Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How do you safely deflate them? Driving over a spike strip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This obviously calls for a LASER.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FatCow posted:

I'm not entirely sure my city is aware of how much mechanical energy is being stored in that building.

The equivalent of forty‐two kilograms of TNT.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon posted:

tl;dr You'd have to be in an advanced state of paranoia to think that this was critical structural damage.

That’s a bit strong. The Skagit river bridge collapsed under similar circumstances. What was a critical member in that bridge is not in this one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Hope your car takes regular!

It does now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah, you’re not supposed to look at the screen exclusively. You’re supposed to glance at it to see if there’s anything in your blind spot.

Complaining that it shouldn’t exist is like complaining that mirrors shouldn’t exist because people will use them instead of turning their heads.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seat Safety Switch posted:

More of a horrible craftsmanship failure, but

It’s the welding equivalent of “If you can’t tie a knot, tie a lot.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

(with humans for scale)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beach Bum posted:

What IS that thing?

It used to be a crane on the bulk carrier Seapace.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Munin posted:

Didn't a guy doing a safety demonstration hurl himself off a building a few years back when the safety glass he was demonstrating the solidity of failed?

You’re probably thinking of Gary Hoy, a Toronto lawyer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wasabi the J posted:

Was that Canada? Mike Holmes is gonna have a field day with this code violation...

As a matter of fact it was.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wonder how well the Fiat Multipla would have sold in the U.S..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The PT Cruiser’s tiny rear window is no accident. Chrysler’s consultant, anthropologist Clotaire Rapaille, told them that large windows make people feel exposed and vulnerable. That wouldn’t do, so the PT Cruiser got a window the size of a peephole.

This is presented in marketing circles as a success story.

e: citation

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 6, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

8ender posted:

I saw a lot of VAG cars from their super lovely period in the late nineties down there and I have no idea what magic they're using to keep those cars running longer and more reliably than they do in North America

Fugitive Nazis.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

some texas redneck posted:

Done that. The city won't take them.

Some manufacturers accept them via mail. The NRC used to require this, apparently it no longer does.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SouthsideSaint posted:

How do you know all those laborers are ex race car drivers. Its rude of you to assume.

How rude of you to assume they’re race car drivers. They’re clearly air racers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What are the advantages of frameless windows? Aside from their obvious use on convertibles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did someone say “flames”?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Question: does the oval speedometer actually point to speeds properly or does it just rotate linearly with speed like a circular one would?

I can imagine Rover just doing the normal linear rotation and the speedo being pretty much worthless for the sake of "style".

It looks to me like the numbers have consistent angular spacing, so the needle can turn the same as it would on a circular speedometer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

But a wind sock tells direction and speed. A vane only shows direction. How is a weather vane better than a wind sock? This is important

The weather vane has an anemometer attached. Problem solved.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sirbeefalot posted:

I guess you'd balance that by eye, or...?

Just pour some BBs inside. It’ll balance itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think SCUBA tanks win. Their pressure is nearly as high (240 bar, 3500 psi), but they’re comparatively huge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

Edit: For me, at the end of the day it's about a 2-second habit that cuts off any chance - no matter how remote - that someday I could have problems. By the time I die I'll have wasted more of my life trying to figure out if I'm really about to sneeze or not than I will have by setting/releasing the parking brake.

Have a foot‐operated brake; waste no time at all by releasing/setting the brake at the same time you fasten/unfasten your seatbelt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

torpedan posted:

I can't be the only one who sees a spider on the rag? Right?

From the awful architecture thread:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Which actually occurred in new mexico while they were at Los Alamos if I am remembering correctly.

He would visit her in the hospital in between helping with building the bomb and playing jokes on the other physicists at Los Alamos.

On the way to the hospital for the final time he got three flat tires, and one on the way back. Los Alamos–Albuquerque is a trip of about 100 miles, and I’ve wondered if there was some factor explaining all those flats (substandard materials due to war rationing?) or it it was just coincidence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mercury Ballistic posted:

There is a sea story of a bunch of stowaways who were killed when the chain departing the chain locker they were hiding shredded them. Sea story though so ...

Chains lockers are terrible places to stow away for a subtler reason.

There’s a lot of steel rusting in a confined space, so much that it can dangerously deplete the oxygen concentration in the air.

You won’t feel stuffy because there’s no CO2 build‐up. You’ll just pass out and die.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sharkytm posted:

That is an amazing poster. I'm a fan of "Makes the sperm unable to find the egg"... No bueno.

“Mouse pheremone” is coincidentally the name of my new band.

I also like “armpits (when 3‐methylated)”. Don’t we all know that smell.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

People do that here all the time. They use red tuck tape.

Amazon carries multiple brands of adhesive‐backed red vinyl for “emergency” tail light repair.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

Goddamn, that is the ugliest dash I've ever seen.

It’s got nothing on the Multipla’s (just as ugly on the outside if you’re not familiar with it):

kastein posted:

Depends. It's actually still legal to use asbestos in some products, as far as I know*. No sane company does since it's terrible publicity.

IIRC a court struck down most of the ban in the early ’90s so the only thing stopping asbestos 2: electric boogaloo is :effort:.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 6, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How is the Lamborghini not dead as of the end of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWedR5R3OW8

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I converted the video to GIF.

You can embed webm/gfy now. :ssh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/HUAsypy.gifv

Bad cat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The unit switch on the boiling/freezing point is a masterstroke.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is my favourite Lowe quote, from Things I Won’t Work With: Chalcogen Polyazides.

quote:

Ranking my equipment in terms of its shrapneliferousness is not something that’s ever occurred to me, I have to say. It’s safe to assume that any procedure which involves considering which parts of the apparatus I’d prefer to have flying past me will not get much business in my lab, no matter how dashing I might look in a leather suit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

But all the other cars were parked there. It looked so safe.

(Ice, not tide.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Throatwarbler posted:

120 accidents and 30 injuries from people running over themselves because their Chrysler gearshift is too confusing.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/u-s-investigators-find-fiat-chrysler-gear-shifters-confusing-1.2768952

In this particular case, the interface is poorly designed. At the same time, the drivers’ failure is why we can’t have nice things, like EVs that don’t “creep” like a 19‐goddamn‐40 Hydra‐Matic®.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boat posted:

Toyota figured it out,
code:
 D
 |
N+--o
 |  |
 R  B
And a big honking button w/light for park.

A button they put way too close to the air vent in some models.

I accidentally hit it the other night while travelling down the highway and trying to adjust the vent. All it does while moving is put it in neutral, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

netwerk23 posted:

Couldn't we simplify it to a lever with three states - middle for park, forward for go and backwards for reverse? I doubt most people care/need 1 or 2 or Lo or whatever. You could make the gear handle a tiny car to visually represent it, push the car forward and it goes forward. Pull it to the middle to stop and park it. Pull it back to reverse. Seems easy.

Neutral is a legal requirement. Low is rarely necessary, but when it is you really want to have it.