Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Salt Fish posted:

Why not just fit and wear an n95 properly? Get one of those official niosh fit-test kits if you feel fancy.

What are these tests and how much are they? And I'm always paranoid about my seals in general, but at least with the elastomerics I can do a quick and reliable test. It's harder with the N95s. I'm always worried when I have to wear them. Plus I remember seeing a tweet by Naomi Wu or someone posted in this thread that showed the battlegear worn by Chinese HCWs and I remember them surgical taping the N95 to their face.

EDIT: And like yeah, may have to be going to a hospital for some imaging work. And given the horror stories I read in this thread about how nothing is done to safeguard patients from prior patients who are COVID positive, and how I doubt some of these places will let me wear my elastomeric even if I compromise and slap the surgical over it, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

External Organs posted:

Huh. Just woke up and vomited.

Probably nothing...

Congratulations! Have you given any thought to a name yet?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've seen sub-12h turnaround from swab to results in scotland, the bottleneck is the lab tech analysing, and courier to collect them from the testing site

Friends of mine here in Melbourne got an alert on their phone yesterday that they were a close contact to a known case and needed to get a PCR test within 24 hrs, they got turned away from multiple testing sites which were already at capacity but finally managed to get tested at a clinic at the local university in the afternoon and had their results texted to them at 6:30am today

That's definitely an edge case in Australia right now, I'm hearing stories of people waiting 3 to 5 days for their results

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Yeardley Yartz

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Schnorkles posted:

we are really incredibly lucky that Omicron only has moderate immune escape.

We want it to be as bad as possible because collapsing the US is the only way it can ever hope to improve. We're rotting away in our little local maximum where we're devoting all of our resources to a tiny handful whose only priority is monopoly. There's no way out without things getting much worse.

The fact that there are still useful vax/mabs/paxlovid is the worst news possible.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

kreeningsons posted:

the only people for me are the mild ones, the ones who are mild to live, mild to brunch, mild to applebees, mild of everything at the same time, the ones who never mask or close biden, but wheeze, wheeze, wheeze, like fabulous red covid dashboards exploding like spiders across this cracker demon nation and in the middle you see your whole family pop positive and everybody goes *cough*

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Wang Commander posted:

We want it to be as bad as possible because collapsing the US is the only way it can ever hope to improve. We're rotting away in our little local maximum where we're devoting all of our resources to a tiny handful whose only priority is monopoly. There's no way out without things getting much worse.

The fact that there are still useful vax/mabs/paxlovid is the worst news possible.

I'd say that there are moderately useful stuff is the worst news, which is what we have. If we had miraculous sterilizing or nearly sterilizing vaccines, then whatever. At a certain a point in hellworld you do have to look out for yourself and yours. And if we had complete vaccine escape, then yeah, things would be so bad capital would be compelled to act to safeguard their profits. But as it stands things are just apocalyptic enough to keep limping along until at least the end of January.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they’re all wild types. we haven’t controlled any of them.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

They are correct, but the reason why they are correct isn't what they think it is and is kind of the key.

Yeah many of the mild symptomatic cases from omicron would have been asymptomatic or unaffected entirely by delta - the vaccinated and previously infected added to the pool of the unvaccinated and uninfected for possible hospitalizations.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OYCar/status/1473369910512291840

Lotta demographic, reporting, lag in admission and death data confounding this right now too.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Frankly I think it was more useful idiocy on her part than any kind of conspiracy. If it was conspiracy, it's hard to tell what she got out of it.

What she got was hung out to dry after she wasn't useful anymore. Yeah, she was probably pretty stupid to think she'd get a Cabinet seat or something out of it, but that doesn't excuse that hot mic stunt and other poo poo she tried to pull. She ain't the worst, but I'd say she's pretty far from being one of the "least terrible."

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 23, 2021

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Apparently I got higher than I thought and made the same bad joke twice.

My family is disappointed I'm missing Christmas, meanwhile they're going to Sunday school dinners and choir practice. I didn't think I'd be this depressed after the vaccines came out.

