Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So if I was interested in getting a MacBook for the first time which should I look into? Currently I have a 2016 Dell XPS 13 (i5). I don’t use it much save for browsing, some Spotify, and schools stuff so I don’t need something more powerful than that.

I was looking into the new Air but I don’t really want to screw myself over in the long run.

Also my current laptop is working fine this is more because I’d like to get in on the Apple stuff more since I already have AirPods, XS, and the Watch. It’s all an enthusiast thing I guess. I’m totally interested in older MBPs if those are about as good as what I have and what not.

Thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LionArcher posted:

So 2015 is the best of the old ones to buy?

I think that's what most people say. I just bought a late 2013 one as my first ever MBP and it kinda rules. Really just get whatever works for you.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The iPad Mini owns and Apple should probably one day do an iPad Mini Pro but they won't.

Cowards :colbert:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/DaveLeeBBC/status/1135709989861859329

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

EDIT: I don't know about anyone else, but I feel rather reluctant to install third-party apps on my Mac these days.

That’s funny, I find myself nowadays not even installing apps at all. I rather use the browser for everything.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

If you only use first party apps, what was it about a MacBook that made you choose it over an iPad? If I didn't need tons of development/design tools, I'd probably use an iPad Pro exclusively.

I’ve never had a Mac before so I got a good deal on a MBP from late 2013 and it’s been fun. But the reality is that an iPad Pro would probably suit me just fine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I was one of those iPad Pro as my computer type of folks and while I still stand by the idea that it can work for people if you can work around some limits I ended up selling the Pro 2018 and got the base MBA. It rules.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think 8GB is pretty good to get in. I figure the resale on the base MBA should be still decent in three years so I could ideally sell this one and go for whatever the base M1X/M2/M3 or whatever MBA is.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

teagone posted:

I was excited to try out The Pathless on my 4th Gen Apple TV and then saw the disclaimer that the A8 chip in it isn't compatible. Feelsbad. For $5 a month Arcade seems like an "ok" deal and I wouldn't mind keeping the sub if a refreshed Apple TV box that has a major focus on casual gaming comes out next year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/22/2021-apple-tv-rumors/

There was actually a rumor about this very thing that came up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'm a normie and Safari rules.

:goodamen:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

davidbix posted:

BTW, just to make it completely, 100% clear: They don't check for any kind of proof if you use the online educational store. They don't even ask you to select your school like they used to, but even then I don't think they required any proof.

Apple doesn't need any proof that you're going to school to buy from the edu store. They just don't make a big deal about it, anyone can buy from there.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes, I sure am a :airquote: student :airquote: , I bought this MacBook Air to use for :airquote: school :airquote: and/or I am a :airquote: parent :airquote: buying this Macbook for my :airquote: student :airquote:.

Thanks for the discount so I can get 16GB RAM, suckers.

Yeah, I think that's why no one really advertises the discount. Apple really doesn't give a poo poo, they already have your money.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1368223357250899971?s=20

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Are there drivers I have to look for? PS4 controllers appeal to me since I have a couple of them

Edit: I've never used apple arcade but I have it with the package deal on apple's services so hey.

It just connects via Bluetooth. At least the Xbox controller does. There’s nothing special to get it to work.

Edit. Beaten.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Any rumblings of finally adding cellular to the laptops? An M1 cellular MBA would be an instant-buy for me.

Yeah I don’t think that’ll happen yet. Definitely not tomorrow.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

What's to stop Apple from just teasing an iMac Pro at WWDC in an all-black color combo? They could even make the Pro not have the chin at all and have it be all screen since that's a pro thing...I guess?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Don’t start this poo poo. M1 STAYS winning.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Not specifically about the Mac, but a question about AirTags.

I want to put an AirTag on my bike, but it's stored in a communal area, away from my phone. It's possible that it might not be in contact with my phone for a few days on end. Other people will walk by it with their phones, but they should never travel together (ie, the only time it's moving should be with me).

Will the anti-stalking measures cause it to make noises after awhile if I don't go near it, or does the object need to be in transit with someone else for awhile first?

I believe for the anti-stalking measures to come in to play the AirTags need to be actively moving with someone else.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pissed about this to no end.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'm sure this makes Skeezy feel much better.

I’m feeling a bit better now. Needed to cool off.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

Quick question, I'm looking to buy an M1 Air off the refurbished store and also trade-in my old MacBook Pro, but I don't see a way to use the trade-in option as a credit on the purchase. Is that not just a thing I can do or am I looking at the website wrong?

