Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dr. Tough posted:

They might be talking about Afghanistan, but yeah there's other countries there than the four listed.

Not to mention all the, y'know, Afghani soldiers who have died fighting the Taliban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Stupid Email posted:

No mention of "Pearl Harbor Day," which commemorates the death of over 2500 American Service Men and an untold death toll of civilians on that fretful day.

Wikipedia posted:

The overall death toll reached 2,350, including 68 civilians, and 1,178 injured.

Are they conflating Pearl Harbor with 9/11 that badly?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cryosleep posted:

Posted by my insane right wing conservative republican family on facebook (I'm Holly):

Gene **********

And the tribes didn't live in homes, they lived in camps in what we would call today "tents". Their home was where they made camp.

Today at 1:02am

This is the part that cracks me up. That's true of some tribes, and of others during hunting season, but a huge percentage of Native Americans were agricultural stay-at-homes in one way or another. Iroquois League, anyone? Pacific Northwest fishing villages? Pueblo cities, for Pete's sake?

The only thing this guy knows about Native Americans is what he saw in old Warner Brothers cartoons.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Drop The Bomb posted:

Truther bullshit

When the closing ceremony ends and nothing has happened, be sure to "reply all" this back to whoever sent it to you, with a picture of you rolling your eyes attached.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
EDIT: ^^^^ What those cities all have in common is that they're surrounded by rich white Republican-voting suburbs. But then again, that's true of most American cities...

I can't find any info on the "Small Arms Treaty" except reposts of this, but the "Arms Trade Treaty" appears to have been derailed in 2009 after the US insisted that it be passed by consensus. Here's a speech someone at State gave about it: http://www.state.gov/t/us/136849.htm . It appears to require that all signatory members apply the same restrictions to international arms sales that U.S. manufacturers already operate under.

So in short it's absolutely nothing like what's posted above.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 9, 2010

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Anosmoman posted:

You'd think they'd try to get texts vaguely related to the product though. I suspect the group that reads about vile minority groups and then contemplates the troublesome nature of erectile dysfunction is rather small.

Have I got news for you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Would a US cellphone even work in Iraq or Afghanistan? From what I can tell, only triband or quadband phones are even capable of being adapted, and that's expensive. You might as well get a prepaid from Iraqna or whatever the equivalent in Afghanistan is. It's not like the West is the only place to get a cellphone.

And when I was in the Navy, that package delivery would have caused all kinds of havoc right away. I doubt the "two dorks" would have gotten off base except in the back of a police car, terrorist probe or not. Maybe the ANG is a little more lax about security, but considering the Guard yahoos I dealt with when I was overseas, I find it more likely they would have taken any opportunity to go apeshit on any suspected terrorist.

And I really, really doubt that the local news wouldn't be all over these stories if they were true. This whole thing just smacks of someone reading "FW:FW: FWD: FW: This really happened!" emails in front of a believing audience.

EDIT: Beaten while typing, and with a Snopes link at that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Notahippie posted:

It's just another way of saying gently caress you, got mine.

It's just another way of saying Lebensraum.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mo_Steel posted:

I can't find it anymore, but I distinctly recall a remake of this where instead the ant enjoyed a leisurely winter being entertained by the grasshopper's music in exchange for food and shelter for the winter as they agreed upon.

This what you're looking for?

Edit: tables

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tigntink posted:

You joke but i've heard this in a serious manner. I then reminded them that Jesus was believed to be born in like... June but Constantine used the winter solstice to integrate Christianity into the empire. (what ever it was. I was alot more accurate with this poo poo 7 years ago when I read about it all the time)

They were just like "So?" and I :facepalm: and walked away.

"So?" is the correct answer. They're still celebrating the birth of Christ. Ever had a party on a Saturday because your birthday fell on Wednesday? Same thing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DarkHorse posted:

Had a random acquaintance post this on his wall:

He added "You voted for him!!!! Not me"[sic]. It's almost as if there were an unprecedented economic disaster that we've been slowly but steadily recovering from over the past four years!

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/04/news/economy/unemployment-rate/index.htm

I also like how it forgets FDR and Hoover. What's the Great Depression, again?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fionnoula posted:

What? You mean to tell me that violence happens in *cities*? Well I never.

