Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm looking for an adventure game, possibly some sort of detective/mystery story in vein of the Gabriel Knight series. I remember seeing a LP of like the first 10 minutes Indigo Prophecy and really liking the multiple approaches possible, but supposedly it gets stupid later on. I also played Experiment 112 and I've been dying to play something similar to that. I loved the idea, but disliked the retarded plot exposition. I think I played most of the classic adventure games, so I'm looking for something relatively recent.

Alternatively, I think I just want to play a character-focused game without any shooting, beating people up or blowing poo poo up. So either a totally non-conflict game, or maybe something involving using persuasion/influence/intrigue to reach your goals (like Europa 1400/The Guild, or Crusader Kings possibly). I tried The Guild 2 a while ago but it seemed very shallow compared to its predecessor. Haven't tried the expansions though so maybe it's been fixed somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Contest Winner posted:

So, this is kind of a weird one, but I am curious. Most Space 4X games(or any really) are very 'positive', in that you start off small and build up, peaking at having super military power or researching the ability to transcend mortality or whatever. Are there any space 4x games with a bleaker setting, one where everyone is just struggling to get by?

I've got a feeling you might like Emperor of the Fading Suns, it's basically the dark ages in space, kinda similar to Dune. Make sure to check out the two major mods - Nova and Hyperion. Since vanilla game is a bit broken in places, they rebalance it to make it more playable. Nova is the beginner-friendly one iirc.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ibblified posted:

Are there any business/economic/life simulator on the PC? It can be micro or macro level, from focusing on one business to a whole city. I am thinking things like Tropico 4 and Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon (loved them, pretty much the epitome of fun), Sid Meier's Railroad (pretty good), Recettear (played it too much). On the flipside, I didn't enjoy things like Port Royale (didn't really get into it for some reason), The Guild 2 (good idea, but the clunky interface killed my enjoyment) and Game Dev Tycoon (I liked the idea, but hated its execution).

I think I will prefer games with a UI that is actually player-friendly and a decent tutorial so I know what is going on. I am trying Football Manager now, but the complexity and obscure stats isn't making it much fun.

The Guild 1/Europa 1400 is imo way better in the 'cool stuff to do' departament, but also clunkier and uglier, so take that as you will. Capitalism 2 recently got some sort of update called Capitalism Lab, it's probably the most in-depth economy/business simulator there is. Cities in motion 2 is a pretty good public transport builder sim. Crusader Kings 2 is more of a wargame, but is very character-oriented and more focused on personal power gain and dynasty management. For me, it scratches the same itch that the Guild games do. A lot of people recommend the Anno series, but personally I found it boring and too simplistic. If you're into complex production chains and sim aspects, you might want to skip it, but if you're looking for something more laid-back and relaxing, you might like it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

SheepNameKiller posted:

uh what? are you sure you're not in opposite world? Anno is without a doubt the deepest of all of those games you've mentioned, it's so deep it borders on inaccessible.

I admit I only played the most recent one, because I heard it's the best and has the most stuff to do. I dunno, at first it looked pretty good, plenty of goods and buildings and all that. I played the main campaign for a few days and at some point realised I'm just staring at pretty landscapes, plopping a building down every now and then. Maybe it's just not my kinda thing :shrug:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any RPGs with decent magic systems? I've played most of the big names: Baldur's Gate, DA:O, Skyrim, Oblivion. Other than that, I haven't branched out much.

I'm not too picky about my RPGs, but character customization would be a big plus. I know this isn't super descriptive, but RPGs with decent magic have got to be a dime a dozen. v:v:v

You didn't mention Morrowind there, so if you didn't play it yet, you really should. It pretty much has the best magic system out of all TES games. You can craft your own spells out of all the spell effects you know, same with enchantments. You can adjust the magnitude and duration of effects, which means you can power up your spells as you become more skilled, keeping magic viable throughout the whole game. Alchemy scales pretty well to your skill as well, allowing you to do some pretty ridiculous buffs. I don't know much about Oblivion, but Skyrim's system is a step back in every way.

NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer is a DnD game with a boatload of races and classess to choose from and, I think, a comparable number of spells to Baldur's Gate. It's also imo one of the best RPGs ever made, it reminded me of PS:T in many ways.
The base game is pretty solid as well, though mostly very different in tone. If you want the experience of going from lv.1 to god-like, give it a try as well.

Darklands is very cool, if you don't mind DOS-era games.

