Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sanchez posted:

US median household income is higher than just about anywhere, a handful of countries in western europe and australia beat it, not much else...

This is also ruining the new car thread

Yeah, last comment on this, honest. We can drag this to a political thread or PM if anyone wants to continue talking about it.

US median cost of living is also higher than just about anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

davebo posted:

That's one thing I never got about 911's. Would anyone notice if the rear seats were done away with? Are people going on family trips in those, because any kid with legs is just gonna be complaining the entire ride.

This is where the dogs go.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

I don't know if you missed the memo, but we currently have three regular posters here who have a Viper, a Lamborghini, and a just purchased Ferrari.

And other expensive cars too, at least until people started being goons and creeped them out of the forum.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I'd like something that "feels" like a car, looks like a semi, and handles like Grave Digger. Oh, and I'll pay $50,000 for it if you call it a trim line that makes me feel good about myself. - The American car-buying public.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Not true. 'Muricans looooooooove the poo poo out of big 'ol staxxxed, coal rollin', dualied up diesel TRUCKS.

And then the hippies love VW diesels.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wheeee posted:

GM engineers have always been wizards, but they are wizards who sold their souls to demons GM management, who in turn torment the foolish bastards by allowing only the smallest bits of brilliance to shine through mediocre products ruined by awful design, packaging, and supplier decisions, like trickster Djinn with hardons for twelve inch pianists.

Petition name change for forum user 14 Inch Dick to 14 Inch Pianist.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm pretty sure Clarkson has done that with 99% of American cars :v:

And then the one he didn't he bought, then proceeded to bitch about how impractical it was.

That's right, Clarkson is the kind of knob that bitches about the practicality of a Ford GT.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

...because the insurance company required a third party alarm system, which kept insisting it was stolen and shutting the car down.

Nah, he was bitching about how his loving race car had bad gas mileage and a small gas tank.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Cage posted:

Who cares about evos? :colbert:

Not enough to keep it around, apparently.

RIP, EVO. Maybe now you'll get cheap enough for me to buy one.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Alarbus posted:

"I live my life one CostCo run at a time"?

New forum title spotted.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

savesthedayrocks posted:

*See every car peel out ever.

I'm the 420a Eclipse with what is apparently a 10-speed manual.

Also:
MANIFOLD DANGER

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Powershift posted:

There, i fixed it.

Now you just need a brown car and make the inner grille piece red.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You'll see those in most new cars - they're for active cruise control and emergency forward braking systems. They need to have an unobstructed view forward. In that shot, if you couldn't see through the grille to the radiator, I think it would look a lot better.

which honda interiors actually look bad from a styling perspective besides the ridiculous Civic digital speedometer?

yeah this looks really terrible

Ah, I see they've also attended the "just jam a loving tablet in there" school of design.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

Yea sucks other than that the rest looks great. I was looking at the Audi A3's awhile ago and the nav/stereo can be put away into the dash which is just loving genius and I don't see why everyone else doesn't do that.

Well, the Mazdaspeed 6 at least does that too. Part of the problem with that though is that they seem to forget the concept of design when they do that, and it also makes installing an aftermarket system even more difficult.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Q_res posted:

Yeah, at the tail-end of the Nasser era/beginning of the Bill Jr era Ford was playing with the idea of buying out their dealer network and running the whole thing themselves. I think franchise laws in a few states is what killed it.

Several manufacturers have made some noise about this; they know the dealerships tend to be cesspools filled with the scum of the retail industry, and they'd have a lot more control over their brand reputation (and probably actually make more money) if they controlled the whole chain. These laws exist for a reason, the dealerships wouldn't have spent the money to buy protectionist laws if the manufacturers didn't want to control that part of the chain.

This is also why the dealership system is collectively losing their poo poo over Tesla's model. If Tesla continues to "get away" with it, you're probably going to see the larger manufacturers taking another long look at changing their business model.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

New Ram. 225lbs lighter, now with cooled rear seats, power lift gate, available mild hybrid on both V6 and V8, 12' touchscreen.

