Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

VogeGandire posted:

I'm re-reading Death of WCW, after finally getting it on Kindle.

God it hurts my soul. I don't think they could have made MORE bad decisions if they were trying to kill the company.

Which reminds me of one passage in the book:

The Death of WCW posted:

one of Master P's henchmen, Swoll, a huge guy with no talent, was signed for $400,000 per year

Now, a page or two before that it mentions how they had hired Master P for five non-wrestling appearances that had cost them about one million dollars in total. I can sort of maybe understand throwing that much money on Master P (even if his angle got killed almost immediately) because they were throwing away money on a lot of "celebrities" at that point, but seriously, Swoll? That's a higher per-year contract than they gave to some of the wrestlers they hired and never used, someone at WCW must have seriously thought Swoll would be the next big thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Monkey Man posted:

If I recall correctly, the story behind the Tank Abbott knife incident is that Tank asked management if he could use a "weapon" on Big Al after the match, and they assumed that he meant a folding chair or something and said okay.

The Huntington Beach Bad Boy, ladies and gentlemen.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Death of WCW mentions that at one point Russo had to do episodes of Nitro wearing a helmet due to how bad the concussions got. Was he still putting himself up to take bumps at that point or was the helmet more of a "if you take any more head damage you'll die" kind of thing?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

jeffersonlives posted:

It was a rotating column called "Death by Thunder" or something like that. It usually involved alcohol.

You wouldn't happen to still have this up somewhere online, would you?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was it Russo's influence that made the last(?) WCW video game take place entirely in the backstage area of an arena and never once in a wrestling ring?

Coincidentally, that was also the same game where you can play as Russo.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

To here Jim Cornette tell it, Russo's greatest weakness while booking was his inability to learn from anyone or to even want to learn about the wrestling business and how to work in it (what to do, what not to do etc.)

Any mistakes he made in the late 90s were basically never improved on and things just went downhill from there.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rad R. posted:

Back to the topic of the Clash and WCW in general. Did they ever consider making a separate, cruiserweight-only show?

No, but there was a real, concrete attempt to make an NWO-only show.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Solomonic posted:

Whoa now, let's be fair to Sting, there were also aspects lifted directly from The Mask.

e: I was being only sort of serious there but upon checking Youtube holy poo poo

"Evil clowns, in the rafters!"

But yeah, I guess you can at least say that Sting is good at impersonations :shobon:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Say Nothing posted:

Master P was paid around $100,000 per appearance.
I had no idea who he was when he appeared in WCW.
I still have no idea.

Your post got me to pull out my copy of "The Death of WCW" again and, holy poo poo, it was actually higher than that at $200,000 per appearance. Also, $400,000 a year for the contract they gave to Swoll, one of Master P's No Limit Soldiers.

I also like the line

The Death of WCW posted:

Nitro the following Monday was at the SuperDome in New Orleans before a paying crowd of 15,593. Master P had bragged to the company that his presence would make the building sell out. Considering that the building could hold over 55,000, Master P was wrong.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 9, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Toffile posted:

Turner basically produced no original series for the entirety of its ownership of WCW. TNT didn't really start producing original series until the 2000s, TBS did some stuff in the 80s, but did nothing in the 90s. TCM doesn't produce new content, which is kind of the point.

It would have been utterly ludicrous to throw them on CNN.

CN as a product only really matured when WCW was dying. Outside of Space Ghost, it was nothing but Looney Tunes and Hannah Barbera reruns. I guess maybe they could have been special guest stars in the Powderpuff Girls, but the demographics were all wrong.

According to The Death of WCW, there were plans at to make a WCW cartoon (which got shelved when the company started tanking), so maybe they were planning to put that on CN at some point.

Whether this would have been an NWO cartoon is left up to the reader's imagination.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 10, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's somehow crazy to me that Hogan was only 43 in 1996. He looked middle-aged for most of his career. Must be the 'stache.

And the baldness. I think he was already or mostly balding in 1982, even.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

How 'bout that Tank Abbot?

