Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I saw The Boogeyman in the theater. I actually liked it! The creature design was alright, and they wisely keep it offscreen or shadowed for the first 90% of the movie. Mostly I was impressed by the sound design and sound mixing. None of the modern lovely dialogue mixing issues, goes from perfectly legible sound to shockingly loud at just the right times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I watched Unwelcome yesterday. Liked it quite a bit. Colm Meaney is great, only complaint is the husband is just too useless/pathetic, it stops being funny and starts being like "I'm ok if he just gets killed" at some point in the bedroom scene.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Dragonshirt posted:

Rewatching Mad God on Joe Bob and getting super unto it this time.

Same, tbh.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I did not understand Mad God any better the second time. Phil's commentary has been... unhelpful.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, to me this is the most interesting thing about vampirism, and the “meths” from Altered Carbon. There’d be no way to empathize with or relate to mortals, after a point.

Kinda depends on how good your memory is. The comic Powers (I think) had an immortal, but his memory for anything more than about 70-80 years back was about the same as a normal persons memories of being 5. You'd probably be permanently jaded and old-fashioned, but not necessarily incapable of forming bonds.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I liked Creep, both the film and the Lonely Island music video featuring Nicki Minaj.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

High Warlord Zog posted:

No One Will Save You is a banger

:hai:

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm not sure that you can read the ending of No One Will Save You as the aliens simply giving up on defeating her because she's so tough, they already had her captured and killing her would be trivial. Besides, they didn't throw her in a cage, they gave her a real-life interactive dollhouse with human slaves. And didn't those humans still have the parasitic aliens in their throats? That's a lot of manpower. There's got to be something more complex going on with regard to their motivations.

It took me a while to figure out what was going on, like, I didnt really put it together until this morning, but my take is the parasites are basically putting people into "The Matrix, but nice". She rejects that, due to overwhelming guilt, so they build her an irl habitat instead. Its very clear the telekinetic aliens don't want to hurt anyone. The one in the basement squatting down and talking after taking her scissors convinced me of that. It gave strong "hey man, theres no need for that" energy.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Crescent Wrench posted:

On that last note, the part where she tries to sneak up on the alien in her bedroom and it does a no-look flick of the wrist behind it's back to blast her away got a good laugh out of me.

Yeah that felt like it was just getting annoyed with her, and I laughed too.

The only part I struggle with is when they make that emergency clone of her to house her parasite, and it tries to kill her (poorly). I'm of two minds, maybe it was just trying to momentarily disable her (thus the fairly ineffectual violence) OR the fact they made a copy of her and the first thing it tries to do is kill her indicates more about HER than the aliens.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

MacheteZombie posted:

It's always Halloween in my soul

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Stolen from another thread:

https://twitter.com/jimmychampane/s...ingawful.com%2F

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The new Fake Documentary Q is great but has anyone been watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rehpv-L2E BRITISH CRYPTIDS?

I love British Cryptids! They just keep getting sillier and sillier, its great.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The adult section of IT is always going to be weaker because the adult sections of the book are largely just intros and codas for the kids sections, which are the meat of the work.

I liked the new adaptation, both parts, but I feel like moving the narrative forward in time also hurts some of the overall themes of the novel. A big part of the book is the idea that the 50's era "golden age" of small town americana was only a golden age if you fit into a very specific mold. I dont think there's anywhere near the sort of unexamined nostalgia for the late 80s now as there was for the 50's in the mid-80s.

Honestly, my favorite parts of the book have always been the parts that aren't the adults or kids. Mike's historical research on Derry is really engrossing, and I have no idea how you'd really adapt that into the overall narrative.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I get what he was going for in that scene, the kids enter into the sewers as children and they can't leave until they've left childhood behind with an act symbolizing the passage into adulthood, but a kiss accomplishes exactly the same thing thematically and isn't completely insane and gross!

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Shudder/status/1753064454814593328?s=20

I know what I'm doing friday night!

Long Live The New Flesh!

(Shame James Woods turned out to be a piece of poo poo, but at least you get to see him suffer and die in Videodrome)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Not a movie, but we've been watching Preacher on Shudder and genuinely loving it? We're almost at the end of season 1.

I've read the comic and I really did not expect an adaptation to work, like, at all.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

John Yossarian posted:

I was on Tubi today and I noticed so many Amityville movies that I've never heard of. There was one movie set in space I think, I didn't watch it because it looked really bad. I honestly didn't know that they were so many movies based on it.

I have The Amityville Karen on my watchlist for a while, but I havent had the strength to actually hit play yet.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KillerCritics/status/1754549400729448498?s=20

I'm interested!

Hopefully the Frogman says "Get Out" at some point.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

A Fancy Hat posted:

Since I know there are a few Last Drive-In watchers here, any guesses on the movies playing tomorrow? I am utterly stumped on one of the films and only have a guess on the other.

First movie - the MPAA required 53 cuts before it could be released. That's gotta be My Bloody Valentine, right?

Second movie - Combines Andy Warhol's Factory with the worst neighborhood in downtown L.A.

I have not been able to figure out either, I'd honestly be surprised if it was MBV, they usually dont go for the obvious on the holiday specials.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

:hellyeah: Hunter Schafer's first horror appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDsboqjQq8o

Read this as Hunter Biden at first, and was like "yeah, that tracks"

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1755442699526603203?s=20

Love this movie!

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I dont know if it's 100% "Horror" exactly, but I loved Freeway

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

bitterandtwisted posted:

I’m trying to think of examples but my brain is fixed firmly on Scooby Doo

SPOILERS for two movies

The Boy
Housebound

I generally get annoyed at this trope too, but I actually liked both of these movies.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

An abortion on film

Abortions are usually performed by professionals.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

I'm watching Cemetery Man on Shudder. I have no idea what's going on but it's pretty awesome and looks great. Like a lot of good Italian horror movies it seems pretty much vibes based anyway so it's fine I guess.

I also watched this on Shudder and it was great.

The part where Dellamore describes Her as "The most beautiful woman in the world" was my own miniature horror movie. My wife immediately turned to look at me and I had to simultaneously pretend I didn't notice this, while also giving no sign that I knew he was objectively correct.

I am still alive to post, so I clearly succeeded at this IRL QTE.

Medullah posted:

Phantasm remake but instead of spheres he throws minidiscs

This is just Hellraiser 3.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

I was not allowed to see Freddy movies as a kid, but, walking past the door to a showing of Freddy's Dead in the theater, I saw this graphic for a second or two before being pulled away.

I think I misread it, because for years, I assumed the movie was about a future where Freddy had killed every teen in the whole world. I built it up in my head as this horrific apocalyptic film, but it was actually just pretty dumb.

dorium posted:

Just started The Baby for the first time.

Joe Bob did this one and I skipped it cause I found the concept gross, and it gave off big "The Writer's Barely-Disguised Fetish" vibes, but the RLM boys have convinced me to give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Dragonshirt posted:

I didn't need to see Joe Bob ride the Sybian.

Lmao

Watched The Stone Tape, really liked it! Got some nice themes about control and misogyny.

Not sure what I think the actual truth of the room was, either a mindless emotion recording device, or actually capturing spirits (and possibly something thats not a spirit).