Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
It's been a terribly kept secret that Ford is building a Fiesta ST. Ford finally confirmed that the car will debut at the LA auto show next week. Instead of the widely speculated 180 hp, the 1.6L Turbo will make 197 hp.

quote:

A new high-output variant of the award-winning 1.6-liter EcoBoost® four-cylinder engine propels Fiesta ST with an estimated 197 horsepower and 214 lb.-ft. of torque. In comparison, Mini Cooper S makes do with 181 horsepower and 177 lb.-ft., while Chevrolet Sonic RS produces just 138 horsepower and 148 lb.-ft.

Unlike the competition, Fiesta ST doesn't simply look like a performance car; it's got the guts to back it up.

"This is a rewarding car to rev," says Mark Roberts, Fiesta calibration supervisor. "With 177 lb.-ft. of torque available from just 1,600 rpm and 214 lb.-ft. by 3,500 rpm, Fiesta ST gives the performance and feel of an engine twice its size. There's no waiting at all for the power to just push you back in your seat.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/26/ford-expanding-fiesta-line-with-high-po-st-frugal-1-0l-ecoboost/

It it ends up being a 75% Focus ST it will be wonderful. I hope it's available with the Recaro seats out of Focus without being part of a bajillion dollar option package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

travisray2004 posted:

E: Just read the autoblog article. They need to quit bloating up Minis.
The current gen is about an inch longer and and 20 pounds lighter than the previous gen. This one is slightly larger still, but not too much because they have bigger cars to fulfill those needs now. There should be a significant weight savings with the 3 cylinder. Since it's a shared BMW platform now, I'd expect some pretty nice upgrades from a mechanical and materials standpoint.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

travisray2004 posted:

While weight savings is always welcome, I don't see the point in making it larger. The original had good proportions for its class.
It's only getting a taller hood and larger front overhang due to the European pedestrian crash standards. That's the future, unfortunately. I went to look at the new Lexus IS last weekend and the first thing I noticed was that there's a good 8-10 inches between the front grille and anything functional behind it.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

MINI's official statement about the photos from the previous page:

MINI posted:

Aggressive and relentless papping is something British celebrities have had to learn to live with. Members of the Royal Family, as well as actors, footballers and top models are all familiar with the sensation of being caught in uncompromising situations, and now MINI is the latest victim. Absolutely unaware and without make-up, the youngest member of our family was caught by sensationalist photographers in a highly private moment. The young one was yellow and completely defenceless. We understand the worldwide interest in our family but it is not the British way to send such unfavourable pictures around the globe.

But like a good stiff-upper-lipped Brit, MINI shall not complain, although we would like to officially state that we are not flattered. The published pictures do not reflect our good looks any way. As every celebrity knows, those extra long telephoto lenses have the devastating ability to negatively distort all surfaces, lines and angles. Therefore our advice: next time come closer to the object of desire. If that doesn’t work, don’t worry, shortly you will have the opportunity to experience the MINI up close and personal, and to take pictures from all angles.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/07/03/mini-uk-responds-to-f56-spy-photos/

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Devyl posted:

More like "We know it looks bad; but please, wait until we can get our professional photography team to take amazing super high resolution photographs of such inane and trivial things as the pile count of the carpet or the detail of the bulb used in the right rear brake-light. Thanks again, and please buy our new car."
They have a point, though. Look at the picture from the previous page. The car looks like it has a serious underbite and the front looks crooked, like the passenger side is longer.

Compare that to the recent pictures from gmotors. The front isn't as flat from side to side and the top and bottom elements line up better.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Tacier posted:

The back end doesn't look like crap this time. Nice work Mazda!
You looked at the current Mazda 3, and the part you didn't like was the back?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Apparently nobody in marketing has any idea how lenses work. Telephoto lenses are typically much more flattering. Wide angles are what distorts perspective.
Huh? http://cameras.about.com/od/technologies/a/What-Is-Pincushion-Distortion.htm

It looks like they tried to apply some correction too. The front fender trim is one piece but it doesn't line up right.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Can we post about test drives in this thread too?

I drove a new 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback today. It's sooo good.

The one I drove is a 2.5 Auto in the top Grand Touring trim. It looked exactly like the one in the press photos.

Best things about the car:

- The interior is gorgeous for the most part. The metallic and gloss black trim pieces are really nicely done details. The gauges look great, the climate control knobs and dials are well done and solid. The iDrive-like knob for the nav/stereo is solid.

