Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
You can turn it off. Alternatively, the sound files are stored on an SD card so you could replace the voices using a Mr. T or William Daniels soundboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The burnout is incredible: http://jalopnik.com/5531592/ferrari-599-gto-enters-tunnel-of-love

If only I could afford a 599 GTO.
You can now build your own! Mine's Avorio with the Abu Dhabi Blue stripe and it's classy as hell.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Left Ventricle posted:

Will it still have the turbo five now that Volvo's been sold off?
More likely it will have some variant of the new turbo I4. There's a 2.0L version that could probably get close to Volvo power.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

BMW has released some info about their city car project. They are building the frame out of carbon fiber to offset the weight of batteries for the electric drivetrain. Seems like it's pretty far along seeing as they are crash testing it.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/07/02/bmw-megacity-first-mass-produced-carbon-fiber-car/

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

MINI has officially announced that they are partnering with Prodrive to enter the WRC. Cars are also being made available for private teams. The best part is that they are using the 4 door Countryman, which means that the Mini purists and historians will be forced to love a car that they have hated up to this point.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/07/27/its-official-mini-is-going-rally-racing-in-the-wrc/

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Hold on Hyundai, I don't think some people are done reeling from the Juke yet:
http://jalopnik.com/5728965/hyundai-curb-tries-too-hard-to-be-cool

Actually, I like the Juke and don't mind this one, except for that godawful C-pillar.
Also at the auto show, Hyundai released the production Veloster. It has 138 hp, manual or dual clutch automatic, weighs less than 2600 lbs, will get around 40 mpg highway, and will cost under 18k. So it's like a cheaper, more practical, more efficient Honda CR-Z. The styling is, uh, creative. Two doors on the passenger side and one on the driver's.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

japtor posted:

It's actually a shorter (in height) model...of the bigger model :psyduck:. I vaguely remember rumors of them working on a smaller (than the Cooper) model, not sure what's happening with that, if anything.
That is still happening with the Coupe and Roadster as well as an even smaller city car to be introduced as a concept in a couple months. I think Mini making larger cars to satisfy people with that type of need means they are more likely to make smaller cars as well since they don't have to make one car to please everybody anymore. Larger being a relative term, since the Countryman is actually the same length as a Honda Fit.

BTW, Cooper and Cooper S are technically trim levels. Europe has the One, First, and Cooper D as well.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

I didn't realize it earlier, but that silver one is actually matte gray and the color will be available from the factory. :aaa:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

MINI is righting the universe by building a car smaller than the current Cooper Hardtop. They will be showing a concept version at the Geneva show. It has a carbon fiber frame, seats 3.5, and gets 94 miles to the English gallon. It's called the Bitch is Back Rocketman.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/02/22/world-premier-mini-rocketman/

Production version should be interesting, assuming it isn't too expensive. They are working on a Turbo 3-cylinder that's making the same power as the current Turbo 1.6 and it should fit in this just fine.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 23, 2011

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

^^^ and it's still the size of a Honda Fit.

Yeticopter posted:

Wait, so you're saying this bitch will get 90+ mpg and produce around the same 170 hp as the current R56 Mini? Somehow I'm skeptical.
The concept has some kind of hybrid powertrain but the production car should accomodate the gas 3 cylinder engine. So you get either the power or the economy. The MINI lineup in 2013 would be:

Hardtop (probably next gen car with I3)
Convertible
Clubman (probably the Paceman concept but with the addition of two rear-hinged doors)
Countryman (hopefully with road legal WRC variant)
Coupe
Roadster
Citycar (?)

I don't think any of them would have unique platforms. The whole point of all these new models is to spread the cost of development around, as the current MINI lineup is actually quite expensive to build.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

ozziegt posted:

Carbon Fiber frame? Umm, yeah, call me when that happens.

also:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-02/bmw-weaves-city-car-out-of-carbon-fiber-used-in-f1.html

Here they are crash testing it.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Look at this Saab.

