Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

VitalSigns posted:

It's my God-given right as a parent to beat the queer out of my son if he turns out to be a nancy-boy, but the school won't even tell me if he's a fag! They actually let him decide for himself whether it's safe to come out or not? What am I supposed to do, beat him preëmptively just in case?

Well, this article is written by Linda Harvey, a hilariously-backwards, shriekingly anti-gay religious right pundit. She actually wrote an entire book called "Maybe He's Not Gay", which devotes at least one chapter to how to shut down your child's sexuality and immediately get them into a conversion camp if they come out as gay to you. Seriously, one of the major points of the book is "He's actually straight, he's just rebelling!" The idea that an LGBT kid could have a support group outside of their home is a terrifying proposition for her.

If any of you feel like going down a funny-but-sad rabbit hole, look her up on Right Wing Watch or another site that follows anti-gay pundits. It's obvious that she's homophobic in the purest sense of the word; she is genuinely terrified of anyone who isn't straight as an arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

This isn't an e-mail or a meme or anything like that, but my dad has really been getting caught up in the "Blame Obama and the DOJ for the two cops shot in Ferguson" wave that's sweeping right-wing media now. He's particularly obsessed with the idea that the Ferguson protesters were "professional protesters", essentially paid actors that were deliberately bused in from other states in order to agitate people into rioting.

Is there any specific source of this talking point, or is this a hold-over from the John Birch Society's "communist agitators are everywhere" days? I'm trying to poke around on the internet for information, but all I'm coming up with are sites that say that the Sandy Hook massacre and the Boston Marathon bombing were elaborate false flag operations that used the same "actors".

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Oh if they hadn't brought in these outside protesters nobody in the community would be outraged by the murder of Michael Brown, the police response to it, or the treatment of Black residents of Ferguson as detailed in the DOJ report. Why would you protest over those things? Gotta be outside opportunistic agitators, because nobody would get upset by these things unless they were told to.

That's... Actually pretty close to what he thinks. He subscribes pretty closely to the "racism is over so stop talking about it already, blacks" school of thought. Any frank discussion of racism in the public sphere instantly puts him on the defensive, and he views Al Sharpton as one of history's greatest villains because of that. Any reports on institutional racism are just people trying to stir the pot and divide us all, since we're all un-hyphenated Americans, dammit :911: (as long as we all act exactly like white people, of course)

His deal is actually pretty easy to figure out, I was just wondering if "The Ferguson protesters aren't even real" is a talking point anyone else has heard of and/or could track down.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

And it should be up to the legal system to protect us from sin.

2012 Democratic National Platform posted:

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I've seen a lot of that "more bothered by what Clinton has done than what Trump has said" bullshit on twitter today, as if he'd just made some inappropriate joke. Are people really so dense that they think the problem is him saying he likes to assault women and not the fact that he assaults women?

I honestly think that a lot of those people haven't actually read/heard what he said. A lot of places are just reporting that Trump "spoke lewdly about women", so they think he must have just said some cheesy joke about tits or something, and liberals are flipping out about it.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Speaking of which, this is being passed around on twitter, with the argument of "Obama said it too! Your move, liberals!" Because, of course, the only reason people are mad is because Trump said the word "pussy".

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

My favorite angle about that picture is that it purports to be Obama talking about eating ribs. That's pork. How's that gel with the secret Muslim thing?

The concept of Taqiyya gives people who are :tinfoil: about Muslims the ultimate out.

He was eating pork? Well he was just trying to blend in with American society. He drinks beer? He's just trying to bring our guards down. He regularly goes to a Christian Church? How devious, he's infiltrating it to change it from the inside!

Obama dropping the façade and finally revealing his true Muslim faith is one of those "any day now!" things by this point.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Jesus actually does seem to strongly imply he is God a couple of times, though from my recollection they're mostly in John, which was the last gospel to be written and really dialed up the "Jesus is divine" angle from the other 3.

