Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

The other option is you can buy NFL game rewind, but you won't be able to watch the Sunday games until a day or two later.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I remember watching condensed Sunday games before Monday night football, but I could be wrong.

Also for those who don't know, Madden 98-01ish had the ref saying "giving him the business" for every personal foul in the worst quality imaginable, and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

football fuckerman posted:

Actually you'll find that the worse teams in the league appear in 16 games but only play in 5 or 6 of them

:smith::respek::smith:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ozu posted:

None. You can refuse to report like Richard Seymour did when he was traded to the Raiders, but eventually they realize they have no say in the matter and being paid is way more important.

Seymour didn't refuse to report. He just didn't say anything to the media for a few days while he was getting his poo poo together. There was a lot of speculation, but he ended up saying he'd won a Super Bowl, and had a great career. His kids were starting school, his family was settled in. It swept his legs out from under him, and he was going to make sure his family was taken care of first. But all the same, he was traded for on I think Thursday, and was playing on Monday.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

[long, terrible pause echoing down the dim melancholy halls of history] nah

All the best prospects in every sport from Chicago go to like, Ohio State.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

The AFC West is lol Raiders.

I miss it being lol raiders and chiefs. KC abandoned us. :(

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nebraska Windmills injury report

WR Andre Peters (suicide watch) PROBABLE
S Deangelo Thurmond (suicide watch) PROBABLE
TE Larry Reynolds (self-mutilation) DAY TO DAY
QB Tony Bertelson (missing person) QUESTIONABLE
G Asante Davis (brown recluse bite) OUT
DL Joe Henry (attempted suicide) IR

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Keep in mind recruiting is a lot like the draft. 5 star prospects flame out, and 2 star prospects go on to be NFL hall of famers. In college, it seems like finding the right players to succeed in a scheme is the most important thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

But we don't really hate Tom Brady or Peyton Manning that much at all. The Pats/Colts/Broncos yes but everyone seems to have a positive opinion of the two of them. Why Elway specifically? If it's just for crushing the hopes and dreams of Cleveland then well, we should hate almost the whole NFL.

He has a really punchable face, but beyond that, it's probably his stupid California golden boy schtick. He was the number one high school recruit, and the number one draft prospect. He straight up told the team with the 1st overall pick that he didn't want to play for them and threatened to play baseball if they picked him, which was pretty lovely and against the spirit of the draft. He also played for the Broncos which, being a really easy guy to hate, made him the face of a poo poo ton of terrible losses in the playoffs and Super Bowl, which added to the "Haha gently caress you Elway" element. Especially since he wasn't as good as Marino but was always just as hyped up, usually moreso. gently caress Elway. I pissed off some broncos fan in an Elway jersey at the game sunday because their mascot was hanging out by the gate and taking pictures with people, and I was like "Oh hey, that's nice of Elway to come out and sign autographs for the fans before the game."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

I hate Peyton Manning that much.

same

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cole posted:

If I have the leverage to not go to a piece of poo poo organization I would probably take advantage of it. Why spend the next several years in a miserable place if you don't have to? At this point if Mariota pulled some poo poo like that on th Bucs I would totally understand, and we don't even have any talks of secret backdoor dealings to get the team moved.

Seriously, why spend years in a poo poo hole? Be miserable for the' spirit of the draft?' lol

And you're mad at Elway for the hype that OTHER people give him? That's pretty weak.

I mean I guess I can understand hating him for the way he stiffed the Colts like 32 years ago, but I don't really blame the guy for what he did.

And as far as being the number one recruit, that's basically saying you just hate really good players isn't it? Did you hate Reggie Bush or Andrew Luck?

It's not about what he wants to do. I couldn't give a poo poo less what he wants to do. I care about my entertainment value, and the draft is meant to create parity and a fun league. If I wanted to watch a sport where players could just choose what teams they wanted to go to, and the same handful of teams dominate every year, I'd watch college football. So gently caress him for that. And it's not that he was a really good player. He was the prototypical douche. The best at everything he ever tried in his entire life, with his stupid little 80's California attitude. It is extremely easy to root for a guy like that to fail and fail hard. The only player who is really comparable is Carson Palmer, and Palmer got humbled in a big way. So did Elway in those Super Bowls, but (are you ready for this) gently caress Elway.

