Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sea Lily posted:

on twitter, the TFS gang has talked about potentially redoing season 1 at some point to bring it in line with the rest of the series in quality, and just generally rewrite a lot of the jokes that didn't work, and I'd be down with that
I wouldn't mind if they did a quick redo of all the Freaky Alien Genotype jokes.

That... hasn't aged well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yo, sorry for the derail. Online culture, more or less, has moved on from Teh Gay stuff so it was a little jarring to see TFS go back to that well. I felt it was a misstep since DBZ fandom is usually pretty inclusive, but I'll kindly shut the gently caress up if it's not an issue in those communities.

Great Saiyaman when.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I...

I kind of want Gohan's VA to do a faux-cell voice when he goes around in that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

lezard_valeth posted:

I don't know if this has been posted already but ooooh boy has cartoon network made a powerful enemy: the latin american fanbase
LOL. I'm dying here that in 2018 we're making spanish language dub OPs that still sound like they're mastered using 1970s equipment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhonne posted:

Frieza literally runs around naked in his final form.
Yeah but he's really cut so....

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

chiasaur11 posted:

Yes, unlike the rich achievements of Saiyan scientists such as...
PUNCHING THINGS REALLY HARD.

Like, really really hard.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blaze Dragon posted:

Undoubtely, but would he do it as Super Saiyan Blue (Kaio-ken) or would Superman be strong enough to push him into Ultra Instinct? Or maybe it'd end up in a fused fight of Vegetto vs SuBatman.

Composite Superman, actually in comics!

VvV
SuperBro did (Basically the Superman from New 52 that didn't have 90s Superman's baggage and was brasher/banging Wonder Woman). I think it was literally called the Solar Flare.

It ended up burning him out or something because he would be depowered for a while after using it.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 11, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yes. Like 3 different times. Dude gets depowered so much he figured it'd be nice to know. Also he learned special fight moves to fight other Kryptonians who rely purely on their powers.
There was also some training with Batman, depending on which hosed up timeline DC thinks is valid this hour.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Crabtree posted:

After retelling Broly, someone takes his DNA and just makes everyone part Saiyan. Krillin becomes a Saiyan, Yamcha becomes Nappa, Goku get really weak because he's becoming too much Saiyan.

PLz don't spoil Dragon Ball Fighter Z-PLUS for us.

(that's exactly the kind of mechanic that would make a sequel work)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

New Leaf posted:

Honestly, I think they're setting up Broly to be the GoD. He's certainly got the power.
He's certainly passionate about green tail...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Saitama exists in a dimension where doing/wanting/thinking too much about something affects your reality so he's basically PunchGod now

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gonzo McFee posted:

Peter Jackson's the Namek saga is split into three films and somehow lasts longer than the original run.
No go unless Film 1 ends right when Goku finds the end of Snake Way

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm not sure what that expression is trying to convey, but I relate to it strongly.
"OH NO! I've activated my Ki and now the 4th string interns from Malaysia are doing the art!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So does everyone get an Ultra Upgrade?

Ultra Instinct, Ultra Ego, Ultra Fury, Ultra Genetics, Ultra Hunger?

Or does Cell get a hybrid Ego Instinct?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TulliusCicero posted:

Immaculate Cell
Ooh, that's a good one.

Cell absorbs some Freeza goodness and becomes Perfected Cell

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bumis should just wish to be a smart sayan

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I remember randomly finding out DBZ was syndicated (at like 6 am on a local channel, KCAL9?) because I was up early for my middle school student job.

Why the gently caress was I taping poo poo that early? Was I trying to catch Ronin Warriors?

gently caress if i know, but after working a public sanitation job, getting home, showering and watching 2 episodes of DBZ were my middle schooler version of pizza and beers.

I sat through the End of Snake Way Reset 3 times! Then he got to Namek and fought Recoome and it fuckin reset again!. I went to vacation in Mexico and what the gently caress they're fighting some Teens and a bug man?!

poo poo was wild.
I was the weird kid that liked Sailor Moon and remembered what the gently caress Robotech was. Then DBZ came around on Toonami and suddenly everyone knew who Goku was.

How the gently caress did *i* know who Goku was? Anime around that time was just this weird vat of cultural osmosis. Sailor Moon, Ranma, Saint Seiya? You just kind of found this poo poo and took it into you.

What a goddamn legacy this man left. Created a Superman for the modern age. loving hell man.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 8, 2024

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The only thing the US Media hosed up worse than DBZ was Godzilla so Goku is in good company.

(Solar parasail live-action hybrid Sailor Moon never got released so it doesn't count).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GateOfD posted:

Would like to see a DB EVO adaptation attempt at the Saiyan or Frieza saga
Now in college studying biomedicine as a way to further his KI, Goku meets a mysterious rival at a cross-school pep rally, who he believes to be the online bully RADD*DITZ. He calls his underclassman protégé, Krillin, to have him cover the lab that night. Killin objects saying he has a "hot date" and Goku humorously guesses it's with some video game.