Yeah, if you put the gospels in the order they were written, Jesus goes from a wise man who says the apocalypse is nigh, to a divine being who advocates civil disobedience, because the apocalypse might not be that nigh after all and seriously gently caress Rome, to literally God on Earth who just wants us to get along and be saved, because the apocalypse won't be for a while. They were written by different people for different audiences, so the Jesus of the Bible is much "hazier" than a lot of people pick up on.

Also, more on-topic for this thread, my dad has finally jumped full-force onto the Trump train, and it's because of the release of the "grab them by the pussy" tapes. My dad has always been conservative, but he was lukewarm about Trump... up until Trump started complaining that he wasn't being treated fairly by the media. Whenever he whined that he wasn't given enough airtime, my dad would nod and say "Well, he has a point". After the first debate, my dad angrily accused the moderators of being paid Hillary shills. He used to be still cautious not to praise Trump and appeared to disapprove of his actual personality, but now that's gone completely out of the window thanks to the "media conspiracy" to take down Trump. That was enough for my dad to go full-blown support, despite the awfulness of what Trump said on the tapes, and he's following lock-step with the "It was just locker-room banter" talking point now.

So, my dad is one of the few people who has actually flocked to Trump because of that audio leak. Yay. Fun. :smith:

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

My dad's a conservative in sort of an unthinking way - he voted for Trump just because he was the Republican, but it's starting to dawn on him that maybe that wasn't the best idea. The only thing he does seem to have strong opinions on is gun control. He hasn't been having a very happy week.

This is the first time in a while that he hasn't been able to use his go-to rebuttal, "a good guy with a gun could have stopped this". With every other massacre, he relied on imagining A Hero showing up and popping the gunman in the head as soon as he reveals his evil intention. But this couldn't have even hypothetically happened in this case. It seems to have broken his brain a little bit; now that the Jack Bauer Defense is out, he's been alternating sharing articles blaming Democrats for politicizing the shooting, and conspiracy-friendly articles that are Just Asking Questions.

Normally he isn't the type of person to post political things on Facebook, so this struck me as odd. But then I remember he's a card-carrying member of the NRA and then I get sad.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If we had Fox News in 1890 they'd be reporting that the Lakota were plotting a WMD they call "G.H.O.S.T. D.A.N.C.E." which is rumored to resurrect native ghosts through infernal magic and commit mass genocide against the White race.

This is pretty much canon in Shadowrun.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Thump! posted:

The idea that the North even started the war is loving stupid. They didn't start shelling Confederate positions, it was definitely the traitors opening fire on Federal positions and killing American soldiers.

Well, you see, the South was unfairly manipulated into attacking first, because they were being betrayed from within by a shadowy group of, well, let's just call them Globalists...

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

You city goons would be amazed at the surprising number (not a majority but a sizeable minority) of people in the country who think that cities are literally 100% like the beginning of Demolition Man and that you'll almost certainly die if you go into them while being white. Rich, white liberals also manage to live there but how this is achieved is, shockingly, not the subject of much thought.

A big part of my job is travelling into the mythical Muslim No-Go Zones of the Twin Cities. It's harrowing, let me tell you. Once you cross over that threshold into Mohammedan Territory, you can be sure of three things:

- There will be more halal butcher shops
- You'll see more women wearing hijabs
- That's literally it you assholes, everyone's still just kinda bored and baseline polite

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Ashcans posted:

What happened with Jade Helm anyway? I remember people talking like they were going to put Texas under martial law and murder everyone, but I don't think it was even acknowledged that it didn't happen.

During (or just before, I forget) the Jade Helm exercise - which took place over several months, despite conspiracy theorists making it sound like a sudden, violent coup - there was massive flooding in some areas of Texas, and suddenly a lot of people flipped over to thinking "hey, being surrounded by federal troops is actually a good thing!"

In addition, the politicians who threw Jade Helm-truthers table scraps saw the writing on the wall and shut up about it, their tune changing to "why yes, we will accept federal aid, thank you very much."

