Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKVYrjMXMqc

This is probably the best Botchamania segment of all time. It's the best/worst ladder match I've ever seen.

Edit: Starts at 6:31.

I had forgotten just how out of it Austin was during that match. That's scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Have they ever actually counted it as an official title reign? I thought that the WWE had actually been pretty consistent about that one.

No. When they mention the match, their stance is that the gently caress-up meant the results were thrown out and the Hart Foundation kept the titles.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Red posted:

The 1997 Royal Rumble.

It debuted Stone Cold's watch, though, and led to The Final Four match, so it wasn't all bad.

Yeah, '97 had the AAA guys. '96's is notable, so to speak, for Takao Omori out of loving nowhere and for no apparent reason.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm sure this one has an obvious answer that I can't think of at the moment, but has there ever been a title match that had to be changed on the fly due to a botch? E.g. Has a champion won a match he was booked to lose over a botch?

Don't know if you'd consider this a botch, but going back to the '60s, Bill Watts was brought into Southwest to put over Texas champion "Sailor" Art Thomas. According to Watts's version of events, Thomas completely blanked on how the match was supposed to begin or flow. Watts was pretty green at that point, was depending on Thomas to run the match and couldn't improvise well, so he'd take Thomas down, work his limited amount of stuff for a couple minutes to give Thomas time to get into the match, then ease off to let Thomas take over... only to have to repeat the routine ad nauseam when Thomas didn't take over. Eventually, they made the call to mercy-kill the match and put Watts over for the belt.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

John Cena posted:

im sure its just a vinceism when it comes to names, but why was regal's name changed from steven to william?

He was Steven William Regal at first, but there were "too many Steves." Made sense to Regal, according to his book; he was just happy he got "William" instead of something worse.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I haven't seen the version that's on OMG (which is inconveniently no longer on Netflix) but might it be the spot where Nash wraps Hebner's belt around Michaels' neck and hangs him over the ropes? It's a pretty gruesome spot even for today, and way worse than the tie choking that got Daniel Bryan temporarily fired a few years ago.

Yeah, as far as I know, every compilation version of the match cuts out after the sidewalk slam, missing Diesel choking Hebner to steal his belt, whipping HBK, hanging him and then beating him with a chair while he's hanging. This lovely video shows some of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3EeCPLegvw&t=68s

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

That part of the match is on the old HBK "From the Vault" DVD from like '03.

Huh. That's kind of embarrassing, since I have that DVD somewhere. Now I kinda want to dig it out and watch that match.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

Now I kinda want to dig it out and watch that match.

Did this...

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I just rewatched it and it totally holds up btw

...and can confirm this.

So many of the small touches are great, too. After the powerbomb through the table, Nash just dismisses Shawn entirely, grabs the belt, climbs into the ring and tells Hebner to strap it around his waist. Shawn drags Lawler's chair back with him from the announcer's table and unintentionally brings along Lawler's headset and monitor outlet. Even Lawler thinks Diesel has crossed the line, as do most of the rebellious fans who were cheering him to that point, when he goes into the crowd, drags out Mad Dog Vachon and steals his leg. Hebner's sell of Shawn low-blowing Diesel is outstanding. And Shawn's post-match celebration ties it all up; he goes into full-on adrenaline-celebration "gently caress you" mode and even knocks Hebner out of the ring.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I'm also a fan of Vince shouting at Shawn "Let it be over!" when he gets up after the table spot and Vince's headset has been destroyed.

Yeah, this may even be better than all the things I mentioned. Shawn's face is scrambled, no part of his body is moving the way he wants it to, and Vince is just trying to keep him down, yelling "stay down! just let it be over!" loudly enough for the camera's mic to pick him up.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Minidust posted:

Speaking of the "Good Friends, Better Enemies" PPV, what the HELL was up with that Goldust/Warrior match? I'm assuming Goldust was legit injured, but "card subject to change" as been a thing as long for as long as I can remember. Did they just really hate the idea of pulling an advertised match back in those days?

Goldust was hurt, and I believe they specifically didn't want to pull Warrior from an advertised showing unless there was no way to avoid it.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

So, I've been watching some 80's shows on the Network, and I keep asking one question:
Why and how did Lord Alfred Hayes get and keep his job? The man looks terrified whenever he's in front of a camera, stumbles and stutters over anything that's prewritten and generally sounds nervous as hell on commentary. He seriously sounds not so much like English is his second language, but like he's unfamiliar with language itself. And he was employed that way for ages!

Was he an old buddy of Vince Sr. or something?