Dodge. Sure, we jammed a tablet in to the dash too, but ours is portrait!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

dissss posted:

It’s why they’re so much more popular than station wagons that I can’t figure out.

Even the local newspaper which reviewed the CX-5 and 6 wagon together said that they don’t understand why you’d go for the CUV when the wagon is a cheaper and better alternative. It’s not like we ever have snow here or anything like that.

"Because that's the car my mom drove".

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wrar posted:

I know we're all having a go but WinPhone 10 as a basic phone was good. The OS was light and responsive. It just had zero app support. I really liked the live tiles too. They're stupid as gently caress on a desktop but were great on a phone.

RIP Lumina 635. Also RIP Nokia in general, it's a shame you were too stupid to make Android phones, they would have been great.

I still use a Windows Phone because I hatehateHATE the Android and iOS UI.

I also have an Android tablet for an e-reader and games, because there aren't any apps for Windows Phone

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Windows phone is awesome and has the nicest UI but until Microsoft figures out a way for it to run Android apps natively (Or with low enough overhead in a VM) the platform is a joke.

Windows Phone is dead "for now" as far as a platform, they're keeping the development fork around "sort of", but they're re-focusing on it being an "enterprise platform", and if/when they re-enter the market it's highly likely it's going to be a full-featured windows system with telephony capability.

The funny thing is, they HAD an Android compatibility platform (Astoria, they also had an iOS bridge which is why you got the Candy Crush games and such), and it was AWESOME; it was basically an Android layer within the Windows subsystem and had +90% compatibility out of the box. Basically anything that utilized Google's services layer wouldn't work (because of course), but they had code pieces you could just plug in to redirect to Microsoft's version of those services.

And then Satya killed it, because of course he did.

The new common core philosophy is a good one, but Microsoft dicked around too long and made too many stupid decisions to have a chance in the mobile market at this point. Enterprise handsets might keep things going for a while (since they don't give a poo poo about apps) and justify keeping the platform around, outside of them basically having to keep it around to have the telephony layer for when they're able to release full windows on a handset form factor.

Let me tell you about how Band 2 was an outstanding wearable that really wasn't given a chance either.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Use a Lumia 550 for a week and tell me that wasn't a product that had already been given up on. Pretty sad when BLU made a better $200 winphone than Microsoft did near the end there.
or lol, remember when HERE pulled the plug on MS and you couldn't GPS if you didn't have an existing installation of it for 6 months? straight-up bumblefuck, that was.
anyways RIP BeOS Phone 10. I bitch, but I miss it.

Lumia 550 was supposed to be an entry-level device, which was probably a dumb decision anyway (look at how much the loving iphones cost, people will buy an expensive phone if it's got the features and apps to back it up).

I've been using Windows devices since 5.0, my latest ones have been the 920, 1520 (the 32GB international version, not the nerfed at&t), and now I'm using an HP Elite X3, which is a fantastic device (I was looking at a 950xl, but this one is newer, more powerful, and I got an excellent deal on it).

I'll keep going on this as long as I can, hopefully Microsoft will release Metro on Launcher, at least then I can get an Android with a non-lovely UI.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MrYenko posted:

True, but you can also appreciate a poised, solid, well engineered car while driving sedately on the highway. Every Prius I’ve ever driven just feels substandard. Slow, goes around corners on the door handles, mediocre brake feel, just an awful car.

I mean, I’ve driven worse (a recent Nissan Versa rental comes to mind,) but Prius is awful in every way that isn’t reliability or fuel economy.

The loving Versa. Everything is wrong with that car.

I mean, who makes the decision of "we're going to put bluetooth in here, but only for the phone. If you want to play music you're going to have to plug in an aux cable".