Cole posted:

This is a decent answer. But hating a guy for hype is like hating someone just because ESPN talks about them too much. I'm usually just annoyed by ESPN. Or Nike for the Jeter commercials.

You...didn't hate Tebow? :confused:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

She took Baltimore, and she gave you seven points? Or you gave her seven? If you said "Patriots by seven or more" then you owe her, if not then she owes you, either way don't make bets you don't understand imo

a public service announcement, from football fuckerman

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SkunkDuster posted:

I assume there isn't a rule against it, but is there any good reason why a team wouldn't want to run up the score?

The NFL doesn't operate on BCS polls.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Bengals clearly did it against I think the Browns, and I don't remember it even being mentioned by anyone. There was like a minute left, up 14 or so, and came out throwing the ball and got another TD.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

wheez the roux posted:

gently caress that no its not, loving the broncos lifeless corpse is one of the most satisfying football memories of my life

same. i really miss good mcfadden. :sigh:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sash! posted:

How come the center can move his head around and stuff and that doesn't count as a false start because it looks like it is

Center gets to call line protections. That's why you'll see them pointing at dudes on defense and things like that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:laffo: You know what, screw standings. The playoffs should be entirely based on point differential.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Depends. 4-3 studs can pretty much play anywhere on the line. JJ Watt and Richard Seymour are two I can think of. Not sure so much about 3-4, since I'm not sure if any 3-4 ends can handle playing NT, and vice versa.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The umpires don't even know the rules in AFL.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's a video somewhere of Kobe and MJ talking poo poo to each other and it's really funny.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's a big deal, but it's not quite like basketball or baseball. 6 or so pro bowls and 1 or 2 all-pros in a 12 year career is enough to get you in hall of fame contention. There are some guys who are so good that they get in every year, like Peyton, Tony Gonzalez, and Junior Seau, but it's far more common for players to miss out on a year or two here and there, or only be dominant for 5 or so years and rack up all their awards along that stretch.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Seano posted:

One thing I'll say, having been an NBA fan for about 10 years now is that the lore and stories of the NFL are a million times more entertaining. In so much as this sport just has some crazy motherfuckers in it. It's a shame I can't really seem to find many more good documentaries than what 30 for 30 did. I caught an interesting one on Tom Brady and the quarterbacks taken before him, loved that. Also saw a decent one on Brett Favre. I'd love to watch more if you guys can recommend any.

A tragic tale so utterly soul crushing, shakespeare was like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6qrW1mdRmQ

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also Urlacher and Bettis were really goddamn good Chiche you dummy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Thanks, that was a good article.

If the nameless individual wants more info on how the ZBS works here is a great breakdown from Fieldgulls. The Seahawks run a ZBS under Carroll. I don't know who else in the league uses it.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2014/2/18/5394212/seahawks-marshawn-lynch-zone-blocking-scheme-tom-cable

The Texans.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Metapod posted:

That game was amazing

Actually, it was not.

He was pretty forgettable all in all. 30 years from now when the buttfumble is long forgotten and Mark Sanchez's kids are owning the league, I'd forgive people for not knowing Mark Sanchez played football.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jerome Agricola posted:

He was the best Saints QB before Brees. So yeah, pretty forgettable.

The only reason I knew him was from an old VHS of football follies, and that dude was all over it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
WR/TE, everywhere in the trenches except for speed rushers, and corners/safeties seem to have the longest non-kicker/ST careers. Fairly common to see guys in the 35-38 range who can still play at those positions. WR especially seems to be a position where old guys who are one or two pro bowl appearance good and not first ballot HoF good manage to last a long time. You can find someone who played for loving ever at literally any position, it's just rarer in some. It mostly depends on finding ways to be successful that don't rely on athleticism. It's easy as a QB, but as a running back, you have to have an extremely rare quality of vision to be able to still gain positive yards a la Emmitt Smith and Frank Gore. DB's who aren't named Darrell Green (dude still runs a 4.4 :psyduck:) have to become deep safeties who use their intelligence and experience to be in the right place at the right time and make plays, and it's roughly the same but much harder for linebackers. Receivers have to find a way to win one on one matchups that don't rely on using speed to exploit a defender. It just depends on the players style and their injury history.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 10, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Strahan tore his ACL in a sack celebration once, but he convinced everyone that he did it during the play. He only came clean after he retired.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well if anyone could easily lie through their teeth its him

noice

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
RG3 was like Allen Iverson, but in the NFL, Shaq gets to tackle you, and welp.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

As a ball-carrier? I wouldn't expect to see a ball-carrier penalised for leading a shoulder into contact.

there's no helmets in rugby.

