Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Yeah I sure am looking forward to yet another year of young rookies with upside riding the pine so loving losers like Eric Hosmer and Drew Smyly can take reps away from them! :shepicide:

fake e. the pen being absolutely toast contributed heavily to the September collapse, meanwhile Hoyer called up Luke Little on the 6th, and in the 26 days he was up with the Cubs Ross had him throw 6.2 IP. 2.2 of which were the last two days after the season basically didn't matter. In that time he gave up no runs and struck out 12, but hey why actually use the young fireballing lefty your FO just handed you with the pen short when you could instead run Cuas out 923450297853208940923840923 times and give saves to the corpse of a splitter-less Mark Leiter Jr.?

Can't wait for Mervis slashing .500/.800/.2000 for a full year in Iowa next year while the Cubs give all their 1B starts to Patrick Wisdom and some dogshit veteran who's so old and washed they need to Weekend at Bernie's his mummified body up to the batters box.

The front office needs to "Carlos Pena" some veterans, if you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately for Cubs fans it’s an election year, and the Ricketts need to take the money for Bellinger and put it into a Trump PAC

Or funnel money into the "Biden is actually Obama wearing a rubber mask" lunatic PAC.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Why are the Mets dumping Alonso again?

Why keep Pete Alonso who only plays one position when you could have Christopher Morel who plays many positions?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Just wanted to let the Mariners, Cubs, and Mets fans know that some of us miss you over in the playoffs thread. Oh, what coulda been.

A real Straw Boss, basically.

The playoff thread is a myth.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I will continue to Cubspost. For Earth.

What am I supposed to do, go post on Bleacher Nation? :lol: no

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1711944101292105939

lol Cubs not even waiting for the end of the postseason to begin the annual bloodletting of coaches.

Pretty much anybody on the Mets, Padres, or White Sox should be seen as 100% available since all three have made noise about slashing payroll. Hell I bet the Mets would part with Senga for an attractive prospect package at this point. If you believe in what either Wacha or Musgrove did for the Padres this year is legit they're probably going to be available too.

Chris "Not that Chris Young... or that other Chris Young" Young

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

How can the Cubs have Soto and Ohtani if the Yankees get Soto?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I still can't believe the loving Rangers won a world series. This has to be made up.

Is this what people felt like when the Twins won the world series back in 1987?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

were they though? the 1987 Twins were "good" kinda like Jack Morris was an elite starting pitcher

My point was this team that nobody really follows finally wins the world series.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

"gently caress Brandon Pfaadt.
What a dumb name."
-Obadiah 1:22-23

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

They should have done this with the players standing in one location and a parade of fan trucks and vans driving by them.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He did lead all LF in assists in 2023

I haven't run the correlations or w/e but I'm pretty sure outfield assists are still the driving metric behind outfield gold gloves.
What I'd like to find out is how many assists were direct throws vs throwing the ball and it results in an out via a cutoff throw.

I guess he'll have to play LF, again, next year when Juan Soto is the DH. So, hopefully, his fielding takes a step back in the right direction.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 6, 2023

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Eloy is still somehow only 27 so it's still entirely possible he puts a good career together, but man the thing where his legs just spontaneously combust 2-3 times a season is depressing as hell. At least they got two really drat good years out of Cease, even if they were ultimately squandered. Also he absolutely should have won the Cy last year, gently caress Verlander.

The funniest part about Quintana is that he was a consistent 2-3 starter for his whole career before joining the Cubs, then was miserable for them, then as soon as he was free immediately went back to being a consistent 2-3 starter, albeit with some injuries mixed in. Just totally incompatible with however the Cubs' pitching coaches were trying to work with him, I guess.

I'm pretty convinced Eloy's ceiling is Jorge Soler at this point?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Seattle just making room on the roster for Ohtani, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

He's too busy making GBS threads himself blind with norovirus because baseball execs are filthy bastards who don't wash their hands.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

:siren: BIG FREE AGENT SIGNING :siren:

Wade Miley returns to the Brewers for 1.8x5

Not quite as big a free agent as Lance Lynn, but still on point for Milwaukee

Wade Miley 2011-2020: 10.2 rWAR
2021-2023: 7.8 rWAR

Did he unlock the secrets of the left-ballers?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I have some important analysis on the Juan Soto trade.

gently caress the Yankees

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If only there were some other "entertaining" industry that often caused its employees to commute between LA and Toronto.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gently caress this poo poo. Sign with my team.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MJeff posted:

Game 7 of the 2016 World Series was great because we got to see Aroldis Chapman get his rear end whipped and blow the biggest save of his life, but then the Cubs still won and broke their curse and he wasn't the guy on the mound for it, which was cool.

I can't wait for the Cubs to bring Bauer back from overseas.

Someone needs to make an animated smiley where the W gets lowered lol.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Maybe not!

Bryce Harper and Shoei Ohtani gonna build a retired MLB players' compound in Knoxville and buy the Knoxville Smokies.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Dang that sucks if true. It really does seem like the SF narrative in particular has penetrated general cultural consciousness more than other "unsafe liberal city" ones for whatever reason.

