Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Red Rox posted:

One interesting element was just how drat HEALTHY the Nuggets were this season. I mean they've had bad injury luck in previous years but this season they seemed rock solid.

So jealous! There's a bunch of potentially great teams in the NBA but they just can't stay healthy. Must be awesome to see your full team play together through an entire season and playoff run.

I haven't been able to experience that with the Pels since 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ammanas posted:

dont fiba rules allow for a lot more contact without fouls? seens like ayton would be the opposite of who you want.

I don't think there is defensive 3 seconds in FIBA, which is why Willy Hernangomez was MVP last summer.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fast Luck posted:

if this were real that'd absolutely rule for Charlotte... a LaMelo and Zion tandem would be so much fun. throw in wife beater scum super dunker Miles Bridges and what you've got is pretty electric if they aren't drowned by injuries and off the court issues. Even Rozier is a good fit with that squad. I'd definitely trade Scoot and salary filler (Hayward is a pretty close match) for that possibility

It would take far more than that according to Fischer (who is much more plugged into the Pels than Stein):

quote:

The Pelicans are indeed quite high on Henderson, sources confirmed to Yahoo Sports. He boasts the explosiveness and athletic build of a bonafide franchise-caliber offensive engine, with Henderson measuring just under 6-foot-4 in shoes during visits with Portland and Charlotte. New Orleans is armed with all the future draft capital if those two teams were to value that commodity. But that’s just not the present reality.

For all the incoming calls the Pelicans receive on Trey Murphy, dating back to February’s trade deadline, sources said, he’s not quite the headlining player that would appear to get Charlotte or Portland’s attention. So that leaves Brandon Ingram or Zion Williamson in this thought experiment. New Orleans staffers always speak philosophically about no player being “untouchable,” but the Pelicans have shown little interest in parting with Ingram at this juncture, league sources told Yahoo Sports. With Williamson’s health history, New Orleans has had to pragmatically consider alternatives for the Pelicans’ long-term roster construction, especially under harsher tax penalties in the league’s new CBA. New Orleans, though, still fondly remembers standing first in the Western Conference when this roster was fully available last season. It sounds like the No. 2 or No. 3 pick in this draft would merely be the starting point to meet New Orleans’ valuation of Williamson, all his possible downside entering a five-year, $194 million contract be damned.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

If prime chris paul was a foot taller would he be as good as jokic

Yes. Easily. Prime CP3 before the bum knee was a monster.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Apparently, Green is finally getting to hire good own assistants now. TSpoon was a SVG-era hire. She still rules and I will miss her.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Supposedly, that was to let him know about TSpoon first since she was close to him and helped him a lot during his missed season.

Also,

https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1669452869433434112?t=xbrEWxwzYtwZEwJ_YibAWA&s=19

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lady Radia posted:

i miss nba basketball but the wnba is fun

Please come post in our WNBA thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001441&pagenumber=9&perpage=40

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

in Zion's defense he's got other relationships to deal with
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1669737433989107723

🤷

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Athanatos posted:

Yeah but lying to the commish and then pulling a gun out in the parking lot after the meeting is worth -57 games on the "Rule of Cool" scale, so the 25 was the solution.

Pels just fired Teresa Weatherspoon. The one person Zion was ride or die with on the staff. The person the Pels didn't let interview for the Mercury job or the assistant Blazers position because they wanted her to be there with Zion.

Now the Pels starting the "sources say" PR tour?

It's over in New Orleans for Zion.

The only mitigating circumstance around the TSpoon firing is she was part of the SVG staff and Green is finally getting the chance to make his own staffing hires.

Also, they let her interview for those positions but gave her more money before she accepted to go to those interviews, so they never happened.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

pentyne posted:

I know trade rumors are the entire point of the off-season but suggesting the Blazer's upcoming 3rd pick in the draft for Zion sounds more insane then normal.

It is a bit insane. The Pels aren't opposed to trading Zion, but they aren't going to just give him away. First, they want Scoot, so he would have to fall to 3. Then they would want every possible young player with potential that the Blazers have and all their remaining draft picks and some swaps. It ain't gonna happen.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

got some chores tonight posted:

I think Scoot is supposed to be real good and Zion is about to enter his big money years. Obviously the Pelicans know more about Zion that any other team, but if they aren't excited by his medicals or behavior or whatever, I think getting the #2 pick, who a lot of people are saying would be an easy #1 in other years, seems like a decent off ramp.