There were still holdouts, but they were in the "wal-marts are still being converted into FEMA camps and the government has ordered 3 million Muslim guillotines!" tier. Once politicians stopped exploiting it as a way to lash out at Obama, most people seemed to simply lose interest.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I couldn’t be arsed to read the article and this was an amazing takedown, but in addition:

China can’t “call in its debts” anyway; they’re all T-bills or other time-demarked loans, where the US will pay $(X*1.05) in ten years for $X today. They are an amazing deal for the US because people trust US debt so much that in the depths of the Great Recession people were taking a guaranteed loss because at least they knew their money would be safe there. (Until Republicans started loving with the debt ceiling, acting like we wouldn’t pay our obligations and ducking up our amazing credit rating, that is)

In my experience, the people who even bring up "well China's gonna call in its debt, and then what?!" believe we live in the Tom Clancy universe, and it's just going to be a pretense by the Commies to invade the USA mainland until a plucky group of highly-trained patriots save the day by blowing something up. Realistic and grounded views on macroeconomics aren't really their thing.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Anime is the most egregious example of stupid gender roles. Almost every high school story involves girls falling all over a protagonist that is bland as bland can be. One of those dudes that is not offensive but also doesn't really do anything. Often they are explicitly made bland so viewers can project on to them.

God help him if he joins some sort of themed club because he will have to beat the girls off with a club to protect himself.

It helps that underneath all of the edgy violence and "adult themes", the anime and manga industry is actually quite conservative as a whole. Individual exceptions exist, of course, but in most shows, romance and sexuality is kept within a rigid, societally-acceptable framework. Even in series where gigantic anime titties are flying all over the place, the "standard" wait-until-marriage path is the only one presented as correct.

So, someone who watches a lot of anime, especially harem and light novel adaptations, is being bombarded with sexual images meant to tittilate, and the social pressure that sex is only meant to be done in the one "correct" way. It explains a lot about the incel movement, and why so many anime girl avatars are mean to me on Twitter.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It is. Where I'm from all the hardcore fundies sent their children to the Catholic school. There's a really weird thing there where a lot of the Catholics are themselves more like psychotic evangelicals.

Yeah, in rural areas, Catholic schools are often the only established religious education centers out there, so Protestant parents who want a religious education for their kids (and don't have the time/money for homeschooling) can't be really picky. This leads to a lot of "Catholic" schools that sort of shift into being generically Christian with only a few Catholic trappings, so parents don't get mad and yank their kids (and money) out.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

E-Tank posted:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article220462715.html

Some fuckwit thought it'd be clever for him to burn a bunch of books in protest of the local Gay Pride event. Of course the issue being that the books he burned were from the library, and not his to burn. He literally borrowed, and then burned them.

Now he's declaring he will 'never pay for them' so I guess he's going to end up going to jail for theft.

Every right-wing Christian news source I've seen has been portraying this as a Strong Christian Warrior finally taking a stand against the Homosexual Agenda Juggernaut, so be prepared for a flood of "he's being persecuted for simply having Biblical beliefs :qq:" if he actually gets punished for anything.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

https://www.trunews.com/stream/small-iowa-town-confronts-lgbt-movement-head-on

The rest have been from Midwestern-based radio broadcasts framing it as "Well can you blame him, folks? They're coming after our kids!"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Goons in the politics zones are currently super dismissive of anything not supporting a huge liberal swing and I think setting themselves up for some disappointments...but also this is Chuds saying "nu-uh" to blue wave memes and trying to will it into existance.

Yeah, while it's important to keep your expectations tempered, Republicans are knee-deep in desperate demoralization tactics now. Their main goal isn't to actually trumpet a cause or appeal to moderates, it's just to convince Democrat voters that it's pointless and that they should stay home. It's why a lot of places will report the race tightening in the weeks before the election (and I'm no scholar, but I'd have to assume that happens with most American elections) as "Huge Republican surge at the polls!" with a giant chyron saying "RED WAVE INCOMING?!" on-screen. It's also why internet chuds are hitting that stupid NPC meme so hard, and why just about every radio personality I've heard has responded to the attempted bombings of Democrats with "Look, even if it ISN'T a false flag, this is why the left needs to stop protesting and saying mean things about Trump!"

