Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Am I better off maxing out puncture and twisting blades at their base skills or branching out to have like 1 in all the build i want to make and then buffing it from there?
I've found that maxing out my primary spender feels better than putting single points into passives, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
"Investigating reports of issues" is a pretty hilarious phrase. As if they have to look into the idea that the servers might be making GBS threads themselves.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Protip: Dude's name is Jay Wilson.

I said come in! posted:

But wait, the person I quoted said the points wont carry over. I am so confused now lol. May I please have an official source? I couldn't find anything on Google. And what I mean is, what I do pre-season, as in right now, does that renown, and lilith bonuses, carry over in season 1?
If you look at the renown rewards screen, it spells out that the skill point and potion rewards are given to all characters immediately while the gold rewards require each individual character to acquire the renown.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I went with a firewall sorc, and I'm in my 30s. My build is basically done, and there aren't any transformative legendaries or uniques for the spec. I'm trying to figure out what I have to look forward to in the endgame, because it just kinda seems like I'm supposed to play almost literally the same thing for the next 80 hours or so?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
There's a loading screen tip that literally says "Direct damage is any damage that is not damage over time." Thanks, that clears that right up!

Radical posted:

ice shards has a lot of variations you can do based on what gear you have, maybe try that.
Does it feel bad without the mana regen Aspect from Hawezar? I'm pretty far away from there, currently. Also might be a pain in general to switch, given my gear is all slanted toward fire and DoT damage right now...

rap music posted:

farm gear for a different build cuz that sounds boring as gently caress!

arc lash spanks lillith's bare bottom HARD

i'm teleporting around non stop and sending huge packs of elites straight back to hell in a split second
Is the cooldown on Unstable Currents not a huge drag while leveling? Even Inferno's much shorter one seems a bit much at times. And how do you deal with bosses? I had Arc Lash in my build for a while, but getting close to bosses and the occasional elite was mostly just suicide so I switched it out for Spark.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
...why were there things that couldn't drop uniques?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
You can start the storyline of the season immediately! How novel!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Oh this is just that D3 season with the Prime/Lesser evil gems.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Why not have waypoints also be perma-unlock? Or at least the non-stronghold ones?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I really, really like that they've sold these new seasonal gem thingies as super powerful! and build defining! and then the one single one that they chose to show us is lame as gently caress.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Mailer posted:

Game devs are basically Samus - every new game all previous knowledge is lost and they have to do all the bad things again.
You know, they kept saying "oh, the game's only been out a month, give us a break" as though that somehow excuses them from ignoring a decade of learning from D3 and PoE. To say nothing of learning from D2.

Maybe they had to rush the game out because reasons or whatever, but it's still a lovely excuse and they shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Scoss posted:

I don't know if they explicitly said that they were not planning on keeping the malignant heart whatever stuff past season 1 or if that was just something that people are intuiting, but I think it would be a big mistake for them to design season content without intent to retain the successful mechanics permanently. PoE's myriad problems with new player retention go far beyond how seasonal mechanics are presented and D4 need not step in the same exact potholes if they try to make content permanent as well.
It's explicitly spelled out on the website. When seasonal characters return to the Eternal realm, they will be doing so without the seasonal crap:

"Once the Season has ended, the character you made and its progress will be transferred to the Eternal Realm. All items you collected, including in your Seasonal stash, will be transferred too. You can take this character into Sanctuary whenever you please, but Season-specific features such as Malignant Hearts will no longer be accessible."

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tonetta posted:

not sure if this has been answered yet but the way luck works from my understanding is that each skill has a lucky hit % that is unchanging, and that all your lucky hit on gear/skill tree is additive to your lucky hit procs, and you need to hit both to get a lucky hit. to get an accurate lucky hit chance you'll have to take the lucky hit proc you want, add your lucky hit bonuses, then multiply it by the lucky hit chance of the skill you're using.
Lucky hit from gear and whatnot is additive to itself, and multiplicative to the final chance.