The Pels aren't looking to move Zion. If someone blows them away with an offer, they'll take it. But not for just Scoot. They will want lots more because they know his value to other teams is that high.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Smeef posted:

Maybe New Orleans is changing their terrible team name

:mad:

Paul Zuvella posted:

What can you even trade Zion for at this point in time. Dude has barely played professional basketball and is due almost 200 million.

A lot. His value around the league is still seen as an All-NBA player.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Brogeoisie posted:

A high lottery pick and some salary matching with ok players. Hornets could do it with Hayward + 2nd or something. His stats are awesome when he plays, like top 5 in league, and he's still young so he's worth a lot, honestly think a team should gamble on him

No, the Pels already turned that down, lol. Scoot would be the starting point. They would want much, much more than that or they'll just keep him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sure, that seems fine and good but generally speaking when you don’t he’s power moves you want to be moved to a contender and not a team in basically the exact same situation your current team is in. Like if Zion is miserable in new Orleans is he really going to be happy in Charlotte?

Where are you getting he's miserable because he's in NOLA from? He seems to have been miserable because he can't get and stay healthy enough to play basketball.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

tanglewood1420 posted:

If Zion is genuinely available and it's not just smoke then at least one team is going to make the moves necessary to get him.

He's available, but it would be for an AD/Gobert type kind of haul. Not Scoot and expiring contracts.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Scoot is probably worth a handful of mid round firsts.

The Pels already offered that and CHA turned them down.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ChickenMedium posted:

This dance they are doing where the Blazers pretend to not want to trade Lillard and Lillard pretends to not want to be traded is getting increasingly hilarious and desperate.

They've been doing it for like 6 years now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chilihead posted:

How can you say this when a 3 time all star who averaged over 30 points a game got traded in a salary dump. Of course Scoot is the starting point but moving on from that huge contract is the real goal of such a trade. Yes the Pelicans would want a few more picks back but it won't be a Gobert or AD deal.
Anyhow it only makes sense for a few teams but Charlotte almost needs to take the risk. The franchise has never been relevant since they had Alonzo and Larry.

Because the Pels would rather just keep him if they didn't get a return like that, despite the headaches.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

OH WORD SON posted:

It's almost as if they don't want to trade him

yup

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have it on, but only a single monitor and am catching up on a day of ball-related news, rumors, and analysis after starting a new gunpla model this evening (The-O is fantastic).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mean Baby posted:

George's salary makes it difficult as the Blazers have to trade Simons & Nurk to match. I think the Blazers are holding out to not use Simons in a package with #3 to package Simons + 23 for another piece. Everyone throws Simons in a deal, but Simons is too valuable to be a salary match.

The overall framework is likely

Nurk + Little + Keon + 3 for a one of Siakam / Bridges / Zion / Ingram + a pick (e.g., 14 or 21 + 22)

Simons + 23 + RFP + picks from the deal for #3 (if necessary) for something like Porzingis / Anunoby

The dream for me is Zion + Porzingis as I think a Dame / Sharpe / Zion / Grant / Porzingis starting 5 would be an incredible fit even if they only play 20 games a season together. If we make the playoffs and are healthy at that time, we have a chance.

Blazers aren't getting Zion without giving up Scoot, Sharpe, and Simons, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mean Baby posted:

Eh. Teams trade contracts, not players.

The Pelicans are looking down the barrel of a gun going into the second apron when Murphy and Jones become eligible RFAs. Scoot is 4 years on the cheap and will contribute day 1. Little and Keon are cheap. Nurk can be flipped with one of NOLA’s many firsts if they want to.

Zion is a distressed asset who is overweight, immature, and injury prone. He might be hinting at wanting out behind the scenes.

The Blazers only consider trading for him because they believe Dame + Nike + Vegan strip clubs can turn his heath around in Portland. A lot of Blazer fans do not want Zion.

It’s a high-risk high-reward play for Portland. For NOLA, it makes a lot of long term sense to build around Scoot Jones Murphy Ingram rather than just Ingram and Zion.