I don’t think it’s an option on the refurb store. Maybe if you call Apple they can do the trade in and then you can use a gift card on the shop?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarioGuzman/status/1415374667817242633?s=20

I think they made it worse but whatever, it is what it is.

Edit: You can actually revert back to the old newer style. Under view just uncheck "Show Separate Tab Bar".

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 14, 2021

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

japtor posted:

I think I used my old one like that with BetterTouchTool, but like 3 finger gestures instead of 4 cause the space.

Maybe BTT would work for that? Been so long since I used a Logitech mouse that I don’t remember myself. But if it works, BTT is stupidly excessively programmable so could work for you.

I was semi ok with the new style (definitely needs improvements though) but either way they need some more drat active/background tab contrast at least. And is the site coloring optional? That’s (one of) the other big annoyance I had.

You can disable the site coloring. It’s under Safari Preferences > Advanced > Accessibility > Uncheck “Show color in tab bar”

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

Went to an Apple store down the road on a whim to try the MacBook Air out and I loved it. I happened to have my old phone still and got about half the price of it covered with the trade so I pulled the trigger. They also said I could return it within 2 weeks if they do end up updating the Air tomorrow.

I will probably keep my iPad with the pencil and just upgrade less often now that it isn’t my primary workhorse.

Giving you a preemptive "thank you for your service" because for sure now Apple will be announcing new Air's tomorrow.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

You’re welcome! Plan is to return it if they do and just keep it if the event sticks to Pros.

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1449803722452717569?s=20

Who knows but I might be getting a green Air at some point.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pros look good if you need that, looking forward to the Airs in cute colors when those come out later.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyone have any experience with the mail in trade in process? On the day the new Pros came out I was able to find a store close to me that had them available. I decided instead of driving over I’d just do the same day delivery on it.

I did the entire thing with my Apple Card and initiated a trade in with my older M1 Air. Got the instant credit and I did get the mail in kit Friday. Now my understanding was that Apple Stores do take trade-ins as well and I’d prefer to go that route to eliminate any potential mix ups or lost packages.

I went today to the Apple Store and they tell me that for some reason they can’t take in the Air since it’s not showing up on the order for the Pro for whatever reason. I say fine, I can just mail it in but I decide to call Apple to see what’s what.

They tell me over the phone that because I had the Pro delivered to me I have to mail in my Air instead. I can’t trade it into a store. Is this how it normally is or what’s the deal with it? I can mail it tomorrow if need be but I don’t know I rather just take it myself to a store.

I might just be worrying too much.

Edit: Really thinking on it, it shouldn’t matter if I had it delivered or picked it up myself. Trade ins a trade in. Even on the site it says you can do this:

Edit 2: Spoke to someone else about it over chat this time and I guess the end result is I hosed up and chose to have it mailed in? I don’t know. I’ll just send the drat thing over the mail and be done with it lol.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 1, 2021

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hatty posted:

How much RAM is everyone getting? I assume 16gb is enough for an idiot like me who just does spreadsheets

Went with the base everything 14" model. 16gb is more than enough and honestly I don't even use the Pro for what it's made for, I just like how it looks over the Air so I went for it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So on the topic of XIV, any of y’all happen to have issues using a bluetooth connected Xbox controller in game? I can connect the controller just fine over Bluetooth. The game picks up that there is a controller connected, but when I go to calibrate it nothing works. Am I missing something here? I really rather do this over Bluetooth over getting a long wire so I can sit on the couch when I want to play that way.

Edit: Took a bit but I figured it out. This is the way it’s meant to be.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 12, 2021

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

So... Would I be able to get the Student Discount just by sending them a picture of my student ID, even though I finished Grad School a year ago?

They walked back all the Unidays verification stuff.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

I would like a mac for basic video and sound editing. Editing together home movies and kids' projects, basically, but I'd like to be able to play around with greenscreens and such and maybe something like Ableton Live one day. Would an Air handle that or should I look at something with more power?

The Air should be able to handle that honestly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm a little freak and find doing a fresh install to be fun. Hell, sometimes I've done for no reason other than to de-stress.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

I make my dock extremely big and always visible because the icons are pretty and I like pissing people off.

You’re also old as hell brother.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fun little video on this exact mouse for those who care lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R-0tLIRnio

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SourKraut posted:

The 14" MBP is probably the best laptop I have ever owned.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/12/18/updated-pro-display-xdr-gurman/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Looks like it’s time to buy an iPhone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

M2 Mini $499 👀

Pro is kind of a ridiculous bump but I’m not gonna complain about a price cut in 2023.

Will you finally make the leap to Ventura...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, someone got D4 installed; I’m going to see if I can get it installed tonight.

How would I go about trying to do this lol