Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I'm really invested in the profound writing and rich storyline of all of these garbage cans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

What are some good team comps for the first simulated universe? I went in at like 14 and got mulched by the bosses, levelled up to 20, went back in, and got mulched by the bosses again I just got a little bit further. I guess I can just do other stuff until I unlock ascensions but I feel like I'm missing something.

I haven't done too many rolls yet so I don't have any major gacha characters I'm working from what's free so far.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Scoss posted:

Looking at the enemy list on SU1, I'd say Phys-MC / Dan / March / Fire character (probably Asta if you have noone else). Having at least two characters that can hit weakness is pretty important for bosses. You absolutely need either a healer or a shielder (arguably could use both).

Some small optimization stuff to check in order to squeeze out more power -- Check that everyone has a card equipped and that it's leveled up to at least 20. If you have a lot of dupes of the 3* cards, superimpose them up to rank 5. Make sure everyone is wearing at least some relic gear even if you don't have full sets and it's kinda crummy at this level. Check to level up your traces, the first couple upgrades are very cheap.

Hm, alright. That's my comp, and unfortunately March wasn't enough to race the sheer amount of damage the bosses were putting out. AoE would chunk people faster than she could shield them.

I have levels and cards equipped but not much else. I was working through the space station without progressing too far into the next area, so I guess I'll do that, unlock ascendency, and come back with a statistical advantage.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Has Hoyoverse talked about what the road map for HSR is in the coming months, or how often we can expect patches?

I don't know if there's specific releases yet for update cadence but for the short term you could probably expect it to be similar to Genshin - 6 weeks and change between patches. The game's progression structures are so identical to Genshin that you can ballpark the next patch just by looking at banner timers or when the battle pass is intended to expire. If I had to draw my own conclusions I would assume they would alternate, as Genshin does, between patches that move the story forward or add new explorable spaces, and patches that add some QoL and temporary side events.

Much like Genshin, leaks abound for Star Rail and we already have leaked banners for I believe 1.1 through 1.3, so the game is pretty well planned out through the summer for certain.

The one thing I'll be interested in is if they move new story faster then Genshin. It's a year and change between new regions in that game so far, and it'd be a bit of a bummer if we had to wait that long between destinations here.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

If people are looking at the Seele banner and trying to do mental calculations on how many resources to spend now vs later for other characters, the general heuristic is that if you are at minimum keeping the $5 daily draw currency rolling and have got the basic version of the paid battle pass, starting from 0 you generate a bit over a pity's worth of draws in a given 6-week patch. I'm basing this off how Genshin feeds players draw currency over time, since Star Rail is pretty much a 1-to-1 copy of Genshin's structure in this regard it should equally apply.

As such, if you just need to hit a single pity you can skip one banner and roll on the other. If you need to hedge against losing the coin flip, you need to skip two banners. Over time as you win coin flips and the game gives extra rolls sometimes you can either hit both banners or roll for weapons lightcones. If you are strict F2P then you can expect this to be about 2/3 to 1/2 as fast and will probably want to skip rolls for 2-3 banners, or more, if you're chasing someone specific. Since this is launch, we likely have early-game and launch event boosts to draws which may give you as much as one full pity above and beyond this.

This is as good a time as any to comment that Hoyoverse game news, be it Genshin or Star Rail, leaks like a sieve. You can almost always get notice of banners several patches in advance as easily as checking reddit for star rail leaks and plan appropriately! I know some people prefer to avoid spoilers, but it's a unfortunate feature of Gacha titles that if you play them without this kind of preparation you can end up disappointed - or pressured into spending money you may not have wanted to spend. Forewarned is forearmed.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

Here's a table showing how much jade you can get from the two main repeatable sources by the time the next few banners are expected to release, starting specifically from today.

(snip)

This is of pretty limited use without a good estimate of how much you're likely to get from chests and quests and all the other one-time sources, unfortunately.

Also: I've intentionally excluded the 300 Oneiric Shards you get when you first buy each Supply Pass. I assume most people will only use them as a last resort, because Genshin eventually added alternate outfits that you can only buy with those. (And if you include them, the calculation becomes much simpler, because then the Daily Training and Supply Pass together give you exactly enough jade for one roll every day. Almost like they designed it that way!)

If they keep to the same general pattern of jade giveaways that they do for primogems in Genshin (this will include thinks like rewards from new chests, from new quests, from patch events, and so on) you can assume these amounts will be roughly doubled in the final total.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Baiard posted:

March mentions something about inherent cold resistance the moment you land on the first planet, I just don't remember if it only applies to trailblazers or any person who follows a path. Also not sure if Clara even counts because Svarog does everything in combat...