I expected antivaxxers to be the challenge. I didn’t expect the constant pressure of people in your life wanting you to pretend covid is over.

External Organs posted:

Huh. Just woke up and vomited.

Probably nothing...

Keep a positive outlook, there’s a lot of food contamination going around, could just be listeria.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

kazmeyer posted:

What she got was hung out to dry after she wasn't useful anymore. Yeah, she was probably pretty stupid to think she'd get a Cabinet seat or something out of it, but that doesn't excuse that hot mic stunt and other poo poo she tried to pull. She ain't the worst, but I'd say she's pretty far from being one of the "least terrible."

I still think she did that out of spite rather than any kind of horse trading mentality. I think people are overestimating her.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Doctor posted:

Lmfao we just ordered pizza for my brothers going away party (it’s only us in the same household and we all live together anyway so it’s not so much a party as it is just a farewell) and I’ve been sitting here worrying about COVID and the delivery guy comes to the door and I step out to pay and he’s just like

“drat mask. Can’t see anything when I’ve got my glasses on” and takes it off right there in front of me

Lmao

I was trying to explain to my husband that it’s not that people are necessarily choosing to be reckless but rather that most people are stunningly oblivious and my example was the ways people wear masks wrong and how common it is to see someone remove a mask to cough or yell or lean in to tell you something important and how those people think they’re doing everything right.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVx7IWbKlA

As I did for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year, I offered to cook takeout meals for people who can't visit family, which they could pick up from my porch

Only a dozen people signed up for Christmas To Go this year. I had 24 people sign up for Christmas last year and 32 for Thanksgiving 2020.

Steve, you are great people.

Thank you for being great people!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

fosborb posted:

https://twitter.com/nick_beauchamp/status/1473509106187223043?t=cdJo6opDZyH78CazsAZW0A&s=19

my wife mentioned this chart tonight and sudden intrusive voice: that updated chart was inspired by another tweet by an old web comic artist who lurks a thread Ive been poo poo posting covid charts into for 2 years

and lol gently caress off crazy voice I'm not sharing any of that

One day she's going to say, "Look at this post I saw on the internet."
And it will be a post you made.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I was trying to explain to my husband that it’s not that people are necessarily choosing to be reckless but rather that most people are stunningly oblivious and my example was the ways people wear masks wrong and how common it is to see someone remove a mask to cough or yell or lean in to tell you something important and how those people think they’re doing everything right.

Unless they are literal children or suffering from substantial cognitive impairment, I don't buy this. I can buy that there is a minority, probably even a sizable one, of well meaning people who are genuinely misinformed and think that as long as they are vaccinated, wear a surgical or cloth mask, and avoid being within six feet of people that they are safe and fine. And my heart breaks for them, because they are victims.

But the people you are describing are, again, presumably adults of otherwise sound mind. You have to be extremely unintelligent, to the point of pathology, if you are an adult and cannot understand that removing your mask to talk to someone, let alone to lean in and do so, is wildly dangerous when you are dealing with something that even the idiot popular narrative says spreads by talking or breathing. Like I can definitely imagine it happening a fair bit by accident, since muscle memory and instinct, but if they don't immediately recoil when they realize what they did, apologize, and recognize they hosed up, then yeah. They are either being deliberately ignorant and not taking it seriously, or else are profoundly stupid in a way that goes above and beyond just being dumb.

"Masks do not work when they are not worn." is something a child can understand.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

One new COVID case has been confirmed in WA, in a 25-year-old French backpacker.

The man travelled into the state from Queensland earlier this month.

WA Premier Mark McGowan said he arrived on the night of Sunday, December 12 - just before a harder border with Queensland was introduced.

At this stage, Mr McGowan said the case was more likely to be the Delta strain rather than Omicron.

Western Australia will not go into lockdown, but from 6pm local time tonight masks will be mandatory in all indoor settings, except at home or when doing vigorous indoor exercise.

Music festivals will be cancelled, nightclubs closed, and dancing banned everywhere except weddings.

