Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Lister posted:

The task to complete 10 tree of whispers is bugged in our favor. You dropping the box and picking it back up counts as a turn in. Jump on that one while you can since a hotfix tomorrow seems likely.

TOO MUCH FUN DETECTED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

lol and lmao. who's actually competent that's left?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

bus hustler posted:

When the Microsoft purchase is complete their OneDrive will automatically begin syncing

:perfect: reading this thread has been better than playing the season...

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Morbus posted:

cursed genie rear end battlepass

i am not surprised at all that the blessings don't work since so much other stuff doesn't work.

mcbexx posted:

I'm bad at math, what's the problem here?

exactly my point.

it's crazy because the first leveling part is ok, and then the game just stalls itself out. then you're fully exposed to how terrible and buggy everything is when trying to "push content" aka nightmare dungeons while trying to replace one piece of gear at a time to get 1% more vuln. dmg until they nerf that again as well.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

VanillaGorilla posted:

Blizzard’s greatest fear is that you will *Finish The Content* and stop logging in until the next season and that will lead to a decline in MAUs that will cause people to Yell At Them.

To combat this they strive to make Finishing The Content as laborious a chore as they can, because much of their philosophy is grounded in the assumption that you won’t leave no matter how bad it gets, because alternative just aren’t Diablo.

It’s the abuser’s philosophy of game design, basically.

yep, pretty much this.

harrygomm posted:

drat yall really think like this?

it's been like this for a while now, esp. in wow. make things as annoying and tedious as possible (the game just isn't as broke with jank rear end code as diablo), because they need people to stay subbed, logged in, and grinding. wouldn't put it past them to try to expand this model to every other franchise they have because it's been going downhill for quite a while now.

blizz stopped reporting number in 2015 because they were so bad, so everything after on here is from other sources / estimates. all they report now is total mau across everything (overwatch, starcraft, diablo, hearthstone, wow, etc.) since that's an easier way to try to keep the number up.

The Grumbles posted:

For a lot of the big developers, time played is the main KPI. Especially games with a real money shop/battle pass, of how time played relates to how likely you are to buy something.

IMO this kind of thinking is a real mismatch for a game like Diablo, which is light and arcadey and one that over its long tail you might pop into here and there to check out the new seasonal stuff, listen a podcast and blow up some skeletons. I think Diablo 3 eventually got that balance right.
The whole aggressive player retention model is also bad for this kinda game because so much of the joy of the Diablo series is how previous games let you feel like you've broken the game to your advantage (admittedly I think the new season's gems are pretty good at making you feel this way!). This is why people love Vampire Survivors so much.

But its why people are getting anxious about Blizzard potentially doing more to take the fun away from the game, because they need players to slow down so they bother to buy more stuff.

bingo.

----

they could've easily made stuff like renown and waypoints carry over, but instead we get "more content" and timesinks to make things drag on because who doesn't love rep grinding the same quests over and over again?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

drat yall really think like this???

sorry to bum you out, but it's not just us. straight from activision's annual reporting:

quote:

The increase in in-game net bookings for the year ended December 31, 2022, as compared to the year ended December 31, 2021, was primarily due to:
• a $481 million increase in Blizzard in-game net bookings, driven by in-game net bookings from (1) Diablo Immortal and (2) Overwatch 2; and
• a $163 million increase in King in-game net bookings, driven by the Candy Crush franchise.
We monitor monthly active users (“MAUs”) as a key measure of the overall size of our user base. MAUs are the number of individuals who accessed a particular game in a given month.
We consider a variety of data points when determining the estimated service period for players of our games, including the weighted average number of days between players’ unique purchase or first day played online, and the time at which players become inactive and cease engaging with our content for a period of time.... Additionally, in the fourth quarter of 2022, the Company completed its annual assessment of the estimated service periods for players of our games. We have noted that players who purchase in-game content are playing certain of our titles, notably those in our Call of Duty and World of Warcraft offerings, for longer periods of time than in prior years as they engage with services we provide that are designed to enhance and extend gameplay. As such, we have concluded that the estimated service period for in-game revenues from such games has lengthened by approximately three months.