Natasha's last quest has the her and the MC walk into the snow fields and while you're fine Nat's voice lines indicate she's very obviously freezing to death after only a short time, so the effect is definitely limited to whoever's a trailblazer

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Trying to understand banners and pity timers...

Pulling on the Seele banner, I got Bailu... probably pretty close to reaching the pity count if not there outright. I'm assuming, giving the nature of this being a predatory gacha game, that it's unlikely to reach the pity pull a 2nd time if f2p (or low cost investment like the $5 thing). But if I keep pulling on the banner, I'll either:

1. Get extremely lucky and get Seele before the the pity count.

2. Not get Seele, but be closer to the pity count and guaranteed character pull for banner #2

So, unless I didn't want Seele (or whomever the character is in the future), I should keep pulling on the off-chance I get lucky. There's no downside.

On the other hand, if I *had* got Seele, it might have made sense to hold on the pulls until the 2nd banner to have the opportunity of getting the next one. Since the only thing I could get now would be a random 5* which I might get pulling on the second banner anyway. Or wait, could you get multiple Seele's and eidolon up? Perhaps that would be the upside there.

You misunderstand the nature of the pity system, which is understandable because it's two separate things.

First, eventually you get a 5-star reward. That's guaranteed. If it goes by the same system as Genshin which is almost certainly does, the "hard pity" is 90 rolls. However, the chance of pulling a 5-star begins to ramp up dramatically at 75 rolls. The moment you get a 5-star of any kind at any point, this pity counter resets. Once you rolled your Bailu the count became zero. There are separate pity timers for every separate banner on the Warp page (Character banner, Light Cone banner, Standard banner). The pity counter will roll over every time one of those banners changes, and is never lost.

Second, you have a 50% chance to get the banner 5-star character the first time you roll a 5-star. If you don't get them, you have a 100% chance to get the banner character the next time you roll a 5-star.

So: you rolled on the Seele banner, hit the pity counter, got a 5-star, which was Bailu. Having lost the coinflip, the next 5-star you roll on a character banner, even if it's not this banner but one in the future, is guaranteed to be the banner character. If you keep rolling on this banner your next 5-star will be Seele. If you wait three weeks, and roll on the next banner, it will be Jing Yuan. Once you've gotten this guaranteed 5-star character, you are back to a 50% coinflip.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Endorph posted:

Correct.

Also Tingyun and Sushang will both be on rateup on Jing Yuan's banner, so.

My standard banner pity gave me the 5* harmony LC which means I am perfectly positioned to grab Tingyun now, which actually means I'm looking forward to my E10 March 7 and no new characters

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've been trying this and it works....but it clearly doesn't work if you're underleveled with those units.

I think all I'm getting out of this chart is that there's really a huge number of possible character combinations for SU that are viable because it's the blessings and resonance that matter more than the characters you bring.

My winning run of SU6 didn't use any of those - I ran FireMC/Bailu/Serval/Hook and was Hunt focused with a couple lucky dips into other blessings - notably one that increased break efficiency, so that I was lowering stagger bars faster, and one that delayed enemies a bit extra on break. Everything else was geared towards feeding me energy, turns, or other resources when I killed things or broke bars. It wasn't the fastest clear in the world, but it was ludicrously stable with Cocolia never managing more than one turn before I could break her again. The entire fight buckled under my complete control of the action economy thanks to her continuously summoning weak adds I could mulch for hunt bonuses.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

delfin posted:

Genshin was like this for me. I enjoyed it very much while it lasted. New content came out that was disappointing (the ice realm, which was a kick in the balls to try to navigate and neatly disrupted the explore-almost-anywhere vibe that the rest of the game had, and a multiplayer event that was really poorly implemented and buggy), and that cooled my ardor for a bit. I continued to run the treadmill for another couple of weeks and collect plants and potions and powerup items and whatever I needed to add an extra 2% now and then to my hitters' attack stats. And then I found myself wondering... why am I still doing this? I've gone as far as it'll let me go, I'm running the same routes over and over, and I'm just making incremental upgrades now. And I reclaimed the download space on my phone.

