Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you dont want to trust the Chinese number, then don't. Nobody put a gun on your head. There are enough oversea numbers to do data mining yourself, instead of making pointless argument about CCP that has nothing to do with the coronavirus.

Edit, and there are at least 3 other China threads on SA if you just want to talk about China.

Talking about China and how the CCP is handling things is definitely relevant. Of course it is. Like how on earth could you think otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

We're going to leave it and you should stop talking about poo poo that you can't verify in a thread that's already got people scared you enormous loving twit.

Okay if he's wrong he caused people unnecessary stress. If he's right well that's bad but maybe you'll have prepared more because of it. Sorry if he might have scared you, it's okay he could be making everything up!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 8, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

I got a long email from my investment firm to not panic. Lol I’ve never gotten one before from them.

quote:

Like many investors right now, you may have questions or concerns about the recent volatility stemming from the coronavirus outbreak. Know that, as your Financial Advisors, we are here to help you understand what it means for the broader markets and your individual portfolio.

That’s why we'd like to invite you to listen to a special call to help you make sense of market activity as well as give you potential next steps

I hope the next steps are to invest heavily into mask/vaccine manufacturers.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

He’s joking

Anyways not good it’s already on the east coast where so many people live close together ugh

Why do you think it's a joke when it's consistent with his past posts? Even if it was a joke, it's still an rear end in a top hat troll.

Trip to Costco tomorrow stocking up on American Flatbread pizzas. Oh and prosciutto.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 2, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

poverty goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZWQMvHNOnI

this is the "duck and cover" of our time

No I'm the Duck and Cover of our time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://time.com/5805953/home-covid-19-test-everlywell/

Choo choo here comes the capitalism train all aboard! I'm kind of surprised it's as cheap as it is.

edit:

LanceHunter posted:

I would be careful trusting this company. As a friend of mine of FB who has worked with them put it: "I wouldn't trust anything these guys put out. It will be an LDT from a third party lab. The test itself will not be FDA cleared. They have (up until now) existed on the periphery of legality by testing for nutritional issues and peripheral health issues as opposed to actual diagnostically relevant testing. They keep prices low by contracting with third party, fly-by-night labs, and distance themselves from actual liability. There is a reason they are cheap and accessible."

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 20, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Wood pellets are crucial right? The cooking kind. Anyway I got those today.

edit: I would have preferred not to but I'm not going to want to get them later and delivery tends to be expensive. I definitely didn't want my mother to go do it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 28, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Home isolation is meaning that people are having to cut their own hair for the first time ever and the results are finally starting to get posted to the internet

More: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZfoQsMT

My google image search for 100% soap clothing had very disappointing results :(

https://www.amazon.com/EDGUP-Neckline-Shaving-Template/dp/B00HFD0RNU

Wait a second they improved it! Mine doesn't have the elastic.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 29, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah I'm not actually going to quote what you say.

Ohhh poor widdle VikingSkull are people suggesting that Trumpykins is doing a bad job? That's a shame. If only their was some way to prevent most people from saying such a thing. You know like Trump not being incompetent? Oh I guess that would be impossible.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mnoba posted:

super saiyan 1 should be enough to kill off the virus

VikingSkull posted:

smoking cigarettes definitely protects you, I haven't caught it yet

Would you mind not trolling the Coronovirus thread constantly? I know it's a big ask but just kindly gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

How dare you folks talk about Trumps response to the coronavirus in the coronavirus thread. I mean doing so politicizes the thread and BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Golly gee I wonder why people would want to talk about the inept response of a major country to a pandemic in a thread about a pandemic. Maybe Trump should stop loving things up if he doesn't want people talking about how he's terrible? Maybe you could post some examples of Trump being a really good leader and handling the pandemic well? No? Oh I wonder why that is.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Pool cleaners seem like they should be able to practice good physical distancing at least. And if idiots kept using their unserviced pools it could become a public health issue.

Uh you do know pool cleaners like always have to have sex with the people that employ them right? There's plenty of documentaries about this on the internet look them up do your research!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EimiYoshikawa posted:

In four shopping trips in the last two weeks, a combined total of like 9 different stores from those trips have been 100% completely and utterly sold out of any disinfecting products, all bleach products, all ammonia products, all hand sanitizers, and generally speaking everything I could possibly use to actually disinfect anything.

I do have hand and dish soap, however.

I'm getting to the point where that post about DIY soap-spray and whether it would work based on the lipid soaping is something *I* have seriously had to consider.

https://www.nowinstock.net/

Good luck.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Did you read that article? Of course you didn't seeing as how you posted just a few minutes after my post and considering The Economist is behind a paywall.