That's not even a map of gun violence, it's a map of 2004 election results by county.

http://politicalmaps.org/2004-presidential-election-maps/

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

1996:
2013:
Spot the difference!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
At least the author is getting eviscerated in the comments, which is better than I expected from the readers of the WSJ sports page.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
EDIT: Double post, crap.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I just got this one on a friend's Facebook:

quote:

From a friend, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION...posted on the Obamacare website today "I actually made it through this morning at 8:00 A.M. I have a preexisting condition
(Type 1 Diabetes) and my income base was 45K-55K annually I chose tier 2 "Silver Plan" and my monthly premiums came out to $597.00 with $13,988 yearly deductible!!! There is NO POSSIBLE way that I can afford this so I "opt-out" and chose to continue along with no insurance. I received an email tonight at 5:00 P.M. informing me that my fine would be $4,037 and could be attached to my yearly income tax return. Then you make it to the "REPERCUSSIONS PORTION" for "non-payment" of yearly fine. First, your drivers license will be suspended until paid, and if you go 24 consecutive months with "Non-Payment" and you happen to be a home owner, you will have a federal tax lien placed on your home. You can agree to give your bank information so that they can easy "Automatically withdraw" your "penalties" weekly, bi-weekly or monthly! This by no means is "Free" or even "Affordable.

Found this: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/oct/04/facebook-posts/closer-look-facebook-post-mans-struggle-obamacare-/ but it may not be worth posting, because no matter what this dude just believes whatever his church group members post.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Yeah, I got nothing. About the only thing I skipped was the step where he responded to my question with the passage about the whole "hardened pharaoh's heart" thing, and then started shouting at me when I said "uh, that's not really answering my question". So...yeah, it was still a total non-sequitur.

Theologically it's a complex question. About a dozen verses in Exodus talk about the Lord hardening Pharaoh's heart so that the whole plagues-pursuit-Red Sea thing would play out like it was supposed to. The question becomes, should Pharaoh be held accountable for sins that God forced him to commit? This touches on predestination and an omnipotent/omniscient God vs free will, and into Calvinism a bit.

It almost sounds like the dude was using it as a shibboleth, where if you don't give the right answer you get screamed at as a nonbeliever. But what it has to do with anything in particular I have no idea, unless he was just using it as an excuse not to engage with you in any serious discussion.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Here's a fun one from the otherwise decent guy who caretakers the site where I occasionally do field work.

This is at least the third different crazy Benghazi conspiracy theory I've seen him post.

EDIT: Oh for gently caress's sake:

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 15, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

losonti tokash posted:

Apparently to Benghazi truthers, "relieved of his command 30 seconds later" means "he stepped down and retired 7 months later on April 5, 2013."

After a nine month succession process beginning in July of the previous year.

Obama and his time machine!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The proposed regulation changes are subject to approval by the command on a case-by-case basis. Presumably if, say, a Sikh soldier was going to be in a place where he needs to be wearing a helmet, he'd wear a helmet instead of a turban, and if he were in a place where he might need to wear a gas mask, he'd have to shave.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Who the gently caress doesn't tip their barber!?

People with terrible haircuts. The cause and effect relationship is murky.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Actually 2% of American workers make minimum wage (link), but what percentage of people make below what the new minimum wage will be? Bet it's higher than 2%, which is why that statistic is misleading.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leospeare posted:

Did anyone at all complain about Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury? I heard much more petulant whining about Heimdall, who 99% of racists had never heard of before the Thor movie.

My father-in-law doesn't like Jackson's Fury, but he grew up reading Howling Commandos comics and I've never heard any racism in any other way from him. When it comes up I just ask him if he wants David Hasselhoff back in the role and he shuts right up. He thought Idris Elba was awesome as Heimdall though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

My brother totally chose to have cerebral palsy. I totally chose to be born at a time such that, when I graduated from college, the economy would collapse. Totally our choices.

The sad part is that to a certain extent it's correct. Where it fails is in two ways: that your choices are informed by things that happen to you (background, education, values, etc) and that the things that happen to you are not at all solely the result of your choices.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

And that's where I gave up, because Frank and I have had a number of conversations before on the topic of racism and privilege, and she honestly believes that white people are the most oppressed race because it's okay to hate us.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dyz posted:

The best response is historical context. Whiteface has rarely been used to make fun of or oppress white people, at least not on the scale that blackface has for black people.

I've tried that avenue before with the idea of minority scholarships, and she refused to accept that historical context is a thing. At least everyone else we were hanging out with disagreed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jackpot posted:

There's an argument against raising the minimum wage that says something like 95% of all people already earn over the minimum anyway, and most of that 5% is high school kids working fast food, besides. There's a counterpoint, though, that says that's horseshit because those making $7.25 an hour won't be the only ones to have their wages increased (rising tide, etc) ... I just don't have the right words to say it. Anybody got a link?

