the parts will become a lot less common over time with the other (but you get the parts on weapons and can still find them easy enough). The 2nd set here is probably almost too good but it looks stupid

Compare that to farming dragons even with a dupe glitch...no thanks lol.

I've been playing around with gloom resist and it's actually really nice. When you need it you tend to need it bad so I always keep 1-2 max level foods on me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Uh, that sounds pretty good.

I've got an only somewhat optimized setup and I one shot silver moblins doing this lol. Puffshrooms are crazy powerful, they even work on gloom hands to set up some spin to win, nothing else I use is more precious

It's super confusion, you can sprint right up to them and backstab whole groups one after the other and if it doesn't kill them outright, it puts them in some kind of mega stagger

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 27, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

Jumping off its back counts for matrix bow time so it's better than those other losers aside from birb by default

My favorite for this is just putting a single control stick on the ground and using the leaping dismount to go into bullet time

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've only found Zonaite bows in dungeons, I've got two that I make sure to keep repaired specifically because they're so useful to snipe

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait how do you repair bows? I’m down to my last one :(

Rock Octorocks around Death Mountain. Drop it so they eat it, they'll do a special animation and spit it back at you fully repaired and possibly with some kind of upgrade. If you're not quick they'll also kill you with it. One per octorock per blood moon. Works for all weapons that aren't special.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MokBa posted:

No joke I still have not been finding shrines. I feel like there’s some secret spot in a map filled them that I just haven’t stumbled across. This is what I get for beelining so much content instead of slowly exploring the game, but no regrets.

Unlocking every lightroot was a huge boon for this for me, and for anybody who explores all the surface first I suppose

Supremezero posted:

Zora is the best, tho. Maintains wet status. Embrace your lord and savior Lightscale Trident.

I hadn't considered this, those Zora weapons get pretty nuts if you've got splash fruit or a fire hydrant in the room

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 27, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have to split them up after? I guess I’ll try it and see! Neat, thanks.

Just cancel and all the collected ones will drop where the autobuild is hovering, works for golden apples too

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kin posted:

I dupe because I'm pushing 40, have 2 kids and a full time job.

I'd rather not go through a lengthy process just to make a number marginally go up any more because I don't have the time to do that.

I get that weapon durability is a design choice and it makes the game what it is, but just give us aging gamers an accessibility option or something to cut out any gridy gameplay bits.

That being said, I'm betting if those started appearing in games, a large percentage of players would turn it on. I don't think anybody likes a grind.

Puffshrooms are more powerful than an inventory full of diamonds and lynel saber horns, pretty sure dazzlefruit are too. Don't think they allow sneakstrikes but they'll daze enemies and make them drop weapons

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What would playing on after defeating Ganon mean? All the gloom disappears, bokoblins go poof, and you get to run around a peaceful monsterless world? That doesn't sound like a very fun gameplay experience.

Well I've defeated Ganon in this setting once already and it didn't seem to do the trick so if none of that stuff went away I can't say I'd be terribly surprised.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's hardly anything to go by in a world where it's shocking that 90% of the population doesn't drown in a light rain

Probably nobody mentions the Calamity because it didn't happen in the last 6 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Near end-game spoilers:

Purah: How odd, an imposter Zelda appearing just before poo poo kicks off in every single instance of these regional disturbances

Me: Thank God, somebody has been able to put two and two together at long last

Purah, looking through telescope: Egads! Zelda is at the castle surrounded by malevolent energy with a blood moon right behind her! We need to go save her!

Me: :negative: