Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Handiklap posted:

I've been organizing my rubbermaids full of lego and finally got around to looking up some manuals for some classic sets. Here's my 4005 and 4025. The latter has more minifigs than it came with, as I needed somewhere for them to live while I rebuild the 6382 Fire Station.

Oh my god I had the fireboat on the right! It came with weighted bits that you attached to the bottom so it would float upright in the bath! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

beato posted:

I picked up 2 bags at random and got the exact same 2 as you.

Lucky, I picked up one and got the greasy mechanic :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Xenophon posted:

I got this when I was 4 or 5 after seeing another kid with it at show and tell :)

This set was pretty much my favourite when I was a kid, and formed the basis of almost everything I made after I got it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lord Ryan posted:

Free with my order. Lucky me!

Oh my god I didn't know Lego made kendo minifigs :swoon:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

hxcorpse posted:

From the packaging I thought it was some kind of ninjago hockey player.

Regardless, I am already bidding on one on ebay, and trying to stop myself getting a white one as well (to give a female minifig head to)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I wouldn't bid. Just sayin'.

Why, are you going to snipe me? :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

The car also has this rubber bullet gun in front. I presume this shouldnt be loaded on display or it'll eventually squash the spring inside flat and useless?

Also I know a lot of new releases just hit the shelves, I looked through them. New Ninjago, Star Wars, Super Heroes, but the thing that's charming me the most of the current releases?

This. I dont even know why. :allears:

Oh hey, that's a female minifig garbage collector too. Awesome.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

Some mindstorm game I didn't get to see them play but looked very cool

Oh my god, it looks like they made a fully automated Robo Rally :swoon:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I hope this is true

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Get a couple of sets, build one of these

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

refleks posted:

in theory F1 cars generate so much downforce they could ride slowly up a wall up until they're on the ceiling of a tunnel...

people keep saying this, yet F1 is too cowardly to incorporate it into their tracks.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Forumla E already has boost pads, I want racing to go full Wipeout. Give cars virtual weapons fired by a co-pilot that affect performance.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

That grey and red thing looks incredibly boring.

The Blacktron stuff looks neat though. Are they all wearing neckties?

Also digging the green and white multicolor Tron.

Though that guy in the back with the car looks ridiculous. The heck is that giant arch?

Hold up.

Computer, zoom and enhance.

Zoom and enhance.

Space cat??? A space minifig wearing a huge orange harness? What is this?

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 11, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I see it now! It's also attached to the trailer to a flexi hose thing

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm curious how you saw a cat in those pixels.

Not judging.. but huh?? :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm still salty that the cool multi-level slice of the London Underground didn't get enough likes to go into production.

EDIT: Whoah wait it actually hit review, I hadn't checked in a while!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2854271f-9432-4193-ad74-305e7105ebc4

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

it's cool, but all it's done is make me want a Lego Bioshock lighthouse

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Where's my Annihilation Lego?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BaconCopter posted:

Edit: The next batch of Ideas qualifiers was announced, with some seriously cool sets making it to the next phase. https://ideas.lego.com/s/bp:8ddbf90364e748219cac3eee6030fe63

I'm still hoping that the Brick Lane tube station from the first 2022 intake is approved for production, I love the small footprint/multi-level look

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I really hate the trend towards boring builds of <insert popular property here> but I guess they sell

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Got the idea in my head and had to build it. Mostly just a mod of the official Charger, but I had to change a surprising amount just to make orange work, plus the rest of the stuff.

The Transgenderal Lee

Please update your thread or instagram with this so I can tweet it with accreditation, it is amazing

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

I built the thing! The Transgenderal Lee:

"My pronouns are yee/haw"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Booo, the London Underground diorama wasn't accepted.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the Hazmat Playmobile set in this thread is great though?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Lego masters tv show is a great way to see all the creativity Lego allows. I really like the Aussie version and the USA one a bit less.

