Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Electric Lady posted:

Stone Cold was actually a recurring character on Nash Bridges.

There WAS an "ultimate fighting" episode of Nash Bridges, though, which featured Ken Shamrock doing bare-handed murder in the opening sting (before disappearing from the rest of the episode) and Dan Severn, wearing a ninja costume and ambushing the heroes with throwing stars.

Over in Japan, I found out that there was some random teenage romance movie that featured Manabu Nakanishi as a mover, with a crew consisting of Abdullah Kobayashi, Mammoth Sasaki, and a mysteriously masked Daisuke Sekimoto:

I know plenty more of this stupid poo poo but I think all of it begins to stray outside of the scope of the original question.

Halloween Jack posted:

That sounds like a much more fun version of Champions, a really bad "underground death fighting" movie with Ken Shamrock as the final boss. It had really lousy fight choreography.

Champions' strength was in its dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Paul Ellering and Rocco, too. I am still trying to forget about them.

and POWER WARRIOR !

I side with "Legion of Doom" b/c "Doomsday Device" is a badass move name and it makes more sense with the LoD nickname.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Someone find the Big Japan Flaming Barbed Wire ring match

I think BJW actually had a few of those. Most of 'em (including the ones in Puerto Rico and W*ING) had the benefit of not being nearly as crazy (ring setup-wise) as FMW's offering, which actually nearly killed Ed Farhat with smoke inhalation.

Of course, W*ING negated some of the danger of flare-ups by pre-soaking the ring with water, causing the wrestlers to slip around, and then W*ING Kanemura took a bump directly into a bigass fire and got lit up anyways...

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
They were actually short as hell, but honorary mention goes to the Headhunters (the Puerto Rican ones) for being extremely rotund but still busting out corkscrew moonsaults and poo poo. They also had like zero stamina, though, so after a few minutes they went from "fast and flippy flying fatties" to "sloppy short fat dudes"

Don Leo Jonathan wasn't exactly a speed demon, but for a really tall guy, he was agile as hell. Like, "backflip to get out of holds," "dropkick a sucker off the top turnbuckle" type stuff.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Why did Goldberg have a match with Naoya Ogawa on some HUSTLE show right in the middle of his first WWE run?

Same reason that HUSTLE had Mark Coleman team up with oni club-wielding Giant Silva, Rikishi fighting the forces of evil with dance, Akebono Taro as the Great Muta's egg baby, and Bob Sapp vs. Tiger Jeet Singh: yakuza money and an unbridled sense of wonder and why-the-hell-not booking.

Mostly yakuza money, though.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Taiwan had a scene in the '70s and '80s centered around a man named Kan Man Huang, or "Lion King." Supposedly Inoki scouted him, but the only Japanese involvement I could find with him was a couple of AJPW shows.

That's almost the entirety of what I could dig up on that scene. I also found a random clip of what appeared to be a Taiwanese or HK based fed from the 90s, showing off some pretty rough skills on a variety show... plus a fake Yokozuna. I'll have to see if I can find that again.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I can't find anything about that online and Kan Man Huang isn't Lion King in either Chinese or Taiwanese. Do you have a link?

I think he only went by Lion King in Japan, or just used it as his nickname. When I get home I'll look up some of the material I found - there's a bunch of Chinese language articles on him but most of them are like brief "who's that?" articles, plus a minidoc series that is basically just him training.

The only English-language hits I got for him were credits for his roles in kung-fu movies.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I can't find anything about that online and Kan Man Huang isn't Lion King in either Chinese or Taiwanese. Do you have a link?

http://www.baike.com/wiki/%E9%BB%84%E6%A0%B9%E5%B1%98

http://zenpower.pixnet.net/blog/pos...%A0%B9%E5%B1%98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YfoZtq2HU

Some articles say that he was actually champion of the already-mentioned mysterious South Korean scene and I'm inclined to believe that. He headlined or co-headlined several shows that AJPW did in Taiwan in '86, but I didn't find anything else about a Taiwanese wrestling scene outside of those mentions, aaaand this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27FTIhcNZZ0&t=362s

I know literally nothing about this thing.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Cheers. As far as I know, the only wrestling here nowadays are the NJPW shows and WWE does a show here every two years or so.

Lemme know if you find out anything else about him! He counts as "pro wrestling" "kung-fu movies" and "stupid poo poo nobody cares about" so he's basically center in a venn diagram of the things I like.

TV Zombie posted:

Can you tell me more about the South Korean Wrestling scene? I'd love more information or videos about it.

Sorry, I don't know much about it besides random mentions here or there. Kintaro Ohki started it, NWA veteran Pak Song was apparently a pretty major figure in it and that's all of what I know. No idea if the Korean exchange wrestlers from early FMW were part of that scene or not, especially considering how little footage I've seen of that group.