The expelling of journalists from New York Times, Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal was in response to this - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/18/us-chinese-media-propaganda-state-department - where do you see that it was in response to reporters being critical of the COVID response?

Hahahahahaha. Whelp China didn't say they were kicking out reporters for reporting about COVID so that could not possibly be the reason! People are always honest. Governments are always honest. Hahahahaha.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

I don't think a more centrally controlled economy would have helped much either. The government is only as competent as the experts it relies upon for information. And experts were wrong pretty much across the board. You had The World Health Organization saying masks aren't necessary from the beginning and the Surgeon General was repeating that line until yesterday. The data on our supply inventory for important things such as Personal Protective Equipment and Ventilators was inaccurate or just outright missing for most of the hospitals. We still don't know exactly how many we have and how many we need, nor how long it will take to get enough into production. And the one thing that could relieve hospitals from the need of ventilators, a treatment, has also become a mountain of untrustworthy sources. There is so much disagreement and probably misinformation over the whole hydroxychloriquine/Z-Pack treatment that we still don't know for sure if it works or not. You've got so many Republicans blaming Democrats and Democrats blaming Republicans that it's impossible to get accurate information without political spin. The virus is winning through divide and conquer. You'd think that so common an enemy like a pandemic would unite us. But nope. We still hate each other more than ever. And to top it off, we're relying so heavily on China, which IS a very centrally controlled economy, for supplies and data and now that's backfiring hard.

gently caress off. I am so sick of people trying to both sides poo poo so they can pretend they don't know who the main offender is. It's Trump. It's the rear end in a top hat governors who refused to do poo poo (What's that? Those states had republican governors? That's shocking). The information is easily attainable and you pretending it isn't is a load of crap. Stop being dumb, understand the difference between facts that happen to make someone look bad and facts cherry picked and misrepresented to make someone look bad.

edit: Also you can't exactly unite when both sides are opposites. Like when one side is saying hey we should social distance and the others like but but but the economy! You can kind of see how those might not really work well together.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 4, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

I'm not quoting your poo poo, gently caress off with your both sides garbage.

You blame the people responsible for the bad things and maybe you'll have less incompetency in the future. BUT BUT BUT BOTH SIDES no gently caress you one side shoulders almost all the blame and you loving know it. We all do. It's the republicans, it's Trump. Don't like it? Tough poo poo. Don't like people mentioning it? Tough poo poo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mnoba posted:

Bait. Please Duck and Cover talk to me. Maybe I can get you to say something that'll get you banned. Please DO IT.

As a hypothetical I think I'd feel bad if I voted and supported the person who is botching the handling of this crisis. I mean unless you want to suggest Trump is handling this well I'll listen. No? You rather distract from that? Yeah I thought so.

Gianthogweed posted:

But but both sides are bad!

I'm sorry I like to blame people who deserve blame. It's really not my fault that one side has been really loving up compared to the other. You can feel smug all you want how your above all that but guess what that accomplishes? The minority of people having disproportionate power because it's just gosh darn rude to point out that they suck! They suck. Say it often to make sure everyone knows and no one forgets.

Oh yeah and it doesn't have to be about Republicans versus Democrats it's just reality worked out that way. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions if it makes you feel better!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Math time with Duck and Cover. Which has the higher percentage? 3/249 or 1/277. Beats me looks about equal! So as always both sides suck one sucks measurably more. Trump sucks, if you supported him especially if you still support him!) you're partly responsible for deaths caused by his handling of covid-19.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 5, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

I gotta go do some work rn, but this is the first rule I put in the op? Bloodlust is probably worth more than a sixer but a ban seems excessive maybe a few days idk. Did I miss someone, thread moves fast, pm me if so.

Hey Burt. I know this is going to end up with me probated/possibly banned but I still think it should be said. The people with the bloodlust aren't great, but are understandable. There's a reason for that bloodlust people are loving frustrated at politicians/"boomers"/whatever who just seem to want them to die so that they can make more money.

You know what's worse though? It's the lovely assholes who pretend to be concerned by it and bait out those posts. Yet you do nothing about those. Why is that? Do you need examples? Is it because they don't make it crystal clear what they're doing and you can pretend it's a "joke" or a real desire for discussion? If you want there to be less bloodlust posts don't just probate for bloodlust posting, also probate the assholes who are instigating them. Yeah yeah I know backseat modding at least this time that's clearly what I'm doing.