As far as more modern RPGs go, it's pretty much a hundred slightly different flavors of 'cast fireball for 10mp', sadly.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

For something that's actually legit hacking? https://microcorruption.com/

They're known as "CTF" or "Capture the Flag" sites.

Whoa, this is super cool. Know any similar ones aimed at complete beginners to programming?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Are there any good civ-esque games but either fantasy or sci fi because I am a nerd?

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
Eador: Genesis (or the remake)
Galactic Civilizations 2
Space Empires IV or V

Anatharon posted:

I wanted to play Alpha Centauri but it won't run on my computer. rip.

What, you don't have a dedicated machine for playing SMAC at all times? :colbert:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, I got bored of GalCiv pretty fast, but hey, the guy wanted sci-fi 4x.

Master of Orion 1 & 2 are still excellent despite their age. Ascendancy is pretty cool as well.

But seriously, what you really want is get SMAC to run. Trust me on this, ok? Sell your shitputer if you have to and buy a WinXP machine or something. I mean it, son, you'll thank me later.

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted the Fruit"

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I know I'm speaking from the standpoint of a sperg who completed JA2 multiple times throughout the years, but really, I don't think the interface is that bad. Sure, there might be a lot of things going on, especially with 1.13, but it's not that hard to grasp, I think.

X-COM Apocalypse has a different aesthetic and feel to it than the previous games in the series, but once you get into it it's very good. It kinda does have a difficult interface though, but the graphics are fine, imo.

Don't know how low-end we're talking, but Silent Storm is great and has amazing terrain destruction.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

mortons stork posted:

It's pretty bare-bones. It's a dual core i5 and onboard graphics card, so pretty limited overall. Thanks for your suggestions anyway, I think I'll be giving Jagged Alliance 2 a whirl, if nothing else pops up.

Well, it's a 2003 game, so I think you'll be ok with that setup. Listed requirements are 128 rams and 32 vidya rams :v:

There's also the UFO: After* series, which is a sort of an X-COM clone, except the combat is real-time with pause. Aftermath is ok but a bit simplistic. Aftershock is pretty decent and imo different enough from X-COM to be interesting. I didn't play Afterlight, so can't comment on that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Invisible Ted posted:

PC games I can play without a keyboard, preferably beyond casual time-wasters?

XCOM is fine with just the mouse, I guess. Generally I'd look into strategy 'map games' like Crusader Kings 2 or RPGs with isometric/overhead view (as long as you don't have to type a character's name :v:) like Shadowrun and maybe Dragon Age.

Jagged Alliance 2, Civilization series?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Habibi posted:

There isn't like a graphical overhaul out there for SMAC, is there?

There's this thing called Pandora: First Contact that was supposed to be a remake of SMAC in what looks like Civ 5 engine. It's really bad though, don't play it. It's worse than SMAC in every way.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

CowboyAndy posted:

So I played Space Funeral... and are there any other games like that, in terms of style?

Goblet Grotto, Murder Dog IV, and pretty much anything else from here.

You could also try OFF, Middens and Bubsy3D.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

itsjustdrew posted:

Yeah, I've grown a little bored of it though sadly, I have all the bethesda main games, fallout 3/NV, oblivion, skyrim, ESO.

I don't see Morrowind on that list.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Red Garland posted:

Guys, I'm looking for a game that will make me feel like a big mister boss man. Think Overlord, but more serious. Preferably organized crime-themed but my expectations are high enough, so I'll live without that. Thinking about playing a guild creation mod in Skyrim but I'm looking for more recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Thirding The Guild / Europa 1400, if you can find it.

Here's an example of the poo poo you can do: if you play a thief or robber baron, eventually you're able to buy out or take over all the guard posts and fire all the nightwatchmen, so that no one will interfere in your criminal activities. Or you can keep them and make them go around the town collecting protection money, and then just order them to do nothing when your thieves plunder the neighbourhood.

If you don't like someone, you can forge evidence to have him accused of crimes (or just hire spies to follow them and gather legit evidence). If you manage to get yourself appointed dungeon master, you can then torture the unlucky bastard for confession. Then you can seduce / bribe / blackmail the judge to make the law stricter just before the trial, so that the sentence gets upgraded from few years in prison to potentially even death sentence.

The Guild is still pretty much the best nepotism / intrigue simulator ever made. Guild 2 is prettier but worse in every other way, even with all the expansions.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am interested in science fiction games with alien aliens

Ascendancy, Iron Seed, Alien Legacy, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Freespace 2, sort of?

