Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've been off bikes for about six years now and I'm starting to get the itch again. My father-in-law let me have a go on his TW200 and I quite enjoyed it. I don't want to ride the thing on the highways and I don't have the room for a proper bike trailer, but a co-worker showed me that hitch racks for dirt bikes are a thing and now I'm seriously considering buying a 200 of my own.

The only real problem is I live near Seattle and the used market is completely insane. There's very few listings in general, and if there are people want $3500 for a salvage title. Is it worth watching the classifieds for a cheaper bike in the PNW, or should I just grab one new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

If you're going full dirt bike, get a dirt bike, not a t-dub, they're cheaper and they ride better off road there are plenty of deals in the area, like this older YZ

If you want a dual sport, look out for a Husky FE-250/350/501 or KTM XCW (that's the equivalent, right?) Which can handle highway speeds and trails.

Make sure you check out FB marketplace too, there's some deals on there, keep your eye out every day, the good poo poo goes quick, it's the overpriced bullshit that never sells that clogs up the classifieds.

Let me know if you need any help or anything, I'm out on the Kitsap Peninsula.

Hmm, I’ve been off Facebook for years, didn’t even think to try it, thanks.

I’m definitely leaning more towards a small dual sport. It needs to be street legal, some of the rides my father in law wants to take me on are mixed trail and road. The TW appealed for how simple it was.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Hmm, this is great info, thanks guys. I'd been researching the CRF205L before and liked the idea of something in that class. I'm decidedly average height so seats above 35 inches concern me a bit, I should go see if I can find a place to sit on a WR250f, CRF250 and XT250 back to back.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I sat on a bunch of bikes today and I think I'm going to try for an XT250. I liked the lighter weight. I felt comfortable on the CRF250l, but the XT was just a better fit.

Are crate damaged bikes worth considering? One of the nearby dealers has one for $600 off. Then again I'm going to be in eastern WA next weekend anyway and this is even cheaper and undamaged. Just need to find a trailer to haul it.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 23, 2019

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Well my father-in-law has found a deal on a used 2017 xt250 with 1500 miles for $3700, everything but taxes included. A good deal for the PNW? I'd nearly convinced myself to be practical and give up on my motorcycle dreams again, but I'm seriously tempted by this one.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

That seems like a great deal to me. They usually run a little over $5k new if I'm not mistaken so getting a $1300 discount for something 2 years old seems like a great deal, especially in the PNW so long as it has a clear title and is in good shape. They aren't of the YZ/WR variety so people who ride them tend to treat them better so they likely won't be as thrashed and crashed. If you're looking for a XT250, its worth going to look at that one.

Thanks. It's at his local dealer that he spends a lot of time/money at, so I'm pretty comfortable that they're not taking me for a ride. Going to drive down next weekend and ride it.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
This thread has me seriously considering an SV650 if I ever buy a street bike. How are they for short (< 30 minute) highway commutes?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gorson posted:

Highway or freeway? You'll get blown around a bit in heavy winds and by passing trucks but as far as comfort and ergos go they are perfect for sub 30 minute rides on back country roads or highways. They're just not ideal for long stretches of slab. If you're doing that you'll want to upsize a bit to a sport tourer.

Bigger freeways. My commute to work is about 15 miles (16-40 minutes depending on traffic) of 6-lane freeway. Honestly if the electrics were a little cheaper I'd be looking at a Zero, but they're still about a 5-grand premium.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

Sat on a 2018 Ninja 650 today. Sigh, now it’s all I want.

I’ll see how I feel once new riding season starts. I’m still trying to hold out on moving up from the 250.

I upgraded from a ninja 250 to a ninja 650 and it was fine. Used it to commute around the SF bay area. It liked the highways a lot better than the 250 did, but everywhere else I honestly preferred wringing the heck out of the smaller bike more.

I'm back on a 250 (dual sport this time) and looking to compliment it with a 650 or electric commuter, but this time the head of the pack for dinosaur power is an sv650 instead of the ninja.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Next year I'm moving to a new job in Seattle that will have severely limited car parking nearby. I'm considering commuting by motorcycle, ~15 miles of mixed freeway and city traffic. I've currently got an XT250 for trail riding (and an electric bike for the summer,) but it's really not comfortable doing freeway miles in the wet.

Anyone got suggestions for a good commuter? Eyeing the V-Strom 650 or perhaps splurging for something Zero makes.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Coydog posted:

Better tires for the xt250, and a windscreen. :colbert:

I bought a windscreen already so perhaps I'll just go buy a second set of wheels to be able to swap the tires quicker and start with that!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

What commute exactly? I commute Seattle/Bellevue. I5/I-90 mostly, 520 sometimes. Depending on your route you’ll want a good2go pass. Motos aren’t exempt from all tolls. You can use HOV lanes though, and motorcycle only parking exists in various places if you look hard.