NutShellBill posted:

For the uninitiated:

Who is the guy writing under this link who think Triple H and DX were both always terrible, barely passable acts? I mean I never really wanted to hear another 20 minutes Raw promo, but Triple H could always make a case for top 100 in the world right?

Or am I getting older and more forgiving?

Just my opinion, of course, but I grew up a WCW dude, got out of wrestling, and then got back in, so I always accepted the idea that HHH was a helluva worker at his best. Then I looked back at all of his "best" matches and realized that, man, no, "passable" is the best way to describe him. He wasn't a horrible death-knell-of-our-sport wrestler, but he had absolutely nothing special to bring to the table besides booking and a cadre of co-stars who all had something special in their own right.

He embodies most of what I dislike about pro wrestling, but I wouldn't put him on a "worst in the world" list. Instead, for that, I'll second the nomination for Tony Halme. That guy got some pretty big pushes for a guy who managed to drag a bad match out of Volk Han.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

While we're on the subject, what's the strangest combination of two wrestlers in a match? Including multimans but not stuff like battle royals unless they had significant interaction. For me, it's hard to beat Simon Gotch having a (6 man tag) victory over Misawa under his belt.

Vampiro and Bob Backlund were part of a trio in WAR.

John Zandig and Shinya Hashimoto were in a 6-man against each othet, and Kana fought Super Leather. Sadly, no footage of either of those, but I really felt like those were some truly absurd matchups

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

A trios match or the same team? Because if it's the latter, I gotta know the third man.

Same team. Third man was Dos Caras

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
To paraphrase Gary Albright, Bad News was an Olympic medalist in judo, and even if he was "just" a bronze, you better loving respect his skill.

Speaking of: Gary Albright strikes me as a guy who would probably not do too great in a REAL mma match, but could probably handle someone shooting on him in a grappling match.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

sticklefifer posted:

What sport has blowup doll fights and dog champions?

There's nothing in the rulebook that says a blowup doll CAN'T play basketball

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't forget their top rope DDT, or Rick's incredibly unsafe top rope bulldog.

Not that a top rope bulldog is terribly unsafe in concept, Rick was just broken-down and didn't give a gently caress.

Don't sleep on Scotty's standing backflip powerslam, yo. I don't know how many times he did it, but I never saw him do it without disaster.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Koji Kitao vs. Nobuhiko Takada. Koji Kitao is a disgraced Yokozuna with a history of hot-headed bad decisions and acts of rebellion, Takada is an egomaniac that kicks hella hard.

Takada brought Kitao into his own promotion, UWFi, to job after a hard fought battle that would - ideally - give Takada publicity and Kitao legitimacy.

After the publicity was generated for the match and tickets were sold, Kitao threatened to back out unless the finish was changed to Kitao going over. He held out for more money, until Takada's people gave the right number to make the match end in a draw.

A few seconds into round 3, Takada makes one of the most satisying decisions he's ever made.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Steiners/Scott Norton vs. Hellraisers is a pretty good jumpoff

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Mil Mascaras was putting on fast-ish (if not really good due to ego) matches a decade ago, and he was already 1,000 years old at that point!

As of a few years ago, Yoshiaki Fujiwara could still pull out a decent match, but he's always had a really slow style anyways.

I saw a Super Tiger/Tiger Mask I match from last year where I remember that he seemed pretty spry, but I can't remember much else about it soooo I imagine it wasn't great.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Gavok posted:

It was very bad.

I loved the parts with Vince but the rest was just.... eeeuuuuuuuuugh.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Blasmeister posted:

If he had exactly 1 million dollars then how did he pay for the million dollar belt

He bought more money

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
CM Punk to Ganryujima, plz

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

EugeneJ posted:

What trainer has produced the most world champions?

Karl Gotch and Yoshiaki Fujiwara have got to be up there, though there's the technicalities that Gotch was often a co-trainer and most of Fujiwara's students formed their own companies that had their own world titles.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Quick question: what was the deal with the WWF Light Heavyweight championship? It was originally a title that got absorbed into the J Crown or something, then was up for a grabs in a weird tournament that Taka Michinoku won, then did a whole lotta nothing with X-Pac until it just faded away? What gives? WWF just not giving a poo poo about Jr's? Taking a shot at WCW doing well with Cruiserweights?

The former is what I've always heard. They just plain forgot where it went, and I'm willing to believe it since iirc Ultimo brought it out on WCW programming

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

The Eddie chair trick is stolen from someone in Japan, I remember it being a move in the old Fire Pro games.

