Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Chaos left the lid off my jar of peanut butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

pretty soft girl posted:

In my opinion 2 wins the consistency medal. If I remember right I don't think any portion of that game is presented as anything other than constant sorrow, struggle, and tragedy (except maybe when you talk to beavers? I can't remember much about that part)

Borghen's kinda funny! Bumbling idiot gets owned, comes back, gets owned again

Though it's not presented as funny, the final boss dying, going to Hell, fighting the Devil, then becoming the Super Devil is ridiculous and makes me laugh

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

this battle fooled me into thinking Archers were good

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Angry Jack’s Wild Ride>Tactics>6>7>5>12>10>1>9>4>8>13>2>3

Tactics has been my favorite FF game for years, but CHAOS might be good!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Console, if I can pull myself from Elden Ring. And I have to find time for Kirby too.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mega64 posted:

The Warrior of Light is a loving dweeb and I hope Jack Garland kicks his rear end and takes over as the FF1 rep in future spinoffs.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So I’m trying to play the trial on PS5 and keep getting a This demo is no longer available and cites the dates for the previous demo, which I played. I deleted that and re-downloaded the new trial but still get the same error. Any ideas?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

idea: reboot of 24, but instead Jack goes around screaming “where’s chaos?!!?” before beating some poor fucker to death. his bros do all the actual work

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Blockhouse posted:

I started playing FFXI like a month ago

It's extremely chill but boy is it arcane top to bottom

It also has the funniest loving retcon I've ever seen where you beat the base game story, watch a very short and barebones cutscene, then zone into a place and a NPC says "boy remember all that CRAZY poo poo that happened" and it plays the cutscene again but with dramatic villain reveals and plot twists happening and then the NPC goes "huh I guess the shock just made you forget"

it's so clumsy I gotta respect it

I did too! Wanted to play a new MMO and figured why not. I have a level 29 RDM/1 BLM. it was kind of trip to make the long trek to Jeuno for the mount quest. I was tickled there was a thing to do to unlock mounts, feels like forever since ive had to do something for that. The Trusts and I even died a couple times on the trip to go farm grass for the it!

Pretty cool. I’m not sure what is expansion-related or not, just enjoying the ride

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Jazerus posted:

hey i'm just gonna say this because you'd get infinite poo poo for it if anybody actually partied on retail and it's part of the classic experience...

level your subjob!!!

Yeah , I need to go do a few things actually. I wanted to finish up the San D’Oria Rank 2 quests and the RoV quest that are in Jeuno’s neck of the woods before going back to buy spells and level BLM. Though I suppose I could level here and let Trusts do the work. I have questions but I’ll take them to the FFXI thread

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

WarMECH posted:

Level your subjob!!! :argh:

I said I would!!! I’ve done a lot of wandering around, I’ve only had it for like 2 levels. I thought it would level alongside my main job at a reduced rate. A bad assumption obviously, lmao

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FrostyPox posted:

gently caress I love FFXII

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FrostyPox posted:

I didn't know JRPG was ever considered derogatory, I just thought it was simply a handy way to refer to Japanese RPG video games which have a lot of commonalities and are fairly different from most western RPGs. Like, Baldur's Gate and The Elder Scrolls are fairly different in tone, setting, the way player characters are presented, etc from like Final Fantasy and Evolution (the only other JPRG I know lmao) :shrug:

Like, JRPGs aren't worse or better than western RPGs IMO, just different

That’s how I understood it. wRPGs vs jRPGs just felt like blanket ways to describe RPGs that shared mechanics and play styles.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Dragon Warrior was a Final Fantasy-like.

DW is a Wizardry-like

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FrostyPox posted:

Wizardry is a Colossal Cave Adventure-like

(I had to loving google that one)

EDIT: Change that to Akalbeth: World of Doom-like

Akalabeth is a pedit5-like

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

doesn’t matter Final Fantasy Tactics is #1

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FrostyPox posted:

Chrono Trigger is the one with art from Akira Toriyama and has the Frog character, right? Looks dope as poo poo

EDIT: yeah, cool, I'm installing it now

It’s legitimately in my all-time Top 5. CT is insanely good

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Less basic, but more wrong.