they're basically trying to replicate this across everything. more $30 skins, more battlepasses, more time spent logging in for everyone, every day.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

good lord, hardcore is really dead. other than martian/nozh is there anyone here who even plays HC

i am, but very casually. can't be bothered to do more than a dungeon or a few events every now and then, it feels very meh and tedious.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Patch of the year.

quote:

Fixed an issue where the speed increase from the Spur skill while mounted was slower on Controller than Keyboard and Mouse.

quote:

Fixed an issue where continuously enchanting an item could result in having the same stat show repeatedly in subsequent re-rolls.

yea those def. happened to me.... got an item up to like 20mm+ in rerolls and still couldn't get it to roll right.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

if they just made this an option officially, it would instantly improve the game. having to relevel, redo quests, renown, waypoints, etc. is pretty awful.

harrygomm posted:

exploit early exploit often

the one true mantra benefiting blizzard players for decades now... every game, every patch, is just another opportunity to take advantage of the bad coding. instead of making it better for everyone later on, just make it worse.

Last King fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 3, 2023

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

ClydeFrog posted:

If transferring your character gets you banned and they are looking for it, then it's going to be a simple thing for them to find. I assure you no one is "wasting dev hours". Someone will just run a report looking for characters created pre S1 in the S1 environment based on a datestamp or something equally trivial and forward the spreadsheet to the banhammer room.

It seems like a dumb thing to do to avoid some irksome yet rather trivial renown.

Also, there's got to be a team entirely dedicated to finding and banning people that violate ToS. They'll have shiny little targets to hit.

cyberbulling is a two-way street.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

you know good ol' bobby k was dialing up everyone as soon as he saw this. prolly printing it out and framing it too. maybe they'll give nft copies out as spot bonuses to everyone to reward the hard work they've done!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I saw the play-with-a-dev diablo 4 video blizzard put out yesterday... and uh, it does explain a fair bit, and not in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-G3j00RQ1U

lol playing with a controller on world tier one, level fifty, and still can't even do a dungeon. gotta love it when they claim that those working on the game play the game "a lot" internally and live - yep, this video really showed us!

Last King fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 13, 2023

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Overwatch is almost literally corporate art: the video game

it is kinda funny that the game's only been out a few days on steam and already it's basically one of the worst rated steam games ever?

Last King fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 13, 2023

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The problem is they pretty much only listened to the E-SPORTS part of the community after a while, which turned the game into a janky shield/stun/chokepoint fest for the rest of the population.

funny you should say that, blizzard now wants to pay teams $6mm each to literally stop playing overwatch.

https://esportsinsider.com/2023/07/...ch%20franchise.

all in all, they're willing to spend up to $114mm to just get rid of the entire league which really goes to show you how they think about things.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

some AAA studio devs telling the masses that actually, better things aren't possible, and that you shouldn't expect another game like it for at least a decade.

basically this

which is loving hilarious.

it is our fault for rewarding their bad behavior and ideas by giving them our money, regardless of the terrible design decisions and awful tedium but it's great to see games like bg3 shine while all these bad companies and teams gnash their teeth at how well the game has been received by the wider gaming community. d4 only had a team of 9k+ working over 6+ years to get d4 "released" and even then, it'll likely take years to finally "finish" it while folks will still be paying them for $30 skins, $10 battle passes, etc. like clockwork.