I heard he was the original Huntington Beach Bad Boy.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 7, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

triplexpac posted:

Didn't we give someone a golfer gimmick in Rarity's TEW Let's Play?

Yeah, Drew "Hole In One" McIntyre.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Probably what we'll get when TNA closes down but with Bischoff having to make appearances on indie events Raw.

Come on Sleazy E, I know you can do it :allears:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cornwind Evil posted:

So where does all this money that doesn't actually exist go? Into the pockets of executives I assume.

Also, 1) I'm amused that the Fingerpoke actually has its own Wikipedia entry, and 2) The spinning in the 'Criticism' segment of it is so strong I now have the neck range of the average owl.

You'd be correct

Wikipedia posted:

Criticism

In his autobiography, Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Hulk Hogan rejected the idea that the Fingerpoke of Doom was pivotal in WCW's fall. He claimed that "watering down the whole concept" of the New World Order by splitting the group and creating spinoffs such as the Latino World Order and an inability to compete with the WWF's more risqué "Attitude style" were more responsible for WCW's downfall. He also claimed that Goldberg had no positive effect on the ratings and was hard to work with.[21]

Eric Bischoff's autobiography Controversy Creates Ca$h includes a chapter entitled The Turning Point That Wasn't. In it, Bischoff claimed that singling out the Fingerpoke as the reason WCW went under to be an over-simplification. He did acknowledge that people switched from watching Nitro to Raw after Schiavone's remark about Foley winning the WWF World Championship, but claimed that "the tide had turned so significantly that us talking about one match didn't matter".[22]

Bonus points for how goddamn terrible the part of Hogan's book it cites is

Hulk Hogan posted:

"People in the state of Georgia were happy that I got my rear end beat by their homeboy. Unfortunately nobody else in America seemed to feel that way. The numbers didn't change. The only thing that was different was that Bill Goldberg had the belt-and that turned out to be another type of problem...this monster who didn't ever want to lose a match...when a guy's one-dimensional you can't do anything with him....working with Bill Goldberg became a nightmare."

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RBX posted:

Somebody post the captain America picture.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Volcano Style posted:

A lot of their ripoff songs were pretty good.

This can also be applied to exactly one ripoff song TNA has produced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAzkR-VZ6g

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Occupy Japan posted:

I just watched KC's Guest Booker with Vince Russo and I have to say, as bad as Russo is at booking wrestling and talking about wrestling and having opinions about wrestling and writing wrestling and wrestling in wrestling, his idea for the Invasion is actually a zillion times better than how that trainwreck actually played out (though, to be fair, not even doing an Invasion angle and just briefly acknowledging the WCW purchase and then dumping WCW's talent into the midcard would have been a zillion times better). Surprisingly, it's not a whole lot more "that's a shoot, brother" than Cornette's Guest Booker covering the same angle, despite what you'd expect from Russo.

Then again, I'm sure the other stuff he'd have booked under the Invasion would have been :russo: as hell.

DDP vs. Undertaker in a Sara on a Pole match.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Red posted:

Given enough time, WCW creative would've come up with:

- cWo - The Cruiserweight World Order
- mWo - The Masked World Order
- pWo - The (Face)Paint World Order
- jWo - The Japanese World Order
- eWo - The Extreme World Order
- iWo - The Indy World Order
- hWo - The Horsemen World Order

:haw: : "What can we call the world order for tall guys?"
:) : "Hoss world order?"
:haw: : "Tall guy world order?"
:) : "Main Eventer world order?"

I'd mark out for a world order containing only Buff Bagwell and Scott Steiner.

bWo - The Buff World Order

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who would the worst WCW promo be of the people they actually let talk?

Sid.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oldpainless posted:

Everyone talks about "Day of the Warrior" being some obscure cult film but if you had Showtime or The Movie Channel in the 90s you were gonna see that movie, like it or not. And I liked it.

Plus the sequel was even better.

Further proof that Buff is the stuff.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

natetimm posted:

I've heard it said a lot that Lex wasn't "one of the boys" and thought he was better than wrestling but he sure looks like he's having a good time there.