So the math is (lucky hit of proc) x (lucky hit of skill) x (sum of lucky hit from gear etc).

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
TBH I really struggle to see how D4 builds are any different from D3 builds. Instead of using six set pieces that say "you do 10000% more damage" I'm using six aspects that each say "you do ~30% more damage".

How do you build a D3 wizard? Spender, teleport, armor, magic weapon, buff skill, support skill/misc.
How do you build a D4 sorc? All four defensive skills, spender, meteor/ult/misc.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
My favourite unique is the sorc fireball gloves that turn it into a bouncing ball... and reduce its damage by 60-70%.

The actual effect is pretty cool, and the sort of thing that makes for a neat build (ignoring for the moment that fireball is the worst spender in the game)... but also it makes the spell completely worthless. Great design. Just brilliant.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm not sure "yes, this first season is intentionally kinda poo poo" is a good strategy. Shouldn't you want to put your best foot forward?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tonetta posted:

it's not fair to compare the state of content of a just-launched live service game to ones that have been out for several years. all you can really hope for is the core gameplay loop being strong and carry it long enough for developers to add enough variety to satisfy the core playerbase.
IMO it's entirely fair to compare the state of a game that's a sequel to a game with over a decade of development (which was itself a sequel to a game that now has like two decades of dev) to those predecessors, because everyone probably should've learned something at some point!

Like. I don't think there's any excuse for dungeons to just be bad rifts when we've got ten years of rift development to look at! Hell, I'd argue that the Durance of Hate is more exciting and interesting than some D4 dungeons are.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Basic skills buffed by another 10%, you heard it here first!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

wuffles posted:

Knowing which affixes a build will want to prio per slot (aside from the general top choices) is not going to be easy to guess for blizzard guess before they make the item
Actually, it would probably have been really easy to determine that everyone wants crit and vuln stats, because they intentionally designed them to be the only independent multiplicative stats. And it would be very easy to know that everyone wants resource stats, because generator/spender gameplay sucks. And so on.

e: I guess those are the general top choices, but like. Why not just use them?

bio347 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 13, 2023

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Honestly, I'd just like it if there existed one ARPG where you didn't need a mathematics degree and online guidebook to determine what gear is good and what isn't.

Why does the character sheet have to be wrong? Couldn't it just be right instead? Why are some affixes additive and some multiplicative with no indication of which is which? Couldn't we just not? Why do descriptions have to be vague? I'd like some specificity, thanks!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

flashman posted:

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see anywhere that just tells me how much damage each skill is Gonna do to an equal level opponent or w.e based on my stats, just a bunch of percentage
Eh. If there was, it would be wrong. That's just how it goes.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Umm no. Software development doesn't really work like that. Especially when it comes to games. If you want to compare games that have years of "live" development vs. something that just launch, that's fine but people will call you out on it because it is , in fact, not a fair comparison.
Why not? If you are making a sequel, and that sequel has a similar feature as the original, why is it okay to make the same mistakes? Density and deadspace in rifts was something that D3 worked through and got to a mostly pretty decent place, and yet dungeons in D4 have literally the same problems. At a glance, one would think that those learnings should have had some impact on D4 and yet...

Stanley Pain posted:

That being said, D4 is way better than D3 ever was at any point.
lol

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Kawabata posted:

I, too, miss sets that give +40000% damage to skills, rainbows and lively colors, and 2009 era graphics
You ever notice how the main complaints about D3 are still "sets are bad, there was colour, don't like the graphics"?

It's never something like "rifts are bad, dungeons are way better" or "I love the open world and mount" or "wandering around cities trying to find amenities is so immersive" or "the tree of whispers is just obviously superior to bounties". Maybe you think those! They're definitely stronger arguments than "Diablo 3 had a rainbow in it"!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I do hope they do PTRs for future seasons. I can understand skipping it for this one because of the circumstances, but the PTRs were suuuuuuper helpful for ironing out kinks in D3.

