Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just don't want my boys to miss the BIG gamble when results come in because they were dancing in and out of the daily volatility!!!

Get that high volume CRTX trading outta your system in 2020 at the latest!

When we gonna get options on this bitch?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

No options? No thanks

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Asleep Style posted:

Good news, Robinhood now allows you to buy fractional shares

Gotta get on the waitlist first

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Just bought 100 shares of AMD today to sell some slightly OTM calls on and now I'm hosed

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Wallstreetbets on reddit

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Save that money and buy GILD calls

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

REITs are going to be a graveyard until we start to see work unfreeze.

I put too large of a % of my portfolio in REITs like a dumbass, can't wait to see how all this shakes out once they all probably go bankrupt. MFA already down 93% this month

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Not quite -- up to $1k is available right away but the rest is a long window, for me it took 6 trading days until my transfer cleared.

If you have Gold it increases the instant availability amount

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Bluechips JNJ, GE, and T are all being kind to me today. The big question I have is, when are they going to crash again? I figure they will reach their ATH, or near that, before plunging again in the next few months. Does it make sense to pick a target to sell at, and then try to re-buy after another plunge?

Timing the market is always a good idea

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Omerta posted:

Something that some people consider in trading is unusual options volume. Having OTM options volume that exceeds open interest is notable and can suggest insider info or a position by one of the big boys. Same for large blocks of options bought shortly before expiration.

A recent and likely civil/criminal violation was someone buying a ton of OTM GILD calls the day before expiration. That video got leaked, and I think the options went up by like 1,100%.

On the other hand, big option volume can also just be a hedge and not mean anything. It’s just an interesting data point to consider.

There was also 32k 14k CRWD 85C for 4/24 bought today which i found quite interesting

DoubleT2172 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 20, 2020

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

If it goes into negatives do they pay us to buy USO?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

mr.belowaverage posted:

This is my question, too. You guys doing options, do you normally buy small priced items, like those for $1.08?

If you're out at $1.50, is that just $0.42 profit/contract?

How many contracts do you normally buy?

I'm trying to get a sense of you other traders' strategies. I think I might be like most newbies thinking each trade needs to be a big win vs. racking up the small net profits?

A option is for a lot of 100, so it's $42 profit, cost to buy was $108

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Sepist posted:

Definitely going to $50 tomorrow.

*stares at his 1,200 shares*

Down 12% already, RIP

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I have a single share of TSLA and can't decide if I should sell or just ride it into valhalla

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm selling covered put credit spreads on high volume bullish stocks. High volume stocks are where you can find the most lottery tickets, you're lending money to people who are trying to hit a powerball jackpot. Sometimes they win, but you also take a smaller version of the same bet, so if you do lose, you can just pay them off with your own winnings from that slightly smaller jackpot. If the stock keeps going up and following its trend, you win regardless. If it goes sideways, you still win.

Example: NIO is trading at $14.00 and is very bullish right now.

In the same transaction:

Sell a 7/17 OOTM put at $10.5 strike price
Buy a 7/17 OOTM put at $10 strike price

If the stock ends over at expiration on 7/17 $10.5, you keep your investment plus the $2 premium. You risk $8, so you want you probability of success to be >75%. Because this stock is extremely high volume, there are a lot of people out there going for insane strike prices at very close expirations, but overall it's still very bullishly trending and would need to lose 40% of its value in 3 days to lose. You buy many of these pairs of put spreads at various strike prices going down to spread out risk even more.

I know you gave the "I might have done the math wrong" disclaimer but looking at that you're risking $48 to make $2, not risking $8 which is significantly more risk vs reward

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah actually that's correct I was forgetting about the 0.40x100 + premium part, it was just an example and I don't actually own that spread so I was eyeballing it. That said, if you have a high chance of winning, it's still worth it in the long run. I'm not sure what the chance of profitability is on those options.

edit: I checked and it would have to be 96.1%, which actually isn't that hard to find, and in reality you could probably go with ~90%+ chance of profitability because the option doesn't really take the trend into account.

I get it but with the NIO example doing that weekly you can win 20 times then lose once and your gains are wiped out and it's a Chinese stock so we can't forget it could be pulling a Luckin or something and actually have that big a drop in a week

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

jokes posted:

Selling options is a very cool and viable way of making money but the cash you need is absurd, and the people who are learning about them are the exact people who should never ever sell options because they will gently caress it up and end up owing hundreds of thousands of dollars because they're loving idiots on Robin Hood.

And then kill themselves over the weekend when Robinhood's stupid rear end UI shows them -700k when that isn't true

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone throwing in on AAPL assuming the post split means it's going to hit an ATH due to Robinhood and others? Bought $10k in stock at $411ish on Friday

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Alctel posted:

Holy smokes I didn't realise that. Wow.