Well, it's that, and in the likely event that their side loses, they won't have to pivot as hard when they inevitably go the "Democrats stole the election, they illegally stopped the red wave!" route.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

He really only needed one sword. It was important to prophecy that he be arrested for insurrection and travelling in a group while armed absolutely forced the Romans to act.

Yeah that story in-context was a political/religious ploy, but if you ask most Evangelical Christians today about the point of that story, they'll say "Well, Jesus isn't just some feminine pacifist and tells his followers to buy swords, and really if you think about it the modern-day equivalent of a sword is an AR-15, sooooooo"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Like when they bitch about participation trophies it's like hey you fuckers who do you think is giving them to us in the first place? That sort of crap happened because people older than millenials started to complain that their precious little crotch spawn didn't get any trophies at all. This insane demand that my kid be the best led to "gently caress it, everybody is the best and nobody is different." It wasn't millenials turning everything into a competition then losing their minds when somebody else's kid won.

Plus, I can't remember a single kid who actually wanted participation trophies. We all knew they were bullshit in the rare instances we actually got any.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Except first off who is actually saying we should ban bacon? Nobody wants to ban bacon. Well some extreme vegans maybe but I'm going to guess that's a tiny number of people. Bacon isn't going to be banned any time soon. Second don't they know that Muslims don't give a poo poo of non-Muslims eat bacon? Actually no they probably don't.

The people who think pork is Muslim kryptonite are a certain type of person. They tend to believe all Muslims in America are insidiously using democratic processes to usher in "Shariah Law", which is essentially just "make everyone but Muslims second-hand citizens". Once they get enough laws passed, the Taqiyya Signal will light up the sky, and every Muslim will grab their caliphate-issued scimitars and start legally slaughtering the whites True Americans in the street for the glory of their moon god.

Needless to say, not many of them have ever actually, y'know, met a Muslim person, because they assume they're all just screaming maniacs pretending to be normal people. "We shouldn't ban bacon!" is just their code for "Don't give those Mohammedans an inch, or they'll kill us all! With scimitars!"

(seriously these assholes are obsessed with scimitars)

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

It isn't via email, but I think this is the proper place to share it. I went to a meeting with a client today, a janitorial service. The president of the company was the only one on the office, and he was on the phone with someone, obviously frustrated. When he hung up the phone, his first words to me were, "Hi, okay, I need to ask you to vote Republican, because I've been trying to track people down ALL DAY, they just don't want to work!"

I was kind of taken aback and didn't really say anything in response, but glancing around the room, it was filled with Trump merch, because of course.

Like... how would Republicans being in power make his workers more punctual? Does he think that Trump has the magical ability to force people to work through his sheer force of will? Does he think that Democrats taking the House last year means that everyone is just lazy now? Aaaagh :psypop:

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

ErIog posted:

I'm assuming they're talking about the whole bit where Jesus rose from the dead after being crucified.

It's... complicated. There's a line in the Qur'an saying that Jesus was not killed nor crucified, but there's been a lot of debate about what that verse actually means. Some Muslim scholars say that the whole Crucifixion story was just made up, some say that while Jesus was nailed to the cross, God whisked him away to heaven before he actually died, and some say that while someone was nailed to a cross on Calvary, it was just a random dude that God made look like Jesus for extra irony points, essentially. No matter the interpretation, the story of Jesus' death in the Qur'an emphasizes the arrogance of sinful men, thinking that they were able to stop God's message from being spread.

But yes, this is a subject that has been the subject of untold hours of man-hours of theological and academic study. Your grandma on Facebook does not begin to give a single poo poo about the nuance.

^ yep that's the one

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

I see this stuff. And I ask them.

Where was this sentiment when you were calling Obama the antichrist?

"Whaaaaat? We NEVER said that! We treated Barack Hussein Obama with utmost respect! It's not OUR fault he decided to pit the races against one another!"

