Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nebakenezzer posted:

Guys, I just found the worst tangentially-aviation-related job of all time.

WANTED: People to Handle poisonous spiders on a daily basis

A long time ago, I worked at a zoo. Handling spiders is something you can get used to with familiarity, and I mean you can go from ohfuckno/handsareshaking --> nervous, but this is okay if I'm gloved and go slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Those tunnels are absurdly cavernous, too. They easily exceed 60 feet in height and feel like you're driving through the belly of a stripped-out supertanker

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You can string up a hammock on a biplane :c00lbutt:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You just need a key.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

What kills me is when I'm talking to a gate agent face-to-face and I say "I've got seat 31 bravo and I was hoping for 13 charlie" and they look like they've never heard the words "bravo" or "charlie" before. Immediately after, they ask "what's your record locator" and it's some five-character thing like "x-ray five charlie romeo foxtrot" and there's this solid, blank stare. I've just prepped you for the fact that I'm going to use a standardized phonetic alphabet for letters since we're in a noisy gate environment and I don't want to have to yell my information or say something twice. Don't pretend like you've never heard these words before in this context Ms "20 years' service" Gate Agent.

Or maybe the blank stares are because they're trying to process that one of the pieces of self-loading cargo may be somewhat competent?

A lot of my clients' employees are military/ ex-military, and I can tell you that it's hard for our tiny monkey brains to comprehend sounds in a way we haven't practiced. When you say "Foxtrot," I don't hear F, I hear an English word that takes the barest moment of interpretation to comprehend. As our social interactions usually transpire without comprehension delay, yeah the additional latency is going to be awkward. There's a little shock, too: "Why is this guy choosing to stand out with phonetic alphabet right now, does s/he want me to treat him/her differently for some reason?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

:siren: SECRET TRENT AFTERBURNER MODE :siren:

Closed cycle phase change expansion fuel turbopump.

What you're witnessing is the fuel heater.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StandardVC10 posted:

This list doesn't have the Minijet though:

Look at it!

It's....cute?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cun/T Cor/K

In other news, diva cups are p good

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CommieGIR posted:

This thread needs more Hustle:

That's a weird looking Foxbat, whose is it? :eng99:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

....why?

Is that talking about having a mechanic in an area traditionally inaccessible in flight?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

High bypassenger turbofan

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Finger Prince posted:

If I knew how to change thread titles I would have done it by now.

Talk to a mod or report your post. You're the op, it'll happen.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What the gently caress, 300%?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Minnesota Mixup posted:

JWST scares the crap out of me. The thing is so unbelievably complex at this point and it's going to be beyond servicing range. I did an internship at Goddard a couple of years ago and they were putting the mirrors on and in the viewing room for the clean room they have monitors that continually loop an animation of the unfolding and the number of steps is unreal.

I wish NASA's budget wasn't so small and volatile, it would have been a cool place to do a postdoc but civil service jobs afterwards are a pipe dream.

It's going to be absolutely nail-biting horrific to picture so much capabilitiy and treasure strapped to the top of a bomb like a hostage.

I'm trying to think of the last time we had, what, $8Bn on a single launch?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:bisonyes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Does someone have to hook up and test hydraulic lines after each cargo loading/unloading?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm suddenly more concerned about tail strikes than usual

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

e.pilot posted:

the complete lack of technical advancement in aviation piston engines in the last 50+ years is beyond frustrating

Are we at least pushing incentives for advancement, i.e. taxing the hell out of leaded fuel and thus covering the externalities of its continued use?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MrChips posted:

What happened to that one to make the front fall off?

I know the fan section can be removed

I was going to ask where the plane went.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Craptacular posted:

Unsurprisingly, the technology has been successfully militarized.

(old as gently caress, I know)

Screw the stealth plane, I'm interested in the stealth missiles in the background.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RandomPauI posted:

During the Facebook shooting people pointed out the mig-17 thing as if it was proof of a false flag attack because???

Because there remains not a single unbroken American brain.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

um excuse me posted:

So the US Navy just bought a C-130J from Britain for conversion to a new Fat Albert.

:phoneb: "Hey, is your Prince Albert running?"
:phone: :confused:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

0toShifty posted:

Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: The last time I got sucked out at Mach 0.8, I took a poo poo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Butt Reactor posted:

That's too bizarre, this might be the first documented instance where a goon rode in a goon-captained jet. Sorry about the delay getting out of the gate, we had to get ballast to offset the jumpseater and deicing was a pain obviously due to weather.

Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, Butt Reactor took the wheel

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ausgezeichnet posted:

I used to laugh about stuff like that being on checklists, but after nearly 35 years in commercial aviation I no longer dismiss those reminders.

This paragraph carries some freggin' gravity, goddamn.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blugu64 posted:

Texas should have Marines, to reclaim eastern New Mexico and parts of Colorado.