FFTA2 though? Now that's the poo poo

I have never actually tried 2. Do I need to rectify that, or is that a joke?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

owie, a splinter

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i don't have time for this

*blasts limp bizkit at u*

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ghostinmyshell posted:

Jack vs Absolute Virtue or Pandemonium Warden in their prime.

Jack doesn’t have time for Baby Mode For Babies

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Agents are GO! posted:

Wtf are you on about, IX's boss theme fucken slaps. The only problem is having to listen to it so long while trying to steal.

And the best FF7 final boss theme is Jenova Absolute.

FF9’s boss theme does indeed slap. All of the mainline boss themes are good, IMO. I’m partial to FF8 and FF12, but they all slap

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Quick question about FF7 on Steam Deck: has anyone installed New Threat for FF7 on their Steam Deck? I’m kind of excited to play mods and randomizers on portable, and I have yet to try NT. I googled it and answers are kind of inconsistent, so I figured I’d ask here

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

yes, although I don't go through that mod launcher, I just install the mod manually and then copy and paste the game directory over the one on my Deck. others may have used multiple mods in conjunction

Thank you, I’ll give it a shot

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I want Clive and Jack to be friends

Jack doesn’t so much have “friends” but rather “additional bodies to throw at Chaos”

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Did you play SoP like at all?

Uh, I haven't finished it, but yeah? Was just a crack at some of the scenes of him being stand-offish and single-minded. Sorry?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah given the response to my bad joke i'd say something big must be waiting at the other end, lmao

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I had this game on OG Xbox and loved it. My tastes are questionable

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Terper posted:

This is the thread dedicated to Stranger of Paradise :hai:

I re-bought this to play on my Steam Deck, and it’s just so loving good. Cackling like a madman as I Zantetsuken ol Tiamat to death in mere seconds. All of the jobs are so fun. Ninja, Breaker, Sage, even the beginning Swordsman.

Glad I picked this back up. Game’s drat good, folks

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Tyrant/Sage is a disgusting combination in SoP. Tyrant w/ Fists just by itself is not fair.

For some reason, my game keeps crashing when trying to play the cutscene after Dragon Zombie. This is on Steam Deck. I hope I can figure out a fix, this game is incredible and I don't want to lose momentum :(

Edit: Whew, got it. had to change the proton wrapper.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 1, 2023

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Finished SoP. It absolutely owns. The last stretch is some of the best poo poo. I’ll echo that the ending made way more sense than it had any right to. I like Jack as a protagonist more than like 90% of the others in FF games. Well done, Team Ninja

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'm enjoying FF16 alot but I admit the RPG aspects feel kind of useless or vestigial at best. Gear is really straightforward to the degree that's boring. Maybe they just didn't want it to feel like FF7R, or maybe that thought never crossed their mind, but I find myself just charging forward to the next story beat because I don't feel the need to explore or fight non-mandatory fights. Usually I'd run all around looking for secrets or loot, but that's not a thing here. I mostly just find potions or crafting mats.

I was so impressed by SOP's job system (yeah I know it's a different dev) and 7R's combat that maybe it's clouding my opinion a bit. Variety amongst the titles doesn't hurt I guess.

Like I said, though, I'm still enjoying the experience. Cid's great

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mega64 posted:

FF17 should be a turn-based sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

He's the best

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Harrow posted:

If I were to make a mainline Final Fantasy tier list the tiers would be “Among My Favorite Games,” “Games I Like a Lot,” and bottom tier is “Games I Like Just Fine.” There really aren’t any I outright dislike.