Stuff like that post gets under my skin, because, like... from an outside perspective, it's totally obvious that Trump is just going through the motions in order to keep Evangelicals on his side. He is a massive, public, unrepentant sinner, but he mixes in a reference to God in a couple of speeches, and delegates someone to start a prayer before cabinet meetings sometimes, and he thinks that that's enough.

And then I read a post like that, and realize "holy poo poo that's enough". People think that "Sure, Trump gave hush money to a porn star to cover up a recent affair, but look, he was photographed with a bunch of pastors laying their hands on him!!" is somehow convincing enough to justify them putting on a MAGA hat. Burn American Evangelicalism to the ground.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

I'm from Minnesota, and I'm currently down in a Southern state for a company-wide training program. Every day that I've been on the road with a boomer coworker, as soon as I said I'm from Minnesota, they've launched into an anti-Ilhan Omar FW:FW:FW:FW rant. Like, no political subject was brought up previously, but as soon as I said "Minnesota" the floodgates opened. Marrying her brother, saying that 9/11 was no big deal, saying that she hates all white people, all the greatest hits. Three days in a row.

I was caught off guard the first day, but after the initial ambush, I started pushing back, and as soon as I asked "where, exactly, are you getting this information?" they IMMEDIATELY changed subject. One of them mumbled something about "them" doing a lot of research, but didn't clarify.

This afternoon, I got an ad on a random website with the text "SHOCKING! See the video that Ilhan Omar doesn't want you to see!" underneath a photoshopped picture of modern-day Omar smiling with a blurry shot of the burning Twin Towers in the background.

I am so, so very tired.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

You know, they're caught my interest. How do dildos make human males' penises smaller? Like, what are they doing with them for that to happen? :psyduck:

There's a whole, if relatively small, wing of conspiracy thought dedicated to the evils of plastic and how it's turning us all gay and whatnot. They claim that even lightly handling plastics fill us with "feminizing hormones", pointing to studies that kinda, sorta suggest they can affect hormone levels in mice. Sometimes. A lot of the time they don't even appeal to any outside evidence, because Big Pharma has compromised the whole system.

So, yes, this person's thesis is probably "a woman using a dildo has poisoned her pussy for the rest of her life, so all of her male children will be so flooded with feminizing hormones that their dicks will be small and they'll wind up gay." These people aren't big on science, just the totally-agreed-upon-by-everyone observation that men today are wimps but were strong and manly in the past, and something nefarious needs to be behind it.

I used to know a guy that thought poo poo like that in college. He claimed that gay people didn't exist before the 1960's. He's a roboticist now.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

You'd think a roboticist would know about Turing.

I brought up known homosexuals from earlier times, but he just said "oh, those people weren't gay in the same way people are today," but then refused to elaborate.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Before 1960 every gay guy was gay like the Greeks (good), not gay like Queer Eye (bad)

In retrospect, yeah that's what he probably meant. He just brought this up over drinks with a study group, out of the blue, as if we were supposed to marvel at his big brain for finally "figuring it out".

I just find it amusing how all of this "feminizing" stuff is completely divorced from reality. I saw someone freaking out on Twitter just a couple of days ago, saying that the Impossible Whopper has hundreds of times more estrogen in it than hormone treatments do. If you could just grow titties by eating a burger, I have a few friends that would be loving thrilled.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Also, gotta love the multiple "oh no! Gays!" dogwhistles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sodomy had been a death penalty offense in the Roman Empire for a long time before it fell, right?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Dang, they got us. This is exactly how socialism works.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

My grandfather posted this and it's a triple whammy

1. The tax bracket is 1000x too low from Sander's actual plan
2. That isn't how US taxes work
3. What is it even implying

I think it's supposed to be a "Gotcha, socialists! You're actually going to be making less money than you do now, once the government STEALS most of it from you!!" thing. It's just the knee-jerk boomer reaction to anyone suggesting a mild application of socialized policy. Of course this person hasn't read Sanders' actual plan, Socialism means everyone's poor forever!