Zero would be rad- check if your home or work would have charging. ADV bikes like the Strom seem popular here for year round commuting.

What sort of gear do you have- budget for some heated and waterproof gear and be a year round commuter. Top box or other luggage is rad too.

There’s a good motorcycle scene in the area- plenty of new and used bikes. Good local shops. There’s even a semi decent local magazine/podcast focused on PNW motorcycling- Sound Rider.

Factoria to Fremont. 90 to 5 99% of the time.

We recently had to get a new breaker box for the house, so I got an extra 40amp 220v socket put in at the same time, charging at home shouldn't be a problem.

I've got a set of Alpinestars Andes v2 jacket and pants. They've been quite warm, was looking at Revit's waterproof overpants so I don't have to change at the office, probably some form of heated glove liner too. I've got the budget for a set of luggage, at least a top box.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Although I am a noted not-liker of the Versys 650, the Versys 1000 is apparently an off-road Ninja 1000 and owns quite a bit.

What's the general opinion on the V-Strom 650? I hear great praise for the SV650 and they share a similar engine.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Does NZ have the Yamaha T700 available? The response to those seems to be good, and I see it compared to the 690 a lot, though it's definitely more of a dirt oriented bike.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i want a motorcycle but im poor

i daydream about buying a chinese 4-stroke bike conversion kit on amazon and putting it on my road bike(cycle) to make some kind of 1920s board track like abomination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4AiZyN88l0

If you want still be able to go on bike paths do anything that isn't offroading and are willing to spend more: https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ready-to-roll-kits.html

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Anyone have any experience with the new super cub? It looks so great, and I'd like to have something smaller for zipping around the neighborhood.

An ex co-worker bought one for commuting across the ferries in Seattle. He really enjoys it.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've ridden my father-in-law's TW200 around and they're great fun. Low, grippy, and a ton of fun on tight trails where you're not going very fast anyway. Fortnine did my favorite review video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2a-sUdaNJ8

I ended up going with an XT250 because the disk breaks and slightly more power for short freeway stretches, but the TW's great.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Ténéré 700 would probably fit into that category.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've become super interested in getting a 'practical' bike for a daily commuter when/if the current situation blows over. Honda's NC750x DCT is currently at the top of my list, has anyone tried one? The DCT is tempting for all the stop and go city traffic I have to do (no lane splitting in my state.)

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Hmm, thanks guys!

Nitrox posted:

I tried Africa twin and Goldwing DCT and both were surprisingly good. You can still downshift in full auto mode. But otherwise, pretty boring. In regular and economy setting, they just go up to highest gear as soon as they can. Test ride before you buy, and not just in a parking lot.
Yeah, definitely something I'm not buying without a decent test ride at minimum.

Slavvy posted:

I mean, there's a lever right there on the left but if you want double the complexity and pointless automation then yeah sweet!
I'm not planning on getting rid of my manual bikes, just looking for something different for commuting through heavy traffic. Honestly if the electrics were a few grand cheaper I'd probably pick up one of those. I wish I could find good data about the reliability of the DCT.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 10, 2020

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

When I was just learning (ie first or second time on a bike) I asked these questions too and Slavvy correctly informed me that I need to learn to use the clutch.

He was right. Please don't get DCT if you're a new biker. Learn to use the clutch. It'll make you a far far better biker.
Oh definitely, an automatic is not the way to learn. But this isn't close to a first bike, and I wouldn't get rid of the manual one I have now, I'm only considering it as an addition.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pretty sure the new GSXRs have a quick shifter both for up shifts and downshifts. Ignition cut on upshifts, auto-blip on downshifts.

It’s still a regular motorcycle transmission underneath it all, no DCT

Unless I'm very much mistaken, I'd have to go all the way up to the GSX-R1000R before they add a quickshifter. I mean, those are very cool bikes, but I'm not sure I'd want to commute to work on one every day.

The KTM 790s and up (and the RC390/390 adventure) also have quickshifters, but then I'd have to buy a KTM.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rolo posted:

Is there anything challenging about buying a new/used bike from a dealer across state lines?

I bought my latest bike from a dealer across state lines, and they just had an extra page of paperwork they filled out which I had to take into the DMV, who then charged me sales tax. I bought it in Oregon though, which lacks a state sales tax, so that may have made things easier.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jack B Nimble posted:

This was fantastic, thank you. I'm sort of settling on the idea that a dr650 would be a great choice IF I was already comfortable off road, but a 250 will be a better choice to start with. So, I think I'll keep an eye out for a used KLR 250 (efi) or a Yamaha xt250, and ride that for a year, then maybe move on to a dr650 later. And I could still keep the 250 around because maybe, finally, I could actually convince a friend to ride a little if I transported the 250 to a trail.