The correct way to play Genshin (and to make this relevant to the thread, the correct way to play Star Rail) is to stop playing when you begin to burn out on the treadmill that keeps up engagement and - critically - stay away for multiple patches at once to allow a large amount of content to build up. The unfortunate truth is that while the 6 week patch cycle is ludicrously fast for a GaaS title it's still not enough content to do more then string you along if you're not already invested. You will get much more enjoyment out of the game if you've allowed enough content to release, unplayed, for you to really sink into for a couple weeks before everything is exhausted once more.

Granted this will have the additional effect of not being able to keep up on banners if you're F2P, but thems the breaks sometimes. It's worth considering that Hoyo intentionally does not make story content difficult and if you wanted to simply revisit Star Rail every six months for more space opera excitement with your best friends March 7th and Dan Heng I 100% believe that'll be possible forever.

I will say that once you're at Dailies-And-Log levels of playing Star Rail it seems way more accommodating than Genshin ever was, so if you are of a mind to stick around even between patches it'll be much less of an imposition then Genshin, or other equivalent titles.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Kale posted:

I love how Jing Yuans trailers and the Space China arc so far makes it perfectly clear that this guy might as well be General Chad Chaderson the coolest guy ever. Its like Big Ayato energy basically. Handsomeman design, great fighter, the wise philosophical chessmaster, the revered public figure that mentioning you know them gets you out of jail free, the tragic backstory forcing him into a role he probably didnt want but is super good at anyway despite nobody quite understanding his pain (TM)

The only thing he's lacking is the perfect little sister that everybody loves even more than him yet still is there to pump his tires at every opportunity, but he has a lion and protege instead I guess

It's important to be honest with yourself, and I can be honest enough with myself in that I'm going to roll Jing Yuan because the last RPG I played before Star Rail was Octopath 2 and he shares a voice actor with a major character there.

I get to Space China and this dude says all of two lines before I make the connection and I'm like eeeeeeey it's Oswald, but he's chilled way the gently caress out and is enjoying his life happy for you jrpg dad

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

I had got myself to 40 rolls into Seele banner prior to the change over and Jing Yuan came home after another 40, thankfully winning the coinflip. Fished 30 rolls past that for some more of these 4stars and walked away with Shushang E0 (good), Tingyun E2 (great!), and March E5 (because of course), which I am overall very happy with.

The notion of "don't pull a banner unless you expect the five star" still applies but this banner does have a pretty good value proposition from the four stars available to a degree that I'd probably recommend at least dipping into it a bit. March is still a good utility character for that ludicrous shield, Shushang frees up MC to stay as a very effective tank while being a physical DPS that isn't Clara, Tingyun is Tingyun.

Even Jing kinda rips poo poo apart even in early testing so the biggest issue with rolling for him is opportunity cost against Silver Wolf or Kafka; that's a fair point, but character banners come around again as time goes on and this early into the game's life cycle if you're committed for the long haul then filling out the roster with good characters is in no way a bad thing, even if it delays your fave coming home as soon as possible.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Three weeks of having useless Elation blessing pollute my drops in SU, I finally get a character with a good follow-up and I think, what the hell, lets try some Elation runs.

Five aborted attempts later I had never seen more than 4-5 Elation blessings by the second elite fight ever, despite blowing all my cash on rerolls. It just be like that sometimes.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

JY, I've found, really needs Tingyun to be properly effective (good thing they're on the same banner, I suppose!). Effectively all of JY's offensive output comes from his Stand and his actual turns only matter to power it up. Ting is critical for feeding him energy to keep Ults flowing and thus bringing his Stand to 8+ power between each of it's turns.

Similarly, he really shines in Simulated Universe because of the various ways you can generate extra turns or free energy or other buffs to the action economy which all feed back into better Stand turns.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

JT Jag posted:

I have Seele, so I can afford to skip Silver Wolf. Both Luocha and Blade fill bigger needs for me.

It's worth considering that Silver Wolf is an incredible enabler for Seele since she'll be able to apply Quantum weakness to things that don't have it and both of them benefit from it. A bunch of the pre-release evaluations for up coming characters highlight that Silver Wolf is good just in a vacuum but the people who really benefit are Seele-havers.

Luocha is useful if you do not yet have a 5-star healer since he can be targeted from a banner and Baiyu mostly cannot (I doubt anyone's gonna blow their 300-roll spark on her). I won't claim to understand your bench but Blade is ultimately a character that Hits Hard and is ultimately the most replaceable of the three.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Q4 this year for PS5 release. No sign of a PS4 release.