Philthy posted:

That is pretty cool. He didn't even need to step out of bounds, with experience that would have been one or two more yards.

but it was so much more badass this way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EvilElmo posted:

Who should I go for? In the AFL (Australian sport) I go for Collingwood Magpies. A previously working class (now rich) area that everyone loves to hate, long history in the compeition and won a fair amount of premiership's. Is there an equivalent team?

Mostly enjoy the love to hate aspect. Lots of big games/grudge matches as a result.

Way back, but does any NFL team have the reputation as having the most racist fans? The Raiders are similar to Collingwood in that their fans have a reputation for being criminals, but the key difference is that Raiders fans have a reputation for being minorities whereas Collingwood fans have a reputation for calling minorities apes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The obvious answer is Washington, because as far as I know, no other NFL teams use a slur as their team name.

Ah yes, that would fit.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also Pittsburgh, Philly, Green Bay. Really most of America is racist so it's easy to find terrible people in every fanbase

You don't know Collingwood. After an Aboriginal player complained to the media that a Collingwood player called him a black bastard after a tackle, Collingwood came out to this banner. The pacifier is in the color of the Aboriginal players team.

it's a proud tradition

this however, is very raiders

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Seano posted:

4. Unrelated but I wanted to ask, do they have home and away stands for fans like they do here for "soccer" in football? I always see shots of the stands with some dude in a Giants jersey celebrating in a crowd of opposing fans. If you tried that here you'd get punched at least and I mean at very least. If I can only get a ticket in the away stand I'm not wearing team colors and I'm being quiet as gently caress.

Yes and no. Generally fans of the away team will want seats behind the away teams sideline, and fans of the home team will want seats behind the home teams sideline. Just so you can see the players on the team you're a fan of. But tickets are expensive, and if you can get better seats for the same price, or save some money, by getting seats somewhere else, people will do it. So it ends up with everyone being all mixed up. It generally goes down without incident.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

3 DONG HORSE posted:

When patriots defend this country despite knowing it is imperfect, they are referring to baseball

Checks out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Seano posted:

Currently writing the OP for my new thread "So the NFL finished so who should I follow in American Cricket?"

lol if australian football isn't your offseason sport

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OperaMouse posted:

Tell me more about scouts.

How in demand are good scouts, i.e. the foot soldiers of the front office?
Are they gone the second another clubs offers a few more pennies?
Does quality automatically means an eventual promotion?
Is it a job that requires actual skill or training, or do some people "just have it?"
Is their role diminished in "moneyball-like" front offices?

I'm not super well versed in this, but I did look into it a while back because it's interesting. Basically the scouting pipeline starts at college level recruiting. From there, they establish networks with college coaches and if they're lucky, eventually they'll get some entry level work with an NFL team. But there doesn't seem to be much turnover in scouting. Every team has a ton of scouts who have been with them for decades. If they move up to taking larger roles with the team, like GM, their seats get a little less stable. The one other thing to mention is that it's an extremely nepotistic line of work. Think of a racing family like the Earnhardt's, the Andretti's, etc. Their kids get introduced to racing at a way younger age, and have so many privileges when it comes to racing that people who aren't raised by a race car driver don't get. The same is true for kids who grow up in NFL families. If you're hanging out in the front office at 6 years old watching film, the odds anyone is going to be able to exceed what you can do without having the same childhood is not very good. So these families are all really well entrenched and they don't move around a whole lot. Of course, other people do get into it via the pipeline I was just discussing, but it's not nearly as common.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 18, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
worst is the raiders, second worst is the chargers. both of those stadiums are trashcans

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ostentatious posted:

what does a winning season feel like

I'll tell you in January. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The coliseum owned for a long time actually.

• Locked thread