Edit: Wow Burt is a loving idiot. "The people with the bloodlust aren't great, but are understandable." Does not in anyway mean I'm advocating bloodlust you dumb gently caress.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 6, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

pretty good walk-through of a wet-market with a insightful comment from a dude who lives there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbyuy2nHBg

it's pretty clearly not great, but, it's not the nightmare world some people like to pretend. I'd go here over factory farmed pork, frankly :shrug:

Okay so that's a video of one ok market deemed average (well close to I just don't remember what direction) by the host. I assume almost everyone (if not everyone) here on this forum isn't saying all wet markets are super unsanitary and so showing a video of one being fine, doesn't really mean much.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 6, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

I've seen a lot of weird hysterical talk about wet markets here and in the news. It's good to see a fairly mundane market in a mundane Chinese city, to counter the really ignorant xenophobia floating around

Sure. However I think the issue here is people using wet market to refer to "those bad markets with all the live slaughter/unsanitary conditions with the live animals", while some people want to go no not all wet markets while failing to understand the intent behind what is being said. The people using wet market aren't actually talking about the broad definition of wet market.

There's certainly xenophobes who think all the markets serve delicious bat/pangolin burgers but I'm pretty sure they aren't here.

LimburgLimbo posted:

There's your answer.

See. Doesn't understand intent.

edit: added with "the live animals".

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 6, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/20282441042/tong-zi-dan-virgin-boy-eggs

“Now that our boys are old enough to pee into a container, we decided to treat the Double-Os to a taste of their cultural heritage. They were more than eager to help out in the cooking process.

Wanna see?”

Lolllll

I poo poo into a brownie mix and all I got was this assault charge.

Okay I was wrong about Nitr0 they're an rear end. You know you don't have to constantly post the worst aspects of a nation? What good does that do? Saying wet markets with live animals are bad is one relevant thing in a Coronavirus thread, discussing virgin boy eggs? Well that's just trying to make China as a whole look bad. gently caress off it's hard enough to claim that the government of China is poo poo without accusations of xenophobia it doesn't help anyone when there's assholes just trying to go "lol China has x bad thing". Great. Unless those eggs are a disease vector instead of just gross it isn't relevant to the thread.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 6, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mozi posted:

i remembered last night i've been to a wet market before in shanghai. it's like a big indoor farmer's market. lots of fresh veggies and fish tanks, there were probably chickens as well. floor was wet. that's pretty much all i remember, did not pick up any pangolins

They're so cute though. You think I could bring one on the plane with me?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I’m hearing news that Fauci has been fired and is being replaced by a three person team including doctor drew and the mypillow guy not sure yet who the third person is.

So which one forms the head?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Speaking of using UVC for decontamination, is there a minimum time at a minimum intensity required?

Like if I just had a UVGI lamp on a battery, duct taped to my hat, would I need a mask, or could I say that virus particles are going to be reliably neutralized before they get to me? UVC lamps can cause skin burns and retinal damage, so having one operating on your person at all times seems like it would be a good way to enforce social distancing.

This is a bad idea. Do not gently caress around with UVC.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Why would you use UVC in hydroponics? That doesn't make sense? It would harm the plants, unless it was very brief exposure to kill fungal infections or something?

Are you sure it's UVC and not just like UV spectrum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4-ZeuB0pFo&t=146s

I seem to recall it being used to stress plants to make them better. (pretty sure it was a weed thing mainly).

Edit: Oh that's uvb and not necessarily a weed thing.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 8, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

anatomi posted:

The UVC lamps were part of the water filtration system. As a final treatment before recirculating the water it was given a UVC bombardment, mainly to restrict algae growth.

We have a hydroponics thread by the way. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

please continue to enforce the politics thing burt

Remember praising Burt is ok, saying he might be doing something less then ideal is not. Of course people are going to discuss the politics behind a major event. Anyway I'm waiting on my instacart order, I got doughnut muffins and other less important things.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 8, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Maybe we should have a spin off thread that can be a bit less focused on the Coronavirus? Kind of have this one for serious news and the other one for cat pics/politics and other things related?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mnoba posted:

there is a gbs thread with a no coronavirus rule

Not what I'm suggesting. This hypothetical thread would be like Coronavirus less serious edition not no edition. Like it makes sense to have a thread that focuses on important information etc. which I'm kind of suggesting this one becomes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think there's an worthwhile inbetween between the tangents this thread goes on and the CDC website. Doesn't really matter though I'm fine with this thread just thought it'd be a compromise that would allow people to discuss how loving terrible Trump and others are handling this without risking the wrath of moderators. An another important note my doughnut muffins are here.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Inept posted:

GBS should not be a place people look to for serious news about a pandemic. Even when people are trying to help they post stuff that's wrong or speculative or not peer reviewed.