He was a mainstay of British wrestling for two decades, had a decent run stateside with Heenan as a manager, and as far as I know, was pretty well-liked for most of that time. I was also a fan of his tweener commentary style, though as you might expect, generally not of his execution. He joined the WWF in '82, so he wasn't a holdover from Vince, Sr.'s days.

Short answer: I don't know, but I sort of understand.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Memento posted:

even his ridiculous nicknames aren't original.

Nobody ever thought they were. Striker's whole thing with the nicknames was making obscure references to amuse the people who got them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

HBK: Coming down from the ceiling on a zip-line.

There's obviously a good reason why this won't be most people's, but for me, HBK's Wrestlemania moment is from the WM20 main event: Shawn and HHH put Benoit through the announce table, and Shawn, who's not much more than a smear of blood at this point, pulls himself back into the ring, stands up on shaky legs, and just points at HHH and back at himself to say "now, finally, it's just you and me."

Spikeguy posted:

Rock: Beating Cena clean.

This one has to be retiring Austin at WM19, IMO.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

Also, who was the dude who would show up doing squash matches sometimes on early-to-mid 90s WWF? Really buff Asian dude with a coolie hat and writing all over him who would do massively stiff kicks and a ton of handstands and stuff. I remember being terrified of him as a child.

To add on to GWH's answer, he wrestles primarily in Japan as Jinsei Shinzaki, but also did a few matches under that name in ECW and Chikara. He's had a really good career. Ditch can hook you up with his best stuff, but this is a neat little rarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2swfqkMm44Q

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I think his last WWF match ended with being branded by Bradshaw, so yeah.

Yeah, and then the next week or a week later, they announced he'd been so ashamed to lose to Bradshaw and get branded that he asked for his release.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes. This was literally a thing Vince suggested. I like Christian but he's so ugly. What if he had a blue dot over his face like the networks did with the woman that accused some Kennedy of rape? Cause like he's so ugly that you can't show him on TV!

I thought he was specific that Christian's face bothered him for reasons other than ugliness.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

That's actually in a three-way tie for his third worst match, according to Meltzer. The worst is Brothers of Destruction vs. Kronik at Unforgiven 2001 (-**).

People don't realize just how many awful, awful matches 'Taker has had, largely due to the WWF strategy of "throw monsters at him and he'll look awesome when he beats them." Which, often, he did, but Christ, those matches could get ugly.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

Y'know the super-common spot of a wrestler going to a ref and saying that, no, that pin was totally a 3-count, you are a bad ref, etc.? Has that ever actually worked and ended a match?

The spot is intended more as the wrestler trying to influence the ref into counting the next one faster, and/or as a signal the wrestler's frustrated and angry and will probably make a mistake soon because of it (Eddie Guerrero in the Halloween Havoc '97 classic is a good example of the latter).

Of course, given the lovely state of today's commentary, those intentions never really comes across.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Not close enough.

STONE COLD TAKES THE BURNING HAMMER OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!

(So in the alternate timeline he breaks his neck twice! :haw:)

Not that this wouldn't have been great to see, but Kobashi didn't break out the Burning Hammer for the first time until October of '98.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

And then he had to dump the gimmick because parents' groups complained that Al Snow's doll carrying a "decapitated woman's head" glorified violence against women.

To be fair, it's not like accusing wrestling of glorifying violence against women is a far-fetched proposition...

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FunMerrania posted:

Outside of the kliq and his own family did anyone ever have any beef with Bret?

Flair and Bad News Brown come to mind immediately.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I remember him tapping out Waylon Mercy, thereby ruining the one good thing 1995 WWF actually had.

Nah, that didn't ruin Mercy. Spivey just physically could not go any more. He debuted at the end of June, was over enough to wrestle Bret in August (and only Bret and Savio Vega, of all people, had televised wins over him), and was out of wrestling for good in October.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Trollologist posted:

I'm thinking about just doing away with kayfabe in all forms, IMO the reason a lot of people don't watch wrestling is the perception that "it's fake". I think if you started promoting wrestlers the way actors are promoted it would bring a lot of legitimacy back to the perception of pro-wrestling. You know instead of saying "C.M Punk is at summerslam!" you'd say "Summerslam, Starring Phil Brooks as C.M Punk" and just really coming clean that it's all a show. But the ring is the stage so, while the show is going on no one breaks character (like any stage play or tv show)

This is, in large part, what Vince Russo wanted and was trying to do. Not necessarily what actually happened in WCW, because as it turned out, Russo wasn't good enough at it and the wrestlers weren't, either. But it's the kind of thing he was talking about in interviews before/during WCW and really all the way back to when he was Vicious Vincent on WGBB radio.