I sold my ninja 650 and stopped riding for a few years, then bought an xt250 last summer and have really enjoyed it. It's at the top of it's range on a freeway and gets blown around a lot at that speed, but anything 50mph or lower and it's great. I'm probably going to pick up a larger road bike in the future, but I'm keeping the 250 as a trail bike.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
How much do lowering links muck with geometry? I finally got to sit on a T7 at the local dealer, but my 30 inch inseam couldn't get the ball of one foot down without sliding off the seat. Apparently the low seat (which isn't even showing up at Yamaha US for another month, let alone at the local dealership) pulls 20mm off the seat height, and the lowering links another 20mm, but at that point I wonder if it's just worth looking at other motorcycles.

The T7 shocks felt SUPER stiff too, there was essentially no sag when I sat on the bike, but I've only ever ridden dual sports. Do adventure bikes generally have no sag in the suspension, or was it just a bad showroom floor setup?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like a bad setup, they're usually pretty plush. If you're having to do all those things to bake the bike lower you're better off with a lower bike IMO, the ground clearance and height is half the point of having a dual sport in the first place.

Nitrox posted:

I have a 30-inch inseam and both my feet touch the floor while sitting on t7. Not fully planted, but stable enough. I'm also 5'9 am I riding boots give me another inch

But t7 has so much suspension travel, you can probably take 2 inches away and it will still be functional. Going to have to jump some smaller boulders I guess.

And the rule of thumb is, lower front and back equal amount

Hmm, thanks. I suspect the dealer had just slapped the bike together and left the suspension on the hardest settings then. Would be par for the course with those guys.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Given how tight bike supplies are, it's amazing just how many used Africa Twins with < 2000 miles I see up for sale at reasonable prices.

After riding a bunch of ~650cc 'adventure' bikes over the last couple weeks looking for an upright road commuter, I've confirmed I'm the most boring motorcyclist possible, as I actually like the NC750X the best. But for about a thousand dollars more, I could get a couple year old Africa Twin 1000 with very low miles.

How much of a fool's errand is it to try to time new model releases? There's rumors of a whole new line of 850cc Hondas to be announced later this year, and I'd hate to buy a brand new bike only for the updated version to be announced a couple months later.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Teneres? Especially the new 700? They look like dog poo poo, but I was thinking it might be a nice compromise between the blandness of the Honda, and the KTMness of the KTM offerings.
I managed to get a T7 demo out of one of the local dealers while trying a bunch of different bikes. Only got the chance because the first buyer hadn't consulted his wife and had to return it, so it had a few miles already. That bike re-sold within days and all the dealers in the greater Seattle area are sold out for months.

If I wanted a big dirt bike that could be ridden dozens of miles of freeway to a trail then handle the dirt excellently, it would be at the absolute top of my list. Everything Ryan says about it is true.

It feels top-heavy though, way heavier than anything else in the ~600-900cc range. Felt about like the new 2020 1100cc Africa Twin to pick up off the side-stand. I would personally need the lower seat to feel comfortable with that much weight that high (with my 30 inch inseam I could only get the ball of one foot down by sliding a good distance off the seat) and nobody knows when Yamaha America is going to get them.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Honda recently took out a patent for something similar to T7 based on Atwin platform/nomenclature

My NT700 is based on Transalp platform and is loving excellent at eating highway miles. Tall suspension and narrow weight placement is apparently amazing at mitigating garbage pennsylvania mountain roads.

If Yamaha would simply outfit T7 with Super Tenere ES electronics, I'd be buying it tomorrow. But for now I'm probably looking to pay double for Tiger or BMW GS and lug 100-150 of extra weight around

Yamaha actually makes a more street focused bike based around the CP2 engine. It's called the Tracer 700. They just refuse to bring it to the US.

The closest we get is the Tracer 900 GT, which IS a very nice bike if you're looking for something lighter but with some of the Super Tenere touring comforts.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 11, 2020

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Ryan at Fortnine is still my favorite, though Ari and Zack are a very close second.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

FBS posted:

Is there any motorcycle ever made that gets girls to talk to you instead of random dudes?