In terms of SF and Chicago, the narrative here is pretty much exclusively centered around gun violence and doesn't really include elements of the SF narrative like the mobs of violent homeless people, open drug use in front of pre-schools, and streets covered in literal human poo poo (disclaimer I'm obviously engaging in MASSIVE hyperbole here, but this is absolutely the kind of stuff you hear talking to most people who live outside California). Also in both LA and Chicago's cases you're talking about hugely sprawled out areas that have much more strictly segregated rich and poor areas. Obviously SF has rich enclaves as well but it's way more dense within a smaller area and much harder to just totally avoid the "undesirables", as it were. Unless you're including the rest of the Bay Area of course, but I'm not sure how many players are hyped about living in some affluent techbro Palo Alto suburb.

Mark Rober isn't helping this perception.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWWyG5ZwG8

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does anyone want a copy of MVP Baseball 2005 for Xbox for free?
It's a useless disk to me because I don't own an OG Xbox but maybe someone in this thread does and would like to have their own copy of the greatest baseball game ever made?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bregor posted:

https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/1725663781768810508?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Kinda wild, Senzel was supposed to be The Guy in Cincy and just can’t stay healthy

He's still a minor celebrity in Knoxville and everybody here thinks he's the nicest guy.
I'm sure there are plenty of teams lined up to offer him a AAA contract with an NRI. He's certainly worth keeping around as a break glass guy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Sounds like a 2024 league minimum Cub who inexplicably blocks an interesting prospect already!

Their approach at this point is clearly "what's the minimum amount we can pay for a winning record?"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bregor posted:

They also have no direct competitor for realistic-looking MLB games, so :shrug:

I can’t remember the last baseball video game I bought but I think it was MVP Baseball and had Pujols on the cover?

Most of us are happy enough to stare at spreadsheet simulators instead of live action baseball games, so the revenue stream for baseball baseball games is probably impacted by that.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

What's this? The most recent I have is 20.

They created a mode called Perfect Team that uses baseball card gacha mechanics similar to the team building in The Show.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

He was a piece of the Mookie Betts trade yes

So the Red Sox got nothing for Mookie Betts? It's even worse than thought at the time?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

One of the wildest things about the Mookie trade is that people will still defend it and say Mookie was dead set on testing the FA market!

Never let hindsight get in the way of a bad argument.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

live with fruit posted:

The Red Sox traded Nomar for a worse shortstop and a glove-first first baseman and won the World Series.

I still can't comprehend that trade.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Rays really know how to pick ‘em, here’s just the first rounders:

1999 - Josh Hamilton, generational talent and generational drug addiction
2000 - Rocco Baldelli, perennial all-star potential derailed by genetic metabolic disorder, not his fault
2001 - Dewon Brazelton, wife-beater
2003 - Delmon Young, has a “legal issues” section on Wikipedia
2010 - Josh Sale, two drug suspensions and one strip club video in 12 months
2011 - Brandon Martin, convicted of triple murder

2010 - signed Matt Bush, former #1 pick (2004), who'd already been in legal trouble 3 times after being drafted (that we know about) and went on to run over an elderly man while drunk after stealing his roommate's car

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DeepDickPizza posted:

There’s honestly been so little chatter in the Cubs media sphere…on anything. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Stroman is back.

I see nothing linking the Cubs to any interest, at this time, to any pitcher.
I know they're too smart to think their defense is going to be elite every year and that Justin Steele's going to be a Cy Young candidate every year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ScottyJSno posted:

Watching Jack reacher season 2.

Somebody used the alias Starlin Castro to get a hotel room.

An CIA analyst or something says that that was a a guy who played for the Yankees.

I got so angry at cubs erasure that I had to stop watching.

I am still laughing at the Yankees fans in this thread who loving hated on Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo and got stuck with each of them.
It will never not be funny to me.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Who the hell is out here hating Rizzo?

Was it me? I've Cold Taken myself at least twice already.

Somebody called Rizzo a platoon bat after he signed his extension with the Cubs.
I actually think his contract with the Yankees is just fine. Hindsight is 20/20 but they paid him like a 2nd tier free agent and that's the value their getting if he can just bounce back into the 2 WAR range this year. Free agents are usually old and expensive and you just hope they leave before they become trash.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Help. The Reds are winning the off-season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Remember that time John Lackey pitched for the league minimum for the Cards because he signed a dumb contract with the Red Sox before they traded him?
I really thought he'd just sit out that season in protest. I'm not sure if I respect him for pitching that year or not.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mark Buehrle belongs in the Hall of Leftballers and Hall of Fun highlights.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

I would appreciate him, in all his glory, pitching on the Cubs.

I know Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain worked for the Giants, but I'm fine with Stro and 3-4 other pretty good starters. I am not expecting a future Hall of Fame starter. The Cubs' defense should be pretty good in the near future.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Maybe he's good pals with Seiya. If not yet, he will be. :3:

Leave it to the Cubs to sign a flyball pitcher to pair with their gold glove infield defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Stroman wanted an extension from the Cubs and on the open market he got a whole 1 extra year for less AAV. Doesn't really seem like the gamble paid off but I wish him best, he was fun to watch for a few years.

I mean, isn't this how all employment works? You aim as high as you can until you're forced to settle...

At his age, the smart thing is to aim for guaranteed years, in my opinion. At 32, you're at a high risk of just sucking all of a sudden or getting a season ending injury at any given time.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 12, 2024