Although it is funny that the supposed nightmare scenario of "I'm paid slightly less than I am now, but at least if I go to the emergency room I'm not stuck in medical debt for the rest of my life" is still something a lot of people making minimum wage would be totally fine with.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

My favorite twin towers ones are the ones where they completely forget most of the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia and we still are BFFs with them. My dad posts one here and there with Ilhan Omar super imposed saying "never forget those that seek to destroy America"

Just going off of the people my dad follows on Facebook, I get the strong impression that most Republicans today believe that Ilhan Omar had a fairly substantial role in organizing 9/11.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

I knew a kid in high school that was desperately trying to be a Republican Wunderkind. He'd make smug jokes about liberals all the time. The day he called in to Rush Limbaugh and actually made it on air was the happiest day of his life.

Everyone else in the school loving loathed him, even the confederate flag-waving rednecks. I wonder what he's up to now.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

the op said his friend brought up time travel

and yeah time travel is the explanation that some of the Q people believe in to explain Q's inerrant predictions, so it's not something his/her friend just invented independently

You'd think someone who sees future events with their own eyes could put their hints in more-precise terms than the typical Q post of "794. Believe only the second word. Coincidence?? [R]"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

My favorite part of this is "11 year old drag queens". I guess they are talking about boys wearing dressed because they like them? Versus the "Pedophilia Variety Hour" that is beauty pageants which tend to take place in... well, you don't see them in blue states very often.

There are, like, two child drag queens out there, which hate groups boosted the gently caress out of to try to prove that The Gays Are After Our Kids. It's all the justification conservative moms need to turn into Anita Bryant.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

tek79 posted:

A godless nation enacting Sharia law. How does that work?

Goddamnit, I'm thinking waaaaaaaaay too into this aren't I?

Y'see, by not enacting explicitly-Christian statutes and laws, we are making America Weak. And since America is Weak, the Mohammedan Hordes will swoop in, take over churches, turn all butcher shops halal, and convert people by the edge of the sword. Only by having Strong Christian Warriors in positions of power can stop this creeping Sharia, so vote Republican.

That's their stated logic, anyway. In practice usually it's just "A lady wearing a headscarf in public?! OH MY GOD THEY'RE TAKING OVER"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Ah yes, the good ol' "What about black-on-black crime?!" tactic. Instantly discarded the moment anyone actually starts to provide any sort of answer to the question.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

What are some resources to address that stupid arguement? I see it come up a lot.

99% of the time it's said in bad faith. It's just a deflection tactic to either browbeat BLM supporters into sputtering and not having an instant answer (thus making the anti-BLM person the victor in their mind), or just to outright portray black people as violent thugs that NEED violent policing. They aren't asking it in search of an actual answer, which is why if you start providing any sort of potential solution, or even basic information, they'll immediately change subject. It's a whataboutism, and a sign that you shouldn't even be arguing with this person in the first place.

If, by some miracle, you're talking to the 1% of people who actually do care about inner city violence as something other than a "ha ha, gotcha libs!" rhetorical trap, there are plenty of resources out there that show the detrimental effects of social and economic programs that have purposefully negatively impacted historically black neighborhoods, and solutions on how to fix it. They aren't hard to find, it's just a matter of getting people who genuinely have good intentions to listen to you. And, uh, depending on where you live and what your situation is, good luck with that.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

lmao at these people viewing people practicing basic hygiene and safety during a pandemic as mewling, pathetic cowards who are only doing it because the government (which totally wants to kill all of its citizens btw) tells them to

It's a cloth mask, dude, you're not the protagonist of a right wing political thriller for not wearing one, you're just an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

My high school is finally debating changing its racist mascot ("Redskins", our football games featured a teepee by the endzone and a kid dressed up in a headdress, yeeeaaahhhh), and some people are real mad about it and are claiming it's disrespectful to change a name that honors native americans

No word yet on why only a racial slur can confer that honor

My high school's former mascot, the Red Raider, was a screaming bright-red Native American caricature waving a tomahawk around, and we STILL got tons of op-eds in the local paper saying that it was actually super respectful when the school board decided to change it.

Of course, when nearby Native American tribes were like "hey, don't have your cheerleaders wear headdresses, those are sacred to us," the op-eds took a very different tone.