Not a production car obviously, but the important part is that underneath it has the platform of the next 9-3 and is a preview of sorts for Saab's styling direction. This is the first car designed by their new guy Jason Castriota, who is probably best known for the Ferrari P4/5. Here is a video of him reciting a marketing spiel to Chris Bangle; he manages to get in a dig about Bangle butt. It has electric motors powering the rear wheels and a BMW/MINI (I'm guessing based on the specs) 1.6L Turbo 4 for the front wheels.

I'm on a bit of a Saab kick lately and I think it's amazing. Take the wings off and tone down the rear a bit and build it.

edit: here is a better video of it.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 2, 2011

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

You know how the new Jetta is poo poo? That's because they spent all their time on the new Beetle.

Will have the typical VW I5, TDI, and 2.0 FSI engine options. I'm amazed they pulled this off considering what they could have done and how the new Jetta and Passat turned out. The flatter roofline is more like the original and makes it look a little Porsche-y.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

SouthLAnd posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/26/2012-hyundai-veloster-first-ride-review/

Hyundai Veloster first drive on AB if you haven't seen it yet. I still haven't made up my mind on the looks of the thing. It's kind of fugly.
Inside Line did their usual suspension walkaround and noticed something weird about the brake caliper placement.

quote:

Why do it this way? I have no official answer, but a couple of possibilities come to mind. This layout puts both elements to the rear, a move that reduces nose weight and improves weight distribution.

"Yes, but that has to be small potatoes," you're thinking. I hear you, but every little bit helps on a nose heavy front-drive machine. Still, this is probably not the driving factor.

How about this one: Putting the brake caliper in its normal place opposite the steering may give the relatively heavy caliper a large moment to use against the steering, perhaps making brake vibrations more persistent and harder to damp out. The inertia effect might be significantly lessened by putting them closer together. Here the separation distance is just 1 or 2 inches instead of the usual 9 or 10 inches.
If that speculation is true, that's a ridiculous amount of attention to detail.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

dissss posted:

Its not that weird is it? Subarus have been like that for ages.
Not sure about Subaru, but every car I've bothered to look at has the brake caliper opposite the steering linkage. Front wheel drive cars have the steering links on the rearward side of the wheel for packaging reasons, so the caliper is towards to front of the car. Hyundai took some time to move them closer together.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Christobevii3 posted:

There might possibly be a turbo 4 one later.
Here's a Turbo variant undergoing testing. It has a different front end and 208 hp.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

tobu posted:

Let's not forget the Jukes sports-bike inspired centre console which I think looks awesome but it's just going to get scratched to poo poo right?
The variable button displays are pretty cool, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR3Jy5q67i8

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

US 500 Abarth!!! :woop: 160 hp, 170 lb-ft, 5-speed manual

I've been waiting for this car for two years and now I'm in a situation where I really shouldn't buy one. :smith:

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 16, 2011

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

leica posted:

Fake edit: http://carguideblog.com/16493/2012-mazda2-skyactive-13liter-engine-revealed-demio/

Looks very likely, 58 mpg is drat good if that's accurate
I'm fairly certain Mazda won't bring that engine to North America. The 2 isn't selling that well; doubt they'd invest in certifications. The next gen car should have all the SkyActiv stuff.

TLG James posted:

Anyone have a comparison between the mazda2 and the hyundai accent hatchback? I know they're both boring eco boxes, but I'm seriously wondering if the accent is hitting 40 mpg. The mazda2 is at 35mpg.
I did test drive an Accent but ended up buying a 2. The Hyundai didn't feel any quicker despite having about 40 more horsepower and it didn't handle nearly as well. It does feel like a bigger car though, if you like that kind of thing for highway driving. I think part of the reason the Hyundai is rated so well for fuel economy is that it has a shift light. The EPA takes that into account for their tests, but nobody who actually buys the car is shifting into 4th at 15 mph.

The 2 isn't as boring as you'd expect an economy car to be. I've had mine for 4 months and put almost 5k miles on it. The steering, brakes, and gearbox are all excellent and it rides fairly well for being such a small car. It's about as fun as you can expect a cheap and simple daily driver to be. I'm getting 35-38 mpg and most of that is spent going up and down hills at 70+ mph or in traffic. Bet I could hit 40 mpg if I wasn't in Southern California.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

So a flyer came across my desk today.