Cocaine is the universal solvent.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Buff Bagwell followed by Glacier, it's like a dream come true :allears:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The only match that didn't have any appeal was Buff vs Scotty.

And even that match had Buff taking time out to talk to the camera about how awesome he was.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'd say it's a tossup between giving Hogan creative control and giving Nash the books.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Literally every moment involving Tank Abbott.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Say Nothing posted:

Wasn't there some huge text article listing all of the WCW stupidity around somewhere? Anyone know the one I mean?

Also, Scott Norton accidentally penis suplexed Chip Minton and the camera didn't cut away in time.

Found it, The Wrestling Sleaze List.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

HHH was The Wall. Nick Patrick rings the bell while Bryan tries to ride the elevator up on top of the building and Bryan gets DQed. HHH's count never starts because he never actually entered the ring. Kevin Nash spray-paints a shovel on Bryan's butt.

In the distance, Hulk Hogan is standing in the ring at WrestleMania 30 while pointing in HHH's direction and shouting "THAT'S THE GAME, BROTHER!"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Bigass Moth posted:

I think Michael Buffer made $10,000 per appearance to do about 10 seconds of work.

And the same amount of money regardless of whether he got the wrestler's name right.

BRET "THE HITMAN" CLARK!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Say Nothing posted:

Has Hogan ever been in a movie which didn't totally suck balls?

Rocky III, featuring Hogan's best acting and quite possibly best wrestling.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DeathChicken posted:

I think it was Raven who said ECW would eventually get to a place where Heyman would talk someone into being shot on camera. "Tommy, do it for ECW! It'll only be a glancing blow!"

In a swerve, New Jack becomes the second gunman.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fortunately, Buff Bagwell's theme makes up for all of that.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

1st AD posted:

What exactly was the reasoning behind WCW signing Tank Abbot? Were they trying to have their own less roidy/fatter/worse performing Ken Shamrock?

He proclaimed himself to be the original Huntington Beach Bad Boy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oatgan posted:

Tony Schiavone owns so hard

Greatest announcer in the history of our sport.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Halloween Jack posted:

If Hall had seen Nash on a different day, would Sting have dressed like the Wizard of Oz?

Oh, to live in the parallel universe where Vinnie Vegas descends from the rafters each Nitro.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

epitasis posted:

Nash rules

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CombineThresher posted:

Is it really THAT good?

The episode with Buff on it totally is.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

weekly font posted:

Isn't the theater at MSG a stage? A ring up on a stage is a weird setup for a wrestling show.

Wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that. They had a house show in Columbia, South Carolina about five months ago at a venue that if memory serves me right was just a small community theater. I guess they pulled back the curtain and used most of the backstage area so they could go outside the ring, but it must have looked janky as gently caress regardless.

The only other way I can think of doing it is to tear down a bunch of the seats and relocate them to the stage so the ring could go in the very middle of the room, but that would have been a terrible setup as well.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 8, 2014

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Endorph posted:

I imagine the power trip of beating RAW in the ratings got to his head. People going 'holy poo poo, we're beating WWF!' and he can't very well lose, not now that he's kicking their asses. He'd look like a complete tool. How could you go from winning to losing?

I don't think there's any specific story to it, just a guy letting his ego balloon out of control.

He probably got a memo from someone higher up at Time Warner the second ratings started to level off and poo poo just got weird from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

quote:

One last WCW tale, which again involves poor ED and once again illustrates why Bookers are better than Writers and could also be a warning to all who are producing pro-wrestling currently. One afternoon at TV I was walking with Ed Ferarra who had the format sheet for Nitro in his hand and he was organizing what seemed like 100 pre-taped segments backstage. I half jokingly commented to him, "drat, you aren't afraid to write a thousand pre-tapes are you?" To this he responded, "Well, we have to tell these stories." in rebuttal I pointed out, "You know, if given time some of us can actually tell these stories in the ring." This got no verbal response from Ed, all I got from him was a look of befuddlement like this concept had never occurred to him before and he didn't really believe me.