The Pels would just keep Zion, in that case. He's not a "distressed asset" lmao. Teams still view him as a possible best player on a championship team kind of guy. The Pels know this and will only trade him for something that fits that valuation.

Or they will just keep him. They aren't trying to dump him. And, if they move him, they are likely going into rebuild mode if they don't get another similar level player back. So, yeah, Scoot, Sharpe, and Simons.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lady Radia posted:

gotta send pics after or i wont believe u

Too tired to take out the camera for some feet pics, but have this completely awful photo of this just completed Zeong, instead:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
E: nvm

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Maestro posted:

He called Harrison Barnes a “true 4” in his mock draft article, it’s safe to say he doesn’t know poo poo.

He still thinks it is better to have Dorrian Finney Smith and his contract on a team than Brandon Ingram and his contract.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
lol

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1671968835711148040?s=20

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Chronicles posted:

I feel like just about any team that can get Lopez would be happy. He's a perfect piece.

The only roleplayer center that I respect as a stretch 5.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am a moron posted:

There’s an equally good chance the Warriors are going to need him to be injured because he’s 40 and might just straight up not be good anymore

He's been better than Poole, so still an upgrade.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

mildly annoying how when someone talks about "shooting" they are exclusively talking about threes.

agreed

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Azathoth posted:

I honestly believe that the rule is there to protect teams from desperate GMs making increasingly long odds trades to try to save their jobs. There's nothing more dangerous to a team's long term success than a GM who's got one more year to turn things around.

Owners always have the final say. They can just say "no" to the dumb trade.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Papes posted:

Probably a dumb idea but I’ve always felt if you have a players bird rights you should be able to pay them them whatever but only a % of the salary (say 75%) counts towards cap.

I could see it working where the player could sign for whatever amount, but the hit to the salary cap is whatever a normal "max" contract would be for that player. That salary cap number is what is used for when that player is traded. It would also mean that, if the player is traded, they would no longer get that money above the salary cap number, so they lose big bucks if traded. One player with this chad-max per team, non-transferable, comes with NTC.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dexo posted:

Nah, I don't like the idea of players not getting paid money they were promised, Something more along the lines of you trade a player they get paid everything, but the extra money is no longer off the cap.

It puts the onus on the team's trading for the cap exception player to have the space, and makes them feel the pain and deal with the consequences.

I'm good with that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

The WNBA is ftw

I love it. They get better abs more exciting every season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I really liked the Wallace pick. He's a high IQ defense guard that fits into the rotation with the ball handling going to Shai, Giddy, and J Dub. Having one of him, Joe, or Dort on the court is a pretty solid rotation in my mind.

This next season is pretty much all about Chet. They've made it pretty clear they aren't making huge roster moves until they see what he can do which buys time for Jaylin and Poku to build on what they did last season while Kendrick is hopefully just his solid dependable self.

I fully expect Chet to show enough to feel like you can't move on while getting hurt at a point in the season to make it uncertain if he can be relied on.

Cason is also shockingly competent in iso situations, iirc, which bodes well for his offensive development.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think he listens to talk radio. He's just a super positive guy.

This is good and I hope he holds onto that positivity for as long as possible.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

Who else in the NBA is giving Vooch anything close to that?

1/7th of the cap for a solid starter seems rather cheap to me, tbh.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That travel rule is going to gently caress up NOLA, Memphis, and Minnesota more than any other team because they are all so far away from many other conference teams.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/HoopMixOnly/status/1673429074012782594
I wouldn't normally post something like this here. However, I've been shocked by several friends' choices. imo it is obviously Kobe.

I would entertain arguments on leaving out Durant, tbh. Lebron, Shaq, and Jordan are the obvious untouchables.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

Doesn't prime Durant do most things better than prime Kobe?

I think Kobe could be more disruptive to the other team's plans on both sides of the ball, even if Durant is a more efficient player on offense and more versatile on defense. His aggressiveness could be a difference maker compared to Durant's more laid-back play style.

e: i think Kobe could help generate more fast breaks on that team than Durant would, which could offset the efficiency difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/status/1674448634434269188?t=lK7H0jPBpG_3QbllEklP-w&s=19

I forgot that what goes into the BRI pot got expanded.