Masks will also be recommended for use outside, with Premier Mark McGowan urging people to “use common sense”.

mcgowan literally said "we're banning dancing" lmao

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Lmao at Sydney completely backtracking on all "freedoms" a week later. Now back to indoor masks and QR code check ins.

lol. dnd auspol already claiming mask mandates will be impossible to enforce.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

I'm not getting forced back into the office until February now.
It's probably going to be longer than that when we're hitting a million infections per day by then.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

kreeningsons posted:

Since it's the holidays I've been keeping one of these around the apartment. Give it a little sniff multiple times a day. I think I learned to make these in elementary school, just a bunch of cloves stuck in an orange

im a few pages behind but thats a quality pomander

i bet u havent got a single moth anywhere in ur apartment

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Testvan posted:

cdc updated their forecast

lmao classic

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

There's going to be over 1 million covid infections per day in the next month and we're not doing anything to stop it now.

lol

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So at the current rate of infection, how long - assuming as is reasonable that nothing is done to mitigate this - until literally all of America has COVID?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol
also lol at passing out because of the mask
rookie poo poo, i run miles in an n95 get the gently caress outta here

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

In the year 2030 being able to smell a loaf of bread will be a superpower.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zeriel posted:

There's going to be over 1 million covid infections per day in the next month and we're not doing anything to stop it now.

lol

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So at the current rate of infection, how long - assuming as is reasonable that nothing is done to mitigate this - until literally all of America has COVID?
lol on friday my company had a maskless holiday party at some indoor mini-golf place
color me surprised as i read the email about someone popping positive and several people being potentially exposed
obviously i did not attend the party because i'm not a psychopath

soon, very soon, we are hosed

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

my cum 9/11s dashboard hit real numbers by some aggregator account and uh yeah that one made it to the dinner table lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

unfortunately there will be no more bread due to the Great Yeast War of 2027

zone
Dec 6, 2016

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

tbh for me it'd be funny if bolsonaro the covid golem catches and survives omicron too, and maybe the mutated flu going around in there

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

blatman posted:

this isnt surprising, after waging the war on christmas for so long it was only a matter of time before christmas fought back

war WITH christmas

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

In theory, outlasting everyone and maintaining your health in the next couple years should land you whatever job you want at a decent salary

However, that presumes society will still be functional

zone
Dec 6, 2016

McNugget Buddy posted:

In theory, outlasting everyone and maintaining your health in the next couple years should land you whatever job you want at a decent salary

However, that presumes society will still be functional

maybe at a 1980s level with 2020s technology

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

this is my greatest fear

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

fosborb posted:

my cum 9/11s dashboard hit real numbers by some aggregator account and uh yeah that one made it to the dinner table lol

I check on it occasionally and it's never updated any more :(

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Blitter posted:

3 billion over the next 3 months.

https://i.imgur.com/LOEs7s6.mp4
(mute off)

Absolutely loving IHME this am for adding the dramatic and dire predictions, and music!
lmao jesus christ

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

just did a count and i have 6 respirators/gas masks, 1 of which was obtained before covid (coincidentally, a gift from a friend in 2019 from a store that would be looted in june 2020 in the twin cities)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

my wife mentioned this chart tonight and sudden intrusive voice: that updated chart was inspired by another tweet by an old web comic artist who lurks a thread Ive been poo poo posting covid charts into for 2 years

and lol gently caress off crazy voice I'm not sharing any of that
lmao in a few social circles i've downplayed how 'plugged in' i am with covid several times just because otherwise people will think i'm loving crazy
oh for real? delta? what's that now? hmm.. yeah guess we should be careful. i mean i'll just keep my head down and wearing these kf94s/n95s and see what comes next yeah just wear a good mask

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

fosborb posted:

family members treat me as an authority on covid because of my job, but everything i say comes from this thread.

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
I’m starting to consider applying for other jobs outside teaching in the university even though I spent most of my life clawing desperately to get that kind of job and have only been a sessional for like 3 years but dr Bonnie Henry is giving us marching orders back into the plague pits but I don’t want to die sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!