- The center screen is a touchscreen, so you can control it that way if you don't want to use the knob. I generally prefer the knob for reasons outlined here, but the touchscreen is nice if you're stopped and want to type in a street address.

- The system is really responsive. Probably because it's SD card based, it brings up my street name in about a second. The same operation in my MINI's DVD-based system takes 10+ seconds.

- Excellent power from the 2.5L engine. I think this engine makes more power than most of its competitors while the car is lighter. You can tell.

- The six speed auto is very good. It's responsiveness reminds me of a DSG. It doesn't shift as quickly as a DSG, but it's also smoother when starting or stopping.

- Great steering. It's responsive and has a bit of feel. It isn't as weighty or as planted as a Focus, though.

- The blind spot monitoring system is neat. It's a feature that I don't need but would like everyone else driving around me to have. In addition to the usual orange light in the side mirrors to let you know that something is there, the system will sound a short audible alarm if you signal or steer in the direction of the obstruction. The system will also warn you of cross traffic when backing out of a parking space. Very handy, and it comes standard on all but the basest trim level.

Things I didn't like:

- The paint quality seems rather poor. I know modern water-based paints have issues with orange peel, but this is more excessive than anything else I've looked at recently. The clear coat looked thin and dull. To add insult to injury, this shade of red actually costs $300 extra.

- I thought the heads up display was kind of gimmicky and it'll probably get old fast. The display reminds me of those green CRT screens from the 80s. It only shows your speed and limited navigation instructions- distance to and direction of next turn. The screen opens and closes when you turn on and shut off the car. I imagine the mechanism is full of plastic gears and it sits on what will be the hottest part of the interior. There's so much that can go wrong considering the minimal benefit of this feature.

- The headliner is so amazingly poor compared to the rest of the interior materials.

- I like the styling of the new front and rear end, but I wish they had kept the more upright wagon profile of the previous models. The tall front end and sloping rear can look really awkward from some angles:

:flaccid::flaccid::flaccid: Really, did they just put the new front and rear on top of the old parts?

The one I drove was $27k. My first thought was that is too much money for a compact Mazda. But having actually driven it and used some of the features, I'd say the price can be easily justified. My dad has a 2012 Focus hatchback and it's beyond competent in pretty much every way. The Mazda is too, but it's a lot more polished and it seems like every little thing has just had a little more thought put into it. I'd like to try one in a lower trim level with the 2.0; my guess is for 22-24k you can be just as happy and have the most significant toys.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 28, 2013

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

CharlesM posted:

I don't know if you had the opportunity to see but did you get any impression of the noise level in the car, especially at freeway speed? That's something that's not that great on my 2006.
I didn't notice, although I suppose that counts as an improvement over the 2004 6 wagon that my dad had and the 2011 2 that I had.

One thing I did notice on the freeway is that sixth gear is rather tall. At 70 MPH, the engine is turning only 2,000 RPM.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Some official information about the next generation MINI hardtop has been released: http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/09/29/mini-unveils-f56-new-engine-transmissions-we-go-hands-on/

- Cooper: 1.5L Turbo I3, 134 hp, 162 lb-ft (at 1,250 RPM!)
- Cooper S: 2.0L Turbo I4, 189 hp, 207 lb-ft
- 6 speed manual with automatic rev matching or 6 speed automatic
- Updated suspension geometry to reduce torque steer and increase steering feel
- Adjustable shocks

Seems a bit underpowered for a 2.0 Turbo, but hopefully they've focused on longevity and efficiency. It's still more powerful than the current Cooper S, which isn't exactly lacking in the real world. I bet they also left a lot of room for a more powerful model.

Unofficially, there are new spy shots. The car seems to have less of a flat face than the last set of pictures, although to me it still doesn't look quite right. This is a Cooper S, and if the current lineup is anything to go on, the Cooper might look better since it won't have the hood scoop or brake duct underbite at the bottom. I currently have a Cooper S but I'm much more interested to see the regular Cooper this time around. Seems like a decent combo of power, weight, efficiency.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Apparently the GM SUVs are getting a new transmission later. They probably couldn't be bothered to redesign the shift mechanism for the current transmission since it'll only be around for a year.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

The third generation MINI three door hatch (F56 model code in BMW speak) is being officially unveiled on Monday, see nonsensical teaser video here. In the mean time, a couple new variants have been spied testing:

F55, a five door hatchback. This is the 5 door Golf to the F56 three door. http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/new-mini-5-door-hatchback-spied-less-disguised/

F58, nicknamed "Spacebox" for the time being. This is more like the Jetta wagon in this family. Note the Clubman-style barn doors. http://www.worldcarfans.com/113111566174/2015-six-door-mini-travellerspacebox-spied-for-the-first

Spacebox looks like it has a lot of potential. This platform will accommodate AWD and diesel engines are planned, although not for the US initially.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

TheGoatTrick posted:

The third generation MINI three door hatch (F56 model code in BMW speak) is being officially unveiled on Monday
Oh hey, that's today! It's about 4 inches longer than the current car, 2 inches of which went into the front due to pedestrian impact standards. Weighs about 60 pounds more than the last car, which makes it about the same weight as the 2001 model.

Cooper S with 2.0L turbo 4 and goofy looking bumpers:

Cooper with 1.5L turbo 3. 0-60 in the mid 7s which I think makes it as fast as the first generation Cooper S (and it has about the same amount of torque). It's rated at 62.8 mpg UK, so I'll guess 46 mpg highway EPA rating.

No more center speedo. Instead there's a screen with optional iPhone/Android integration.

Other unnecessary options you can get: full LED headlights, self parking, heads up display, electronic dampers.

I'm indifferent about the styling changes but the three cylinder Cooper seems like a really nice package.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 19, 2013

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

So there's a Kia Forte SX 5 door too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-kia-forte5-turbo-test-review

How is this thing over a second slower to 60 than a Civic Si with the same power?
I test drove a Veloster Turbo with the same engine. I went in thinking that it would feel as fast as a GTI (same power) and a bit faster than my Cooper S (30 less hp). Instead, it felt like it was down 30-40 hp to those cars. It turns out that the GTI and Cooper S are massively underrated and I think Honda's numbers for the Civic SI might be too. Gearing also plays a part; I know the Hyundai (and probably the Kia) are geared for economy and the Civic SI isn't.

I had the same feeling driving a Kia Optima turbo. It doesn't feel like it has 274 hp.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really wish there were Allpar equivalent sites for every make and model because I'm sure the engineers at Ford and GM and Nissan and whatever all have great stories.
Here's a good site for British-built cars: http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/

Lots of history on design and development and a lot of prototype pictures.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

MINI is bringing a concept of the next generation Clubman to Geneva: http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/02/25/world-debut-mini-clubman-concept/. It's has four (six) doors now and is a separate model from the upcoming 5-door version of the standard Cooper 3-door hatchback. Got that?

Looks pretty close to the production version:

It'll have the same engine options as the regular Cooper, so 1.5L Turbo 3 and 2.0L Turbo 4. There will also be an AWD plug in hybrid model with electric motors on the rear wheels.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Has Toyota really become that lazy? BR-Z/FR-S twins and now twins with a BMW? For a Supra?!
Given projected sales numbers, these cars only make sense if the development cost is shared with another company.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

The current Lexus design language looks awful so it's at least better than a Lexus.
The Lexuses look really interesting in person. The detail curves are better in 3D and with actual normal lighting.

The Alfa looks like an Acura ILX with a body kit.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

I drove a mini as a rental and I confirm that it was the most fun I've ever had with a car having never driven an M3 before. Not only was the throttle responsive but you could really feel the acceleration and handling. Too bad all the reliability headaches make it the worst car to own.
Minis always score really high in customer satisfaction surveys and horrendously in quality surveys. People just put up with them. I've had mine for 8 years (although it's for sale now) and can kind of understand why. That being said, I don't think I'd buy another one.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Got an email from Mazda saying they're unveiling a new model on the 22nd. Anyone have any idea what it is?
Miata with retractable hardtop.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

leica posted:

No pics with the top all the way down?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Miata Club Sport: 29,4 with destination, no options
Fiat 124 Abarth: 29,2 with destination, no options
At those prices, the Miata has LED headlights and an upgraded stereo which is fairly decent. The 124 has heated cloth seats. Leather in the 124 Abarth is part of a $4k option package which also adds the stereo and LEDs, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Hopefully, for 2017, Mazda has figured out that people would pay a little extra for heated seats in the Miata Club. I know I would have, although I don't miss them as much as I thought I would.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

coolskillrex remix posted:

Too bad the 124 is apparently more fun to drive, let alone comparing it to the 124 abarth
Depends on who you ask. The initial press on the 124 was great (as it is with pretty much every car), and then people started to waver a bit when they actually drove them back to back. This goes into some good detail: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a30078/fiat-124-abarth-vs-mazda-miata-club-track-test/.