Last page but everybody keeps forgetting that it's not just people who currently make minimum wage who will directly benefit from raising it, but everyone who makes less than the new minimum wage. And that's a lot more than 5%, it's closer to 1 in 4: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/07/24/573671/one-in-four-private-sector-workers-earn-less-than-10-an-hour/

Link to the study: http://nelp.3cdn.net/24befb45b36b626a7a_v2m6iirxb.pdf

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

red19fire posted:

There was a study on the crab mentality, something like 'most people would prefer to make $25k while their peers make $15k, as opposed to making $90k when their peers make $100k.'

I had a run-in with a living example of this last night. I wasn't going to post this, since it's not that entertaining, but now it's topical. Started when she posted this horseshit:

I responded, and we were off to the races. I'm Artie Choke, she's Sal Monella.

We've tangled before; we were classmates in college and hung out with the same crowd. Friendly but we disagree on politics. She's basically bought wholly into the Just World fallacy: if you're poor then you should have done things differently so as to not be poor, so suck it up, and the fact that she's not poor means she's better than you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

red19fire posted:

I've only heard it as an anecdote as well. I'm starting to think it's some urban legend about how terrible people tend to be.

Sorry: http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2010/02/17/0956797610362671

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gatesealer posted:

I almost want to bet that she doesn't actually like welfare because there are "welfare queens, and why should I have to give money to people who aren't working hard enough." It is always the weirdest thing to me when I hear something like that. "I don't want them to raise minimum wage because they are just doing menial labor. I don't want to pay for welfare because why should I pay for these people to work minimum wage jobs?" Choose one or the other.

I've had this argument with her before, too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Not in and of itself, no. But there are quite a few people who don't realize the lengths that most companies will go to in order to achieve even small advancements towards that end.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jurgan posted:

So, here's something, in response to http://qpolitical.com/muslim-student-challenges-jewish-professor-shuts-spot/ this story from 2010. Faye is my brother's girlfriend, and I'm Matt. I'm not really sure who Carol is, but I've probably met him once or twice.

He even linked me to the wikipedia definition of ad hominem. Isn't arguing on the internet fun?

Attacking a source's credibility is perfectly valid when the other person is relying on that source to make their argument for them.

Edit; beaten above.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Here's the answer to Rush's question about English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXcRqFmFa8

I love this song, and will listen to it repeatedly every time it's posted. Although it turned up in a car commercial of all places the other day, which was weird.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Good lord do a lot of internet manbabies hate Anita Sarkeesian. I mean they really really HATE her. It blows my mind.

The amount of sheer frothing hate she inspires is, to my mind, the single biggest indicator that she might have a point worth listening to. If she were simply wrong she'd be a laughingstock, like Jack Thompson. Instead we get the horror show we have now.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Here's an article on the subject from Henry Louis Gates: http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2013/03/black_slave_owners_did_they_exist.html

Short version: Yes, some free blacks owned slaves, but there's a lot of argument how many of them were slaveholders for exploitative economic reasons vs how many had managed to purchase an enslaved family member to protect them.

EDIT:

Also yes, slavery was a thing particularly among the Cherokee, but it's worth pointing out that they used Southern-style black chattel slavery because they were trying their damndest to become the kind of "civilized" society that the whites couldn't ignore, massacre, and exile, and in the South that included being slaveholders. Not that it helped, in the end.

There's a lot of controversy in the Cherokee Nation over the citizenship of people descended from black slaves who consider themselves culturally Cherokee.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 30, 2015

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nevvy Z posted:

Empathy isn't in the constitution, but the commerce clause is.

There's also that nifty General Welfare clause - the clause so nice they wrote it twice.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Don't most Canadians not refer to people from the US as "American" that often, since "America" includes a lot more than just the US?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CowHammer posted:

Chris Kyle seemed to think Routh had PTSD. Are you calling him a liar????? :911:

It's okay if the noble American hero is taken in by the deceptions of a low-down dirty deceiver crypto-Muslim when he was just trying to help a fellow vet.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Possibly original to here: http://robertmoorejr.tumblr.com/post/110101466091/im-an-anti-braker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Nitpicky, but to do a real comparison between TVs you'd have to take into account the power and resource consumption in the manufacturing process too. Externalities and all that.

I bet the modern flat-panel would still come out ahead, but it'd be an interesting comparison.

Edminster posted:

My go-to example for 'heinlein was hosed-up re: sex' is the ending of Have Space Suit, Will Travel where the 18 year old main character is romantically paired off with a like 11 year old girl at the insistence of her father.

You need a new one then, because I just pulled that book off my shelf and the kid's father was pretty clearly talking about her having a friend closer to her own age and intelligence. Romance never entered into it unless you're reading it really differently than me.

That's not to say Heinlein's views on sex weren't massively hosed up, just that book is okay on the topic.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 18, 2015