Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Who is this for? It looks significantly slower than other nut cracking methods. And if you have weak arthritic hands it is going to be agony so no benefit there.

Wait, maybe the point is that it is super slow, so it keeps you from snacking too quickly??

It's not that one but I've seen a similar one made with 3d printing to prove that you can in fact 3d print a working walnut cracker.

3d printing poo poo nobody ever wanted or asked for is the meme in this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

Remind me of the babe.

What babe?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

You can kinda see their point in covering it up in the first place then. Article says it was done in the same time period using the same materials. So it was only a few years of looking at the creepy weird sheep before someone paid to have it "fixed".

Decades. Read the articles. It was a hu-sheep for decades.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh

Magic

Smash

WH40k

-------

Who has the smelliest fans? I've heard horror stories from them all, but there must be some uber-goon who has collected all four and can do a comparison.

I ran Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic, and Smash tournaments professionally in high school, and each of them have their characteristic scent problems. Adult Yu-Gi-Oh fans seemed to be the most universally smelly, but Magic tournaments often had a smell that could not be traced back to an individual player. Smash had the worst examples by far, but most Smash fans were indistinguishable from normal people. Their exceptions were simply exceptional.

I stopped running those tournaments literally the moment I stepped foot into University life. The pay was great, but the people were absolutely never worth it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Founding Fathers the owned too, slaves should remove we their statues?!?

Yes

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

RandomFerret posted:

Build a guillotine out of lepin for anybody who can afford legos these days

I just want to let you know that, as one of the 9 people on this forum that joke is for, it's real good.

Taeke posted:

Just ordered 400 euros in lego for two sets (ideas treehouse and pirate set) but I justify it because I work with kids who will get a ton of play out of it.

You've made two very good decisions here.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

It's not in a bag, clearly that's not Canadian milk.

The bag isn't strong enough to contain 3.25% Homo Milk. No bag is.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is the stuck thing a sex thing?

Yup.

Hattie Masters posted:

Nobody can answer this without immediately telling on themselves.

Yup.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Don't let these idiots try to "occupy" the high and tight either. There's nothing white supremacist about that image unless you're willing to let them take things. The only people who even know that they've tried are the terminally online, like us, and the absolute only people who care about it are terminally online neo-nazis and the people who think the forums should give a poo poo what neo-nazis think.

We don't.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Those are literally faces drawn by white supremacists for white supremacist memes, and they look like what white supremacists wish they looked like. that is 100% verifiable fact. (also they look nothing like that)

Which is why, as has been stated, we need to use it outside of those spaces to introduce static to their signal and devalue the meme for white supremacists. This is just an acceleration of the normal meme lifecycle, where the more a meme spreads the further it gets from the original intent and by the time it hits the population at large it's meaningless to the group who made and identified with it.

Or, you know, forfeit more content to the Nazi-Exclusive column, I'm sure that'll make it less appealing somehow to the teenage boys who they indoctrinate into their secret club with cool memes.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Aug 7, 2020

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It really depends what you're watching. Modern television tends strongly toward the sitcom model, where nothing really changes between episodes, which was specifically designed to make it easier to skip episodes but still feel like you understand what's going on.

Older TV and some newer TV (Game of Thrones and Mandalorian spring to mind) are more content-dense, like movies, and I find them similarly difficult to commit to watching. Looking at your phone for even a couple minutes can leave you completely lost, so you really have to engage with the content if you're going to understand or care about it at all.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

Do lightsabers genuinely not stop bullets according to star wars lmao?

"Wookieepedia Entry on Slugthrowers posted:

Slugthrowers were surprisingly useful against lightsabers, as when a slug made contact with a blade, it would simply melt instead of being deflected like a typical blaster bolt. These molten fragments would then continue their trajectory toward the face or hands of the lightsaber user, and cause serious harm if they were not careful.[6]

Yep.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

Hey now, lesbians too

Allow me to refer you to this publication (Mitchell, Thompson, et al. 1997) regarding usage of the pronoun "dude" and it's non-gender-specific nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKYXmjfQY4U

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Somfin posted:

Notably missing from both this and the show: hey maybe grading "sins" and "good deeds" on a linear scale like a person's life is simply the sum of their atomised actions is the real problem and we should question that

The show only meaningfully addressed the concerns of a handful of philosophers. Asking it to question and then compose a thesis of "what does it mean to live a good life?" is asking to expand the scope of the show a hundredfold, and even then, it more directly invites the question of "what is good?" which even grazing against would expand the scope a hundredfold again. I think that's why they repeatedly emphasized that the system is based on infallable accounting of the effects of earth and the life on it, because if you start to question the accounting (and you absolutely should) or the basis of said accounting (maximizing quality of life on earth, which again, you absolutely should) you immediately expand well beyond the attention span of a sitcom viewer, at which point the show loses the audience and stops being produced.

What we got moved the ball a lot and started a lot of important conversations. I'd love to see the show you want, but I don't think enough people would watch it for it to get even four seasons, and even if they did, what conclusions can you draw? "Man, morality is complex" is not a satisfying conclusion, but it's basically the best one we have as a species so far for either of those questions.

With any luck this will pave the way for more media that directly interfaces with and explores philosophy, which would be really cool. I read Sophie's World as a teenager and really, really loved it, but the teacher that assigned it as reading admitted that most people bounced off it hard, even in her classes. This is just a much more marketable approach to that content.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Somfin posted:

Except they did introduce us to the divine accounting department, which was staffed by bored immortal morons, who assigned values arbitrarily whenever humanity did a "new thing," and then they were like "yup and that's how it works, the math checks out, we just know the relative values of supporting the Cubs versus whatever the pony jar dude did, moving on."

You are right that the show did a lot to introduce people to the fact that there are frameworks outside of the rules utilitarianism that people inherit from modern education systems but fuckin' hell they got so close to actually bringing up the fact that there are deeper questions in that one episode and they just... didn't. I feel like the show should just not have told us where the numbers come from, and that could have fixed a bunch of problems.

They did tell you where the numbers came from. The Accountants looked at every effect of the action on every living thing on Earth and the relative moral values of those outcomes and get their numbers that way. They undermined it with throwaway jokes about certain actions being remarkably bad even though they'd have seemingly no effect on anyone (like hollowing out an eggplant and filling it with hot sauce and nickels, -9,900 points) but that's the system and the nature of a sitcom, respectively.

Again, if you question the accounting you explode the show. You'd need something ten times longer than Seinfeld to meaningfully explore all the moral philosophers up to 100 years ago, and ten times more to cover the following 50 years, and ten times more still to get up to the time the show was written, and an unknowable number of additional seasons to cover the timeline from then to a thousand years from now when they'd be done with all that. And then what? No conclusion they draw will be satisfying to basically anyone, there is no answer to that question, that's why it's still being worked in real life. So you get a 2000 season show that ends with a prolonged wet fart that becomes apparent around the 3rd or 4th season and takes well into the thousands to peter out. And you'd still have people outraged that their favorite pocket philosopher wasn't addressed or addressed correctly or thoroughly enough. That's Philosophy!

Also, I'd like to point out that Chidi repeatedly debases the system, pointing out by comparison that the system, while it is objectively The System, is completely arbitrary. His inability to make a decision is clearly a metaphor for the field of philosophy's non-convergent nature, where further study raises questions far, far faster than it produces answers, if it produces any answers at all.

The conclusions that show reached were unsatisfying, but that was always inevitable because they were conclusions to philosphical questions. I'd argue that they did a good job bringing the conversation to some audiences who'd never consider it otherwise and the longer the show went and the more it covered, the fewer viewers would ultimately be satisfied by it and the less satisfied they'd be, but if you want to do that, let's go make a Good Place thread in TVIV rather than derailing a perfectly good Mmrnmhrm thread.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jabberlock posted:

This is how I found out about Windows 11

Me too. I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be The Last Microsoft OS and they were going to treat it like Apple treats OSX. Guess that's changed.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

This was better when it was a jpg.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Its not too heavy for the plane, its too heavy for the upper carry on storage. The storage isn't rated for weights over a certain amount. If they break out during turbulence, they could really hurt someone.

Also if something a certain weight, it's probably too big too. Unless your carrying bowling balls made of tungsten, a carry on bag over 50 pounds is probably too big.

This fun destroying joke brought to you by my sister in law who used to be a stewardess, and had to explain carry on weight hundred of times to angry jet blue passengers.

That is very clearly and explicitly a checked bag.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Sally posted:

i like the ai art...

and also recognize that based on general meme thread trends it'll be dead in a week or so.

Tell me you weren't here during the Reign of the Forbidden Meme without telling me etc etc etc.

It was months.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

is she making GBS threads on the back of her own blouse?

Also the sink is backwards somehow.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

BUT aren't they always on Dominaria? I thought I remembered the first tiny little instruction book saying you're playing a wizard dude (Planeswalker) in Dominaria?

Dominaria is a Plane, one of many but generally the largest and most important. Back when expansions were in 3-set blocks, each block for the most part was a different plane, but they kept going back to Dominaria. It's where Urza and the Weatherlight happened, it's the plane the Phyrexians invaded (they were from, get this, Phyrexia, another Plane) and eventually where the Phyrexians invaded again (this time from New Phyrexia, formerly Mirrodin, which is again another Plane).

Trap sprung but I've been out for over a decade. I was the kind of nerd who bought the books.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

"i don't think you should enjoy that artist because he may enjoy music made by neo-nazis"

How did you get that

droll posted:

Peturbator thinks it's no big deal that he is buddies with neo nazi bands. Just FYI.

from this?

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 08:54 on Oct 28, 2022

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

That show and scene also takes place at a comic book store. You can see the action figures around them. That's literally the place you go to be excited and talk about nerd poo poo.

Having worked in card game shops before, there's always at least one table of older people who talk infinite poo poo about everyone else playing children's games and in fact being children while they play with their cardboard and/or plastic addiction that they swear is the only game for adults in the genre. The game and faces change, but once you hit a particular size they're all but omnipresent.

E: Oh hi new page, if I eat a probe for telling people about one type of weird who is naturally attracted to the card shop ecosystem so be it.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Nov 14, 2022

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

This is too good to die as the last post on a page.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm not sure we are, friend :(

Only because nobody can find the lever just yet.

Kheldarn posted:

Can't be that good. It just shows as a nasty Discord link.

:cloud:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

I see this and all I think is "AI art seems to struggle with the concept of a car battery" so I guess I'm no longer a guy. Can't say this was unexpected.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

These forums make you trans, it's finally happened, congratulations!

I also thought "those dicks want to prevent this" so I guess I will need some new socks now

Are enbys considered trans? I've reviewed the available genders and they all seem pretty fuckin awful ngl.

E: is there a gender where people you gently caress aren't allowed more than a carry on of baggage from previous relationships? gently caress it, I'm gender-shopping.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Beeswax posted:

I’ve never watched Star Trek but the memes are consistently good. Always enjoy a batch of them

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I for one don't think the suspiciously gendered old-man-yelling-at-cloud non-memes need to be engaged with at all.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I clicked on that because I thought it couldn't be more than five minutes long, tops. How the hell is it half an hour?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Larry Cum Free posted:

ALL RESEARCH AND SUCCESSFUL URBAN PLANNING SHOWS THAT TRANSIT SHOULD BE INCREASED

bwahhhhhhh

AND CAR DEPENDENCE DECREASED WHILE ABOLISHING

MANDATORY

MINIMUM

PARKING LAWS

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not even a dude and I gotta hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSs7J7O_fl4

hell yeah

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

axolotl farmer posted:

Your haircut makes you look like a Mohenjo-Daren!

Hey axolotl farmer, I'm a Mesapota-miiii-an!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mustang posted:

But... why?

Come on man, this is the meme thread.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

Anyone remember Morbius? It was briefly a thing?

I deleted several gigs of Morbius memes from my phone a couple weeks ago actually.

And by "Morbius memes" I mean the entire movie, sometimes with a weird frame like Youtube pirates use to avoid content matching.

I have never watched Morbius, and I was tricked into downloading them. I'm certain a few were from SA.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

Also while 7 sounds useless, being able to spot which containers are empty and which are full doesn't sound too bad honestly

7 is the most useful by far as long as your DM isn't a pedant. Win any shell game and allow people to send you info undetected, even in public, by writing it on the inside of an empty container.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Modal Auxiliary posted:

As a therapist I would be loving ecstatic if the entirety of the internet could stop using the following terms until they know wtf they're actually talking about : neurodivergent, gaslighting, narcissist, trauma bond, triggered, love bombing, toxic, and grooming.

Thanks in advance.

I've got absolutely horrible news for you about every single psychological term that has ever entered mainstream usage in all of history.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Grassy Knowles posted:

What's in the wok

It's Gagh: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Gagh

The source image is on that page, too.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bum the Sad posted:

Nice underage incest meme bro

Look at what the monkey is laying on, it's clearly a stepmonkey.

Sally posted:

after 4489 pages of discussion the meme thread was shut down...

"Discussion" is stretching as a name for what we do here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
When I realized he was outlived by Jimmy Carter i felt a faint stirring of patriotism for the first time in me entire time on this earth. It passed, but gosh I see how people get addicted.

E: I'm too lazy to do it myself, but I'll happily quote a dance party to get this train movin'.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Nov 30, 2023