I'll prolly come back and check d4 out again after some time but right now, this seasonal poo poo ain't it.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

El Generico posted:

BG3 also got tons of time in Early Access, if that's what lets these devs get the trickle in funding necessary to spend their time to make great games I'm all for it, my love and support to the people buying these games in EA though cause I aint gonna

hate to burst the ol' bubble but blizzard got us all to pay $70+ to early access test d4 for them and it's still not going to be a finished game for a long rear end time... just cause it's not labeled early access doesn't mean it isn't.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe
just gonna leave this gem here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auuj8xKw-Lc

one step closer to new world levels of coding. how long until the next dupe is discovered?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe
hmmm patch dropped? let me download and check it ou----

how desperate is blizzard to try to sell more crap? first thing i see when i log in... no i don't want to buy your lovely skins.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is any game we don't like early access now? It has lost meaning.
The vast majority of games release with way less content or with systems we don't like. Not an apologist, just a realist. People are quick to use trendy terms of the day

yes, a lot of games are releasing as early access - even if they don't call it that. they have a lot less content, a number of systems not working / cut out, and people still buy them.

if this game isn't a shining textbook example of one, i don't know what is. about the only thing that has worked since "release" without any errors is the real money shop.

i'll prolly check it out again after a lot of time has passed and they maybe? hopefully? fixed a bunch of stuff which includes the real lovely itemization. right now, there's just better things to play honestly.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Martian Manfucker posted:

I have to believe that people who don't think that the current drop rate of uber uniques isn't awful must not truly understand just how rare these things are.

Based on data mining you can expect to see 400,000+ Temerity pants drop for yourself before you ever see a single uber unique. You could play until the end of your life and never see one. I wouldn't be surprised if the special season 1 uber unique doesn't even drop for anyone before season 2 starts.

It's stupid and pointless.

it's an uncurable condition called arpg brain worms. if you happen to be inflicted with this disease, you'll start to look at all of the unnecessary tedium and time wasting as content, where the horrible drop rates and terrible itemization become a good thing and give you goals to work towards.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe
i posted a brief snippet from their filings a while back but sure here you go since you can't seem to remember:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

drat yall really think like this???

Last King posted:

sorry to bum you out, but it's not just us. straight from activision's annual reporting:

quote:

The increase in in-game net bookings for the year ended December 31, 2022, as compared to the year ended December 31, 2021, was primarily due to:
• a $481 million increase in Blizzard in-game net bookings, driven by in-game net bookings from (1) Diablo Immortal and (2) Overwatch 2; and
• a $163 million increase in King in-game net bookings, driven by the Candy Crush franchise.
We monitor monthly active users (“MAUs”) as a key measure of the overall size of our user base. MAUs are the number of individuals who accessed a particular game in a given month.
We consider a variety of data points when determining the estimated service period for players of our games, including the weighted average number of days between players’ unique purchase or first day played online, and the time at which players become inactive and cease engaging with our content for a period of time.... Additionally, in the fourth quarter of 2022, the Company completed its annual assessment of the estimated service periods for players of our games. We have noted that players who purchase in-game content are playing certain of our titles, notably those in our Call of Duty and World of Warcraft offerings, for longer periods of time than in prior years as they engage with services we provide that are designed to enhance and extend gameplay. As such, we have concluded that the estimated service period for in-game revenues from such games has lengthened by approximately three months.

they're basically trying to replicate this across everything. more $30 skins, more battlepasses, more time spent logging in for everyone, every day.

yes they basically want everyone to log in, every day, and are trying to turn diablo into another wow / cod type game service.

in case you want some examples of the inspiration they're drawing from:

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

chird posted:

Game is now 22-25% off till Sep 4.

lol you think bobby k's yacht is gonna fuel itself? daddy needs a new teak deck and trim to match! no. bad. quarters. allowed.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yeep posted:

I bought this on sale this week and it's causing my PC to hard reset at random between 0 and 20 minutes into a game. This is the only game this happens in, my PC doesn't have any issues running a whole bunch of stress tests, and the server slam build was fine. Google gives me a bunch of people complaining about this from 3 months ago and some unhelpful suggestions ranging from uninstalling the high-res resource pack or running everything at lowest detail right up to buying a completely new PC but nothing definitive and nothing at all from Blizzard. Has everyone with this problem just given up?