Texas has plenty of police willing to commit crimes :colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

70% of my KSP takeoff attempts

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

drgitlin posted:

gently caress off.

Yer average Joe doesn't know how to tell an f14 and 15 apart, nonetheless the oodles of varieties of cropdusters and little hobby planes :shrug:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Best goddamn styling in a good long time

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:yeshaha:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pffff y'all don't know loud till you're loving around in a propulsion laboratory

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I too can momentarily disable gravitation

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

One week later hot drat

God: "Okay, for this next encounter you have the same approach, same right fixed wheel missing but a left crosswind, and roll initiative for the two CR 3 giant scorpions on the airfoil..."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 16, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Particularly given the high angle of the camera, I'm guessing that plane rolled off the end and is being photographed from shore, and it shouldn't be that hard for anyone to determine this

(edit - to be clear, exactly as you're insinuating)

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 29, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MikeCrotch posted:

The implication seems to be that the instruction slipped/fell out of the harness totally, leaving the student still attached to the parachute?

No, I don't know how that happens either. The article seems to be implying that this could only be done intentionally on the part of the instructor, if that's even possible.

Having dealt with high-risk insurance when dealing with untrained/novice individuals before (climbing training, youth pistol marksmanship training), shouldn't one other accredited person have checked the protective gear of both the student and the instructor before they jumped?

I never start a climbing session without having someone double check my judgment of the fit of someone's harness and the proper lay of their straps. Usually people keep a harness on in between multiple climbs so it really isn't much of a bother.

When youth are on the range, I absolutely positively never ever trust just one person to manage that range. There's one person with the shooter, handling the pistol with them always, and the range officer doing his/her normal tasks entirely separately. There's also never two youth on the line simultaneously. Most insurance providers are way more lax on rifles and even youth shotgun handling because muzzle control is so much easier with a long barrel. When a kid is still inexperienced or novice, it really is too easy to make mistakes with a pistol/trainer without a steady stream of simple and clear instructions about muzzle control from an instructor.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 30, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If someone's going to screw up on procedure, I 100% believe it's going to be an instructor. The only accidents I've observed where youth were involved are as follows
-climbing on a rope that I discover later had taken way too many hard falls with too heavy people (instructor's fault for not checking line-by-line in the rope's log before running it up, instead assuming the person putting it away did their work right)
-climbing with improper lay of straps in the buckles of a harness (don't do it right and it wont provide enough static friction in a hard enough fall). Only happened twice, and both were instructors who didn't insist that someone check their protective gear
-shotgun blowing away a rafter of a trap house because the shooter was shooting doubles, missed the first target clay, and brain-farted on remembering that there was a second target to attempt. The end result was a semi-auto shotgun held vertically by a disappointed shooter, then boom, then splinters and a partially-dangling wood and shingle roof. Again, an instructor, and my only suspicion is that he was getting too comfortable keeping his fingers in the trigger well, and his brain didn't add 1 + 1 to equal 2 when the semi-auto was closed and he went for a reload. If I had to guess, the log of his brain activity was: oh poop I missed, raise gun skyward because up is safer than downrange?, better reload, okay the bolt is closed so I need to pull it open again, I'll need a tighter grip with my left hand when pulling so I might as well tighten my grip now whoops my right hand went tight too because humans tend to execute commands symmetrically when we're distracted, so my right fingers, including my trigger finger, are tightening, and oh dear that trigger finger is still in the trigger well
-minor procedural errors on the part of the young shooter, not really worth mentioning as they are all mitigated quickly and were never dangerous thanks to the use of trainer pistols (plastic fake guns) and excellent one-on-one trainers on the line with them, making sure teens have stuff down 110% before handling the real deal

Anyway, to make this post relevant to Aeronautical Insanity again, safety procedure exists for a reason: human brains are terrifically complex devices that absolutely will fail on you. The more rigidly you adhere to your checklists, your mnemonics, your nursery rhymes every time you do X thing, the more natural it becomes. That's a double-edged sword:

( + ) The mind is more free to dedicate resources to troubleshooting when you perceive something is amiss and you're able to look for trouble by going through checklists on autopilot. This is particularly true of range safety officers in my experience, and from that video of a British Airways pilot handling a dying engine in a P-51 at an airshow, it's pretty important for a pilot as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBpqvPujZgM

( - ) We get comfortable in our checklists and can slip into a habit of breezing through them without spending conscious effort on each bullet point, especially when there are family or friends watching. The proliferation of in-cockpit streaming/recording makes me nervous -- some people might feel silly singing "Old MacDonald had a plane, C-I-G-A-R, and on that plane he had controls, C-I-G-A-R...." to themselves if they were recording for their YouTube channel.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 30, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hi train threa- :yikes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:stonk::fh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad