Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I see chubby, dumb and not too attractive guys go home with very attractive women fairly regularly in my line of work. I don't know where that image's creator gets the idea that women DON'T already see men as attractive for reasons outside of their physical appearance. It really does have everything to do with confidence and a charming personality, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Breadallelogram posted:

Compulsory firearms training for all citizens is the answer to all of our problems.

I know you're joking, but in Canada you have to pass basic firearms safety and handling course and submit to background checks to get a firearms license.

I mean, really, it's a pretty straightforward approach to gun control that more or less seems to work here. You train, license and regulate everything from your drivers to your harmful chemicals handlers, so I don't see what's unreasonable about training and licensing people who wish to purchase and use firearms to make sure they're qualified to do so.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
As a person who grew up around guns and gun owners, and had owned and operated firearms throughout my life, I can confirm SedanChair is that guy at the range or in the hunting party we kept an eye on all the time because he treats owning a tool designed specifically to kill as a natural right rather than a privilege.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
"You think having the ability to take a life at the pull of a trigger is a privilege that should only be afforded to people who have proven themselves competent and responsible enough to make a decision that severe? How pathetic." -A self-professed responsible gun owner. Is driving a right or a privilege that gets taken away if you prove too stupid to do it right? How about handling hazardous chemicals?

And yeah, they were rednecks, part of why I moved away, but they were also smart enough to know some people just couldn't be trusted with the kind of power a firearm imbues on the individual.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
No, but the Canadian Government put together a pretty reasonable licensing and registration process.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Because as we all know, there are only two options when it comes to weapons: embrace them as a natural human right and absolutely everybody should own one, or cower in fear.

Or, you can respect the fact it's a powerful tool made for the specific purpose of taking lives, and like any such weapon, should not be entrusted to anybody who cannot prove their competency in it's use.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Like the police?

Yes?

That's one example I guess? Or, as I stated before, someone who has passed the necessary safety and handling courses and background checks, and has been licensed to own a firearm. That's another one. Military personnel. Private security. Like, I'm not sure what the point you're making is, but those are a few off the top of my head.

EDIT: Missed a word.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

SedanChair posted:

The authorities you're so comfortable with are much more dangerous than the people you're afraid of.

Maybe, but we tried fighting them with our guns before. We had better marksmen, better tactics and homefield advantage. Know what they had at the time? Better rifles, more men, essentially unlimited ammunition, better equipment and Gatling cannons. This was in 1885, and the myth of heroic patriots defeating the oppressive government with ARE GUNS was already bullshit.

We've had WAY more success with grassroots political action, truth be told.

Willatron fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I'm just telling you we've been down that road. Some of us, anyway. My people were some of the only natives in Canada to mount an organized resistance and it didn't go too great.

And we're far from disarmed. Canada is chock full of gun owners. We just have reasonable gun control laws, and the myth of the heroic civilian stamping out oppression and crime with his trusty gun just has never been much of a thing up here. I'm relating experiences to you in hopes you'll realize there is reasonable compromise between EVERYBODY owning guns and NOBODY owning guns.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
It actually set us back. We lost a great political leader, gained a martyr, were pushed out of our homes and ended up as small pockets of red necks living in rural backwaters (my former fellows I mentioned earlier) who had to hide their identity because the government followed up the quashing of our resistance with a massive propaganda campaign branding us as traitors to the crown. Lynchings were a thing for a while. My grandparents were still denying their culture and ethnicity when I was a kid.

Whereas before they were talking to us at the negotiation table, the extreme elements in the communities that sparked violent action against government land surveyors basically set back our bargaining position about 100 years.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I can't recall if we can emptyquote in DnD.

For my part, I'm done. I've just lurked through one too many of SedanChairs gun rants, and figured maybe, just maybe, if someone who lives in a nation with reasonable gun legislation, and is part of a culture that has gone through the armed resistance to government tyranny thing, related some experiences, I could make some headway. But yeah, I've got nothing left to say. SORRY EVERYONE!

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

Does it bother her when straight men and women act flamboyantly straight? We get it, man, you're cat-calling a woman on the sidewalk, you're straight, stop rubbing it in our faces. Ugh, these girls at the next table over are talking loudly about their boyfriends, why do they have to shove their straightness down my throat? Stop trying so hard, heteros.

I get your point, but I find it genuinely irritating when I see men harassing women and when people the table over speak really loudly (about anything). Both are far more irritating than flamboyant gay men, however, who can be annoying or charming depending entirely on their personality, rather than living up to any "appropriate" image of masculinity.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Yeah, seriously dude, being "one of the good ones" is never going to change the mind of bigots. You just become their "Gay friend" they bring up when someone else accuses them of homophobia. Validation from one of "them" would have the opposite effect you're saying it would and just reinforces their lovely views on civil rights issues.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Common core is exactly the method used by people who have to make change on transactions quick in their head.

Personal example: Common core appears to be the exact method I use to do quick calculations at the till as a bartender. I wish they had taught to me in school, not so I could bartend better (though it has helped with that) but simply because it's a better way to do math in my head.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My point is, if a modest minimum wage increase raised gradually over a period of three to five years is going to put a store out of business, they're already done and just don't know it. If it wasn't the minimum wage it'd be a hole in the roof or a spike in gas prices or construction on their street.