My lender told me if I had bought the day I got pre-approved my rate would be 2.5% on a 30 year

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

WeBull is owned by China so I'd be wary with how the current administration is fighting Chinese tech

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I bought both Tesla and Apple shares the day after the split announcement and it's been working so far but now I'm getting severe Ralph "I'm in danger" feelings since $10k that I used to buy the Apple shares was on margin with the intention to sell a covered call way out of the money but with enough premium to pay the interest and slowly pay the margin off but it's hard to not just sell 20 shares now and pay it off

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

NGC773 posted:

TSLA please stop

Shhhhh

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Absolutely

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

ranbo das posted:

Every share of PSTH has (at least) 2/9 of a warrant attached as well. Keep that in mind when trying to value it.

How the hell does that even work?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

pmchem posted:

did you just unironically refer to a blank check SPAC -- with no announced target -- as a safe place to park money or am I missing some joke here

BILL ACKMAN™

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

My goodness AAPL. hope I can buy tomorrow at this price.

Why not just put in an extended market time order?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

HMNY was my first investment. What a poo poo show

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

Amd is back up to 92 and I’m considering getting out because I got in at like 20-30. Now that the new consoles and video cards and cpus are out I’m not sure it’s going to go any higher. Thoughts?

Number can always go up

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

I sold CSPs on PLTR $19 12/18 for $180 each 2 weeks ago. Just bought them out for $11 each. Made $169 on each :nice:

Now, do I tempt fate and roll up?

Yes, Sell some 12/24 $30P

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Harvest those losses to save on taxes!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

When I first downloaded robinhood early this year Bitcoin was at $8000. I ignored it because bitcoin, but now I’m feeling like I’m back in 2011 making fun of Atlas and other teenagers saying how Libertarian Coin would crumble the idea of fiat currency

Could you buy drugs online with Libertarian Coin? This is very important for my DD on if Bitcoin should be touched or not

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

This kind of got missed on the last page, so I'll repost it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/kr5ewm/meet_perspecta_prsp_a_boomer_palantir_that_might/

Is this guy full of poo poo, or does this look like a winner to you guys?

All I know is the pre the post the guy was supposedly holding 1/15 30C that he had paid $.70/contract for that were worth $.10 at the time of the post. I checked after he had got the interest drummed up and they were $.40/bid&$.50/ask. Real convenient way to get out without as much loss

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

hah this is where I'm at too. I just try to ignore it.

I sold my holdings waaay back when TSLA bought SolarCity in what seemed to me to be an obvious attempt to bail out various Musk's family from a failing company. I think the price was $190? ugh.

Wasn't that $190 at the pre split level too? So $38 at the stock price adjusted to today

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I don't get how "BTC IS FOR ILLEGAL THINGS" is valid as a criticism when dollar bills are also used for illegal things all the time

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

cr0y posted:

Non meme stock degenerate conversation: I am holding a couple $AMD 2/19 $13 calls and realized I don't know what to do with them with AMD reporting earnings Tuesday after close.

Ya know, "don't hold through earnings"

If that's not a fat finger and you actually hold $13 calls that you (i assume at this point) got relatively cheap and didn't just buy when they were deep in the money, you call up your broker and say "I'd like to exercise these contracts" so you own 200 shares of AMD at a $13 cost basis

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

cr0y posted:

That was a fat finger, sorry been in BB mode all day. $90 calls for AMD

Although I still do have some $10 TLRY calls I might exercise and sock away into my long-term folder. I use eTrade, do I just gotta call them or something? From what I've read you can't exercise options via the web interface.

I'd just sell Tuesday before close and hope there is a run up to capture some extra IV exposure Mon and Tues. Though obvs you can get bit if they blow out earnings and go higher but that's always the risk

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I am struggling to understand this, can someone please check my logic. Did this person spend $600 on a lottery ticket that paid off? The worst that could happen is they would've lost $600 right?

gently caress if you're monitoring WSB / discord closely to narrow down memes, what's the downside of taking a few grand a year and spreading it on a few 0day calls like this? Will a lot of them go to zero?

This is correct, $6/contract, 98 contracts. So most he could have lost is ~$600. The deal though is 99.99999999% of the time those are expiring worthless. Dude got lucky. I mean you can too, but it really is basically playing the lottery when you do these 0DTE calls way out of the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

thats not candy posted:

Yeah 0dte way outside the money calls like that are dirt cheap, you can pick up hundreds of them at a time usually but you're just throwing money away unless you know that squeeze is coming

I have a feeling that 0DTE calls for GME on next Friday will be priced much higher due to this one paying off too lol