The one good thing about this is if it launches with content parity, and I would assume that it will, it's going to have a solid 40+ hours of main story at that point. These games only get better with time so people starting up on PS5 are going to be eating pretty well.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

JT Jag posted:

part of me is tempted to go for the eidolons but no, that way leads to madness and way too much money loss

The best way to mentally handle an early character pull like that is not to think about the potential for Eidolons but think about the extra new character you can now likely afford with the unspent resources! Now you could roll for Luocha too, or try to get Kafka and Blade next patch.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

I got my Silver Wolf up to competence levels of traces and gear so I took her for a spin in SU5-2. Hilariously, despite the entire stage having no real lightning weakness anywhere (including the last boss) my team of TB/Jing/Ting/SW strolled to a completely trivial victory on the back of SW giving lightning weakness to everything. SW is really good, goddamn.

You'll also get a few new achievements for bullying Kafka with SW's debuffs during the fight, glad they're still adding those in.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Walla posted:

Remind me why Herta is bad again? Right now she has the third highest attack of everyone I happen to own at level 60. She's only behind level 50! Arlan and Jing Yuan. Though I never raised Hook so she might be 4th overall of who I have available.

Herta is fine for fast content and content that you will very quickly push enemies into triggering her talent. Her biggest problem is that she is the most Erudite of the current Erudition characters in that she is laser-focused on bullying large groups of weak enemies to death. There's a niche for that, sure, but a sizeable portion of endgame in SU and MoC is very much not that.

Jing Yuan, just as a good comparison since he is also an Erudition character, is also good at AoE damage since his skill is group and not simply burst, and his Stand does very good damage to multi target. He shines however because his kit doesn't fall apart if he's up against one beefy boss enemy as opposed to a small horde of mooks, because his Stand will do impressive damage regardless of if it's clearing a field or chunking down a boss.

In short: Herta is good at one thing. There are characters who are good at multiple things, including what Herta is good at, and it can be better to build the latter instead of Herta once you play long enough and transition into the harder content.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Clarste posted:

Genshin actually pissed me off with how much it tried to keep its MoC equivalent challenging for long-term players. The enemies change every cycle so we will never outlevel them, they'll just keep making higher level enemies with more annoying abilities and more HP.

I kept up with Spiral Abyss in Genshin way longer than I probably should have because of Mihoyo's obsessive need to keep floor 12 completely agonizing but eventually I just stopped and my engagement with the game got a lot better as a result. The rewards you give up aren't really that much in the long term.

At the end of the day this one specific piece of content lets the mask slip a bit too far for my tastes where it's less about challenging you to complete difficult content with the bench you have, and more about subtle pressure to roll (and spend money) on new meta characters to be remotely successful. I haven't got deep enough into MoC to see if it's going to fall into the same patterns but I expect that it eventually will, and I'll drop it just as fast if the scaling challenges outpace my ability to grab new characters through f2p.

Honestly one of the reasons I'm taking more to Star Rail endgame at the moment is that simulated universe fills a niche of providing a proving grounds for endgame teams without being quite as strict and punishing as MoC and as such I find it a lot more enjoyable.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

I got Bailu from the starter pulls, and then the Harmony LC from standard. I have yet to hit the second pity for standard, but I'm only like 20 off.

I've been keeping my powder dry for pulls so I've only put about 160ish rolls into character banners but won the coin flip both times: Jing Yuan and Silver Wolf. I have about 150 rolls stockpiled right now which I will probably save for Kafka and then another character I know will be dropping 1.3.

One thing I picked up from Genshin (and something others commented on a little while back in this very thread) is that early game pulling a lot for every character banner can be a huge trap because resources are so thin and requirements so high. Getting Silver Wolf alone derailed my progression for a solid 1-2 weeks while I got her kitted out.

Asides from the fact that I have Bailu that's probably the biggest reason I'm going to skip Luocha; even if I luck sacked him next banner what would I even do with him? I have nothing to spare. I'll be lucky to have resources built up for Kafka and she's a month away.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Zurai posted:

Meh. Just spent 120 stamina on the TL60 erudition crimson calyx and got a grand total of 1 purple key from it. Not impressed.

Without the doubt drop event it's still guaranteed to drop 6 blue and 6 green drops which convert to 2.67 keys and it has a random chance to give you more greens or full purples at a decent rate. You average 3-4 each time you throw 60 stamina into a crimson calyx and while the event is active you'll average 7-8.