Also, leaving us completely in the dark is just rude.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Vic posted:

Either display the calculation for the player or make it all additive so it's easy to gauge at a glance.

The bucket formula stays the same for all characters at all times. That's trivial. There are no variability to it. Prioritize vulnerable and crit, then everything else. That's braindead simple. It's only somewhat incovenient to keep track of.
You could probably also let it be all multiplicative (which is how my brain wants to interpret it intuitively) and then massage the numbers so that they don't explode out of control.

It's exactly the same in terms of finding gear, but I find it more interesting to chase a breadth of increases instead of every item needing to always have the same stats.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I find there to be a really weird disconnect with gear versus level. Like, ancestral gear is the exact same whether you're level 68 or level 98.

I understand that, logically, level 70 or so is probably equivalent to, eg, a max-level D3 character, and so it makes sense that the gear doesn't get better as you level up... but also, decades of RPGs have ingrained the idea that higher character level = stronger gear dropping. It's not necessarily wrong, but it also feels uncomfy. It just kinda feels like they should have made character level and paragon level different tracks or something.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tonetta posted:

if those are in a reasonable spot, I'll start them, then come back in like 30 seconds to a minute to get the good bits. the unskippable dialogue is so fking stupid. literally nobody wants to stop clearing any mobs for 30 seconds in an arpg when they're in a dungeon, especially not to hear the same tired dialogue. whoever made this decision, should stop being allowed to make decisions
You could skip dialog like this in D3 using the spacebar! I know that we can't expect the D4 devs to have even heard of Diablo 3, though, so maybe if we ask real nicely they'll change it for us.

...for real, though, I miss D3's spacebar. An all-purpose stop talking to me/close windows button was very nice, and I still find myself occasionally evading when trying to close my inventory or something.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I think it'd be nice if you could push sacred NMs just a bit higher than you currently can. Obviously letting them go all the way up would be silly, but being able to put some challenge into the tail end of the WT3 grind would be welcome.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I think my absolute favourite thing so far is the subtle bait and switch of them not mentioning that there were class-specific hearts in any of the pre-release talk. 32 hearts? LOL get hosed, more like 16 hearts.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The funny thing about resists is that, even if they were working correctly, the sorc would probably still be pretty weak defensively. Because resists don't reduce physical damage, and that seems to be the thing that gets me the most.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

but there's a potential frozen orb build for sorc with the malignant hearts that's calling to me...

YEAH IM THINKING IT'S SORC AGAIN

sorc gang stay strong we'll get through these tough times
TBH that Omnipower heart is probably pretty easily the best thing in the patch and is incredibly tempting.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

flashman posted:

Where did all the cinders go? I didn't see anything about a nerf to drop rate but it has to have been
It's bugged, yeah. Confirmed to be slated for the first round of hotfixes.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

zoux posted:

It takes me maybe 15 min to collect 175 shards, try dying less
Funny, but now you need 250 and there's a confirmed bug in their droprate!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The random teleport was always kinda an intentional malus because the occy was very good. It's... maybe kinda in the same boat here?

Like, free teleport enchantment would likely be completely bonkers without SOME sort of drawback, because Raiment exists. But also it's not 2001 anymore, so maybe just let people have fun?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Something insane I just realized:

The massive open world was supposed to be one of D4's defining features. The world was so big that they had to make mounts to accommodate it! And in this patch they have literally said "we do not want you to play in the open world". That's nuts.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Wasn't toupee-guy on the Immortal team?

Hopefully Rod doesn't crash this one...

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
"We had to obliterate sorcs so we could balance them later."

That's, uh, not something you do in parts, my dude. You do it all at once.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
"We had to wreck the stats so we could fix them later."

Also not something you do in parts!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
"We have five guiding points that we should have had at the start of development, but we have them now so that's good, right?"

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Protip for the devs: This is why like all of the other Blizzard properties have PTRs. Maybe try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Coming to Season 3: Rifts! (probably)