I've been trying to drive this point home to a lot of people. A successful business sees growth. Stagnation is death. If you can't handle a small cost of living increase on a regular interval for a five to ten year period(the latest debate was over a loving 25 cent increase to minimum wage in my home city, the latest in a regular series of regular .25 cent increases that occur annually), then your business is already done, and no amount of taxes, wage hikes or increased benefits for your employees is going to change that. It MIGHT expedite the process, but then it's just sparing your business a slow and years long decline.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

http://www.jewsnews.co.il/2013/11/04/an-amazing-supermarket-incident-in-canada-muslim-woman-is-put-right-in-her-place/

I always thought the "everyone stood up and clapped" thing was just funny, not that there were actual stories with it.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

hamster_style posted:

"I'm sorry that you'e offended by The Truth that all Muslims are savages."

What a loving shithead.

http://www.justaskislam.com/32/does-islam-say-kill-the-infidels/

Not that it's needed here, but for Chrissakes, it was a 2 second Google search.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Obviously not, because if there had been one armed person there, they would have reacted with perfect calm and inhuman speed and gunned down all the attackers with perfect accuracy as soon as they started shooting, because that's how it works in fantasy world.

When armed Muslims burst in, everything goes into slo-mo while you draw your gun like in Call of Duty door breach scenes. So long as you're not a n00b you should be able to get four clean headshots in before regular speed resumes.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

America has one of the most vibrant job markets in the world, coupled with a strong entrepreneurial culture. Sure, it takes a lot of hussle but hussle drives innovation. If she settled on a crappy job and decided to get pregnant, why should I pay for her poor choices? Should the government force employers to give paid hangover leave because people like to get drunk? A hangover isn't a picknick either but you can't call a day with one anything other than "vacation" if you aren't at work.

This is a troll, right? It has to be a troll.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

You people seriously think the guy comparing childbirth to a hangover was serious?

In my defense I'm not familiar with everybody on these forums as I mostly just lurk, and I implied wasn't able to take anything he was saying seriously.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Or Tony Montana.

I knew way too many guys growing up who admired the gently caress out of Tony Montana, completely missing the point that he was an emotional wreck of a man whose self-esteem relied on shallow dreams revolving around loving women, getting money and killing anybody who got in the way of that, ultimately leading to his own demise.

It's like when you talk Grant Theft Auto with people and they miss the exact same point revolving around, say, Niko Bellic or Micheal DeSanta/Franklin Clinton. It's loving frustrating that the movie or game is basically shouting "ALL THIS GLITZ AND GLAMOUR IS FAKE AND MEANINGLESS AND WILL END UP TAKING AWAY EVERYTHING THESE CHARACTERS CARE ABOUT FROM THEM" and they're like "Gotta get me some of that glitz and glamour. I should be a balla thug who makes paper too!"

Anyway, I'm replaying GTAV right now and I've been thinking about this, sorry about the mini rant.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

How is that even some kind of sick burn? It isn't like any bank would accept any check that had a math equation of any sort instead of a straight dollar amount written on it. All that dad did was look like a dickhead.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

Agreed, gun restrictions must be broad based to be effective and to avoid stigmatizing an already vulnerable group of people.

e: And like clockwork, an old friend arrives...

Americans have uniquely bad hearts, probably as a result of delicious State Fair foods.

Yeah, remember all those times a single lunatic killed dozens of people in one fell swoop with a rock?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Figure I'll weigh in before this derail gets shut down, but I always saw it as a "I think therefore I am" kind of situation. Where I live, abortion is legal within the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. Whatever the reason, this lines up pretty well with when the frontal cortex of the brain begins to develop.

The frontal cortex of the brain is essentially where everything that makes a person a person resides. I just don't see the case for banning abortion when what you're terminating is little more than a bag of meat that can't think, feel or react to any kind of stimulus in any meaningful way.

I mean, all a human being is, essentially, is a machine made of meat, bones and muscle tissue controlled via a complicated system of nerves dictated by the brain. Within that brain is the base functions to keep the machine running, but within the frontal cortex is the person who decides how that machine will be used. If a fetus or zygote doesn't have that, on what basis are we granting them personhood?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Hahaha, because high school students won't take any opportunity to not go to class. I remember when a bunch of us "walked out" to protest any potential involvement of Canada in Iraq and then we just went to my friends place to get high and play video games.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

pacerhimself posted:

Your classmate keeps talking about pulling rank, but I don't see anywhere where your former teacher refers to being his teacher in the past. Pretty obvious display of projection there.

Edit, I guess it was the living at home reference

Yeah, about that, I don't think he's inspiring the confidence he thinks he is from others by admitting he's moved back into his parents place to "start a business" that will allow him to save up for his own house.

I've known those people. It's usually them kidding themselves about the fact that they completely hosed up, but blame everybody else and so now they're gonna make it on their own, dammit (is still a lump on their parent's couch four years from now).

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I'm honestly regularly flabbergasted that there is a country that makes it a civil right to own a tool designed specifically for killing.