while i was playing i'd usually get ctds multiple times a day (even if i only had d4 running) which made hc even spicier :smith: i didn't have the high res pack and did try running everything at the lowest settings but nothing would work. i lost a few hc characters this way, and eventually gave up trying to do hc - something is funky with the way this game is coded. haven't ever had an issue with any other game, even ones unoptimized as badly as tarkov so no way i'm getting a new pc just to play this game.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

5er posted:

I suspect by now you have learned that no, you absolutely did not leave D4 for something actually good.

i dunno, ac6 has been pretty drat good for me.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

I'd do a, like, 20, 25 dollar expansion. If they want full price for a new game every year I'll load up on corn-on-the-cob and they can eat the kernels from my rear end.

there's no way they're charging less than $69.99 for this. and you also know they're going to have multiple editions, going all the way up to $99.99 just like the original release because people are stupid and can't help themselves. they've got the data and they know people will just keep buying this crap.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

If they fix the loot and the endgame I think they have a game here

hmmm... HMMM.... maybe in 2024 we'll finally have some good bones and THEN we'll truly get the d4 that we've all been waiting for.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

So is the game worth getting now at the price it's at? Also, is the spoopy vampire stuff sticking around after this season? Because it seems like it's done a lot to make the game more enjoyable for people.

well they suckered us into alpha testing it on "release". now, they're beta testing on steam... once ms has finished all of their streamlining from a corporate m&a perspective, we might finally get a real update / release in 2024?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Shame about the rolls

the itemization in this game is still absolute dogwater.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kaysette posted:

this image is old but it made me realize just how many near useless affixes there really are

some of those in the last three columns are now actually good but you could remove like half of those

ah yes, part of the blizzard "secret sauce" that makes their game so good aka stretching out the content...

what an absolute poo poo list - it should be 1/4 of this so much random, useless, pointless crap.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

Is Diablo 4 good now?

not yet. it's in beta testing but with the release on steam and the combined merger with microsoft, hopefully there will be enough data to get these "good bones" into shape sometime in 2024. after a lot more seasons and patches, the game will probably be in a good place (2025ish?) just in time for poe2 to come out and immediately put this entire franchise to shame.

afterwards, someone somewhere will come up with completely ~new~ and ~~aMaZiNg~~ mechanics for the expansion that will not be tested or well thought out so once that is released, the game will go back into an alpha state and we'll need to beta test the problems out over the next couple of years until another expac is released, with more broken, non-working, and non-tested stuff again. this will repeat until d5 comes out and the team at that time, never having learned any lessons or leveraged the of decades of experience / prior releases from other blizzard games, will undoubtedly try to create something again from scratch only for it to also be "released" as a live service where we'll likely be shelling out upwards of $100 then to beta test it and so on and so forth. hence, the neverending blizzard circle of game design.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hemomancy my friend. I was stacking Overpower to go with Death Blow and Overpower is better with more health; more health makes Hemomancy nuts. I can post more about my build that is nuking everything I look at tomorrow if people want, Barb is nuts this season.

post it!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

An entire expansion about this thread.

New class: Templar, like paladin but not.

a conquistador if you will.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

Do any of the developers play this game and understand how stupid any of these decisions are? Like getting a bunch of blood at the end of the journey when you haven't needed it forever? It's mind boggling. Granted, if I worked 40+ hours per week on a game the last thing I'd want to do is play it in my free time. Still, talk with content creators about this stuff or I dunno, think critcally.

if you're on the goon discord, i brought up this up a lot earlier in the development (lol) as so much poo poo was tedious, not working / worth the time, etc.

a goon who supposedly works on d4 condescendingly responded that why yes the devs spend a ton of time playing this game and promptly dismissed my comment. so apparently they do? but are too dumb / bad to fix these poor decisions and design choices? as some of their recent videos have shown, basic math is really hard (along with qa reviewing) so asking them to create more thoughtful seasonal rewards is probably a pretty tall order. but the game is becoming more fun so at least we have that in the meantime.

counterpoint, considering how blizzcon went, looks like things will (hopefully) continue improving until next year when we get charged $99 for a new expansion, everything breaks again, and we go back to square one, an alpha test (because lets be honest no one's testing any of this poo poo).