Even if it is my daily driver and I don't do the AC delete and I only take it to the track once every couple months for fun, $2600 seems like a good deal, no?

You can read about the fully prepped car here: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2300/killer-bs-honda-and-mazda-to-release-b-segment-racers.aspx

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

A5H posted:

I told you that was a real back end. It sucks. The side profile is lovely though.
Looks like a diagram of the female reproductive system.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

How about an actual cool new car that we like, the FIAT 500L?
That is cool, but from the back it's more or less the MINI Paceman that was unveiled last year (and which is going into production within a year).

My guess is that the base engine in the US for the 500L will be the 135 hp Turbo from the European Abarth/spectulated US 500T. The current 100 hp engine isn't going to cut it.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm pretty set on the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. Before I was set on a Mini Cooper S, but the Veloster Turbo has equivalent specs but gets better gas mileage on regular gas, as opposed to premium for the Mini. Plus it's like 10 grand cheaper.
Drive both before you make a decision. The Turbo will be different (hopefully), but reviews of the regular Veloster have been disappointing with regards to handling (and power, but that would change with the Turbo obviously).

The equivalent MINI should really only be 3-5k more than the Veloster Turbo. Not insignificant, but not 10k. Might as well look at the VW GTI and Fiat Abarth too.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Nodoze posted:

As a MINI owner, I would not recommend you buy one.

e: as far as the interior, the first gen ones are still weird but much better looking IMO. The gen2 ones look awful inside
I don't have any problems with mine and do recommend you at least drive it and do your homework before buying anything if you are interested in that type of car.

Get it with MINI Connected (you'll want this) or navigation and it looks a lot better. Nobody uses the center speedo anyway.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Looking forward to a new 80's retro Chrysler TC by Mazdarati.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Not a new car, but The Truth About Cars has an awesome 5-part article on the development and production of the Lexus LFA:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/07/the-making-of-the-lexus-lfa-supercar-an-inside-report-in-5-chapters/

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

bidikyoopi posted:

Some paint, stickers, and fender flares would go a long way for that car.
You are exactly right. http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6788&Itemid=2

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Left Ventricle posted:

Does anyone know anything about a possible electric Fiat 500? I think I saw one this morning on I-15 in Las Vegas. It had manufacturer plates, vinyl covers over the bumpers, an "EV" sticker on the rear glass, and when it accelerated away from me at the next exit, I heard the distinct whine of an electric motor.
They've been working on it for a while. It was supposed to be out already but has been delayed.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

ZippySLC posted:

I'll take bland over ugly any day of the week.
Good news, there's a normal gas powered one too!

Looks alright to me; the design will probably age better than the Sonata. They are doing one car worldwide this time around, so this is a few inches shorter and functionally a replacement for the Acura TSX.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

InitialDave posted:

aluminium-monocoque
I'm sure they thought of this and tested everything, but is anyone else concerned about durability of this off road? The Defender is an aluminum body, but the frame is steel right?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

The MINI Paceman is pointless, but at least it looks nice.

It's basically a less practical version of the Countryman, a car which was made because the regular hardtop MINI isn't practical enough. Reports so far are that it drives better than a Countryman, so there will inevitablely be a John Cooper Works AWD variant.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Q_res posted:

More pointless or less pointless than the MINI Coupe?
Less pointless but still pointless nonetheless.

I see an unusually high number of MINI Coupes around, so I guess it's a good thing I'm not in charge of the company.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Spatule posted:

New Jaguar F-Type leaked on Facebook or something:

I get strong Japanese Maserati vibes from it.
Wow. Very pretty car.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I didn't mind the center-mounted speedo in our '03, but it was easy to read at a glance. Between the glare, tiny font and tiny amount of visible needle, that doesn't seem to be the case with the newer ones. What the hell, Mini?
I have this and it's plenty readable, but nobody actually uses the center speedo. The current cars have a larger digital speedo than the old model.