As far as more recent games go, I'd say Dead Space, and to a lesser degree XCOM. In the Endless series of games all the playable races and factions are more or less humanoid, but the setting is weird and interesting enough.

Also, this is kinda stretching it, but Reassembly with it's chill music and abstract graphics has a sort of an otherworldly feeling to it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I now have a computer capable of running PCSX2 decently. What old PS2 games should I look back at that don't have modern digital releases or HD Collections or whatnot?

The only PS2 game you will ever need is Warship Gunner 2

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Which PCSX2 has some annoying issues with that no one seems to have the will to fix.

I don't know what you're talking about, unless the issue you mean is passing out frequently due to all my blood being drained away from the brain by my raging boner

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Current version broke how it handles the VIF to fix the Snowblind engine games, which results in a bunch of missing geometry and probably some other problems down the line. Or you can go back to a pre-1.0 version that renders sea level fog as an opaque white strip that makes it nearly impossible to see distant enemies.

Best option would be playing the superior PSP version in PPSSPP. It emulates perfectly but has the unfortunate problem of being in Japanese.

Turns out I played it on some 1.0 version from 2012, so maybe that's it. Didn't notice any fog issues though, but then again, I was too busy cramming as many giant fuckoff guns onto my giant fuckoff battleship as possible.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am interested in games that do an excellent job of transporting you into a world and having you establish your presence there. I'm not interested in a specific genre such as RPG or Shooter or what have you; I'm indifferent to platform or to turn based or first person perspective or isometric, etc.

Mount and Blade - you can start out as a dirty peasant nobody and work your way up to being a lord or king. It's mostly a combat game, but you can also manage your villages, run trade caravans and invest in businesses in towns. All faction relations and wars are dynamic, there's no story, everything is done through game mechanics. Plenty of mods, if you like a specific historical setting.

Crusader Kings 2 - Similar as above, but it's a character-driven grand strategy mapgame. Start as a count in some medieval shithole, and work your way to becoming the Byzantine Emperor / Fylkir of Scandinavia / Great Khan / black zoroastrian mongol ruler of the world. Huge potential for behind the scenes intrigue and fuckery. Everything you do affects the world and the AI agents work off more or less the same rules as you.

Europa 1400 / The Guild - sim / management game. Pretty old, but I still haven't seen any recent games attempt what it does. You start out as a poor tradesman in a medeival european city and work your way to becoming influential and powerful. Aside from your main profession, you can gain a variety of offices, each of which has a unique power or ability to alter a specific city law. As with the other games, everything that happens, happens through character interactions, so there's lots of opportunities for crazy schemes and fuckery. Manipulate the supply and demand of goods, change laws to your advantage, buy property, get rich.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms X - I haven't played this one, but I've been looking to try for the same reasons you posted. Supposedly in X, you don't have to play the strategy game, but you can gently caress off and do whatever while the factions fight it out. You do have to play as a character from RotK, I think.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I'm looking for a survival/builder game, something centered around gathering resources and tools and slowly building up a self-sustainable base or community. Some degree of danger and/or combat is ok, but I don't want it to be the main focus. The base can be a castle, a spaceship, a town, I don't care as long as I can upgrade, expand it and add new functionalities. Examples of games I played that had what I'm looking for:

This War of Mine
Cataclysm DDA
State of Decay
Harvest Moon
Factorio
Rimworld

Games I played but didn't like:
Starbound / Terraria and clones - too much of the progression is tied into combat and just upgrading your weapons and picks with a slightly better metal. Lots of things to gather, but most are ultimately useless
Dwarf Fortress - sounds good on paper, but is too much of a pain in the rear end to play nowadays. Whenever I get an urge to try it again, I give up after an hour or so
Planet Explorers - buggy, ugly UI. Looks like you can make your own items out of voxels, but I want to play a game, not learn 3d modeling.

I don't really care about the million multiplayer zombocraft games out there, but if there's one that's particularly good, I'm willing to try it out. No Minecraft though. City building games are cool and all, but I'd prefer something smaller-scale, where I can walk around my cool estate. PC only.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be checking Sheltered and Banished. Out of the two zombie games Project Zomboid looks more sim-ish? I'll look into that one.

I played Don't Starve, but it was too, I don't know, frantic? You have to be on the move all the time, I'd rather have a permanent base of operations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

CatAteSeven posted:

I'm interested in a game that lets me experience space-fleet style combat, with big ol ships broadsiding each other. It can also have smaller ships and the like, but I'm looking for something that definitely has that "big fleet combat" feel. Single player or multiplayer is fine, as well as the game featuring other elements, such as trade or rpg style things.

I've played X3, which while having some of what I want, both doesn't whet that appetite and also doesn't quite have the feel I'm looking for.

I'd also be down with playing a space fleet game, where the ships are in the water. On that note, is World of Warships any good or is it a horrible grind requiring many many mods like WoT?

Seconding Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Not sure how big you want your fleets, you usually control a handful of capital ships, up to something like 12 I think by the end of the game. It's a bit old, but pretty much the only capital spaceship tactical combat game out there. It's also very good.

Haven't tried it yet, but Leviathan Warships looks pretty good. It's top down tactical naval combat with ship customization. Turn based, I think?

Obligarory Warship Gunner 2 mention. Fill every inch of your hull with guns and let loose on waves of enemies. It's more arcadey, and you only cotrol your own ship, but the feeling of blasting fools with huge cannons is amazing. It also has lasers and railguns, but mostly on newgame+. You'll probably need a PS2 emulator for it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

A PSP emulator and some willingness to bash your head on a language barrier, more like. PCSX2 (the only serious ps2 emulator that I know of) has some pretty annoying issues with it that don't appear to be getting fixed any time soon. It is the best drat game on both systems, though.

I think you mentioned this as well when I plugged Warship Gunner last time :v: I played it last time on an oldish laptop, so there was pretty noticeable audio lag, but I didn't notice much else. Maybe it works better on an older version of PCSX2?

Anyway, get it, gud gaem

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been playing a bit of The Guild and I like the entire build a business/gain political power thing, but the cart management is getting on my nerves. Anything a bit more modern and streamlined?

Nothing really that would be similar to Guild. You do know you can set up automatic routes for carts though?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I know, but my OCD demands that I stockpile stuff until the price is high and sell then. Is the second game/expansion any good?

I personally don't like it that much, it adds too much busywork imo. Instead of managing action points, you now control up to three family characters in real-time. The entire Guild collection is on sale on Steam right now for like 2$, so there's nothing stopping you from giving it a try. Play the Renaissance version, it's the best/most complete one.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I played Prison Architect recently and enjoyed it a ton. I'm looking for more games where you optimize processes and plan strategies by tinkering and building poo poo, preferably with a pause function so I can work at my own pace.

Already played Europa Universalis and Cities Skyline, I enjoyed those too. But smaller, charming stuff similar to Prison Architect would be real cool too.

Factorio is p much Optimize Processes: The Game. Haven't played it, but Big Pharma seems like this as well. Rimworld is less about building systems and more watching virtual people die in weird ways, but it's a bit like Prison Architect.

For something a bit more puzzly, you can try any of the Zachtronics games, Infinifactory in particular.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Bishop Beo posted:

I'm trying to find something similar to Warship Gunner (2). I really enjoy the combo of the research and ship design metagame along with the actual campaign itself. Attemping to min-max my battleship by fitting the biggest guns and as many CWIS guns on it as possible was really fun. I don't necessarily need another naval themed one, space ship or whatnot would work too. But the vehicle building/design metagame and singleplayer is what I really enjoy! Any suggestions?

Front Mission is kinda like this, a turn based rpg with customizable giant robots. The original SNES/DS one is still very good, 3 and 4 for the PS1 and PS2 respectively are solid as well, don't know about the rest. Also kinda similar but more obscure and weirder is the Metal Max series. Looks like a typical jrpg, but you drive customizable tanks into battle. Most of them haven't been translated to english though.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

In Quest for Glory 4, every character distrusts and dislikes the protagonist at the beginning of the game. Slowly, the other characters begun to trust and like him. I like this story element. You start off as a distrusted stranger and slowly earn a positive reputation(its like the opposite of Mass Effect.) Any other games with this story element?

If you want something where each character's disposition towards the player actually mechanically influences the story, try Alpha Protocol or Consortium. Telltale adventure games also kinda do this, but to a much lesser degree.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Is any of the farming simulators actually any good? I find games like Spintires or Viscera Cleanup Detail, where you operate heavy machinery or clean and fix stuff kinda relaxing and good to listen to podcasts to. Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 was cool for a while, but after I repaired every car in the game there's not much else to do. There's a few of these farming games with slightly different names, so it would be great if someone told me which is the best one and how much is there to do.