I don't have a timeline on who did it, but I believe that move belonged to the Florida Brothers

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Recently saw a up of something like a piledriver, off of a ladder, ONTO the top turnbuckle

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
666 has a parody Yakuza gimmick, but good luck sitting through enough 666 to appreciate it.

Isn't Chono's "Yakuza kick" called the "kenka kick" in Japan? Or am I getting video game names confused with reality yet once again

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Web Jew.0 posted:

Prichard's podcast is a big hit and he has a "gently caress Dave Meltzer" gimmick. Imo it's a decent podcast and I've enjoyed it every time I've listened. Russo has a similar gimmick because Dave says he's a lovely booker. A lot of WWE fans dislike him for rating NJPW matches higher. Him palling around with the Young Bucks draws the ire of people who hate the Young Bucks.

There are a lot more online wrestling fans in general now so there are also more fans of his than before - sometimes a significant portion of wreddit front page is his tweets and quotes from WON/WOR. Naturally, this in turn leads to more people disliking him.

He refuses to acknowledge Yoshiaki Fujiwara and Volk Han and that's damning enough

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Takuan posted:

I forget which company it was, but one of the Japanese deathmatch promotions in the 90s did an inferno match that had to be stopped after a few minutes because the flames got so big no one could breathe in the ring.

FMW. One of the competitors (the Original Sheik, who would've been, what, almost 70 when the match took place?) actually had to be hospitalized from smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion (fake edit: I guess he got burned, too)

W*ING, refusing to learn from FMW's mistakes, did their own outdoor fire deathmatch. This match went far better than FMW's for a while, until W*ING Kanemura got completely engulfed in flames.

I think BJW did a few fire deathmatches too, but I remember those being a lot less... "just surround the entire ring with lots and lots of burning logs, what's the worst that could happen??"

e: WWC in Puerto Rico did a fire deathmatch I seem to remember being pretty alright, but they hardly wreathed the ring in flames. Yeah, gonna say it's a "not worth it" stipulation.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

alright, so I'm going to ask something that might feel like a "do my homework for me" question, but... this has been kind of a bastard to google and most of the results i'm getting are modern WWE.

who all, in the wrestling world, has been revealed to be a pothead? i'm putting together a pool of possible participants for a Fire Pro 4/20 tournament, and so far I've got:

Io Shirai
Session Moth Martina
RVD
Sabu
X-Pac
The Godfather
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Honky Tonk Man
Rick Rude
Matt Riddle
Iron Sheik
Konnan
MVP
Randy Orton
Brian Kendrick
Val Venis
Road Dogg
Darren Young
Jack Swagger
R-Truth
Evan Bourne
Heath Slater
Kevin Nash

is there anyone notable I'm missing from this list, particularly people from outside the US and/or women? i only know Io Shirai and Martina do it because of goon scuttlebutt, they didn't come up at all when i googled.

I know it's too late but how are you gonna include Io Shirai and not NOSAWA Rongai, her boyfriend at the time of the weed arrest and known buddy of ICP?

Also towards the end of her career, Kyoko Kimura was just straight up wearing marijuana-themed gear.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

VJeff posted:

What're some examples of in-match dialogue that you like?

My favorite is probably always gonna be Owens yelling "Don't make me do this!" at Sami Zayn right before Zayn kicks him to death.

Scott Steiner, yelling "HE AIN'T GETTIN' UP FROM THIS ONE!!" right before killing Hiroshi Hase.

It's one of the most powerful sound bytes ever.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

TheCool69 posted:

Oh drat.. how did i miss this.

I thought that when Cage barked that before dropping Joey Ryan with a screwdriver, he was being original..

drat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8wigNal8m8

I remember marking out when Cage did it, at least.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

DeathChicken posted:

I mean is this Masato Tanaka? I imagine it would involve piledriving yourself onto a chair

it's actually Minoru Tanaka, so it's a suplex but he punches you square in the mush

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Smoking Crow posted:

Do any of you know about Titanes en el Ring and can explain who The Man Who Carries the Block of Ice was and what he did in story line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2FLa4hF-Zo

The traditional ice harvester dude is a classic Argentinian image/job but I can't tell you what storylines he may have had.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has anyone else done a similar thing to the Three Faces of Foley? As in actually referencing their other gimmicks and going back to them as part of an angle.

I think Shinya Hashimoto randomly went back to his old excursion gimmicks in either ZERO1 or HUSTLE but I don't think it was part of a feud, I think he just... did that.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Lethwei is Burmese kickboxing according to google.

with headbutts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Whatever happened to Isis the Amazon/Aloisa? She was hired by WWE for OG NXT in 2010 but was replaced after her adult photos were discovered or leaked. What did she do after leaving WWE? Return to wrestling or find work in a less lovely industry?

I think she wrestled for some tiny indie or two and went back to acting, no idea if that panned out for her.