Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
whenever i see Amol Rajan i just think about how he made up an award for essays, named it after Bertrand Russell, and then gave it to JK Rowling for her brave and insightful blogpost about being a terf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

"You're gonna need a bigot boat"

where's bob geldof's flotilla when you need it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I love wikipedia things like "at the time" being used to mean "right this second"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

I understand what fiscal responsibility means for someone like me but have no idea what it means for something like the U.K. government. Obviously countries operate so differently to a domestic budget that I don't know how you'd classify a "fiscally responsible" budget.

- satisfy your donors
- don't make anyone who edits a newspaper mad

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol did he? Was he "just asking questions"

I saw flaps' twitter after his SA ban (but before his twitter ban) and he had gone full-on mask-off transphobe. iirc in the Pissflexit Referendum someone dug up some "banter" he had done about trans people in the football forum so yeah I think he was always like that but valued his access to corbynistas to troll too much to get banned about it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Did anyone else ever confirm the existence of boris' cardboard buses or was it just to get his bus scandal off of google

Why isnt every journalist tracking down all possible leads for this important question

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1670545643390091267

if only questioning my gender got me out of sports i'd have started it a lot sooner

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

if you can prove you were going to a picnic then you are fine

what proof of picnic do they accept

also what proof of picnic do they accept if you're not white

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

putting the benefits office right next to the airport arrivals terminal was a strange move, admittedly

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol, I could build a deluxe version of that exact size shed in my garden for less than a tenth of that price (wiring and plumbing included)

yes, but could you convince a desperate student with a relatively high likelihood of access to mum and dad's cash to pay exorbitant rent on it

i assume the rental market in st andrews hasn't gotten any less ridiculous over the past ten years

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Famously unbusy profession Therapy. There's no huge backlog for mental healthcare in this country at all. They can pick up some shifts pulling teeth, for a laugh.

Look we all know mental health is fake and any passing malaise can be dealt with by some good quality coke or a nice week at the family country house

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I'm very glad we decided against naming our daughter Keira eight years ago, clearly a cursed name now (apologies to any Keirs or Keiras who aren't shits)

should have called her Kira after the bajoran war hero, a name that will live on forever

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

We must secure the existence of gas boilers and a future for cis children

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How do you make that determination? What figures are you using?

Do you really need a detailed cited mathematical analysis for the radical wild claim of buses being better for emissions per person than cars

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

couple of things particularly sticking in my craw about Dodd's shitey trans column

quote:

However, the law must also protect legitimate applications. Last year, the Scottish National party’s cavalier approach to reforming gender recognition laws seemed to be more about picking a fight with Westminster than bringing about meaningful change. The safeguards that were proposed to protect women and girls from predators who might abuse the system were simply not up to scratch. As a result, the Scottish government is still picking up the pieces, with trans rights no further forward.

this can gently caress off, for a start. "cavalier" is taking several years to drag their feet and eventually come up with a watered-down version of a policy already working fine in other countries and that Scottish Labour loving voted for, but yes the Tories are the ones exploiting the "controversy" for political purposes and ignoring trans people

quote:

We will not make the same mistakes. The requirement to obtain a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria remains an important part of accessing a gender recognition certificate. That’s especially the case now that gender dysphoria is no longer classified – and stigmatised – as a psychiatric disorder. It can help refer trans people into the NHS for support services – nearly a quarter of trans people don’t know how to access transition-related healthcare. Requiring a diagnosis upholds legitimacy of applications and confidence in the system.

This is just baffling though. How much of the trans people not knowing how to access transition-related healthcare is down to it barely loving existing rather than the convenience of having to jump through whatever medical hoops your GP decides is appropriate for a piece of paper that most trans people haven't bothered to apply for. Also love the declaration that a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria no longer being specifically a psychiatric disorder means it's totally fine to use it to gatekeep transition now. Thanks, Cis Person! you've solved trans forever. there was no need to speak to a single trans person about this

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

sorry one constituency is full of tories so the environment doesn't exist anymore. who can really say this "antarctica" place really ever existed. have you been there

Guavanaut posted:

It's weird that there's a whole (bad) section of Twitter that's decided that he's a super trans rights activist at the same time that Labour have decided to poo poo their pants on any commitment to trans rights too.

Almost as if the homophobes are mad and larger Kieth did some tactical bus throwing.

it's the old great scheme of "if we just water down trans right a little bit more all the terfs will get on side". they have repeatedly said they aren't transphobic and have reasonable concerns so this will go fine.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i'm sure the answer is complicated so dont bother

can you put this at the end of all your posts from now on it would save us all a lot of time

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The Guardian posted:

Starmer suggests Labour changed its trans policy in light of what happened to Scotland's gender recognition bill

Campbell reads out some questions on trans issues. What is a woman? What is your policy on trans rights? Why do we ask what is a woman, but not what is a man?

Q: Why did you announce the new policy in an article in the Guardian?

Starmer says a woman is an adult female?

He says there was a byelection last week. Then there was a national policy forum meeting. They agreed a range of policy. On trans, they had a chance to reflect on what happened in Scotland.

(Labour announced a new policy; it no longer favours self-recognition for trans people wanting to transition.)

Q: Scottish Labour does not agree with the new policy. It still supports self-ID.

Starmer says he does not agree with that. He wants to modernise the process of applying for a gender recognition certificate. But he wants to keep it a medical process.

And he believes in the importance of safe spaces for women.

Q: Are you saying trans women are a threat?

Starmer says it is more about having a space where biological women can feel safe.

Q: Why wouldn’t they be safe with trans women there?

Starmer says the Scottish prisoner case, Isla Bryson, illustrates why.

Q: Are you saying there are a lot of cases like that?