It's incredible how unfunny Will Arnett is as the host of the US version, the contestants laugh at his "jokes" like they're being held at gunpoint.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

engessa posted:

Also a bunch of new city sets: https://brickset.com/article/86514/2023-city-sets-announced!

The recycling truck looks cool and the bins seem to be on a green piece that could be connected to the new road pieces.

You have a ton of extra pieces if you build one big tree. I think they get used when you build two smaller ones. What pieces are you missing? The 3x2 plates and 2x1 with stud are bagged alone with no other pieces. I think the 2x2 corner and 2x2 macaroni are bagged together and so are the 2x4 and 2x6 if i remember correct.

That slushy van is cool as hell

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Space Police was a better line anyway because you could toss aside the Space Police dude, remove any of the branding, and let the cool Blacktron guy fly around in an awesome ship

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

no wonder it's called Bioshock

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

pod6isjerks posted:

Why does someone need to see themselves as a minifig? I didn't play with LEGO as a kid and think "this bright yellow spaceman is ME!". Why can't yellow minifigs be their own thing in the LEGO universe?

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I've done a lot of Lego stuff with after school programs, and speaking pretty generally, 'yellow' for minifigs is coded as 'white' to younger builders, regardless of what Lego themselves says.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like the idea someone upthread had of just making the flesh tone faces the “standard” for sets like these and just including classic yellow equivalents as a bonus for those who want to keep their displays consistent. It retains the iconic look while still giving decent representation and Lego can sure as hell afford to include another $3’s worth of heads, hands, and the occasional torso for these $200-$500 sets.

I think they should keep the yellow as the standard on the front of the box, then have the "realistic" skintones on the back. That way Lego keeps the same branding, but shows that yellow isn't supposed to be white (because there's actually white heads/hands included with the others)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Now gimmie some Space Police

EDIT: Specifically a modern Striker or Peace Keeper.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 20, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

does anyone who is not nostalgic for ice planet think those sets even look okay, let alone good?

I do! Ice Planet was just a bit too late for me to be into Lego, but I think the contrast between the white, blue, and transparent orange is :krad:

I'm looking at the sets now and I would have been all over those as a kid.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Speaking of nostalgia, I decided to build the Space Police Peacekeeper in Stud.io and it was a real blast from the past. I'm tempted to make a few different variations in different generations of Space theme (also I couldn't resist updating the minifig faces)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm tempted to make a few different variations in different generations of Space theme

Decided to go ahead and try modify the Peacekeeper into a Classic Space version. I tried to keep the overall size similar to the original, as well as keeping the same main play feature of the removable prison section - in this case turned into a boster/droid transport pod.

It's based mostly on the Xenon X-Craft, with the side panels being the same as the ones on Cosmic Voyager

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Decided to go ahead and try modify the Peacekeeper into a Classic Space version. I tried to keep the overall size similar to the original, as well as keeping the same main play feature of the removable prison section - in this case turned into a boster/droid transport pod.

It's based mostly on the Xenon X-Craft, with the side panels being the same as the ones on Cosmic Voyager

Blacktron version of the Peacekeeper, obviously inspired by the Invader.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Take this thread on a tour of all the subforums imo, only move it to the next when someone makes a build themed for the current subforum.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Infinitum posted:

LEGO is the act of play, so I think The Sci-Fi Wifi is the ideal place for the thread.

Honestly not the worst idea, though you'd end up with a lot of SPACE sets

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

You might be onto something there, it's nostalgic for me because I inherited my brother's lego after he aged out of it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

FWIW I thought your post was weirdly hostile too. I think you're reading aggression where absolutely none was intended, it read to me like a normal question.

Yeah, it seemed like an honest question to me. I bought a modern version of a Transformer not because I had it as a kid, but because I wanted it as a kid but never got it, and I think a lot of Lego is like that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I need to buy this when it comes out so I can mod it into a Mystery Shack.

I was just thinking that there's going to be SO many Mystery Shack mods.