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I took a few months off and just hopped into Season 2. Holy cow they've made some outstanding improvements to basically every aspect of the game. Good poo poo

I dunno if there's much of a reason to hand over tenbux for the season but that's a good problem to have, IMHO

Wegovy the Cutting Glutton is my first time on a necromancer and it's real fun

save your $10 and put that towards the $70+ expac instead.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Helltides continue to suck

and it's gonna continue being that way because they can't be bothered to do the helltide farming loop. if they were forced to do the grind from scratch using a fresh character and actually completed the season journey, they'd know instantly how poo poo it is.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

you left out the best parts of his quotes: "...while holding the Blizzard quality bar high.", "...it takes large teams to be able to deliver that. So you have to monetize it in the right ways.", and "When someone spends one dollar or a penny with Blizzard, I want them to feel good after they do that.".

I think you meant $70 or $100 there Mike... nothing you guys have offered has even been close to $1. And after all the poo poo they pulled and with the more recent flops, pretty sure the bar is set nice and low (six feet under the ground).

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

harrygomm posted:

i wanted to see how much of my life i’ve wasted too but the d4armory site has decided i don’t exist so i guess it’s for the best

that is prolly for the better. if you could find out, i suspect people would play even less.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shyfted One posted:

Welp, looks like Free to Play just means you can download 90GB to play a demo of D4. Level 20 is the cap, which is barely touching the surface of the full game.

yikes that's pretty bad. would not surprise me if they just reloaded the exact same build and everything else from the beta.

why even put in a cap since it's time based?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

great big cardboard tube posted:

I played a lot on launch, left hoping for improvements, came back last week. All of the QOL poo poo they've done, and is a lot, is nice and should have been there from the start. I had fun for a bit and I feel like progress is around where it should be to get to the point where you're playing the game which traditionally for an ARPG is the end game.

Why are the Uber bosses a joke? And if they're going to be a joke why gate them so hard, and where is the challenge meant to be that we need their gear for? totally done for now again after my first duriel melted in idk 1.5s after I spent factorials more time farming mats to summon him

they have to gate them because that's what people are farming to try to get ubers (i.e. shako, grandfather, etc.). it would be a lot better if they just let people do runs without requiring mats, but they've gotta keep those annoying rear end timesinks in which is hilarious since some people are saying this is the game for casuals.

imagine having to spend your limited time in the evenings first farming for random rear end varshan parts from whisper events (then doing varshan runs for eggs only after you've managed to collect enough), then also waiting for timed helltide events to get cinders to open enough chests for living steel (then also having to do grig runs for shards, once again only after you've managed to collect enough), and then finally getting to do a duriel run at a chance for guaranteed 925 loot and the super low roll uber chance (with the fight literally over as quickly as 10? 15? secs. if you're a hota barb). afterwards you get to sort through useless 925s (given how many stupid affixes they put in to bloat the loot table), and sell another useless soulbrand, flickerstep, corroded signet, etc.

when all is said and done, if you're lucky with good gear, good rng, and if there's a helltide up during your play session, you're talking a couple hours worth of work to get two chances at duriel loot (assuming your helltide is timed properly with the top of the hour resets to get four living steel chests, and you get exactly all eight of the varshan parts needed without wasted repeats from completing whispers for four varshan runs). that's why everyone is stacking up groups to do duriel rotations so they can get up to 4x the chances per set of summon mats instead.

once you've got great gear though, it's actually more enjoyable to play the game which is ironic because they are really actively trying to not give you good loot and waste your time. you basically can then reliably smash through stuff and farming becomes easier (still boring and stupid that you have to grind for mats).

the above doesn't include leveling your glyphs, which is still really slow and painful. you really need these to get your build to work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

Are any of the goon guilds active for doing duriel runs and whatnot? The one I'm in is very much dead it would seem.

def. are some folks who are doing this on seasons, eternal not so much minus myself i think at this point.