No, says Starmer, but he is saying safe spaces are important.

UPDATE: Starmer said:

Firstly, a woman is an adult female, so let’s clear that one up …

We don’t think that self-identification is the right way forward. We’ve reflected on what happened in Scotland …

We’ve set out that we want to modernise the process, get rid of some of the indignities in the process, keep it a medical process.

We’ve always said, I’ve continued to say, and Sunday, when we completed our policy forum, allowed us to be clear that there should be safe places, safe spaces, for women, particularly in relation to violence against women and girls.

where do you even start with this. go eat poo poo

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

elon's brain genius will save us all. he only spends 23 hours of his day getting mad people don't think he is cool online. the last hour is spent sending us all to mars, baby

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Can we have the giant North sea Slater as the prime minister?

Would be nice but I don't think the scottish greens will get that many seats in westminster

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

where is the tv series showing a cop breaking apart the seedy world of underground tuck shops

e: want to feel old? £367 is the price of two freddos

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Crystal Thenis posted:

it’s harsh but the old ways just don’t have any place in our society.

they should be given all the help in the world to settle down and make roots within the UK, but the roaming gang thing just needs to end. they always have the continent and beyond for that.

Yes they can move to famed paradise of acceptance for GRT communities, continental europe

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Maximum Pepsi posted:

fs don't dress it up like THIS or THAT. alot of grt are theving scum who will steal the lead of of your church roof.

Crime rates are also high among black people. And indeed many minority groups. Most of which do in fact have homes attached to the ground! Why do you think that might be

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Crystal Thenis posted:

why should they not?

Answer the question

Or indeed answer any question anyone has put to you rather than just moaning about how everyone is being mean to you

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i'm sure if we were all nice and polite to this guy and didn't call him any rude words like "tory" he would surely engage with any of the 20 points people have made in between calling him that. it might only take two or three attempts to get him to answer a single question rather than like ten and counting

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

DreddyMatt posted:

If you refuse to take that up, then we start applying laws that already exist for the rest of our society to that community.

do you... do you think the GRT community is impervious to arrest? do you think policemen try to approach them and they get repelled by a magical forcefield

DreddyMatt posted:

Not giving your children an education? Then I'm afraid you lose those children and they get adopted out. You have a responsibility to those kids and your desire to live free on the road isn't as important as giving them that education and health care

i'm sure the lack of access to education and health care is just down to choice of the parents and not down to society making it specifically difficult. also, why should you need a permanent address to have access to education and health care?

DreddyMatt posted:

Not got a permanent address? Then your car insurance is probably not gonna be valid.

why should you need a permanent address to have car insurance?

DreddyMatt posted:

Ripping up fences / gateposts and parking on sports fields? That's an arrest or fine. Same for fly tipping

Cash in hand work and tax avoidance? Like we've got laws against that too.
see question above re: magic forcefields

DreddyMatt posted:

It's poo poo, nobody asked for this society, but you can't just choose to opt out and also expect special privileges.

what special privileges? being treated like poo poo?

also what if i told you... that society... could be changed

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Crystal Thenis posted:

you mean my post about the literal definition of the word assimilation?

"words have definitions, not feelings"

words absolutely have feelings, they're called connotations. did you know sometimes words can be used to evoke emotions beyond their literal meaning. did you know sometimes this can be used for political purposes. have you heard of the study of language

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Crystal Thenis posted:

the process of becoming a part, or making someone become a part, of a group, country, society, etc.:
The assimilation of ethnic Germans in the US was accelerated by the two world wars.

oh well if it happened in the US then it can't be racist

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

the Borg were scary just because they looked weird and were robots. when they said "You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile." it was fine actually, there was nothing disturbing about that part. it was completely neutral language

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

there are definitely solutions to improving access to education and healthcare for the children that don't involve forcing them into ghettos government mandated housing schemes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Crystal Thenis posted:

show me where i said those things

the locking up and having children removed was the other dickhead, Crystal Thenis merely said action for those who do not cooperate "for those with the power to decide ". so if the government decides to do that i guess you'll be fine with it given you didn't give any other more detailed response to that question you were asked multiple times

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Crystal Thenis posted:

dictionary definitions are now fascism OK

...there's lots of words describing bad things in the dictionary? there's a lot of words there

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Crystal Thenis posted:

if you have such a fierce objection to what Labour are proposing, the next few years are going to be misery

yes we've already come to that conclusion ourselves, thanks

when you get banned you can tend to your wounds of not being allowed to post on one specific dead gay forum with the comforting fact that endless misery will almost certainly be forced upon those you hate and refuse to try to understand.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Crystal Thenis posted:

technology is only going to make things worse, this isn’t going backwards my guy.

what the everloving gently caress are you blathering on about

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i long for the return of the stig guy. he was fun

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I think having the occasional new dickhead to argue with until they get themselves banned is fine from time to time. Bit of fun, keeps us fresh

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

My personal experience with people named Greg has been terrible. start rounding them up

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I think the occasional bout of arguing with dickheads isn't too much of a problem, if only to show how little these people give a poo poo about actually engaging in arguments, but with the level of racism coming out of them this time I do think they should have been banned/probated for their posts a bit sooner

and by "a bit sooner" I mean, at all

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"if you let me speak-"
"speak. defend it."
[she begins to speak for a few words until he cuts out what she says]

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I once cured a nazi with the power of love alone. The trick is to show you accept them together with their opinions and actions or they just won't listen to you. Deep down, were all human and deserve to be accepted along with the consequences of our actions and how we practise our beliefs

and then when their guard is down you sock them in the jaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

love how the radical leftist thought that deserves banishment to the corner and not even the basic dignity of being looked at is that labour would do a much better job of deporting people