It's like they were actively trying to make it as poo poo as possible.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

dissss posted:

It’s actually really common on older cars - calls and media use different Bluetooth profiles so which both need to be supported by the car.

If you look in your more modern car that has both profiles available you’ll be able to disconnect one while leaving the other connected.

Not by like 2016 though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So I think we've established that the best vehicle would be something like:

TTV6 (MPG++)
RWD w/ LSD (Sporty/burnouts)
Lowered (Sporty/easy on knees)
Towing Capacity (haul the Miata)
6.5' bed (haul crap)
Rad Stickers (HP++)

I'm down.

Pictured: partway in to the disabled because it's still too fuckin' big for parking spaces.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I agree, but a few weeks ago I was at the local Dodge dealership and I was sitting in a full loaded RAM crew cab. I opened the door and a full-length running board flipped down for me to step on. I climb in and it was cavernous inside. So wide I'd have to reach to touch my passenger's leg. Giant vertical touch screen. Backseat bigger than my dad's Taurus, 4WD, V8, a bed... and some incredibly supple leather. I could see why somebody would spend $60k on it as their only vehicle.

edit: I only took one picture of it but you know the type.

I really enjoy how it actually has "RAM" written on the top of the gauge cluster, which is above the giant gently caress-off goat on the steering wheel. I guess it's so the Memento crowd don't forget what they're driving?

(fe): Hahahahaha, one above the center console too. That's just ridiculous.

CornHolio posted:

Not a lot but people with big expensive trucks are usually afraid of door dings and so park at the way back of the parking lot anyway in the middle of four handicapped spaces to they have a proper bubble around their precious compensator.

Fixed.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

thechalkoutline posted:

Ram Man reminds you he has a CCW permit and demands you take that back

RAM MAN is gonna have to find me first.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"A shell that looks vaguely like a new Toyota Supra will be in NASCAR".

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Modus Man posted:

So what manual should I get to go with my Busch Lite?

The one that has RCW 46.61.502.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Unfortunately, everyone is prone to selfish behaviour and without any regulations discouraging taller, larger vehicles, well, we find ourselves in our current predicament.

Gas taxes for non-commercial vehicles would work a treat. A co-worker of mine already just traded in his Silverado for a Golf recently because he was sick of paying for so much gas, and that was with gas prices the way they are currently. Imagine if they were .50/L more expensive!

Just eliminating the CAFE exemptions would probably do wonders.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

skipdogg posted:

He's basically a high earner. High up in a very profitable company and has a piece of ownership in the company as well. Enough about my neighbor though.

The lease is up on our 2017 Explorer Sport pretty soon and I'm definitely going to buy it at the end of the lease.

I looked at a 2020 Explorer ST as a replacement, but drat if that thing isn't getting too close to 60K for my tastes. Is there a breaking point in new vehicle prices, and are we getting there? I'm not spending 60K on an Explorer ST, so that's my breaking point right now. I got a decent deal on the 2017 so it made sense at the time. To answer my own question though, is no, some people will keep paying for new cars. My wife works at a Credit Union and they regularly see 84 month loans at 5% on 60 to 80K new SUV's and trucks. Some CU's will do 96 months on new vehicles. They don't learn their lesson though, they got burned hard on vehicle loan defaults a few years ago. It's going to happen again.

Continued depression in wages is leading what used to be a hot market for cars (young people) to defer car purchases, buy used where they can still find a reasonable price point, or not buy a car altogether and depend on rideshare/transit/on-demand rental. So now auto manufacturers are in a spiral where they're having to capture a piece of slowly contracting market of rich people and olds.

Unless wage stagnation and income equality gets fixed right quick things are going to get progressively uglier for the auto market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Yep. It's been proven again and again that the best avenue for providing public welfare is direct transfer of funds, and that it generates significant economic stimulus.

Even better is to pump it in to infrastructure spending. You not only get economic stimulus from a bunch of people having jobs that give them money to buy poo poo, you also get stuff that's a public good out of it.