And am even more so when its strongest supporters combat the need for regulation of such tools by comparing tools specifically designed for killing to other things that may have unhealthy or even lethal side effects when used in a manner that was not intended.

Anyway, why do you guys even talk to LeJackal? He isn't getting his mind changed if he can't even acknowledge the difference between a car and a gun.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
So I work in hospitality and am constantly working with my hands and often suffer cuts, bruises and scrapes as a result, but due to the fact that I am preparing drinks for people also have to keep them very clean and groomed.

Am I a big tough working man or a lily girly boy? Please, help me right wing macro! I am confused!

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
So this is making the round on my local news feed.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/donald-trump-brian-bowman-invitation-1.3359788

The mayor of my city has cordially invited Trump here and I cannot decide if I want him to accept or not.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

The message would be far more direct if she just slammed on the brakes.

Soooo, you're against spanking but in favor of disciplining children by potentially giving them severe head injuries?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

S-U-P-E-R posted:

I got 99 problems and they're all with this Facebook post.

I'd touch the poop but I'm not even sure where to start.

Yeah, I think people who kill over material possessions are clearly more of a threat to society than the people taking said things, most likely due to being impoverished and resorting to selling stolen goods.

Seems pretty damned reasonable. I've never understood castle doctrine. Shooting in self-defense is vague enough as it is, shooting because somebody took your tv is downright murderous.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

Beyond the obvious racism, it's loving annoying as hell to me that people will argue, "WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IF YOU'RE STANDING IN THE STREET???", not recognizing that the current way our streets are used is a hosed up historical (and geographical) aberration and not something God designed right after platypuses.

My city enforces pedestrian right of way. Don't know if that's a common thing, but it makes sense to me that drivers should be watching out for pedestrians more than pedestrians should have to be responsible for the 2-ton hunk of steel barreling about the city (every one of those drivers would have been charged here, knowingly running down human beings is a crime).

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I'm entitled to these things I've been paying into my entire adult life, but don't you DARE call it an entitlement!

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Minimum wage where I live is 11.00$ an hour CDN. A coffee and a doughnut will run you a whopping 3$.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
It's pretty hosed up to think you're owed a thank you for not keeping someone as property in bonded servitude anymore.

Like, that's up there with a torturer expecting a thank you unhooking the car battery, or a rapist expecting a thank you for having used a condom for gently caress's sake.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Radish posted:

Pundits and Serious people can pretend that the dog whistling class hatred and racism of the GOP is actually just Serious Policy that needs to be done for the greater good regardless of results. It's hard choices (that only other people actually have to pay the price for) that we need to make in order to be responsible grown ups. When Donald "Maybe it says he's a Muslim" Trump starts straight up saying all the racist poo poo causing the dumbasses at the NRO to drop the facade and start talking about lazy poor white people that need to realize their communities are worthless it throws everything off and suddenly you can't hide the fact that the Republicans are the aristocratic party being parasites on everyone that isn't both rich and white.

Donald "Maybe it says he's a Muslim" Trump throwing their constructed persona out the window is freaking them out and they don't know how to react since they are used to easy mode from most media outlets where no one really questions their motives when they poison a town or defend police murdering unarmed minorities.

I just pictured Trump appearing on House of Cards and wrecking Underwood's carefully constructed agenda by stomping around shouting about Mexicans.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Honestly I'm studying to get my certification as a professional salesperson and marketer and I'm kind of insulted on some level that I'm going to make waaayyy more money doing this cushy poo poo than I ever made working my rear end off in hospitality hauling beer kegs, serving dickheads and breaking up fights between dangerous drunken assholes.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

So Bomani Jones went on ESPN wearing a shirt that parodied the Cleveland Indians' mascot, with "Caucasians" in the same font and a white guy drawn in the same style as Chief Wahoo with a dollar sign instead of a feather.

Most people are praising him for it as it's a good way to highlight the hypocrisy of a lot of sports fans who were angry about the shirt. On Facebook most of the posts I saw about it were either supportive of what he was trying to do, or at least weren't hypocrites. There were quite a few "I'm not really offended by this, I don't think the Indians' mascot is racist but this shirt is still really funny" and the like. I did see a handful of people trying to compare it to Notre Dame or the Boston Celtics, but not too many. This was by far the hottest take though, submitted for your enjoyment.

Hahahaha, as an indigenous person, I loving LOVE it when white people let me know when I'm allowed to find racist caricatures of my ancestors offensively outdated and wrong. Wait, so by this logic was blackface not racist because it isn't like they were trying to be racist? It was just fun, lighthearted cartoony generalizations about an entire ethnicity, right? No racism here.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Right, I agree, but there are others. Tim Kreider's reveling over Reagan's death, for instance- Reagan was long out of power and not in the position to hurt anyone.

I know a few US immigrants up here in Canada who came over during the Reagan administration. They reveled too. That guy really hosed life up for a lot of people the way they tell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

God...I'm part of a North American indigenous culture, I've noticed this "Native Americans are so cool, brah" thing that goes on with Bernie supporters, and is this how black people feel when nerdy white people go on about how black people are just "cool"? It's irritating as hell.