Also, the Miata is faster.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

coolskillrex remix posted:

The targa top Miata is so good looking that I would never buy a soft top one... I wonder if the brakes still work as well with like an extra 200lbs
Someone weighed an RF recently. It was within a few pounds of a base 124 so the weight gain over the soft top Miata is more like 100 pounds.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The chrome windshield surround is just so off putting. I wonder if someone will make body colored vinyl to wrap it.
All the other trim levels have it in black, which is fine.

I drove one of these at the auto show last week, but it was an automatic. Still, it was very nice and I hope they sell a lot of them (they won't, my local dealer is already offering $1700 off sticker).

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Manuals are as rare as hens' teeth and are being sold at a premium. They can't give the automatics away.
My local dealer has 5x more inventory than any other dealer I've seen for some reason. But they've got 3 manuals right now with that discount and a manual Abarth that I'm tempted to go check out.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Here's the new Genesis G70. It's a Kia Stinger but 6 inches shorter and without the liftback.

Early reviews seem promising and they *might* do a 2.0 Turbo and manual configuration. I think it looks really nice, grille aside.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Powershift posted:

Speaking of cars for fat people

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-lamborghini-urus-suv-arrives-with-641-hp-news

Here's a 4400lb V8 Lamborghini SUV that's slower than a Jeep.
Oh cool, a Honda Crosstour Type-R.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

KillHour posted:

This also totally ignores the fact that a big part of what makes a regional cuisine 'good' is variety. Detroit doesn't have a big Asian population compared to Irvine, but they have drat near everything else. Even the street tacos in Mexicantown are more legit than the insult to your taste buds you get in Irvine.
To be fair, Detroit is huge and Irvine isn't. If you factor in that Irvine is minutes away from Santa Ana and Garden Grove then the food quality and variety gets way better.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I wish they would put sliding doors on vehicles besides vans. Why wouldn't you want sliding doors on an SUV???
I wish the Tesla Model X had sliding doors. They would be way more useful than the doors it has now. And then sliding doors would be "cool" and other companies would copy them.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

fknlo posted:

Is there anything glaringly bad with the current Tucson? My friend that has been shopping for a while thinks it's what she wants to go with. I'm trying to talk her into the Sport trim since the upgraded headlights are better than on the lower trims, but she's trying to avoid leather and of course they wrapped the wheel and shift knob on that level.
My father in law just bought a 2019 Toyota Rav4 XLE, which has cloth seats and a urethane steering wheel. It's otherwise nicely equipped with LED headlights, heated seats, and a power liftgate. I drove it and it was a pleasant enough experience.

Bonus points for having port injection and an automatic transmission with actual gears.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Ror posted:

Why is that screen there? Why isn't the center just redesigned to incorporate it? I guess it's to keep the lines of the dash going across the whole car for aesthetics but I can't believe so many car designers are just shrugging and sticking a tablet on top. At least some of them go down, but I know some cars only will when the car is off.
Here's Mazda's explanation of why the screen looks the way it does (skip to 3:05): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTMRzYKIgrA

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's too bad the new Miata doesn't have an option for no screen at all with something basic like a single din music/bluetooth player. Most people don't buy Miatas for the entertainment system to begin with it's not about that, leave it for the touring trim automatic cars or something.
You could do this, but then you'd lose all of the settings that are controlled through the screen.

BTW I have a current Miata and the screen is totally fine. Its out of your sightline, dim enough at night, and the physical controls are way better than the touch screen in my other car.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Holy crap that's awesome. Is there a kit for it or is that a DIY job someone did?
The video I took the screenshot from is in Chinese, so I don't know if an off the shelf kit is available. But I have taken my screen out to install a backup camera and Android Auto. The screen and its controller are a single assembly (along with the plastic piece the screen is sitting on) and when you take it out, there is a lot of space in the dash to install a different system. You could actually get something like this and have a fold away screen.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

kimcicle posted:

Didn't the base 1.5L ND Miata come without a screen? I swear that it was the base option in other markets, and it was just a control knob and a bunch of memory buttons...
The Sport trim in the US had this, until backup cameras became mandatory. Looks as bad as the screen but without the utility.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Ror posted:

The actual most annoying thing when looking at new Miatas seems to be that it's surprisingly hard to find the regular roadsters since the RF version came out. The RF has a neat look but I decided the normal one is still the best choice and it turns out that most dealers only have about 1 non-RF for every half dozen RFs they have, if they have any non-RF at all.