Following the mystery person to a remote location, Goku finds that Radd is fighting a mysterious opponent, who reveals themselves as SON PICCOLO (birthed out of the dying Piccolo's body). Not knowing who to back, he fights both of them to a standstill, until Radd underhandedly rips Piccolo's arm off. Radd reveals that the Oozaru activated a psychic call to other Saiyins in the quadrant, and that 3 have been ordered to take the Traitor Goku in for re-education or DEATH. Goku challenges Radd to a race, with Goku easily getting the advantage thanks to his NISSAN NISMO NIMBUS, but Radd uses a concealed weapon to cause a crash. Confronted by a regenerated Piccolo, who has been charging his Special Cannon Beam, Goku sacrifices himself to eliminate Radd. Piccolo drives him to Chi-CHI and Bulma in an attempt to save his life, where a pair of mysterious Motorcycle THUGS overhear them speaking of the Dragon Balls through Radd's Landcruiser ExUV. They pile into a vehicle whose license reads V_GTA and take off into the green sky.

Caught between life and death, Grandpa Gohan Roshi appears to Goku and challenges him to go on a spiritual journey that will last One Month. At the end of that month, he will have faught his way across the Great Wall of China (in actually the body of an ancient dragon) to find a portal leading to the domain of the KING OF KAI, a master of Ki that will unlock his latent potential. Grandpa also tasks ChiChi and Bulma to travel the world and find 5 superhuman fighters that can stand with them against the threat of the Saiyins, who live only to cause death in their quest for the Perfect Foe.

<cue training and fighting middle>

Having failed to master the Way of Kai (KAI OH KEN), Goku revives and joins the Earth's Special Force in fighting against the totally emo bikerpunks known as the Saiyins, who say they are like the yin to humanity's yang.

The forces are able to dispatch General Nappa at great cost, while Goku has almost beat Vegeta. Knowing that the battle is lost, Vegeta causes his ship to overload, triggering the Oozaru Protocol and dispersing Lunar Radiation across the battlefield.

Oozaru Vegeta and Oozaru Goku fight an epic kaiju battle leading to Goku being brought down. ChiChi attempts to shield the surviving forces from Vegeta's Onslaught, but begins to fail. Overcome with love for his friends, Goku is able to finally unlock the Kai Oh Ken. His body rippling with red energy, his blows bring Vegeta down. Standing over his defeated foe, Goku tells Vegeta to leave and never return. The wounded Saiyin retreats, but not before commenting that he should have known that "The Prince of all Saiyins" would be hard to beat.

With his friends, Goku collapses knowing that the Kai oh Ken would strain his body beyond its limit. At the 11th hour., ChiChi discovers that she is a Spirit Princess with a connection to the otherworld. Piccolo joins her in drawing power and infuses Goku with a radiant spiritual power suit that renews his life force. But Goku is left weak and knows he will never be able to draw on the Kai oh Ken again.

As the team celebrates and vows to bring back their lost friends using the Dragon Balls, the scene shifts to Grandpa Gohan speaking to the King of Kai. They both hope that Goku will be ready for what comes his way next as the camera pans out to the universe and a shrill laugh is heard menacingly.

After the credits, Krillin, alone at the lab fumbles with equipment. He answers a knock at the door when a pretty-but-awkward blonde introduces herself as the exchange intern, Azul. Krillin welcomes her and says she's going to be a great fit with the rest of Dr. Jiro's research team.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah I also remember this, it may have been on WB's programming block or maybe UPN. I'm pretty sure it was airing pre-Pokemon show WB glow up too.
Saban grabbed a few popular Anime shows to throw around in syndication around 95. Probably thought they could get another Power Rangers sized hit with doing slightly less work and slightly more mistreatment of the talent.
As a result, a bunch of kids have this weird haze about that stuff, like watching DB Pilaf arc on Saturdays at 11:30am on UPN and then it disappearing and finding it randomly at 5am on another local network. Or watching Ronin Warriors randomly because the rights were dirt cheap.

Pokemon ended up being the breakout and I would gather it was because of the successful tie-in (games) that made people want to tune in and see more pikachu.

The Ninth Layer posted:

With all that on the table I don't think anyone I knew cared about the details of Goku's childhood or past relationships or even what was going on in whatever random episode they happened to start watching during. I think the first episode I ever saw was Vegeta fighting Zarbon, and I had absolutely no questions beyond when's the next episode on.
DB was always going to be a hard sell between the comedy, American sensibilities, ties to Journey to the West making it harder to localize. It doesn't gain steam until later and the audience just didn't stick around unfortunately.

ImpAtom posted:

Now I'm wondering what the first serialized non-anime cartoon in the US was. There's all kinds of middle grounds (stuff like Batman or Flinstones or whatnot which was episodic but did have continuity) but I mean flat-out episode-to-episode ongoing plot.
The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin (animated, not the puppet live-action) was serialized. Not entirely, but it was definitely designed with a narrative arc in mind. The history behind the character is a pretty good read. That was released in like 85 or 86.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 15, 2024

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dragon Ball Gold reboots the franchise in an alternate universe in 5 years.

A whole new generation starts with a Pilaf Arc that has less jokes about Bulma's penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Orange Piccolo is just Super Namek God Piccolo but the red ki is filtered by his Namekian chlorophyll and chi-shifts it to orange duh.