I'd also appreciate recommendations for any other games that might meet those criteria:
- you operate and/or build some kind of machinery or tools to fulfill your goals (e.g. actually controlling the crane in Spintires to load timber onto your truck, and not just pressing a key to do it automatically)
- realistic or at least somewhat grounded esthetic (i.e. not something like Minecraft, or something cartoony, etc.)
- taking stuff apart, fixing things or something to this effect (e.g. Car Mechanic Simulator or World of Guns)
- no or very lax time constraints and pressure
- lots of different tasks
- some sort of goal and direction would be nice, I'm kinda bad at making my own

I'm keeping an eye on Euro Truck Simulator already, so no need to recommend it. Factorio is cool and good, but in this case I'm looking for something smaller scale and less focused on planning and production chains. I have Space Engineers, but it crashes often due to lack of memory, might need to wait for a new HDD to arrive. Survival games are fine, I guess, as long as combat isn't the main focus and the crafting isn't primarily tied to combat gear progression (i.e. you can craft things that do something interesting, not only shootyshooters and shoulder pads).

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good economic/managerial/business sim? It can be dry as a bone and number crunchy, I do not mind that at all. Should be something new though, I know (and in parts, played to death) all the classics.

E: Oh also please no online stuff, I'm allergic

Have you tried Offworld Trading Company?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

No but looks very interesting. For some reason the first time I glanced over it somehow got stuck into my mind that it's an RTS.

It kinda sorta is, except you defeat enemies by controlling the flow of resources and buying out their companies, and there are 'battlefield' abilities centered around influencing the stockmarket. You could say it's an RTS but fought with money instead of guns. I've only tried it for a short while, but it looked pretty neat.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

hampig posted:

I liked The Longest Journey. Fair warning though, there are some old school adventure game puzzles.

The sequels are pretty decent as well. Dreamfall Chapters just released the final episode recently, and I'm liking it so far. There's some branching in the storyline even, not Alpha Protocol level, but I'd place it slightly above your average Telltale game in that departament.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Witcher 3 qualifies as too well known. Which I say because I've tried almost all of those. Dreamfall Chapters is intriguing, especially since it's complete. I own Immortal Defense and Longest Journey but haven't really dipped my fingers in them. So good reminder to go back!

Just keep in mind that Dreamfall Chapters is a direct continuation of the 2006 Dreamfall. There's a 'story so far' option, but the first Dreamfall is pretty decent and not that long anyway. There are a few (I think 4?) very clunky fight sequences, but other than that it's smooth sailing, very little 'adventure game logic'.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

kedo posted:

Er... Whoops. Yes. Good call, I haven't played any of the Sniper Elite games but have been vaguely intrigued for awhile. Thanks folks!

Shoot every hitler in all the balls in glorious xray slow-mo, forever

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

kedo posted:

Speaking of shooting every hitler in the balls... I was looking into these games yesterday. Is there any reason for me to start with the first one? It looks old and kind of janky. I'm assuming there isn't a hell of a lot of storyline that I'm going to be missing out on if I skip to 2?

The storyline is: there are some hitlers left that haven't been shot in the balls yet.

2 is actually pretty decent, but 3 is better in every way.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Rimworld. Rimworld is great. Ignore the recent controversies and just play a good game.

Well now I just gotta know, what's the Rimworld controversy?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Kulkasha posted:

Is there such a thing as a fighting game/rpg? I'm thinking of something like the world tour mode in SF Alpha 3, but with rpg-esque stat/gear progression that's required to beat later bosses.

One Must Fall 2097 championship mode?

djw175 posted:

I assume this is the one. I first saw it get posted in the fabgoon thread and I haven't been following the game so it's the only one I know of.

Rimworld: Biotruths Simulator :negative:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Hey guys, do you know of any modern-ish games that channel Escape Velocity: Nova?

I have played Space Pirates and Zombies and Rogue Galaxy. Anything else good in that vein?

Transcendence: https://transcendence.kronosaur.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mr. Dragoon posted:

Or a open world survival game in 3D that has a objective or goal. "Like Terriaria in 3D"

Empyrion: Galactic Survival maybe? It has more of an exploration and survival focus than Space Engineers, some NPCs to hunt and defend against, it's pretty cool. Astroneer as well, it's very early access but there's some things to do - pretty interesting modular building system for bases and vehicles.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 24, 2017