The new model MINI will be out within a year anyway, and that doesn't have the center mount speedo. There's still a huge circle in the middle, it's just housing the radio/nav. You can sort of see it here: http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2013-mini-cooper-s-spy-shots_100394924_l.jpg

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Dielectric posted:

Behold, the MINI cupholder:

It's quite nice. Up and away from the gearshift, doesn't block anything, but also swings away for some reason. Also has a grahic indicating that stemware is not to be used. However, there is only one so the plebian passenger has to hold his drat drink hisself. There are two more down in the console, but they're currently blocked by my CB radio.
The first MINIs did not come with this, just some really small cupholders that everyone complained about. MINI sent a special cup to all the owners that would work with the cupholder. Then, they started putting the pictured one in cars about a year later.

Maybe not so much. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-road-test-reviews

quote:

When a member of our illustrious track-testing team brought the performance-results sheet to our desk, we admit that we snickered until we saw the braking perform­ance number. “Holy cow!” we said. “It stopped in 131 feet?! That’s better than a ZR1. That’s awesome—wait, what?” Turns out, the Smart ED is not actually fast enough to stop. It’s governed to a top speed of 63 mph, and our standard brake test is from 70 mph to standstill. So we did it from 60 mph because, well, it doesn’t actually matter.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

MrChips posted:

I dunno, I think BMW's new three cylinder sounds pretty good; it sounds a bit like an old air-cooled 911 to me.
Sounds like a 5-cylinder to me.

http://youtu.be/PIlkNXq8pu0

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think people are smacking them hard for the complaints around MyFord Touch or whatever it's called. It looks good on paper but most people seem to think it sucks rear end.
Everyone is calling out MyFord Touch, but Ford has other problems besides that. Their dual clutch transmission has been having problems (programming, bad clutch seals, etc.) and it's the only automatic offered on the Focus and Fiesta.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that throwing a touch screen in a car is incredibly dangerous in the hands on your average driver? I'm honestly scared of the idea. I hope it's a dumb gimmick and goes away soon.
Here's an interesting article about iDrive. Having used it for a while now I agree that it is so much better than touch screens. The BMW/MINI implementation of voice control isn't too bad either.

http://www.richardaucock.com/bmw-tells-me-why-its-instruments-are-lit-in-orange-an-idrive-insight/

quote:

‘But, if you’re trained in iDrive, you don’t use the buttons. You do the whole interaction WITHOUT looking at the controller.’

That’s fine, we wagered, but isn’t it even easier to have touchscreen? No, said a horrified engineer. See, touchscreen is absolute: ‘you need to guide your finger all the time, by looking at the screen.’ Imagine, they said, driving along and trying to input a nav destination.

‘iDrive is relative, though – you can turn, wait, give your attention to the road, but still know where you were when your eyes flick back.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Weinertron posted:

So the Hyundai group got caught cheating on EPA fuel economy.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm

Here is what they did wrong: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/11/hyundai-kia-mileage-mishap-how-it-happened.html

quote:

"This test is extremely complicated and delicate and sensitive," he said. "We have been introducing many different models of vehicles to the market over the past three or four years, so we need to handle various types of models within limited amounts of time. So that's made us improve the efficiency of the test itself — how you efficiently make the test and generate the results. By doing that … we added a little [sic] more steps."

An example: Hyundai-Kia used a test track instead of simulated public roads to break in its tires before testing, Cho said. That reflected inaccurate road resistance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

However, the 2.0T is basically the same car as the GTI underneath.
I test drove them back to back a couple weeks ago. The GTI is the more competent handler of the two. There's less roll and less drama on a rough road. The Hankook all seasons on the Beetle probably didn't help the handling of that car either. The Beetle could be easily improved if it had lighter/smaller wheels (18" standard!) and better tires (even a mid-level high performance all-season would be an improvement).

That said, I still like the Beetle a little bit more. It feels much less claustrophobic inside and the outside actually has some personality. Also, you can buy brand new 2012 Beetle Turbos for under $20k which is a ridiculously good value.