On its own merits, I don't see why you would get people to care doing this. When you're pulling from the Vinny Ru playbook, I think you need to go back and think "am I going to be able to do this better, and can I trust that the workers will be 100% into it and be able to pull it off?"

Overall, you need to do something that makes people watch, not just not do things that make people not watch.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

You'd think libertarians would love the wwe success story of keeping wrestlers from unionizing and maximizing profit through douchebaggery

It's essentially the same inferiority complex kind of thing as Vince has toward other rich people. Just like Vince hates that he's looked down on as a glorified hick, libertarians (I'm generalizing a bit, plenty of other libertarians are fine with him) hate that if they do everything the way they think is best, they're going to be following in the footsteps of a glorified hick.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember someone mentioning a Japanese wrestler who essentially murdered a trainee he didn't like with a wrestling move. Anyone know who I mean? IIRC the wrestler is married to another wrestler.

Kensuke Sasaki? Whether or not "murdered" is the proper term is open to interpretation, though.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Did Jake ever even have a World Title/Main Event program? OSW Review makes him seem like the definition of an Upper Midcard Gatekeeper. Even when he had his feud with Warrior that never finished due to DRUGZ or his feud with Savage over the wedding they weren't in the World Title picture.

I bet Jake vs Hogan would have been an incredible feud. The DDT was the most over wrestling move of the 80s, the question of whether or not it could be the thing that finally beats Hulk Hogan when he survived so many other deadly dangerous finishers would seem like a big potential draw. Not to mention those two in battling promos would have been the stuff of legends.

Jake and Hogan had a planned feud that never got off the ground in late '86. Jake had Hulk as his guest on the Snake Pit, they got into a fight, Jake drops him with the DDT, all well and good... except that the fans weren't on Hogan's side as much as they were supposed to be. That led to the angle being brushed aside immediately; they edited the DDT out of the segment when it was broadcast. Vince pulled the trigger on Jake's face turn just a couple of months after that.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

What is generally considered the worst WWE match of all time? For this question I'll say that the Patterson and Briscoe evening gown match is out since I feel like that's more of a comedy skit than an actual match.

Meltzer has two at –*****: Mr. T vs. Piper from Wrestlemania 2 (which you may not count) and Junkyard Dog vs. Moondog Spot from the Wrestling Classic in November '85 (which is only 45 seconds).

If you want something more substantial, he has two at –****: Hulk vs. Andre from Wrestlemania III (opinions will vary...) and The Bushwhackers vs. The Rougeaus from Wrestlemania V, which may be your best bet. The next-worst singles match he lists is Warrior vs. Goldust from the April '96 IYH.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Because, while he can be very funny and charming,

(note, it plays his theme kind of obnoxiously loud)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1y-LKwvLU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dias posted:

Rey says he's about 5'4" so he's probably 5'3". Would make sense seeing he took a picture with Cristiano Ronaldo who is 6'1" and the top of his head barely reached Ronaldo's shoulders. Also, a picture with a dude that is actually 5'6" (Drenthe) that had some inches on him.

Your numbers seem right. AJ Lee is 5'2" (allegedly?) and Rey's only got an inch or so on her.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It is well known my favorite move is the casual right-in-front-of-the-ref eye poke. One of the greatest heel moves in wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B64vHLuUkio

I'm never sure if I prefer his long, precisely-set-up eye poke or his no-sell into eye poke. Today I think it's the latter.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Also: Has there ever been a luchadore to lose multiple Lucha De Apuestas matches?

Many. Brazo de Platino has lost 18. Super Parka is at 10, and I think El Dandy is around there, too.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Negro Casas has lost a ton

Yup, he's also double-digits.

ChrisBTY posted:

So do they just decide to shear El Dandy every 2-3 years or so for a laugh?
You can't lose your mask that many times though can you? I mean a career can't possibly be long enough.

In the end, it wasn't even "every 2–3 years." El Dandy lost a hair match on September 17, 2000, lost another one in April 2001, then lost another on September 16, 2002. That's three losses in a day short of two years!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jackie D posted:

I can't imagine mark Henry ever getting under 275 or whatever the Olympic wrestling limit is

I think in that Sports Illustrated profile that gets posted every time people talk about How Ridiculous Mark Henry Is, they mention that if he had 0% body fat he'd still be pushing 300 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Plus Goldberg had just come from the NFL where contracts aren't guaranteed and its all about making your money and getting your poo poo before a concussion or bad knees or younger guys end your career at 28.

And, sure enough, an injury ended his NFL career at 28, so...