This is me. Even though there's evidence in this very thread of me being a moron about FF13. I really like all of the mainline games, including Tactics. Like 13 and 15 are probably the weakest of the modern games, but I still ended up enjoying them both. 13 just really needed to finish giving you combat mechanics much much earlier than it did. 15 was a mess story-wise but I liked the music and the combat. Some of the Hunts and optional bosses were rad.

Can't say the same about the various spin-offs, but I haven't played them all. X-2 is great

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Agents are GO! posted:

XII runs great on pc.

Yeah I'm finishing up a playthrough of Zodiac Age and it runs super well on Steam Deck. Very cozy

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

In the spirit of the Four Job Fiesta, I managed to nab a "Triple Crown" in FF12 TZA. Not at all the same thing, but felt good nevertheless.

Zodiark took the most attempts at 5; I kept getting him down to 3-5% and failing to finish him off. Finally just steamrolled him by loading everyone up with berserk wine and the biggest weapon they could yield. Always sent in Vaan and Reddas to eat the first Darkja, as is tradition.

If we count needing to leave to buy more Phoenix Downs as "attempts" then I had to take 4 of them for Yiazmat. This was by far the hardest fight. I tried a Decoy-and-Heal strategy for awhile, but that stopped working when Yiazmat enraged. Then I did the Reverse-Decoy thing with my healer while the other two did damage. That worked okay except when things would go loving pear-shaped because the idiot AI would wander in front of Yiazmat during a breath attack and the healer would have to raise them, possibly missing a crucial Reverse cast. The insta-death procs also sent the team into a chain-rez frenzy like some old Everqust raid boss fiasco. Eventually just did the YOLO Reverse strat where everyone gets a Phoenix Down gambit and the healer just casts Reverse. Bastard finally went down. Props to you all who did that on the PS2.

Omega Mark XII lived up to his predecessors by being incredibly easy to cheese with the right setup. Reverse-Decoy on the tank while other just applies Wither over and over again. Poor bastard. At least he didn't die while frozen listening to music.

Dunno if I'm gonna do the fishing mini game to get the last badge for the Wyrmhero Blade - might just keep my medals and finish up. I'm glad I finally did those after not attempting them at all back in the day.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 15, 2023

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

i'll admit that I had a bad pre-conception of FF13 before playing it, including completely mistaking its dev process for a different game, but I ended up liking it. the complaints about it are valid, with the pacing complaint being the most relevant to me. constantly breaking the party up did have a straining effect on the overall plot, though I can see how it allowed the player to explore each character's motivations more in-depth. I ended up liking Sazh a lot; the scenes in Nautilus to my recollection did a good job of painting his extreme guilt over the loss of his son. he's an angry man lashing out looking for someone to blame, including himself, before ultimately realizing that the rear end in a top hat gods that caused everything are at fault. there's more to it than that, but broad strokes that was his motivation and it worked for me.

I would have liked the side stuff to come earlier than it did. also would have liked more of it, maybe some optional side dungeons, but that wouldn't really fit what the game was doing. probably wouldn't have been possible with the dev issues, either.

overall, game is Fine. probably a low-tier FF, but I still maintain that all of the mainline FFs are good in their own way. haven't played the sequels yet, but plan to do so pretty soon.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah it's a weird tightrope walk. FF5 and FF6 have fun optional dungeons and content, most of which comes late in the game. 12 has it sprinkled throughout. 13 is conveying a stark sense of urgency, so maybe wandering around poking into caves and ruins for treasure and/or big monsters would have been too hard to integrate. I dunno, it's not a huge complaint, just something I would have preferred.

edit: i mean other than the cie'th stone stuff in Gran Pulse

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I just want optional dungeons and side areas with cool poo poo in them. 4 - 6 did this well. here's a tough dungeon with a fuckin monstrosity at the end squatting on something cool, or an item that leads to something cool. Even 15 did this pretty well.

dev time is way more costly now, and maybe they have internal metrics like "90% of players never bother" so why waste time. that's the kind of side stuff I like though. hunt quests are fine too provided there's a real fucker waiting at the end