There's a little rng around the margins but not enough to affect things long term. Any stamina sink which isn't for relics will have a consistent resource return and right now calyx is twice what it normally is, which I appreciate since it'll cut a lot of time getting my second squad up to snuff.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Clarste posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUffI4nAIM

Reminds me how weird it is that her kit doesn't have even a trace of her character-defining mind control powers.

Kafka stop shooting up my museum I put a lot of work into that :mad:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

bitprophet posted:

I noticed the last level of the dungeon event also paired up trial Kafka with trial Asta, but I’m not clear on what the synergy is exactly. Asta’s basic inflicting Burn? Her speed ult (which I don’t entirely grok for Kafka since speed is generally a good buff for everybody)?

Speed is good for everybody but speed is especially good for Kafka because it is a force multiplier to her entire central mechanic. The more turns Kafka takes the more DoT procs she forces.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

Jy's English voice is not very good and that's the only reason I didn't pull him

Counterpoint: JY's english voice is very good, actually, and I had just wrapped up Octopath Traveler 2 and after moving onto the Luofu I discovered he shares a VA with a character from that game. I was quite delighted to discover Oswald had chilled out a lot, lost the beard but kept the hair, and runs a nation now. This was like 60% of the reason I pulled him, 10% I needed a better lightning DPS than serval for SU and 30% the animation of the Stand being so good when it attacks.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Zurai posted:

I believe a Seele rerun was leaked for 1.4 or 1.5. I don't remember which.

It makes a lot of sense to have the Seele rerun in 1.4 because it will be launching alongside the PS5 version, so she will again be serving as the first starter 5-star for any of the new adopters on PS5.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Won my coin flip and walked away with Pela e6 and Lynx e2 which definitely works for me. Even better I finally lucked into a copy of A Secret Vow to stick on Blade.

I'm well positioned for Topaz now although if I don't win the next coin flip it'd jeopardize getting Jingliu as well, and I kind of want both to improve my element coverage. I'll draw on Topaz' banner until I get a 5-star and then re-evaluate.

E: Oh I didn't realize Jing is coming first! Well, still fine.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

So the new event just basically send your characters on assignments? That's it?

Well free jades is free jades, not going to complain about how easy it is.

Swarm SU was supposed to be dropping with Fu Xuan, and once people realized how short the MSQ was this patch they started complaining about how light on content things were. In response, Hoyo moved Swarm up to very early in the patch to give people more to do.

Probably the right call, but unfortunately it just moves the content-light part of the patch from the first half to the second half. That said, I'm nowhere close to being through Swarm and I still enjoy it, so it'll tide me over for another couple weeks.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Kind of unfortunate, since I only really have the roster I do because I keep winning the coinflip and as such I will eventually miss out on people, but that's how it goes. I've been playing Genshin for all of four years now and my roster is way bigger there and can count on three fingers how many times I got a character in less than 75 draws. If anything it makes things easier to plan out long term.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

My good luck/bad luck division continues as I again hit hard pity but also win the coinflip for Jingliu; E6 Tingyun in the process is almost as good a pick considering she finds her way into most of my teams as well.

I'm well positioned for at least one pity run at Topaz or Seele; the plan is to expend all draws here, skip 1.5 since I have SW, and accumulate enough to try for someone in 1.6.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Excelzior posted:

:swoon: jingliu is so cool and graceful and oh my god once I get relics that aren't complete garbage she is going to do so much damage

I threw some halfway decent halfway leveled relics on to her, built out her traces, and in some incidental testing watched her powered up skill do like double Blade's damage from his powered up hit

It's obviously apples to oranges but it was certainly impressive

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Are there going to be more weapons added to that? Once it's exhausted I guess I'll get tickets

I can't imagine they won't add one for each path eventually, which means that we will eventually have 7, and 28 superimposition materials to go with them. If you're going to prioritize getting those LCs over extra draws that's about two years worth of weekly herta bonds accounting for the freebies you get from the very start of SU progression counting from whenever you, personally, started snagging the weekly bonds.

They're fine and there's a use case for each one but I can imagine a lot of cases where over two years you will snag stuff from draws that easily surpasses the herta LCs for most characters. The ambiguity comes from not knowing what, or when, and in what order.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK8qfeSOUv4

Gotta hold for Ruan Mei, I will not roll in 1.5, I will not roll in 1.5, I will not roll in 1.5, I will not roll in-

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

blizzardvizard posted:

Xueyi is a relatively basic DPS, but her Ult inflicts Toughness damage regardless of weakness. She also gains stacks as any ally inflicts Toughness damage and performs a big follow-up attack at max stacks. Not really much to say about her, though I guess she's a budget option for mono-Quantum teams if you don't have Seele?