I had a couple girls in SF stop to tell me they liked my lime green ninja 650 many years ago. That’s the only time strangers commented on that bike while I had it.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I rode a friend's Zero again and came away with a burning desire to own add an electric motorcycle to my stable. However, I really feel like this is a segment that could do with some cool vintag-y looking bikes. Is anyone making anything like that which is actually purchasable and not vaporware?

https://www.energicamotor.com/energica-eva-esseesse9-old-school-electric-motorcycle/

Comes with DC fast charging and a bigger battery option, but the AC charge rate is lower. Has a chain and reduction gears so it’s louder than the zero, but some people really like the whine it makes. Dealer network is not as good as Zero in the US, but they’re working on it.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mirconium posted:

Oh poo poo there is an electric with fast charging now? How long for a full battery on a DC fast charger? <20 min?
Energica quotes as 20 minutes, but real world tests are between 20 and 30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFgZ2JQ_hFU
He's got the smaller 13.4KWH battery here, the 21.5KWH packs are new for this year I think so there's less info on their charging rates.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Hell, as long as the carbs don't need loving with, I could be persuaded to go carbed. The Bandit 600 the training school had had water ingress into the carbs which caused it to be an unreliable POS, hence my wariness... I am fine with turning on the choke to start it and then turning off the choke later, but any fuckerey beyond that when trying to get back home on a rainy day from work would suck.

The commute is about 35 miles one way (90% motorway, i.e. at a constant 60 to 70mph), so 70 miles daily (it won't be daily though, I doubt I'll be going into the office 5 days a week).

Ninja 250 doesn't sound bad... How is it ergo-wise? I don't want to be bent over much, and it looks quite sporty, particularly with those clip on handlebars?

Here is an example in the UK for £2000 or so: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202008062161536

EX300 is a Ninja 300 right?

Sounds pretty decent. Seat looks a bit ballsmashing...

Here's an example https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202012036752051 for £2400 which seems fine...
The Ninja 250 (and the 300) are going to buzz at 70mph, but it's not too bad. I did enjoy having to bang through all the gears on my 250 more than the 650 that replaced it, definitely a case of having more fun riding a slow bike fast. The 250 does have a significantly tucked riding position, part of why I got rid of it was it put too much strain on my wrists (but I've got RSI from an excess of computer-touching.) If I had to do it again I'd get a Versys 300, but they seem rarer and more expensive in the UK than the US.

If you want the most practical commuter that can handle freeway speeds without being at 10,000rpm, it's probably the NC750. I spent the last year trying to work out which motorcycle I wanted to buy to do my commute, and ended up putting my name on the list for a 2021 NC750x assuming they actually come to the US. I figure it will last me till they get solid-state batteries into motorcycles 5-10 years from now.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you want a ~1000 cc sport tourer I’d look at the Versys 1000 and the tracer 900 (GT for both if you can find them.) The Versys 1000 is a very different machine to the 650.

Edit: Perhaps an Indian FTR 1200?

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 31, 2020

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

AlphariusOmegon posted:

Wow is the 650 really so boring? Well, I suppose I'll go for the 1000 or the Tracer 900 (Both available nearby thankfully). Is there any important update from the 2019 model to the 2020 or 2021 version that I shouldn't snap this 2019 up?

Zack Courts put it bang center of his daily rider chart with good reason. There’s no part of it that you could describe as “bad”, but it does not stand out in any way. Goons tend to like exciting/interesting/storied motorcycles.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
The tracer 900 I test rode was perhaps the most fun bike I tried. My only problems were a slightly too tall seat height, and a shift lever that was a pain to get my toe under. Both of which seem to have been solved in the 2021 model.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 31, 2020

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

bengy81 posted:

I love my XT250, it was tough to choose between it and the T-dub. It's extremely an old man bike though, definitely doesn't turn heads at all, which is good or bad depending on how you live your life. I'll probably try to get a TW when my oldest kid turns 16 so we can cruise fire roads together.
I was riding my xt250 to the local farm supply store to fill the tank with ethanol-free gas last weekend (I always try to make the first and last tank of the season ethanol-free) when a woman rolled down her window at a stop light to ask me a bunch of questions about the bike.

My father-in-law has a T-dub, and while it's an absolute joy to ride, I'm happier with a disk on the back and EFI.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 16, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Half of these it sounds like you made up. "FortNine"? come on, son
They actually have a video explaining the name!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSAR0b-0w8k

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Snapshot posted:

No worries, I didn’t know where to look. I’ll ask the dealer about how much it would cost for the major plastics; It looks like this problem may solve itself, as they’re apparently in low supply. What should I be cross shopping? Drz400, drz400sm and a conversion kit, wr250r? It’ll need enough go for about a 300km highway transit at ~110 kph with a weekend’s worth of gear from time to time.

Really feels like the drz400 or dr650 are your main options. 250-300cc is going to struggle going that far/fast with luggage, and if they do, you're going to be pretty worn out by the time you get to the trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Fat Tire E-Bikes are especially great, particularly if you're going to be going over sand. If I lived in some sea-side village and wanted a two-wheel vehicle to bop around on the beach/run errands with, I can't think of a better idea than something that light with big buoyant tires and extra power to get me out of ruts.