This may shock you but it's better than many other places while still being something people are willing to consume. I get the idea that it's a comedy site and nothing matters and so forth but you can still glean useful information through it.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Now this is the kind of time critical, groundbreaking news I come to this thread for.

Maple Apple isn't applelie enough. I've already tried the blueberry ones before they rule. https://bisousweet.com/product/blueberry-doughnut-muffins/ . See useful information!

Alright enough non Coronavirus chat from me. https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/pa-house-readies-legislation-for-a-vote-to-reopen-businesses.html . Wonderful good idea. Wait no it isn't. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

For those curious https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_General_Assembly.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

grim question but how the gently caress is the legal system going to handle hundreds of thousands of inheritance disputes?

Are these disputes really all that common?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I feel like tv/movies make it seem more common than it is in reality.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I would assume they'll make this happen but if they won't do anything reasonable to fix this I'd honestly just try and do a chargeback on your credit card.

I went shopping three weeks ago and stocked up fairly well and then went again a week ago and basically hit maximum stocked upedness and now I'm not going back until were well past the peak which should be possible unless the peak is like 2 months away or more. But I have a 30 cubic foot fridge and a 20 cubic foot freezer and pantry items have overflowed into a spare bedroom so obviously not everyone can do that.

To all the people like this getting probed you can't makes post that are 100% politics in this thread if you haven't already figured it out. What you can do is make posts that are 90% politics and then work something that is at least tangentially 'roni related in and you're safe. Take a lesson from this guy who managed to bitch about Obama, Clinton, Biden, and democrats in general all in one post but didn't get probed because he also bitched about China which is at least nominally corona related.

Tone is also super important to mods (well I bet in varies from mod to mod some but as far as this thread goes it is). It's not about what you say so much as how you say it. If x doing something lovely you better be nice about pointing it out! Anyway my peapod (grocery delivery) reserved time has twice disappeared on me. Like I reserve a time, when I wake up it's gone. It's kind of annoying I need those Ruffle All Dressed chips.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Didn't instacart change to give 100% of tips? (as it should be) At least that's what I recall reading at some point and as we all know companies can't lie.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s not a lie, it just doesn’t mean what you think it does. A lot of these service companies pay drivers by guaranteeing them a minimum $ amount per order, let’s say it’s $10 for simplicity. What happens functionally is that if you tip 15% in-app on a $50 order, $7.50 of that minimum is your tip and the company tops it off $2.50 to make it $10 total. If you tipped them in cash $5 at the door, the company is on the hook for the full $10 minimum and the driver makes $15 total.

using in-app tipping usually just subsidizes the delivery fees for the company instead of giving additional money to the driver. At best only a portion of your tip is actually extra cash to the person you’re “giving” it to.

Yes that does qualify as a lie. I mean maybe not in a legal sense but in the I'm a person and I don't loving like being lied to sense.

"usually". I'm talking about Instacart now, not any company in the past. I've been doing some google searches but the information is buried in crap low content "articles". Search engine optimization sucks and Google doesn't seem to give a poo poo anymore.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

I saw two N95 masks at the store today. One was being worn by an EXTREMELY fat man and he had it kind of perched on/under his chin at kind of a 45 angle outward so it was like he had a scoop under his mouth.

The other was on a slightly less fat but still very fat dude and it was just like over his nose, partly over his eyes and the bottom over his mouth as he was gasping for air from under it.

At that point I'm pretty sure the masks are doing more harm than possible good.

Whelp that's what happens when you're so busy telling people masks "aren't effective" so please don't buy them so we can that you don't spend the time teaching people to properly wear them. I mean sure it'd still happen but at least you'd see less of it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DICKLORD BONE posted:

Why contain it... It's cool

It's considered rude to show it at least in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Spinz posted:

No problem
:)
It's cool, we are literally scared of serious illness and death so we are touchy and defensive.

We are all in this together :love:

No gently caress you I'm in this for myself/family (but that's because I live with them) MY HAND SANITIZER WIPES PPE GET YOUR OWN! NO TIP FOR YOU INSTASLAVE CHOP CHOP! Hold on is chop chop racist? One moment... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_chop_(phrase) . Doesn't seem to be.

I do wonder at what point having enough becomes having too much for that kind of thing.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 13, 2020