I would love if new cars came in colors too. A NOT RED color. I bring that up because you have to get an RF if you want the slightest hint of a color, but it's every manufacturer that offers 5 terrible monochrome colors now. Or maybe you can pay an extra grand for some garish racing color. Let me drive a dark green car you cowards.
Just wrap ittm

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

EnergizerFellow posted:

Anybody know who this MotoManTV guy is on Youtube? He seems to have way more real wealth than garden-variety rich youtubers, talks like somebody with a formal engineering background, and from various comments made in passing, probably some executive-level guy in something at least tangential to the automotive and/or aerospace world.
His bio says he worked in tech, notably at Apple in the 90's and on the framework for apps.

I've been enjoying all of his recent classic car reviews. His channel also has some in-depth interviews with well known folks in the industry (Lutz, Albert Biermann, Dave Coleman, etc.).

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

I test drove an Accord Hybrid. The Accord felt significantly more solid than my Optima did, and the ride quality was a lot better. The Accord soaked up small road imperfections, and larger impacts did not punch their way into the cabin. The Accord's steering was taut, and the noise floor was pretty low. The Honda hybrid system is transparent outside of full throttle scenarios, and offers a nice amount of pep. I'd like to see a one-pedal experience, which feels like it should be possible given the quasi-EV nature of Honda's hybrid system. The interior ergonomics were great, and the materials quality in the cabin was good.

I really liked it until I was quoted an out-the-door price of $35K. Then I remembered that the upgraded stereo is mediocre, because Honda has to leave at least one reason for someone to buy an Acura TLX, and I still don't get ventilated seats at that price. I'd be happy stepping one trim down to the EX but I can't shake the fact that Honda still gives you a plastic steering wheel in a $30K car.
I have had an Accord Hybrid for 18 months and you've pretty much summed my experience. It is drives beautifully; quiet and comfortable without being a total boat. It is naturally aspirated with port injection and no CVT, which takes care of the three biggest potential failures in modern cars. It has all the modern car stuff- blind spot monitors, Carplay/Android auto, heated seats. The emergency braking and lane keep work reasonably well. The lane keeping system is pretty unobtrusive; it certainly isn't as aggressive or annoying as the one in modern Toyotas. My only complaints are that the regen paddles don't hold their setting for more than ~10 seconds, and that the car is maybe 8 inches too long.

I solved the leather steering wheel problem with a wrap specifically made for the Accord. Took a few hours to install but totally worth it.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 6, 2021

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

melon cat posted:

Unsure if this is the correct thread to ask, but what's the verdict on Honda's hybrid drivetrain system in terms of reliability?
It has no turbos, no direct injection, and no transmission. Should be pretty reliable. I've had zero issues with my 2019 Accord hybrid.

I really like this car. It is quiet, comfortable, and efficient. The price was only a couple grand more than the gas Accord, and for that I got a little more power and a lot better gas mileage.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Interesting. I thought the hybrid rental I had was a CVT but it’s something else?
The Honda system has the electric motor directly driving the wheels most of the time. When the engine turns on, it is only running a generator to charge the batteries. At highway speeds under light load, the engine can drive the wheels directly through a reduction gear. That mode is meant for efficiency- Honda figured out some range of speed or load where the engine can efficiently power the car.

Interestingly, if you floor it, you get power from the electric motor only. If the engine is coupled to the wheels when you do this, it will disconnect and rev up to charge the batteries as quickly as possible.

I like this system. It is torquey at lower speeds and super quiet most of the time. I'm averaging about 45 mpg in my 2019 Accord even though most of my driving is 70+mph on the highway and stroads with higher speed limits, which are not ideal for the system.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

Cynically, I think the critical reaction is a result of Vinfast being an easy target. Journalists know there won't be any meaningful repercussions for hitting out at Vinfast like there would be for outright trashing terrible cars from traditional automakers.

I test drove one. It feels incomplete. If they had just spent a little more time on some details like tuning the suspension and improving the software it could be alright.

It does need to be less expensive, though. Nobody is going to pay Ioniq 5/Mach-E/Model Y money for this.