A critical thing I noted in her kit is a passive trace that will increase her damage dealt by 100% of her break effect, up to 240%. All her attacks already scale with ATK, but not to that high amounts, encouraging you to build her with as much break effect as possible.

She has a very strong identity because of this as We Have Break Effect Silver Wolf At Home, since her ult can proc a quantum break even on things not vulnerable to quantum and that disassociation hit will be huge with that much break effect.

I'm kind of interested in it, honestly, because I've won a lot of fights by having SW piledrive an enemy's action down into the abyss with a huge hit of damage when they finally crawl back out. Having a second character who could do that will make for some interesting two-team comps going forward.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

I just read the most recent leaks for Ruan Mei's updated kit three times over because I was convinced I couldn't be reading it right

The sheer number of steroids she pumps into your party by just existing is unreal

I spent like 10 minutes going over it in chat with a friend who plays and just as we had concluded "drat, she's pretty cracked" I realized we had fixated on her skill changes and straight up forgot she has an ultimate too

E: I found her light cone, even Bronya's LC doesn't have the balls to just go "did you stack break effect on this break effect character? Great, 1 free SP every ultimate cast, have at it sport!"

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 30, 2023

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

That's Raiden Mei for sure at the end of that trailer which means I just dumpstered all my carefully planned out draw plans and am back to square one of "f5 the leaks reddit until someone tells me if she's 2.0 or 2.1"

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

All these Harmony characters have different use cases and team comps to take full advantage of what they can do.

Hanya wants to run with very, very SP-hungry teams, teams where damage directly scales up with how much SP you can chomp on at once. DanIL and QQ, basically, but I can't imagine this won't be an idea space they iterate on with later characters. A team where getting all the supporting effects online takes awhile and eats all the SP would also benefit (like, say, having to roll Silver Wolf's E a few times to get the correct debuff up).

Bronya is the undisputed queen of single-target buffing which has an outsize effect on her value because so much of teambuilding meta currently revolves around a Hypercarry: bring one of those, a buffer to make them hit harder, a debuffer to make the enemies get hit harder, and a sustain to keep them all alive, and you're done. No one will beat her at this because anything better than "your carry moves twice a turn" would crack the game in half.

Tingyun is We Have Bronya At Home in most cases where if you're running a carry the fact that she is just single-target buffing is still very valuable. Her ability to straight up give ult energy is also design space few other characters have - Jingliu can usually get 1-2 extra turns in her buffed state if you bring Ting as well.

Ruan Mei is like an inverse Bronya because her kit is strong buffs for everyone. She is going to shine in situations where you aren't running a hypercarry. She's a buffer and a debuffer, and if you have a team comp where her buffs and debuffs are enough, you can run two beefy damage dealers and maybe a sustain and call it good. This opens up far more team building options then just building into one damage dealer. It is worth consideration that one of the reasons hypercarries became so popular is that there's way less resources needed to build up one good DPS character instead of two, so Mei will be far more useful in older established accounts with more filled out benches.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

The battle pass is fine because I've never had a problem snagging everything available in a week just playing the game like I normally do and using up my energy every day.

The most egregious thing the BP has ever asked of me is to go do stagnant shadow when I have no characters I want to uncap. Otherwise everything just solves itself, and I've hit cap every patch without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Excelzior posted:

it's literally her job as a Judge of the Ten-Lords commission; they make sure none of the long-lived species commit one of the 10 Unpardonable Sins (that pretty much all amount to standard capital offenses plus "trying to become actually immortal")

Sowing Discord
Incitement to Riot

I remember raising an eyebrow as I went down the list of atrocities in the lore book in question and got to these two; a fun reminder that no matter how nice the Luofu looks and how expansive the culture it's still an authoritarian military-run regime with a general running the whole ship and a grand marshal running the whole fleet

E: Actually to expand on that point a bit I like it mostly because a lot of early Luofu stuff was a fair bit more morally ambiguous about their whole deal; I think a lot about how the ultimate revelation of Yukong's story is her best friend dies in a war they are losing, ultimately won by Lan flying past and obliterating everything on the way to somewhere else. It highlights the futility of the entire forever war Xianzhou culture remains built around and this was a good reminder that yeah it's still rough in many ways to be part of the immortal battle fleet

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 7, 2024